[FINISHED] Camera LED Flash w/incoming call/sms

Search This thread

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Hey guys,

I wanted to summarize the compatibility issues here.

The version I posted earlier works on the Droid, Desire, and EVO for sure. It may also work on some other HTC and Motorola phones if they have the same flash API, but there is no guarantee that they do.

For the Nexus One, you need to be running Froyo and use the Froyo version of the app. Prior to Froyo, flashlight on the Nexus One required root and I don't plan on downgrading my Nexus One back to 2.1 and rooting it just to develop this. I released the Froyo version on the Market but didn't post it here because this is an EVO forum. However, I'm attaching it to this post now. I've tested it with my Nexus One running the first Froyo leak and it works.

For Droid Incredible, I guess it has a different flash API so this app isn't working. Unfortunately I don't have a Droid Incredible so I can't investigate it. I've looked around though and it looks like only one person has figured it out and it's a pretty crazy hack that has a side effect of crashing your camera. But the good news is the flash API in Froyo is standardized, so once you get the Froyo update the Froyo version of this app should work on your phone.

Summarizing the summary:
- Got an EVO, Desire, or Moto Droid? Great, download standard version of app from Market or earlier in this thread.
- Got Froyo? Download the Froyo version of the app, attached or from the Market.
- Got some other Motorola or HTC phone? You can download the standard version and give it a try, but don't get your hopes up.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• com.rrsllc.flashlightAlerts22.apk
    17.9 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
On the Droid, with Froyo on it, the app makes the camera shutter sound but doesnt cause the flash to go off.

Are you using the standard version or the Froyo version?

Also it's possible that the Froyo ROM you're using doesn't correctly implement the Froyo flashlight API since it's not actually official at this point. Wish I could be more helpful but it is a custom ROM...

Mercxedx64

Jul 6, 2006
Can this be done for the HD2 as i tried an attempted for myself to do this by hacking registry camera flash values in Jan 2010. I was unsuccussful.

Has anyone made an attempt for Winmo/HD2 ?

-- I know this is an Android thread, but i don't think its been done fully on the Winmo plaform.

Could anybody point me in the right direction?

Thx :)

Last edited:

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com

Geggan

Apr 22, 2010
Sweden
Thanks for a great app!! I appreciate your work.

Is it possible to add support for notification flash so the camera led flash like the front led on the desire when you got a message or a missed call?

arw01

Jun 12, 2010
another thought on picking up email notifications

Can you get at the graphic of the notification bar?

Can you hook into the sounds notification? Are those supressed by the app, or the system api if the phone is on silent or notifications sounds are turned off?

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Can you get at the graphic of the notification bar?

Can you hook into the sounds notification? Are those supressed by the app, or the system api if the phone is on silent or notifications sounds are turned off?

Android exposes an AccessibilityService API that lets you get at all the notifications that are displayed in the notification bar. However, it's a bit more difficult to implement so it's probably going to take me until the end of the week. Also, it requires a background service to be running. That has battery usage implications, so I want to be sure to test thoroughly before releasing.

DeathStolas

Apr 25, 2010
Limestone
Are you using the standard version or the Froyo version?

Also it's possible that the Froyo ROM you're using doesn't correctly implement the Froyo flashlight API since it's not actually official at this point. Wish I could be more helpful but it is a custom ROM...

I'm using the froyo version of the app, and jrummy's froyo rom. Its most likely what you said, I wasn't trying to down talk the app. Just trying to share my experiences. It did however work great on my wifes 2.1 droid!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Great app for my HTC EVO 4G, made a donation.

Would it be possible to only have the LEDs flash when the phone is face down?

Sounds like a great idea. I'll implement it.

I'm using the froyo version of the app, and jrummy's froyo rom. Its most likely what you said, I wasn't trying to down talk the app. Just trying to share my experiences. It did however work great on my wifes 2.1 droid!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I thought you were. When official Droid 2.2 comes out it should support this new API (FLASHLIGHT_MODE_TORCH) and everything should be good :) If you haven't tried the non-Froyo version though you might want to try that. It's possible jrummy's Froyo ROM still has the Moto-specific API in it which the standard version would be able to tap into.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED VERSION NOW AVAILABLE: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=14961111

Alright, here we go. This app will flash your LED when you receive a phone call or when you get a new text message. Unfortunately it can't do it when you get new emails since there is no standard system notification for email among the many email apps (Email, Gmail, K9, etc.).

Here's a screenshot of the app, Flashlight Alerts:

9Cj9J.png

The APK is attached and it is also available in the Market for $2.99 if you'd like to donate:

img.php

It was actually a real pain to put together since there is no standard flashlight API prior to Froyo, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. Let me know if you run into any issues!

PS: I would appreciate it if somebody could check if this thing is actually in the Market on their EVO. It's showing up there on my Nexus One but not on my EVO. Hmm... Fixed this. Stupid bug in the Market makes it so that if you mark your app as requiring a camera with flash, it doesn't show up for EVO.

Compatability Notes: This version will work with the EVO, Desire, and Droid. If you have a Froyo phone (Nexus One) you should be able to use the Froyo version (in the Market or later in this thread, post #65).
    I would think this would be a bad idea for the same reason all those *led* flash light apps warn you not to over use for fear of burning out...If you get a much of notifications that would mean constant use.

typical life span of a led is 25,000 hours, and that just means it loses about 50% of its lumens output.

i highly doubt they'll burn out.

thats 2.85 years of being on.
    Are the led notifications on the front facing camera not bright enough for you or something?
    Just installed the froyo version in post 65 and it works perfectly on my evo with virus rom gingersense. Apristel thanks for requesting and rdude for developing!