• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[FINISHED] Camera LED Flash w/incoming call/sms

Search This thread

arw01

Jun 12, 2010
Can you tell if the phone is plugged into power? Would maybe allow you to ignore a bit of the power management. Perhaps a configeration option to cut the flash to less often as the battery drops and no flash at like 15% or so?

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Can you tell if the phone is plugged into power? Would maybe allow you to ignore a bit of the power management. Perhaps a configeration option to cut the flash to less often as the battery drops and no flash at like 15% or so?

Really most of the battery usage doesn't come from the flash itself unless you are getting a phone call every 2 seconds. The main battery usage issue for having additional notifications for which there are no standard system broadcasts is that you have to have a service running constantly monitoring things. If this isn't done right it can kill the battery.

The route I'm going right now is to have an "Additional notifications" section that warns you about battery usage issues when you enable it.

Issey_phresh

Jun 17, 2010
Unsupported content

Wanted to try the apk before I purchased from the market but it e won't let me download I get the unsupported content error message...maybe because I'm running a froyo rom...anybody else experiencing this issue while trying to download the apk from the post? evolutionv9

vicko5000

Aug 18, 2008
SF
I love this app but i think it would be even more useful if it would have an option of using the flashing alert only when the phone is on silent

anyone notice if this use of the led flash drains battery?

kmalinich

Jul 8, 2010
Maineville, OH
So there's no way for this to work with a motorola droid running froyo?

I have Bugless Beast 0.4 and chevyno1's 1.0Ghz ULV kernel to be exact...

Just to let you know...on my phone...the 2.1 version does nothing at all, and the 2.2 version makes the camera noise but the LED doesn't come on. it makes the shutter\focus noise every time I get a call or text though (so that part works great :D )

I have a link that might help out the developer with making it work with in unofficial froyo motorola droid, but i can't post it. you can find it by googling "Android Forums What is it with MotoTorch?" It's a thread about the different LED access methods on the Motorold Droid.

Good luck, I really wish this would work! It would be such an awesome app! And it already is awesome, but i can't go back to 2.1 for it....BB 2.2 is too cool.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED VERSION NOW AVAILABLE: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=14961111

Alright, here we go. This app will flash your LED when you receive a phone call or when you get a new text message. Unfortunately it can't do it when you get new emails since there is no standard system notification for email among the many email apps (Email, Gmail, K9, etc.).

Here's a screenshot of the app, Flashlight Alerts:

9Cj9J.png

The APK is attached and it is also available in the Market for $2.99 if you'd like to donate:

img.php

It was actually a real pain to put together since there is no standard flashlight API prior to Froyo, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. Let me know if you run into any issues!

PS: I would appreciate it if somebody could check if this thing is actually in the Market on their EVO. It's showing up there on my Nexus One but not on my EVO. Hmm... Fixed this. Stupid bug in the Market makes it so that if you mark your app as requiring a camera with flash, it doesn't show up for EVO.

Compatability Notes: This version will work with the EVO, Desire, and Droid. If you have a Froyo phone (Nexus One) you should be able to use the Froyo version (in the Market or later in this thread, post #65).
    I would think this would be a bad idea for the same reason all those *led* flash light apps warn you not to over use for fear of burning out...If you get a much of notifications that would mean constant use.

typical life span of a led is 25,000 hours, and that just means it loses about 50% of its lumens output.

i highly doubt they'll burn out.

thats 2.85 years of being on.
    Are the led notifications on the front facing camera not bright enough for you or something?
    Just installed the froyo version in post 65 and it works perfectly on my evo with virus rom gingersense. Apristel thanks for requesting and rdude for developing!