• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fire HD 10 Black Screen

Search This thread

mdvanness

Aug 14, 2018
I was given a Fire HD 7th Gen. I cannot get into recovery on it.

The story is that is was on 5.6.2.0 and accidentally downgraded to 5.6.1.0, which in turn never booted.

My diagnosis is...

I plugged it into my pc and I can hear the windows usb connect chime every 10 seconds or so and 2 seconds after a usb disconnect chime.

I cannot do any key combo to get into recovery as i only have a black screen and no more.

Have adb (and am familiar with) installed and the bin downloaded ready to sideload...

any help is appreciated, thanks!!

donslade

Mar 4, 2010
El Paso, TX
Did you try holding all the buttons - Volume UP, Volume DOWN and POWER - together for 30 seconds? That may get you back to power on or to recovery.

Did you verify that you can downgrade from 5.6.2.0 to 5.6.1.0 without bricking due to different bootloaders or recoveries? That tablet may now be bricked.

The story is that is was on 5.6.2.0 and accidentally downgraded to 5.6.1.0, which in turn never booted.

My diagnosis is...

I plugged it into my pc and I can hear the windows usb connect chime every 10 seconds or so and 2 seconds after a usb disconnect chime.

I cannot do any key combo to get into recovery as i only have a black screen and no more.

Have adb (and am familiar with) installed and the bin downloaded ready to sideload...

mdvanness

Aug 14, 2018
Did you try holding all the buttons - Volume UP, Volume DOWN and POWER - together for 30 seconds? That may get you back to power on or to recovery.

Did you verify that you can downgrade from 5.6.2.0 to 5.6.1.0 without bricking due to different bootloaders or recoveries? That tablet may now be bricked.

Yes, I have tried that combination to no effect. From what I have read it cannot be downgraded from 5.6.2.0 to anything.

von1uk

Oct 5, 2018
black screen

my partner was playing a game put it down for a few mins and screen is black. tried power button method nothing. tried with volume and power button and it wont hard reset. hes even taken out the battery ( its 7th gen 10 inch with alexa) any ides what we can do please. i cant contact amazon as i put google play on it. thanks

my partner was playing a game put it down for a few mins and screen is black. tried power button method nothing. tried with volume and power button and it wont hard reset. hes even taken out the battery ( its 7th gen 10 inch with alexa) any ides what we can do please. i cant contact amazon as i put google play on it. thanks

If still under warranty, return it to Amazon for replacement or refund. Otherwise you can try flashing stock firmware back to it. That's assuming you know what version of fire OS it was on.

Mahmud92

Jul 6, 2014
Ankara

My diagnosis is...

I have the same problem with my amazon fire hd 10 now downgraded it and screen is black same thing with usb sound when plugged into PC tried every possible buttons compilation to enter recovery still nothing happens device not recognized by ADB which I'm very familiar with as well..tried opening the device and unplugged the battery cable from inside then still nothing totally dissembled it and assembled it again same result please let me know if you find a way to bypass this problem.. :(

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my amazon fire hd 10 now downgraded it and screen is black same thing with usb sound when plugged into PC tried every possible buttons compilation to enter recovery still nothing happens device not recognized by ADB which I'm very familiar with as well..tried opening the device and unplugged the battery cable from inside then still nothing totally dissembled it and assembled it again same result please let me know if you find a way to bypass this problem.. :(

You are permanently bricked. However there will hopefully be a fix in a week or two that would allow you to unbrick any Amazon tablet and unlock the bootloader. I have to run a few small tests on my test devices. I have on bricked HD 10 and it just takes a few minutes to complete the test. If successful, it will immediately boot again. After that we have to modify the zip files and scripts for this device.

Mahmud92

Jul 6, 2014
Ankara
You are permanently bricked. However there will hopefully be a fix in a week or two that would allow you to unbrick any Amazon tablet and unlock the bootloader. I have to run a few small tests on my test devices. I have on bricked HD 10 and it just takes a few minutes to complete the test. If successful, it will immediately boot again. After that we have to modify the zip files and scripts for this device.

I do really appreciate the effort, thanks for the fast reply as well :D will be waiting for the fix.. :fingers-crossed:

I do really appreciate the effort, thanks for the fast reply as well :D will be waiting for the fix.. :fingers-crossed:

I can't make any promises. We still need to figure out if its possible. I've only glanced at the board of the 10 and it looks like it will work, but I won't know until I can perform the few tests needed. Hopefully tomorrow I will have time.

Sent from my MotoG3 using XDA Labs

Bierfreund

Jun 30, 2010
Seems I joined to bricked club today (black screen, USB sound wehen plugging in).
Was on newest version (greather than 5.6.2.0, i think 5.6.3.x) and flashed 5.6.2.0.bin (latest you can download from amazon) via adb sideload for a complete reset and a clean device. I thought downgrading would not work if it would lead to problems - hm seems i was wrong ;)
I bought it on 16.01.2018 so the questions is should i try if i get a replacement from amazon or wait if there will be an solution from DragonFire1024 within the next weeks? Not sure if amazon will replace it without trouble

Seems I joined to bricked club today (black screen, USB sound wehen plugging in).
Was on newest version (greather than 5.6.2.0, i think 5.6.3.x) and flashed 5.6.2.0.bin (latest you can download from amazon) via adb sideload for a complete reset and a clean device. I thought downgrading would not work if it would lead to problems - hm seems i was wrong ;)
I bought it on 16.01.2018 so the questions is should i try if i get a replacement from amazon or wait if there will be an solution from DragonFire1024 within the next weeks? Not sure if amazon will replace it without trouble

I'm going as fast as I can to try and unlock this thing apparently I always get the crap end of the stick when it comes to things that are easy I always get the hard part. Until I can get out and get a kit to remove the board, we're stuck where we're at. the motherboard needs to be removed and the only way to do that as a special screwdriver and I do not have the tools. But if the weather lets up I will be able to get them.

Last edited:

Mahmud92

Jul 6, 2014
Ankara

Try your luck by contacting Amazons Customer Service they seem quite helpful when I wrote to them, explained the situation about downgrading the version and what happened, they simply asked to do some steps like turning of and button compo etc after making sure its bricked they offered to replace it with a new one right away ..but unfortunately I'm not at USA and they can't ship the replacement to Turkey..so my only hope for now is @DragonFire1024 fix :cool:

Try your luck by contacting Amazons Customer Service they seem quite helpful when I wrote to them, explained the situation about downgrading the version and what happened, they simply asked to do some steps like turning of and button compo etc after making sure its bricked they offered to replace it with a new one right away ..but unfortunately I'm not at USA and they can't ship the replacement to Turkey..so my only hope for now is @DragonFire1024 fix :cool:

We have download mode on the HD 10 which means we can get our bootloader unlocked once we can execute the payload. There won't be such a thing as a bricked tablet. If you can hold off, we just need execution. We have the recovery already. Everything nearly works aside from the script to load and execute the payload. Hopefully we'll get unlocked today.

Reactions: Mahmud92

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Although there are (as yet unrealized) prospects of a hardware unlock/rejunivation I would reach out to Amazon. What can it hurt? You might just score a essentially new refurb vs tearing apart your existing 'brick' with the associated risk of damaging it further. You can still pursue that option if Amazon declines to help. Why hold off...keep all options open.

darkcupid

Apr 17, 2013
We have download mode on the HD 10 which means we can get our bootloader unlocked once we can execute the payload. There won't be such a thing as a bricked tablet. If you can hold off, we just need execution. We have the recovery already. Everything nearly works aside from the script to load and execute the payload. Hopefully we'll get unlocked today.

I got the same problem with my Fire HD 10 after flashing rom. Since I don't live in the US, I can not take it back to Amazon. Hope for the fix from you :(

AmznUser444 Dev

My diagnosis is...

This full solution: https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/unlock-fire-hd-10-2017-suez-t3913639

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.