Fire HD 10/10+ 2021 is out - anyone got one plz post ur thoughts

Search This thread

newnewcomputer

Mar 26, 2014
amazon just started shipping a few days ago. some hands-on reviews are here:

first review got some bad info: the CPU is not new (same as HD10 2019). Split screen is not new (available on HD10 2019) from Fire OS 7. 2nd review compared it against an ipad...

if anyone here got 1, plz post ur thoughts on it. thanx!

edit: OP of the Fire Toolbox released a new version that is said to be compatible w/ HD10 2021. in the same thread, sum1 mentioned the codename for HD10 2021 is "Tronia"!

Last edited:

RagManX

Sep 11, 2010
Memphis
securitytools.wiki
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Ordered a replacement after my older son needed my 2019 model as an ebook reader for tech-school classes. Not going to worry about hopes for an unlock or root method, and just set it up and use it. If someone does produce an unlock or root, I'll certainly use it, but I won't pin my hopes on getting such access.

yanksno1

Jun 5, 2021
Got mine last week and have been putting it through the paces. I'm coming from a Samsung 10.1 A7 tablet that was just a tad too sluggish (really noticed it rotating back and forth) for me and was down to 6GB of space on the 32GB internal storage. There's no doubt the A7's screen is a tad sharper (thanks to the 2K resolution) and speakers were better.

On this one I used the Fire Toolbox (awesome tool!) to install Google Services, Nova Launcher and delete some unwanted apps. After playing with the grid system, for some reason on mine if I went above 7 on the height one in landscape mode the icons would be really small. I ultimately settled with a 7x7 grid layout and while I don't like the spacing in portrait mode height wise think that works the best for me. Installed all the apps I want through Google Play Store and the Appstore. I couldn't use it if I didn't have access to that.

Def way snappier then the A7. It rotates from portrait to landscape modes quicker, and loads everything else just a little faster too. I know it's the same CPU from last year in it, but the 4GB of Ram vs 3GB on the A7 seem like that's a huge leap forward. The A7 def has the better screen (2K vs HD) and speakers. But for my uses (checking feeds in the morning on Feedly, watching games on to keep track of, and watching videos while traveling are my main tasks. I can't justify spending over $500 for a tablet, so this at it's price point is a winner in my book.

Now my gripes. No way to change the timer of the lock screen before you need to re-enter the pin code again right? I've looked around in the settings and just can't find it. Still would like the pin on it, but would like to change that timer. I have my SD card mounted as internal storage. Sometimes it loses it's connection and on the lock screen shows it's lost it. But it finds it right away when I log back in. Not too thrilled with the case selection so far. The first 2 I tried didn't work for me (the official Amazon wouldn't fold back right and the other case I tried the plate where you snapped it into was backwards in my opinion. Getting another one in today to try out.

I'll see on Prime Day if there's any other sales and if there are I can still return this one to get it at the better price. Otherwise, maybe I'll try for a Samsung Tab S7 or S7+ if there's a good sale on those. But other then that, so far I'm pretty happy with this tablet outside of the Nova Launcher spacing. This is a keeper so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-123219.png
    Screenshot_20210608-123219.png
    276.3 KB · Views: 275
  • Screenshot_20210608-123226.png
    Screenshot_20210608-123226.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 244
  • Screenshot_20210608-123234.png
    Screenshot_20210608-123234.png
    228.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Screenshot_20210608-123240.png
    Screenshot_20210608-123240.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 232
  • Screenshot_20210608-123301.png
    Screenshot_20210608-123301.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 274

Todd Banister

Apr 27, 2021
yanksno1 - Have you started using the split screen functionality? Have you found it useful? I would really like to see some screen shots of it in use if at all possible. This and the increased RAM is the biggest selling points for me.

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Got mine last week and have been putting it through the paces. I'm coming from a Samsung 10.1 A7 tablet that was just a tad too sluggish (really noticed it rotating back and forth) for me and was down to 6GB of space on the 32GB internal storage. There's no doubt the A7's screen is a tad sharper (thanks to the 2K resolution) and speakers were better.

On this one I used the Fire Toolbox (awesome tool!) to install Google Services, Nova Launcher and delete some unwanted apps. After playing with the grid system, for some reason on mine if I went above 7 on the height one in landscape mode the icons would be really small. I ultimately settled with a 7x7 grid layout and while I don't like the spacing in portrait mode height wise think that works the best for me. Installed all the apps I want through Google Play Store and the Appstore. I couldn't use it if I didn't have access to that.

Def way snappier then the A7. It rotates from portrait to landscape modes quicker, and loads everything else just a little faster too. I know it's the same CPU from last year in it, but the 4GB of Ram vs 3GB on the A7 seem like that's a huge leap forward. The A7 def has the better screen (2K vs HD) and speakers. But for my uses (checking feeds in the morning on Feedly, watching games on to keep track of, and watching videos while traveling are my main tasks. I can't justify spending over $500 for a tablet, so this at it's price point is a winner in my book.

Now my gripes. No way to change the timer of the lock screen before you need to re-enter the pin code again right? I've looked around in the settings and just can't find it. Still would like the pin on it, but would like to change that timer. I have my SD card mounted as internal storage. Sometimes it loses it's connection and on the lock screen shows it's lost it. But it finds it right away when I log back in. Not too thrilled with the case selection so far. The first 2 I tried didn't work for me (the official Amazon wouldn't fold back right and the other case I tried the plate where you snapped it into was backwards in my opinion. Getting another one in today to try out.

I'll see on Prime Day if there's any other sales and if there are I can still return this one to get it at the better price. Otherwise, maybe I'll try for a Samsung Tab S7 or S7+ if there's a good sale on those. But other then that, so far I'm pretty happy with this tablet outside of the Nova Launcher spacing. This is a keeper so far.
I sold a S5e and bought an HD 10 9th. But there is no way I'm claiming the HD compares with the S5e. It was merely that the S5e was overkill for a tablet I was using as an eReader. I also still have a Tab A 2020 and the HD. only beats it in battery life. Slower tablets do use less battery.

Got one for my wife and one for myself during prime days this past week. Hers is to replace a Galaxy Tab A 10.1(2019) We both use them for light gaming, web surfing and media consumption. I have already run mine through the toolkit and removed the lock screen ads, installed google play etc. Hers will be left stock for now. I am quite impressed with them. They run all my games(nothing too taxing Asphalt 9 is the biggest resource hog) For the Prime Days price, they are hard to beat. I am quite happy with mine and plan to install an SD card for extra storage shortly(mainly for movie and TV show storage)

2Pints

Feb 24, 2011
Ordered one from Amazon, and Ive been given a 3-6 month delivery date for it
" Arriving 29 Sep - 5 Dec "

2Pints

Feb 24, 2011
New update - 6th of December 6 Months!!!! and thats with a prime mebership, and an amazon warehouse 15 minutes drive away

2Pints

Feb 24, 2011
Is this thing available or have thye been re called?? it just seems odd that it has a six month shipping date

iTakMD

Mar 27, 2018
Got the HD 10 Plus during Prime Day, had the previous HD 10 2019 and the 2017 before that.

The upgrade from 2017 -> 2019 was okay because of the processor upgrade but still had slowdowns and was sluggish when opening different apps.

The 2019 -> 2021 Plus version was a great upgrade, that 4GB ram definitely got rid of all the slowdowns the previous generation suffered. Smaller bezels and a bit lighter so it's a bit easier to hold. The 2019 screen has an issue where the color seemed a bit too oversaturated/overbrightened, the 2021 doesn't seem to have that issue. My 2019 one also had a lot of backlight bleed while my 2021 doesn't have any at all...though that probably depends on your luck.

Overall very good upgrade considering i only payed $40 because of the trade-in/promo codes Amazon was giving away.

CouchBandito

Jul 3, 2021
Very happy with mine it's a bit lighter than the last model and feels a bit better balanced in the hand. The screen looks great but I'm having an issue using a keyboard/mouse with it. It keeps highlighting my selections, images, and videos with a grey overlay.

kwanbis

Apr 19, 2010
The Internets
Go two Fire HD 10 Plus on Prime day for 110 euros each. I am pretty happy. Our previous tablets were Fire HD 10 but from 2017. It is a night and day difference.

YellowMango

Nov 19, 2013
I just found out that Fire HD 10 (11th gen) does NOT support exFAT format SD cards, only FAT32 is supported. That means you can only write files smaller than 4GB onto the SD card.
You can use the Paragon exFAT/NTFS app but it only works with USB-OTG devices, it won't work with the internal SD card reader. Apparently exFAT used to work in older gens but now Amazon wants you to use their streaming service.

AmznUser444 Dev

You can use this Amazon tablet as:
  • Drawing tablet (with a VirtualTablet app)
  • Virtual MIDI keyboard (for music production, tested in FL Studio)
  • Simple server (like hosting your own websites, file server, or Minecraft server)
  • Smart home dashboard
  • Digital clock (if you don't have in your house)
  • Digital photo frame
  • Echo Show (your Fire table is registered into your Amazon account to use Show Mode)

Last edited:
Reactions: juandarr

Slammer01

Jan 13, 2013
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
Fire Toolbox cleaned my new 2021 HD 10 tablet nicely. But need to run a USB GPS module on it for boating Nav, & it's not operational (no led present like on Windows USB). USB OTG app states I need to add xml file: android.hardware.usb.host.xml to folder: /system/etc/permissions, but need it rooted to do this. Any experience with a root solution for latest Fire OS please?

Last edited:

MrZaku086

Apr 8, 2021
Fire Toolbox cleaned my new 2021 HD 10 tablet nicely. But need to run a USB GPS module on it for boating Nav, & it's not operational (no led present like on Windows USB). USB OTG app states I need to add xml file: android.hardware.usb.host.xml to folder: /system/etc/permissions, but need it rooted to do this. Any experience with a root solution for latest Fire OS please?
the root is near to impsoible, the 2019 is still not rooteable only the 2017 it is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    first review got some bad info: the CPU is not new (same as HD10 2019). Split screen is not new (available on HD10 2019) from Fire OS 7. 2nd review compared it against an ipad...
    how are you enabling split screen on the 2019 hd10. Mine doesn't have it.
    You can use this Amazon tablet as:
    • Drawing tablet (with a VirtualTablet app)
    • Virtual MIDI keyboard (for music production, tested in FL Studio)
    • Simple server (like hosting your own websites, file server, or Minecraft server)
    • Smart home dashboard
    • Digital clock (if you don't have in your house)
    • Digital photo frame
    • Echo Show (your Fire table is registered into your Amazon account to use Show Mode)