Fire Stick 5.0.5.1 can't play Amazon Prime content

Search This thread

emsrph

Jun 2, 2016
I have OTA updates blocked since day 1 using debloater tool. Device is at OS 5.0.51 (537175520). Everything (Netflix, Kodi, Amazon Prime) was working great for more than a year.

Recently can't play any Amazon Prime content even though I'm signed into my Prime account. It does show recently viewed in list from other devices (phone, other smart tv). Clicking on a video spins the icon a few seconds and then takes you right back to your personalized Prime content page. So the program isn't crashing just not allowing streaming anymore.

Tried rebooting, force stop application, clearing cache. Any other suggestions or do I have to reset to default settings? Will restoring allow Amazon updates and remove Kodi?

Go easy I'm only tech savvy enough to get into trouble :eek:

Thanks.

emsrph

Jun 2, 2016
Hey Blue,

I tried that before and it didn't seem to work. Tried it again and after doing that it allows me to start one title. If I stop the video and try to play another one, it won't stream a different title.

Sometimes when I try to restart the same title it won't do that either.

I redo the clear data and cache it lets me do the one title only thing again very reproducibly.

The Prime video player is version 1.0.247.48-ATVAndroidFOS5.... at size 40.43MB if that helps.

Any other things to try? Thanks for your help.

blue1978

Dec 10, 2012
If you have twrp installed I would reflash current rom and see if that fixes the problem. I'm currently using 5.2.1.1 and had same issue with prime video and clearing worked for me.

emsrph

Jun 2, 2016
Don't know what twrp is, how to check for it or how to reflash the rom. Is there a link or instructions somewhere you could point me to?

emsrph

Jun 2, 2016
Read a little about twrp....looks like with my skill level it's the fastest way for me to brick the firestick, haha. My device is not rooted if that makes a difference?

Is there a low tech way? For example, could the Prime Video app be deleted and redownloaded from the App Store?

If not, what would happen if I reset to factory? Would the stick revert to receiving Over the Air updates? Could KODI be reinstalled if that happens?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions!

bula1ca

Nov 18, 2014
Read a little about twrp....looks like with my skill level it's the fastest way for me to brick the firestick, haha. My device is not rooted if that makes a difference?

Is there a low tech way? For example, could the Prime Video app be deleted and redownloaded from the App Store?

If not, what would happen if I reset to factory? Would the stick revert to receiving Over the Air updates? Could KODI be reinstalled if that happens?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions!

You have OTA updates blocked. Is it a reason why if you do not want to root it? You will not be able to reset to factory if OTA updates are blocked however if you unblock it will update to the latest s/w version and at the moment is no way to root it but you can still install Kodi.
Why not reading on how to root it, install TWRP and from here on you can install latest rooted release s/w by rbox.

Last edited:

emsrph

Jun 2, 2016
You have OTA updates blocked. Is it a reason why if you do not want to root it? You will not be able to reset to factory if OTA updates are blocked however if you unblock it will update to the latest s/w version and at the moment is no way to root it but you can still install Kodi.
Why not reading on how to root it, install TWRP and from here on you can install latest rooted release s/w by rbox.

Best reason to not root it is because I will probably break the thing with my lack of knowledge.

So, I have to re-enable the over the air updates or I won't be able to reset to default factory settings?

How about the idea to delete and reinstall Amazon Prime from the App store, is that a possible way to get it working again?

Thanks!

bula1ca

Nov 18, 2014
Best reason to not root it is because I will probably break the thing with my lack of knowledge.

So, I have to re-enable the over the air updates or I won't be able to reset to default factory settings?

How about the idea to delete and reinstall Amazon Prime from the App store, is that a possible way to get it working again?

Thanks!

Prime is part of the system menu and can not be erase as you erase an app

Last edited:

emsrph

Jun 2, 2016
Well, maybe I'll move this stick to a smart tv that has Amazon Prime app already since this is the only problem with the stick as is.

Thanks

puppinoo

Jun 14, 2008
Hi,
I've had the same problem with all the Fire TV and Sticks I bought. I live in Italy and always had the same error. I have updates domains blocked so I've always thought it was because of this. Now I'd like to solve cause Amazon Prime video is finally available in Italy too. I've always used rbox roms for my devices and I d'0nt want to go back to official firmware. Amazon app on my Nvidia Shield and Browser app work fine. Any advice? Thanks.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2i28wh5.jpg