Fire TV Stick 2/4K Launcher replacement ROOT

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
Back again... Well, I did manage to get back into my 4k, but it's been nothing but trouble since. I got back into my 4k that I'd flashed 7.7 over 7.1, which worked after countless flashes. What got me back in was testing update 7.3, and when it booted and showed me the white firetv screen after a few days, I was like, at last... after booting, it downloaded 3 full updates! These updates booted finally showing my fireOS version was 7.6, a version lower than the 7.7 that bricked it.

So after finally installing stbemu pro 1.2.8, I was watching live tv again. However, next day, lo and behold, plugged it in, and got the blackscreen again. I think about how I flashed the launcher from here, and after another flash of 7.7 over 7.6 I decided NOT to flash any launchers this time, stbemu actually worked this time on 7.7, but would not origionally, suggesting to me the launcher was at fault. I gave up with the launcehrs when I realised it was more awkward to get into system settings, and pressing root 'grant' was impossible in the time it gave to do so, only the launchers created these problem's, however, here I am again, because after turning on my 4k using 7.7, with no launcher, blackscreened again.

I have erased/formtted every visible partition, and this time I cannot even re-produce the steps I took to flash the 7.3, nothing works to actually wipe or delete whatever is causing the blackscreen, leading me to believe what-ever they are updating, I can only assume they are placing it in whatever recovery/ramdisk is used to protect root, kinda like an older boot image sometimes wont flash over a newer boot.

Would it be possible to get a list of all partitions it is safe to wipe, when in amonet, and why do fastboot commands not work when in amonet to flash boot.img?

I reckon amazon are just looking at our accounts to see what we use, then send an update to force the blackscreen..

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
Well, gave it another bash, no go, and after so many tests, all I can say is somethin is clearly being retained even after formatting all found mounted dirs. I suppose this means it is possible that amazon have found a way to write to a directory that I cant find.

Why is it, regardless of erase/format command, files from previous os are still visible?

So I look to amonet and do a df:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
dev 6072232 0 6072232 0% /dev
run 6095388 94208 6001180 2% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p1 15540736 941240 14599496 7% /run/archiso/bootmnt
cowspace 262144 1892 260252 1% /run/archiso/cowspace
/dev/loop0 886784 886784 0 100% /run/archiso/sfs/airootfs
airootfs 262144 1892 260252 1% /
tmpfs 6095388 0 6095388 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 6095388 0 6095388 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 6095388 16 6095372 1% /tmp
tmpfs 6095388 1508 6093880 1% /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
/dev/sda1 234429436 205124940 29304496 88% /run/media/root/Studio

and I notice so many tmpfs, is this expected, if not, how do I remove the offeding dirs that may hold whatever causes blackscreen? Or wipe/erase/format? This df was taken after formatting all I could find in fastboot, which has no effect...

Edit: For instance, how would I get rid of airootfs?

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
Well, finally biting the bullet, I've attempted to reflash EVERY stock update since 6.2.7.1, with no joy. Still stuck on no firetv screen, the one that SHOULD appear after the fire tv first boot screen. I've wiped and or formatted every partition I could find, to no avail, despite being succesfull before, so whatever you do, do not install this launcher, because the op says to reflash stock which does NOT work, no matter what version. I believe by installing this, you'd be as well throwing your stick in the bucket, because no-one can actually help anymore, it's all ok when we're testing, but when they feck it up, it's us that lose out, as denoted by lack of op input...

it sems that no matter what we do, we cannot downgrade anymore. The flash's appear all ok, but there is no boot up after the first black firetv logo. Lets see how good them devs are now lol... DONT DO IT!!

SweenWolf

Mar 18, 2016
Paradise
Well, finally biting the bullet, I've attempted to reflash EVERY stock update since 6.2.7.1, with no joy. Still stuck on no firetv screen, the one that SHOULD appear after the fire tv first boot screen. I've wiped and or formatted every partition I could find, to no avail, despite being succesfull before, so whatever you do, do not install this launcher, because the op says to reflash stock which does NOT work, no matter what version. I believe by installing this, you'd be as well throwing your stick in the bucket, because no-one can actually help anymore, it's all ok when we're testing, but when they feck it up, it's us that lose out, as denoted by lack of op input...

it sems that no matter what we do, we cannot downgrade anymore. The flash's appear all ok, but there is no boot up after the first black firetv logo. Lets see how good them devs are now lol... DONT DO IT!!
I don't understand some bits here,

Are you using root just to change your launcher?
What black screen are you talking about.
Does it comes right after the kernel or does it come after your system is booted (after white firetv animations)
If its later then is the Amazon Hud launching or not? Amazon hud comes on long pressing home button.

And one thing, To change your launcher you do not need root.

Last edited:

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
Actually, it has quite a lot to do with this script.. It has been made clear that the only way to get rid of this is to do a stock reflash. Well, this is now turning out to be impossible! Every previous version flash's, everything looks fine, but when booting it boots the first black fire logo, and does NOT go to the white firetv logo. In fact, at one point, three flash's ago, I thought I'd cracked it, when I saw the white begin to show, but fade to black?

Strange how I've succesfully flashed countless times, wiping the dirs you posted in that order, but I cannot go back to an earlier version, and cannot install latest, all appears fine, but something is being retained somewhere. Something that is preventing the 2nd boot logo, the white one from showing.

If you had the decency to add a version number to the newsettings.apk, instead of every version having same name... seems whike I always used the 1.03 version, you now on what version? And do you make this clear when naming you apk? But then there are enough posts here pointing out that you now run the risk of AMAZON bricking your device for using this launcher, correct?

Everything I've read USED to work. My stick is fine. It flash's fine.

Get ready for lots of firestick users comin for the quick fix...

If the big red capitals are meant for me, I'll point out it's not a good idea to shout at this earth monkey, who gets to hold you on a tesyract cross in front of the flames before throwing you into the burning pit.

Edit: And may I take this time to point out that some need to learn the difference between wipe/erase/format when it comes to system.

Last edited:

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
Ok, I'll try keep this as short as poss. First, I have never actually said your app is the problem. That done with, allow me:

Woke up one morning, plugged in firestick, it booted to just passed the BLACK Fire initial screen. It did not go to the 2nd screen, the blinding firetv logo, I guess this is animated.. at this point I was only using r_box's initial 6.2.7.1 with markus launcher, and new settings, which I marked as 1.03 (about 10 months old now). So I try to reflash r_box's again, no go. It would not boot past the 2nd screen, the animation logo, in fact, it black screened. When it initially died, I could still see it sending/receiving through my tomato router. So I decide to load up the latest 7.7. This worked, and I installed the origional launcher from 8 months ago, but had lost the newsettings.apk, which was 1.03 at that time, so I grabbed the one from this thread and the old launcher worked, at least, for 4 reboots of my 4k. Next day, same problem, no choice but to kamakiri/fireiso, tried going back to r_box's 7.1, no joy, tried 7.7 after that, no joy, so try's 7.3, and voila, it booted past the problem screen, only this time, it downloaded 3 full updates before I could login to wifi, the updates took my os to 6.2.7.6, which I thought was strange, but hey, I'm in. So this time, I solely disable the amazon launcher, and used the system settings to go to my apps and ran them from there, but again, next morning after a nice buffer free tv night, same thing, plugged it in, it would not go to 2nd screen. so back to fireiso, I attempt to go back to 7.3, same result, it black screened. I try every version up to 7.7, on 7.6, I thought I'd cracked it when I saw a breif glimpse of the white firetv screen, but it then again, blacked out. I have been unable to get passed this problem ever since.

It has occurred to me that perhaps amazon are using magisk against us, as I wiped the cache, dalvik, data, /system, and the fastboot userdata, yet no matter what I did, or do, I get as far as the 1st fire screen, and cannot get passed it. I reckon whatever they are doing, they are writing something to say boot.img, (I remember boot.img can be told not to boot past certain versions, wether this is true for the firestick?) or elsewhere, and all I'd really like is to obviously wipe all there is to wipe in order to load up a stock that works... No downgrade seems possible now.

When this problem started, I noticed an etra-ordinary jitter/buffering the night before, and put that down to the weather, now I'm not so sure. The thing is, I had deleted the amazon account I used origionally, just to see how long the firestick would work without an actuall account with amazon, well, I got about a year lol... I made a new one, after the initial crash forced me to pflash 7.3, which updated itself to 7.6, now I'm in the uk, so wonder if perhaps I cant go higher, because it aint out here yet?

Edit, I only flashed your zip once, after logging in to amazon. After that was getting a firmware to boot.

Edit 2: I had origionally posted in the unbrick fire thread : https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/unbrick-fire-tv-stick-4k-help.4021923/page-4

Notice this.. same problem, for other users, include the fact I can no longer downgrade, makes me think others will arrive soon...

Last edited:

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
I posted here due to having flashed NewSettings.apk, which turned out to be a different version from the one I had been using... I have tried everything I can get my hands on, and one thing became apparent, is that I cannot write a boot.img in amonet/fastboot, and I believe this error is related to the actual problem, I copied the error from fireiso adb:

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot: core/libsparse/sparse.cpp:131: int write_all_blocks(struct sparse_file *, struct output_file *): Assertion `pad >= 0' failed.
Aborted (core dumped

I'll take this to the unbrick, sorry for any inconvienience :)

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
My problem here would be turning off the laptop the firestick is connected to, if I run the fireiso first script to boot fastboot, I'd lose fast boot rebooting the laptop in order to use windows.. :p

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
I've only got a usb power bank or two, sad that they dont act as a hub, but thanks for the windows version of Kamakiri, never knew this existed!

Edit, not working, invalid syntax, but I know python is a steamin pile of **** that should be dropped, what version of python?

>>> ./bootrom-step.cmd
File "<stdin>", line 1
./bootrom-step.cmd
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>>

tried without ./

>>> bootrom-step,cmd
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'bootrom' is not defined
>>>

Due to origional pins being messed up through so much testing is to use a pair of needle point tweezerz (pink lol) so I hold tweezers on points, hit return after typing cmd in the window, then plugging in the usb to guarantee I got a connection, dont think this works in windows judging by last error?

Do I require a different tutorial for this version of kamakiri?

Last edited:

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
Well, thanks ever so much for your help, but re-programmin my laptop is not really what I had in mind, clearly the version you mentioned does not work, due to python not havin a clue anymore, python sux... Just goin to test my home made otg to see if twrp will fix anything...

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
And it get's more interesting:

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>fastboot devices

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>fastboot reboot recovery
< waiting for any device >
^C
C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
^C

G070VM1602140DDA fastboot

Sending 'recovery' (11592 KB) OKAY [ 0.540s]
Writing 'recovery' OKAY [ 0.700s]
Finished. Total time: 1.270s

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>adb push update-kindle-mantis-NS6271.zip /sdca
rd/update-kindle-mantis-NS6271.zip
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
update-kindle-mantis-NS6271.zip: 1 fil...25.5 MB/s (634614294 bytes in 23.743s)

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>adb shell
~ # ←[6ndf
tmpfs 646136 156 645980 0% /dev
tmpfs 646136 32 646104 0% /tmp
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
5559420 1399840 3854136 27% /data
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
5559420 1399840 3854136 27% /sdcard
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12
499656 476 462484 0% /cache
~ # ←[6nadb shell twrp install /sdcard/update-kindle-mantis-NS6271.zip
/sbin/sh: adb: not found
~ # ←[6nexit

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>adb shell twrp install /sdcard/update-kindle-m
antis-NS6271.zip
Installing zip file '/sdcard/update-kindle-mantis-NS6271.zip'
Checking for Digest file...
[amonet] Load microloader from recovery...
[amonet] Remove boot patch...
[amonet] OK
Target: Amazon/mantis/mantis:6.0/NS6271/2493N:user/amz-p,release-keys
Patching system image unconditionally...
Patching vendor image unconditionally...
script succeeded: result was [1.000000][amonet] Install boot patch...
[amonet] OK
[amonet] Install recovery patch...
[amonet] ALREADY_INSTALLED
Done processing script file

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>adb shell reboot -p

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows\bootrom-step
.cmd
File "main.py", line 6, in <module>
from common import Device
File "C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows\modules\common.py", line 6, in <module
>
import serial
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'serial'
C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>

It would appear I cant run this in windows due to missing module serial.

Now here's the strangest thing:

I mentioned earlier about a brief white amazon logo that faded out after a second, never been able to reproduce it.. until just before I did what's pasted above. The thing is, I still have to use fireiso just to kick the firestick into fastboot mode, but with extra power added so I can reboot laptop without losing fastboot mode on firestick, I took the boot.img from the origional 7.1, flashed it in windows, then flashed the upade as posted. I got a brief glimpse of the white amazon logo, which lasted all of 1. sumat seconds, before black screen kicked in again.

Now what ese can I flash?

SweenWolf

Mar 18, 2016
Paradise
And it get's more interesting:

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>fastboot reboot recovery
^C
^C

Sending 'recovery' (11592 KB) OKAY [ 0.540s]
Writing 'recovery' OKAY [ 0.700s]
Finished. Total time: 1.270s

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>adb push update-kindle-mantis-NS6271.zip /sdca
rd/update-kindle-mantis-NS6271.zip
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
update-kindle-mantis-NS6271.zip: 1 fil...25.5 MB/s (634614294 bytes in 23.743s)

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>adb shell
~ # ←[6ndf
tmpfs 646136 156 645980 0% /dev
tmpfs 646136 32 646104 0% /tmp
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
5559420 1399840 3854136 27% /data
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
5559420 1399840 3854136 27% /sdcard
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12
499656 476 462484 0% /cache
~ # ←[6nadb shell twrp install /sdcard/update-kindle-mantis-NS6271.zip
/sbin/sh: adb: not found
~ # ←[6nexit

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>adb shell twrp install /sdcard/update-kindle-m
antis-NS6271.zip
Installing zip file '/sdcard/update-kindle-mantis-NS6271.zip'
Checking for Digest file...
[amonet] Load microloader from recovery...
[amonet] Remove boot patch...
[amonet] OK
Target: Amazon/mantis/mantis:6.0/NS6271/2493N:user/amz-p,release-keys
Patching system image unconditionally...
Patching vendor image unconditionally...
script succeeded: result was [1.000000][amonet] Install boot patch...
[amonet] OK
[amonet] Install recovery patch...
[amonet] ALREADY_INSTALLED
Done processing script file

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>adb shell reboot -p

C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows\bootrom-step
.cmd
File "main.py", line 6, in <module>
from common import Device
File "C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows\modules\common.py", line 6, in <module
>
import serial
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'serial'
C:\platform-tools_r30.0.5-windows>

It would appear I cant run this in windows due to missing module serial.

Now here's the strangest thing:

I mentioned earlier about a brief white amazon logo that faded out after a second, never been able to reproduce it.. until just before I did what's pasted above. The thing is, I still have to use fireiso just to kick the firestick into fastboot mode, but with extra power added so I can reboot laptop without losing fastboot mode on firestick, I took the boot.img from the origional 7.1, flashed it in windows, then flashed the upade as posted. I got a brief glimpse of the white amazon logo, which lasted all of 1. sumat seconds, before black screen kicked in again.

Now what ese can I flash?
Can you please clearify what you are trying to achieve,
I am unable to understand when you are flashing what.
Do not flash boot.img from fastboot it will remove your twrp also,
Only update the boot.img from twrp itself.