Fire TV 4K - Not enough power for external HDDs?

wohltat

Oct 24, 2013
Hey guys,

I rooted my Fire TV and installed rbox' Prerooted Stock Images [5.0.5.1_r1]. I installed ParagonNTFS via ADB, started it on the Fire TV, and granted it root when prompted. This means from software side everything is ready for my external HDD. However, I tried to connect my old Samsung S2 2.5" external HDD with 500 GB (USB 2.0) and my new 2.5" Toshiba 1 TB (USB 3.0). The Samsung does not even turn on. The Toshiba continously tries to turn on but immediatly shuts down, then it tries again to turn on. Obviously the drives do not receive enough power via the USB port of the Fire TV. Is that a know problem or am I the only one?

Last edited:

XDA_h3n

Sep 20, 2011
On Earth!
Hey guys,

I rooted my Fire TV and installed rbox' Prerooted Stock Images [5.0.5.1_r1]. I installed ParagonNTFS via ADB, started it on the Fire TV, and granted it root when prompted. This means from software side everything is ready for my external HDD. However, I tried to connect my old Samsung S2 2.5" external HDD with 500 GB (USB 2.0) and my new 2.5" Toshiba 1 TB (USB 3.0). The Samsung does not even turn on. The Toshiba continously tries to turn on but immediatly shuts down, then it tries again to turn on. Obviously the drives do not receive enough power via the USB port of the Fire TV. Is that a know problem or am I the only one?
Um I had an usb issue before with the Fire TV 4k and it was due to USB Debugging being turned on in developer settings. If it's on, turn it off as it seems to make the usb port use less power.

Yep it's been mentioned here: http://www.aftvnews.com/this-is-why-your-amazon-fire-tv-usb-port-is-not-working/

wohltat

Oct 24, 2013
Um I had an usb issue before with the Fire TV 4k and it was due to USB Debugging being turned on in developer settings. If it's on, turn it off as it seems to make the usb port use less power.

Yep it's been mentioned here: http://www.aftvnews.com/this-is-why-your-amazon-fire-tv-usb-port-is-not-working/
Thanks for your reply. I thought of that already. USB debugging is alraedy turned off. :( I also fear that I received a defect device in multiple ways. The device also does not dedect my 5 Ghz Wi-Fi but the 2.4 Ghz one of the same router. :(

rigoletto670

Jan 4, 2013
Bamberg Germany
Hey guys,

I think the problem is the power from the usb port for your drive give the drive an external power and it works

wohltat

Oct 24, 2013
Does the nvidia Shield has the same problem? Because if I have to buy a bunch of accessories, I will just go straigh for the next nvidia Shield sale.

XDA_h3n

Sep 20, 2011
On Earth!
Thanks for your reply. I thought of that already. USB debugging is alraedy turned off. :( I also fear that I received a defect device in multiple ways. The device also does not dedect my 5 Ghz Wi-Fi but the 2.4 Ghz one of the same router. :(
Well for the 5G issue, it's apparent in most Amazon Fire devices, even on my stick and box!

You would need to move your channel down to 36 and it would work, it's a issue with the Fire tv's wi-fi certification or something like that.

Well it is possible that your hard drive just requires more power and that the Fire tv is using most of it :( There has been cases where the Fire TV 4K's USB Port does have issues, I remember reading an article where many people were complaining about it. Also I think there was an issue with the ethernet port using up power as well as it seems to be connected through a usb?

VitaliyK

Jan 17, 2021
My 43" Toshiba Fire TV works fine with 750Gb HDD connected to USB 3.0 -> SATA adapter. BUT is works ONLY with FAT32 format so you cannot use it to watch 4K movies. I even connected it via USB 2.0 hub and use it at same time with USB keyboard. Is any possibility to make it read NTFS? My 7 YEARS OLD Samsung has USB 3.0 port and read ANY HDD formats.