• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fire TV Stick 4K (mantis) Prerooted Stock Images [6.2.8.1_r2]

Search This thread

DarkH2O

Feb 23, 2011
I used the rooted image on one of my sticks and it did not wipe it. Thanks for the flashable tz., I'll try that too on the other.

maaaatteo

Sep 19, 2012
hi guys, i have a 4k fire tv with os 6.2.8.1 and basically i would like to be able to remote control the device with anydesk or similar.
what's your idea? i think that actually there isn't "no-root" method to give accessibility to this type of software, correct?

If so, unlocking and rooting the device would solve my problem?

thanks for support :)

blaacksheep

Jun 20, 2020
Buffalo
hi guys, i have a 4k fire tv with os 6.2.8.1 and basically i would like to be able to remote control the device with anydesk or similar.
what's your idea? i think that actually there isn't "no-root" method to give accessibility to this type of software, correct?

If so, unlocking and rooting the device would solve my problem?

thanks for support :)

Well, there's Flakie's ADB GUI v2. That gives you sort of a remote desktop over ADB. Link

maaaatteo

Sep 19, 2012
Well, there's Flakie's ADB GUI v2. That gives you sort of a remote desktop over ADB. Link
Thanks! Meanwhile I found a way that's perfect for me, rootless, as follows :
- using any desk in watch-mode only
- at the same time (with multiwindow on my smartphone) using firetv app for remote control

Hope this will be useful for others!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210729-072807_Fire TV.jpg
    Screenshot_20210729-072807_Fire TV.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 42

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
I can confirm that updating only the tz image will blow an efuse without flashing the stock rom. The brom exploit won't even work on my already unlocked 4K anymore. I still have one more that works do be careful when flashing any type of image files and roms above 6.2.7.7.

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
I can confirm that updating only the tz image will blow an efuse without flashing the stock rom.
If the OS is already stock, then yes ;)
The check-efuse script and the ewriter needs to be removed from the system, just with the TZ update or infront of it... Then, as you said, after the TZ update, it's neccessary to avoid any stock rom flash of 6.2.7.7 and later.
Thats why rbox provide the safe prerooted stock rom in the OP, easiest way to update/downgrade.
The brom exploit won't even work on my already unlocked 4K anymore. I still have one more that works do be careful when flashing any type of image files and roms above 6.2.7.7.
The stick should remain unlocked, even with a broken efuse, as long as the microloader is in place. Only BR access gets lost (i.e. unbricking via BR).

Last edited:

SweenWolf

Mar 18, 2016
Paradise
Amazon Fire TV
I can confirm that updating only the tz image will blow an efuse without flashing the stock rom. The brom exploit won't even work on my already unlocked 4K anymore. I still have one more that works do be careful when flashing any type of image files and roms above 6.2.7.7.
Updating TZ will not patch your stick, I have one stick (only one) and that has the latest TZ, running on 6.2.8.1
If you somehow flashed stock ROM which blew the fuse earlier on.
You can still unlock your stick if your efuse isn't blown and TZ doesn't do that.
I flashed 6.2.8.1 right from 6.2.7.1 (or 6.2.7.3)
Even that setup was patched, efuse related stuff was removed and i patched boot also (which is responsible for blowing efuse on startup, not saying its the only one, but it runs that)
So i never had a efuse writer stuff on my system.

[EDIT] I also want to add
As mentioned in the OP if you have updated the TZ and then flash any stock rom with efuse in it, it will definitely blow the efuse on boot up.

Attachments

• 20210806_064302.jpg
    20210806_064302.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Reactions: Kramar111 and Sus_i

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
Updating TZ will not patch your stick, I have one stick (only one) and that has the latest TZ, running on 6.2.8.1
If you somehow flashed stock ROM which blew the fuse earlier on.
You can still unlock your stick if your efuse isn't blown and TZ doesn't do that.
I flashed 6.2.8.1 right from 6.2.7.1 (or 6.2.7.3)
Even that setup was patched, efuse related stuff was removed and i patched boot also (which is responsible for blowing efuse on startup, not saying its the only one, but it runs that)
So i never had a efuse writer stuff on my system.

[EDIT] I also want to add
As mentioned in the OP if you have updated the TZ and then flash any stock rom with efuse in it, it will definitely blow the efuse on boot up.
That's what I exactly did while unlocked since I bought two total and one to mess up and test

Aug 7, 2021
Hello, how can i update from 6.2.7.7 to 6.2.8.1_r2 without lost all settings (Wolf Launcher, Apps, Screensaver, Debloat, Root, Magisk...). Because Amazon Prime Video show Error 8056.

Greets and big Thanks

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A question for the sake of better understanding: is the pre-rooted image simply the stock image + magisk or is something else done with the actual image?
    It also removes some files from your system so that your efuse doesn't blow up, which is responsible for disabling the exploit and you can no longer unlock your stick after that.

An odd request but how can I get back to completely stock? I did a factory reset but TWRP kicks in automatically on restart and does something to prevent it (recovery) being overwritten. It's developed some random issues so I'm sending it back to amazon so it would be nice to get it back to completely stock but I can't seem to find any stock firmware images.
    You can make it stock, but the thing is you will not be able to Root you stick again becuase all the new stick comes patched from the factory.

If your system isn't running properly try wiping everything and reflash rbox prerooted rom (r2)
    As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

First, you must be unlocked. You can follow the instructions here for making that happen.

If you are first starting, you should first unlock, then install this ROM, and THEN install Magisk for root or any other addons. This rom uses addon.d to preserve Magisk and any other addons, but any system modifications like Magisk, gapps, etc, that you have installed prior to this ROM will NOT be preserved.

If you've already unlocked and installed Magisk, then after installing this ROM you need to reinstall Magisk in TWRP.

Starting with 6.2.6.6, Magisk is always installed.

Beyond that, Magisk and any other addons will be preserved as you flash newer roms. Consequently, if you would like to remove root, you will need to wipe /system in TWRP prior to installing this ROM. That will prevent it from being restored when installing the ROM.

Thanks to @k4y0z and @xyz` for the unlock.

NEVER FLASH A STOCK ROM >= 6.2.8.0 AFTER FLASHING 6.2.8.1_r2 OR LATER! THIS WILL BLOW AN EFUSE.

Changelog and Downloads:
    I have updated the OP with 6.2.7.7_r1.
    I updated the OP with 6.2.8.0_r1.
    Hi guys, apologies for the noob question as I'm v new to android, i've followed the guide and successfully unlocked my firestick 4k, just wondering exactly how I go about flashing this image.
    If someone could point me in the direction of an idiots guide that would be great.
    Cheers.

Hi,
    Can't assume responsibility if this breaks your system but this is how I've done (with essential help from community).
    Good luck:
    EDIT: This is done in Ubuntu!
    *** enable adb debugging in Fire TV settings ***
    *** connect stick to pc via usb to connect the stick to adb server ***
    *** check if stick is seen by adb server***
    sudo adb devices
    you should see something like:

List of devices attached:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx device

**reboot to recovery:
    adb reboot recovery
    **push rom zip and magisk:
    adb push ./Magisk-v20.0.zip /sdcard/
    adb push ./mantis-6.2.6.6-rooted_r1.zip /sdcard/
    **go to shell from adb:
    adb shell
    **install rom:
    twrp install /sdcard/mantis-6.2.6.6-rooted_r1.zip
    **install magisk
    twrp install /sdcard/Magisk-v20.0.zip
    **wipe cache (maybe not needed but helps)
    twrp wipe cache
    **reboot
    reboot -p

** install Magisk Manager (run command from PC in the folder where you put MagiskManager-v7.3.5.apk)**
    adb install ./MagiskManager-v7.3.5.apk
    * ** open it and check magisk is installed!! ***

** disable update
    adb shell
    (ATTENTION! after executing "su" command go to the fire tv screen and wait for magisk manager to accept the root and click to accept!!)
    su

** if su worked prompt changed from
    mantis:/ $
    to
    mantis:/ #

**disable these 2 apps
    pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
    pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota.override

**clear a pending update and delete the last searched thing from settings. **
    pm clear com.amazon.device.software.ota

*** I hope I didn't forget anything but can't be sure ***

thanks A LOT TO @Sus_i for fundamental advices and corrections!
    @rbox what exactly did you modify on this rom? I'm wondering how ota updates will affect magisk installed on a stock rom or whether DRM checks recovery at all or if it's solely version number?

I included the missing firmware.