• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fire TV Stick 4K (mantis) Prerooted Stock Images [6.2.8.1_r3]

Search This thread

dictorclef

Jul 22, 2017
I resetted my fire stick and flashed this image, which seems to work fine, until I launch Netflix, which makes the whole thing freeze, every time. Is this something to do with it being rooted?

t0ib0i

Sep 6, 2010
I just rooted a new Fire Stick 4K with 6.2.8.1_r3 rom but it keep checking for new update from Amazon and auto update with it. Is there a newer rooted firmware or is there a way to stop the fire stick from auto update? TIA

SweenWolf

Mar 18, 2016
Paradise
Amazon Fire TV
I just rooted a new Fire Stick 4K with 6.2.8.1_r3 rom but it keep checking for new update from Amazon and auto update with it. Is there a newer rooted firmware or is there a way to stop the fire stick from auto update? TIA
You can patch your stick so it doesn't check for updates, Patching instructions are here
What you need from that post is Patch (6.2.8.1) v2.zip
The zip will make some changes on your rom, thats why its a TWRP flashable zip.
After flashing you can normally boot your stick and sign in to your amazon account.
After setting up your device if you want to revert the changes but keep the Amazon account. Just open TWRP and flash 8.2.6.1_r3 without wiping anything, this will revert any changes that my zip did on your system and you can still keep using this rom as it is.

Reactions: puppinoo and Sus_i

t0ib0i

Sep 6, 2010
You can patch your stick so it doesn't check for updates, Patching instructions are here
What you need from that post is Patch (6.2.8.1) v2.zip
The zip will make some changes on your rom, thats why its a TWRP flashable zip.
After flashing you can normally boot your stick and sign in to your amazon account.
After setting up your device if you want to revert the changes but keep the Amazon account. Just open TWRP and flash 8.2.6.1_r3 without wiping anything, this will revert any changes that my zip did on your system and you can still keep using this rom as it is.
I used TWRP to flash the patchv2 over 6.2.8_r3 and now the fire stick 4K is stuck on the fire tv logo on boot.
Would you give detail instructions on how to get the patchv2 applied to get it to work? Thanks again for all your help!!!

SweenWolf

Mar 18, 2016
Paradise
Amazon Fire TV
Last edited:
Reactions: puppinoo

Johnyb

May 17, 2005
Anyone else having problems running NOW app ? I was on r1, updated to r2 & now r3, but app just crashes when it opens?

Mix32019

Jan 20, 2019
I flashed my rooted firestick 4k with 6.2.8.1_r3_4054_patched.zip to check whether multichannel audio/dts is working again but no luck. So I tried to revert back/downgrade to 6.2.7.6, but firestick is stuck at white screen any ideas for fixing apreciated :)
Are there any special stpes to take before downgrading? factory reset eg.?
for downgrading I used the rom from skel40 (thx!) thread, mantis-6.2.7.6-2933-rooted-r2.zip.

TimmyP

Mar 5, 2008
Is updating worth it? Any new functionality? Fixed bugs? Rooted about a year or two ago, still on old version. Never use any Amazon stuff just Wolflauncher and mainly Kodi.

Is the backup size any smaller? (TWRP backup)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are there any special stpes to take before downgrading? factory reset eg.?
    The special step before testing updates is to take a TWRP backup ;)
    Without a backup you may need to wipe data after the OS downgrade.
    Is updating worth it? Any new functionality? Fixed bugs? Rooted about a year or two ago, still on old version. Never use any Amazon stuff just Wolflauncher and mainly Kodi.

Is the backup size any smaller? (TWRP backup)
    Not worth at all, a lot more bugs, size grows too. ;)
    As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

First, you must be unlocked. You can follow the instructions here for making that happen.

If you are first starting, you should first unlock, then install this ROM, and THEN install Magisk for root or any other addons. This rom uses addon.d to preserve Magisk and any other addons, but any system modifications like Magisk, gapps, etc, that you have installed prior to this ROM will NOT be preserved.

If you've already unlocked and installed Magisk, then after installing this ROM you need to reinstall Magisk in TWRP.

Starting with 6.2.6.6, Magisk is always installed.

Beyond that, Magisk and any other addons will be preserved as you flash newer roms. Consequently, if you would like to remove root, you will need to wipe /system in TWRP prior to installing this ROM. That will prevent it from being restored when installing the ROM.

Thanks to @k4y0z and @xyz` for the unlock.

NEVER FLASH A STOCK ROM >= 6.2.8.0 AFTER FLASHING 6.2.8.1_r2 OR LATER! THIS WILL BLOW AN EFUSE.

Changelog and Downloads:
    I have updated the OP with 6.2.7.7_r1.
    I updated the OP with 6.2.8.0_r1.
    @rbox
    can you add new prerooted image for https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...stock-images-6-2-8-1_r2.3983091/post-85725921 ?
    P.S. Last post from rbox was Jul 18, 2021 :( Last seen Sep 27, 2021
    Is something happened?

I updated the OP with 6.2.8.1_r3
    Hi guys, apologies for the noob question as I'm v new to android, i've followed the guide and successfully unlocked my firestick 4k, just wondering exactly how I go about flashing this image.
    If someone could point me in the direction of an idiots guide that would be great.
    Cheers.

Hi,
    Can't assume responsibility if this breaks your system but this is how I've done (with essential help from community).
    Good luck:
    EDIT: This is done in Ubuntu!
    *** enable adb debugging in Fire TV settings ***
    *** connect stick to pc via usb to connect the stick to adb server ***
    *** check if stick is seen by adb server***
    sudo adb devices
    you should see something like:

List of devices attached:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx device

**reboot to recovery:
    adb reboot recovery
    **push rom zip and magisk:
    adb push ./Magisk-v20.0.zip /sdcard/
    adb push ./mantis-6.2.6.6-rooted_r1.zip /sdcard/
    **go to shell from adb:
    adb shell
    **install rom:
    twrp install /sdcard/mantis-6.2.6.6-rooted_r1.zip
    **install magisk
    twrp install /sdcard/Magisk-v20.0.zip
    **wipe cache (maybe not needed but helps)
    twrp wipe cache
    **reboot
    reboot -p

** install Magisk Manager (run command from PC in the folder where you put MagiskManager-v7.3.5.apk)**
    adb install ./MagiskManager-v7.3.5.apk
    * ** open it and check magisk is installed!! ***

** disable update
    adb shell
    (ATTENTION! after executing "su" command go to the fire tv screen and wait for magisk manager to accept the root and click to accept!!)
    su

** if su worked prompt changed from
    mantis:/ $
    to
    mantis:/ #

**disable these 2 apps
    pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
    pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota.override

**clear a pending update and delete the last searched thing from settings. **
    pm clear com.amazon.device.software.ota

*** I hope I didn't forget anything but can't be sure ***

thanks A LOT TO @Sus_i for fundamental advices and corrections!