Fire TV 2nd Gen stuck in some kind of kiosk mode?

Search This thread

Hannover2k

Aug 1, 2017
I purchased a used Fire TV 2nd gen online but when I boot it up, it goes into some kind of kiosk slideshow for 1st gen Amazon Echo devices that I can't exit.

It boots normally at first with the Fire TV logo an all but there's no config screen or anything. It boots to a white AMAZON ECHO screen with pics of the original Echo device then goes into a slide show showing all the various features of Amazon echo. The remote doesn't sync and the device will only show up on the Fire TV remote app for a few seconds before disappearing after boot. I can plug in a physical keyboard and if I press the ESC key, the screen will go black for a second before re-starting the slide show from the beginning. So far I've not been able to find any other keyboard functions that react, only the ESC key so far.

If I had to guess, I'd say it probably has a much older version of the OS on it as the slide show is for the older generations of Echo.

I'm assuming this used to be some kind of demo device, maybe from Best Buy or something but does anyone know how to get out of this slide show so it can be used as a normal device or is this thing just useless? Suggestions?

Last edited:

Hannover2k

Aug 1, 2017
I purchased a used Fire TV 2nd gen form ebay but when I boot it up, it goes into some kind of kiosk slideshow for Amazon Echo that I can't exit.

It boots normally at first with the Fire TV logo an all but there's no config screen or anything. It boots to a white AMAZON ECHO screen with pics of the original Echo device then goes into a slide show showing all the various features of Amazon echo. The remote doesn't sync and the device will only show up on the Fire TV remote app for a few seconds before disappearing after boot. I can plug in a physical keyboard and if I press the ESC key, the screen will go black for a second before re-starting the slide show from the beginning. So far I've not been able to find any other keyboard functions that react, only the ESC key so far.

If I had to guess, I'd say it probably has a much older version of the OS on it as the slide show is for the older generations of Echo.

I'm assuming this used to be some kind of demo device, maybe from Best Buy or something but does anyone know how to get out of this slide show so it can be used as a normal device or is this thing just useless? Suggestions?

Just as an update, I found that if I plug in a USB keyboard, pressing ALT+ESC will pop up a menu telling me to press the home button if I wish to return to the home screen. No remote works with it yet so that doesn't help much. Pressing ALT+Space will bring up what appears to be the FireTV search keyboard but typing doesn't bring up anything, it just echos what I type and there's no 'ENTER' key to submit anything.

If I do this immediately after the slideshow comes up, it will prompt that there's no network connection and take me to the network settings menu. I tried plugging in a LAN cable but the device doesn't seem to pull up an IP address. I manually entered an IP but was unable to find it on the network. Even tried using the APPS2FIRE app to see if it could see it in the search but it doesn't. I connected it to wifi successfully but same issue, it doesn't seem to actually pull an IP address as I can't see it on my network when I scan for it. The network settings know when the LAN is plugged in and removed though.

Plugging in USB A-A doesn't seem to do anything. I tried running the Unbrick batch file from one of the other posts but it's intended to work on non-rooted devices with the jumper trick, I think, and while it does kick off the script, it stops at 0% and never does anything. I'm sure this is an older OS that can still be rooted but I just don't know how to get to anything in it since I can't get into ADB.

Any suggestions would be appreciated though!

I'm sure this is an older OS that can still be rooted but I just don't know how to get to anything in it since I can't get into ADB.

Any suggestions would be appreciated though!

If you can't get device to show up on adb devices via terminal/command prompt or access settings menu I don't think there's much you can do.

1.Try doing a scan with Fing Network Tools and see if IP shows.

2. Try downloading and installing FireTV remote App on your phone and connecting if it finds stick.

Without adb being activated on the stick, and settings menu unavailable to enable adb there is not much else for it m8, these ebay sticks are dodgy to say the least I've been stung a few times. Even bought one and opened it to find the heat shield casing missing and clk broke lol

Last edited:

Hannover2k

Aug 1, 2017
If you can't get device to show up on adb devices via terminal/command prompt or access settings menu I don't think there's much you can do.

1.Try doing a scan with Fing Network Tools and see if IP shows.

2. Try downloading and installing FireTV remote App on your phone and connecting if it finds stick.

Without adb being activated on the stick, and settings menu unavailable to enable adb there is not much else for it m8, these ebay sticks are dodgy to say the least I've been stung a few times. Even bought one and opened it to find the heat shield casing missing and clk broke lol

I'll give those a shot. I tried the jumper technique from the Unbrick Fire TV 2 post and was able to get partway through that process and to the prompt where it tells me to remove the jumper and press enter but it gets an error after copying the files, just before it should boot to twrp. something about the source path being empty. I can post a pic if that's helpful. I think may have forgotten to run the disable modemmanager command so I'll give that another try later. I didn't realize you had to run that every time you reboot linux. I know just enough to be dangerous with it.

I'll give those a shot. I tried the jumper technique from the Unbrick Fire TV 2 post and was able to get partway through that process and to the prompt where it tells me to remove the jumper and press enter but it gets an error after copying the files, just before it should boot to twrp. something about the source path being empty. I can post a pic if that's helpful. I think may have forgotten to run the disable modemmanager command so I'll give that another try later. I didn't realize you had to run that every time you reboot linux. I know just enough to be dangerous with it.

Yeah great have a look here too

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1zYtqmf4RfLOkrPyPjf1C0CjAZf_0E1JohIlTyVY5kGs/mobilebasic

Files here

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/mobile/folders/1GbMTBHuFhwT_uyZaJs0ApsG_RQ5Wg_7F

Should work :good:

Hannover2k

Aug 1, 2017

Unfortunately I can't use those methods. While I can get into the network settings, I can't get into any other settings. I never I never left it connected to wifi so I've been using a LAN cable to test. Booting without the LAN causes it to get an error and takes me to the network settings but I can't get to anything else from there.

Been messing with the jumper method from https://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/development/unbrick-fire-tv-stick-2-anti-rollback-t3986303 but not having any luck yet as per the attached pic. Also tried the unbrick method which gets stuck at 000000200: 0% every time. Just for the heck of it, I shorted DAT0 and ran it and it popped up an error saying it can't locate a 'system' partition. The unit still boots up with the fire tv logo and goes into that demo mode so I'm sure there's a partition present. This is really a challenge! Running out of things to try though.

Attachments

• 20201028_200944.jpg
    20201028_200944.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't use those methods. While I can get into the network settings, I can't get into any other settings. I never I never left it connected to wifi so I've been using a LAN cable to test. Booting without the LAN causes it to get an error and takes me to the network settings but I can't get to anything else from there.

Been messing with the jumper method from https://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/development/unbrick-fire-tv-stick-2-anti-rollback-t3986303 but not having any luck yet as per the attached pic. Also tried the unbrick method which gets stuck at 000000200: 0% every time. Just for the heck of it, I shorted DAT0 and ran it and it popped up an error saying it can't locate a 'system' partition. The unit still boots up with the fire tv logo and goes into that demo mode so I'm sure there's a partition present. This is really a challenge! Running out of things to try though.

You may have a stick that cannot be rooted/modified via amonet, one with dl mode disabled. These devices around December 2019 started to appear on the market and there's no way round them.

Last edited:

Hannover2k

Aug 1, 2017
You may have a stick that cannot be rooted/modified via amonet, one with dl mode disabled. These devices around December 2019 started to appear on the market and there's no way round them.

The device is a Fire TV 2nd gen Sloane so I would expect it to work like others I've rooted, but that kiosk os might do just what you said and disabled DL mode. I'll still play with it a bit but not sure what else can be done. Maybe some new method will come along in the future so I'll just hold on to it.

Thanks for all the input though. Greatly appreciated.

The device is a Fire TV 2nd gen Sloane so I would expect it to work like others I've rooted, but that kiosk os might do just what you said and disabled DL mode. I'll still play with it a bit but not sure what else can be done. Maybe some new method will come along in the future so I'll just hold on to it.

Thanks for all the input though. Greatly appreciated.

Sorry mate my bad I thought it was a stick you had I was helping some other guy in firestick tank forum and got mixed up.

Try the short method again only when you get the error :

Leave dc power on (plugged into box)

Remove USB a to USB a cable

Close terminal

Open new terminal up in amonet once again

Run the boot-rom step again BUT hit enter TWICE

Then plug USB cable back in

Pull the dc power and plug it in again

The script should go through

I followed this from another member and it always works for me, has worked on numerous Sloanes. Give it a go, worth a shot mate

Hannover2k

Aug 1, 2017
Sorry mate my bad I thought it was a stick you had I was helping some other guy in firestick tank forum and got mixed up.

Try the short method again only when you get the error :

Leave dc power on (plugged into box)

Remove USB a to USB a cable

Close terminal

Open new terminal up in amonet once again

Run the boot-rom step again BUT hit enter TWICE

Then plug USB cable back in

Pull the dc power and plug it in again

The script should go through

I followed this from another member and it always works for me, has worked on numerous Sloanes. Give it a go, worth a shot mate

Thanks for the info, it's worth a try. Just to clarify, when you say to press enter twice, do you mean to press it twice at the prompt where it tells you to remove the short and press enter?

Thanks for the info, it's worth a try. Just to clarify, when you say to press enter twice, do you mean to press it twice at the prompt where it tells you to remove the short and press enter?

Hey @Hannover2k, yeah the Sloane is stubborn to root, just keep at it, once you see ***remove short and hit enter** and get an error try leaving it switched on but remove USB, then run the script again and hit enter again after you hit it once, disconnect/reconnect the dc power and plug USB in without the short (if displaying remove short) . Should go through

Another thing...
This what happened to me the other day. If your preloader is gone (it's displaying remove short when there is no short). Disconnect power, disconnect USB, run the the script and connect power and wait 50-70 seconds then plug USB back in.

As I said these Sloanes are tough but you should get it, using the short "jumper" method m8

Last edited:

Hannover2k

Aug 1, 2017
Hey @Hannover2k, yeah the Sloane is stubborn to root, just keep at it, once you see ***remove short and hit enter** and get an error try leaving it switched on but remove USB, then run the script again and hit enter again after you hit it once, diconnect/reconnect the dc power. Should go through

Another thing...
This what happened to me the other day. If your preloader is gone (it's displaying remove short when there is no short). Disconnect power, disconnect USB, run the the script and connect power and wait 50-70 seconds then plug USB back in.

As I said these Sloanes are tough but you should get it, using the short "jumper" method m8

Sorry is I'm missing something here. I've been trying to do your method and while I've been getting different error messages and results, I'm still not quite sure I'm doing it right.

After I get the first error after removing the short, you mention above to remove the USB then run the script again, etc. At what point do I plug the USB cable back in? Do I plug the USB back in after removing the power? When I do remove the power, do i need to reconnect the Jumper before plugging it back in?

Sorry if I'm lame, I've just done this jumper thing 100 times and can get many different results but not the one we're looking for! lol

UPDATE: Holy cow, I got it to work the very next time after posting the message! Here's what I did:

1) Ran the script, connected jumper and powered on the device.
2) Got error message.
3) Unplugged USB then re-ran script, pressing enter again after running the command.
4) Plugged USB back in.

I did not reconnect the jumper. When the USB cable was re-connected it did display a message to remove the jumper and press enter, however I did not have to do that. All kinds of stuff started flying all over the screen, then it got to;

Clearing Preloader Header
Flashing Tee
Flashing Bootloader
Flashing Unbrick Image
Flashing Boot
Booting to TWRP
I'm literally grinning ear to ear right now! Thanks for all your help with this! Even if it doesn't work at this point, I'm very happy to have gotten this far!

I can get these kiosk devices for $20 each. Box only, no power or remote. Does anyone think it would be worth it to buy a few of them and try to sell them off with refreshed imaged on them? There's a lot available so just wondering.

Last edited:
Sorry is I'm missing something here. I've been trying to do your method and while I've been getting different error messages and results, I'm still not quite sure I'm doing it right.

After I get the first error after removing the short, you mention above to remove the USB then run the script again, etc. At what point do I plug the USB cable back in? Do I plug the USB back in after removing the power? When I do remove the power, do i need to reconnect the Jumper before plugging it back in?

Sorry if I'm lame, I've just done this jumper thing 100 times and can get many different results but not the one we're looking for! lol

UPDATE: Holy cow, I got it to work the very next time after posting the message! Here's what I did:

2) Got error message.
3) Unplugged USB then re-ran script, pressing enter again after running the command.
4) Plugged USB back in.

I did not reconnect the jumper. When the USB cable was re-connected it did display a message to remove the jumper and press enter, however I did not have to do that. All kinds of stuff started flying all over the screen, then it got to;

Flashing Tee
Flashing Bootloader
Flashing Unbrick Image
Flashing Boot
Booting to TWRP
I'm literally grinning ear to ear right now! Thanks for all your help with this! Even if it doesn't work at this point, I'm very happy to have gotten this far!

I can get these kiosk devices for $20 each. Box only, no power or remote. Does anyone think it would be worth it to buy a few of them and try to sell them off with refreshed imaged on them? There's a lot available so just wondering.
@Hannover2k Yeah that's you got it sorted then, I tried to explain that method but didn't do a very good job of it lol, make sure you push pre-rooted rom and supersu 2.82 zip to /sdcard, and flash.
Please Remember and note that you cannot flash unsigned zips such as magisk to the Sloane as you're bootloader remains incarcerated , if you're device has cleared preloader and you've entered into twrp it should work

Ps. if you can get a Sloane for that price pm me and we'll sort something, doesn't matter about power cables, remotes etc

Last edited:

Hannover2k

Aug 1, 2017
@Hannover2k Yeah that's you got it sorted then, I tried to explain that method but didn't do a very good job of it lol, make sure you push pre-rooted rom and supersu 2.82 zip to /sdcard, and flash.
Please Remember and note that you cannot flash unsigned zips such as magisk to the Sloane as you're bootloader remains incarcerated , if you're device has cleared preloader and you've entered into twrp it should work

Ps. if you can get a Sloane for that price pm me and we'll sort something, doesn't matter about power cables, remotes etc

After flashing the pre-rooted image the first time, everything seemed to work except whenever I restarted via the settings menu, it would show the TWRP pre boot screen but allowing it to continue to boot normally would result in a boot loop. Performing a power cycle would cause the device to skip over the TWRP menu and boot right into the device.

Tried clearing the SD partition and dalvik to free up space as it was only showing about 1.2gb free after the flash. Got the free space back but still the same boot issue after flash, though it did work after a power cycle as opposed to restarting, which I rarely do anyways.

Remembering the Kiosk was for the original echo devices, I got to thinking about it having an older OS again and maybe not liking being flashed directly to the latest version so I re-flashed it to v5.2.6.7_r1. It would boot loop after the TWRP pre login screen but after the first loop it would boot properly. Went ahead and flashed it back to 5.2.7.3_r1 and everything seems to be working perfectly now. Restarts properly and all functionality seems to be present.

I really appreciate your assistance with this. I had them send me another one so I can try this method once more and if it works again, I'll definitely let you know and we'll work something out.

-Han

After flashing the pre-rooted image the first time, everything seemed to work except whenever I restarted via the settings menu, it would show the TWRP pre boot screen but allowing it to continue to boot normally would result in a boot loop. Performing a power cycle would cause the device to skip over the TWRP menu and boot right into the device.

Tried clearing the SD partition and dalvik to free up space as it was only showing about 1.2gb free after the flash. Got the free space back but still the same boot issue after flash, though it did work after a power cycle as opposed to restarting, which I rarely do anyways.

Remembering the Kiosk was for the original echo devices, I got to thinking about it having an older OS again and maybe not liking being flashed directly to the latest version so I re-flashed it to v5.2.6.7_r1. It would boot loop after the TWRP pre login screen but after the first loop it would boot properly. Went ahead and flashed it back to 5.2.7.3_r1 and everything seems to be working perfectly now. Restarts properly and all functionality seems to be present.

I really appreciate your assistance with this. I had them send me another one so I can try this method once more and if it works again, I'll definitely let you know and we'll work something out.

-Han

The recovery partition maybe corrupted.
You may try updating twrp to the latest 3.0.05 from Sloane Twrp recovery page.

There you can download the file from here :

https://www.mediafire.com/file/brae6r8lu1np5jm/firetv2_recovery_v6.zip/file

,push it to Sloane /sdcard and run command

from pc

adb shell

Then run:

sh /sdcard/firetv2_recovery_v6.zip

Reboot

That should fix it.

As soon as you update TWRP

Reboot and flash the pre-rooted firmware and supersu 2.82.zip

Then wipe cache, dalvik

Let it boot up and then factory reset (data, dalvik, cache)

Reboot and it should be okay

Last edited:

Hannover2k

Aug 1, 2017
The recovery partition maybe corrupted.
You may try updating twrp to the latest 3.0.05 from Sloane Twrp recovery page.

There you can download the file from here :

https://www.mediafire.com/file/brae6r8lu1np5jm/firetv2_recovery_v6.zip/file

,push it to Sloane /sdcard and run command

from pc

adb shell

Then run:

sh /sdcard/firetv2_recovery_v6.zip

Reboot

That should fix it.

As soon as you update TWRP

Reboot and flash the pre-rooted firmware and supersu 2.82.zip

Then wipe cache, dalvik

Let it boot up and then factory reset (data, dalvik, cache)

Reboot and it should be okay

Thanks for the info. The image I installed already had that version of TWRP installed on it but like I said in my last comment, flashing to an older rom then re-flashing back to the latest one seems to have resolved the issue.

No more Kiosk mode, though I wish I could have gotten a look at those files just to see what was going on there.

Anyways, all good now and I have another one of those kiosk units I'm going to try the process again on and if it works, I have access to a lot of these devices so I may refresh them and sell them cheap.

Thanks again for everyones input! Still surprised I got it working normal again.

Hannover2k

Aug 1, 2017

Good news!

I was given a 2nd unit with the same 'issue' and was able to get it to start taking the image within a couple mins. The guy who has them can't do anything with them and has lowered his price per unit so are these worth anything to anyone?

Again, it's the box only, no power cords or remote but I don't expect that to be an issue for someone looking to replace one.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking that but I'm open to any thoughts on this.

-Han

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Good news!

I was given a 2nd unit with the same 'issue' and was able to get it to start taking the image within a couple mins. The guy who has them can't do anything with them and has lowered his price per unit so are these worth anything to anyone?

Again, it's the box only, no power cords or remote but I don't expect that to be an issue for someone looking to replace one.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking that but I'm open to any thoughts on this.

-Han

@Bertonumber1

Reactions: Bertonumber1
Reactions: Sus_i

thefrugalfilmmaker

Jan 20, 2021
Yeah I've already replied via pm to @Hannover2k I've already bought one with power brick and remote for Roger @Sus_i hannover2k only has the Sloane itself AFAIK I got the full shebang for £27 so it's all good;) perhaps @Hannover2k can provide a spare and that's us got a couple to got to work on in the name of furthering development

2) Got error message.
4) Plugged USB back in.

Flashing Tee
Flashing Bootloader
Flashing Unbrick Image
Flashing Boot
Booting to TWRP

Just wanted to add my Order of Operations to this post. I also bought one of these "Kiosk" boxes without remote or power supply for $13 off of eBay. Great deal, I thought, if I can get it to root. It appears that the order in which you perform the steps is unique to your setup. After trying all the above suggestions with no success (similar errors as listed above), here's what worked for me:

1. Plug in male-to-male USB cable between FTV2 and Linux box
2. Short DAT0 pin on FTV2 board
3. Connect FTV2 AC power
4. Run script
5. Remove short, press enter once when prompted

After TWRP installed (and I figured out how to use it), I was successful in having a usable FTV2 with all of the perks this process brings. Thanks to all who contributed to make this possible, and an extra big thanks to @Hannover2k for being the first to try this on these specifically-challenged boxes. It was a huge help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good news!

-Han
    Good news!

-Han

@Bertonumber1
    Yeah I've already replied via pm to @Hannover2k I've already bought one with power brick and remote for Roger @Sus_i hannover2k only has the Sloane itself AFAIK I got the full shebang for £27 so it's all good;) perhaps @Hannover2k can provide a spare and that's us got a couple to got to work on in the name of furthering development