• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fire TV1 bricked no lights

Search This thread

jj^2

Jan 12, 2017
This FireTV has never been opened. I blocked updates per Aftvnews guide. ALso from AFTVnews serial conversion to software showed version 51.1.01 or 51.1.02. Unfortunately, I did not recall these version will not get past update screen if you are blocking updates. I had let sit at the update screen for over 30 minutes, then pulled plug. Now no lights, nothing. Tried ALT-PrtSCr-i and ALT-SysRq nothing. I bought USB A-A cable and windows shows QUB-xxxxx(or close to this from memory). Downloaded Ubuntu LiveCD and it shows 6 partitions from 17MB, 6.1GB, 2x 805MB, 2 x 8.4MB.
So not unlocked bootloader, no CWM, no TWRP nothing becasue this was A Virgin AFTV 1.
I have searched, requested help in other threads and no response and do not know what else can be done.
I do not know linux, but can follow steps and have updated 2 AFTV1 with rbox methods.
Is there anyway to save this Virgin AFTV1?

Last edited:

walkabouts

Aug 1, 2012
Im in the exact same boat.. But in deeper waters.. Fire Tv is only recognized as Qualcomm com port (Qualcomm HS QDLoader 9008) without showing the partitions, either in windows or linux... Never tried to install a recovery like Twrp, to unlock the bootloader, just had root since day one. But suddenly, when installing the last update something happened after the "Optimizing system storage and applications" menu. A bricked fire tv. Unfortunatelly i cant find a single trick to work... And yes.. I looked everywhere for a solution..

pwntrik

Apr 29, 2016
This FireTV has never been opened. I blocked updates per Aftvnews guide. ALso from AFTVnews serial conversion to software showed version 51.1.01 or 51.1.02. Unfortunately, I did not recall these version will not get past update screen if you are blocking updates. I had let sit at the update screen for over 30 minutes, then pulled plug. Now no lights, nothing. Tried ALT-PrtSCr-i and ALT-SysRq nothing. I bought USB A-A cable and windows shows QUB-xxxxx(or close to this from memory). Downloaded Ubuntu LiveCD and it shows 6 partitions from 17MB, 6.1GB, 2x 805MB, 2 x 8.4MB.
So not unlocked bootloader, no CWM, no TWRP nothing becasue this was A Virgin AFTV 1.
I have searched, requested help in other threads and no response and do not know what else can be done.
I do not know linux, but can follow steps and have updated 2 AFTV1 with rbox methods.
Is there anyway to save this Virgin AFTV1?

Was it a refurb? I had a refurb that had no power out of the box. Sent it back.

jj^2

Jan 12, 2017
Im in the exact same boat.. But in deeper waters.. Fire Tv is only recognized as Qualcomm com port (Qualcomm HS QDLoader 9008) without showing the partitions, either in windows or linux... Never tried to install a recovery like Twrp, to unlock the bootloader, just had root since day one. But suddenly, when installing the last update something happened after the "Optimizing system storage and applications" menu. A bricked fire tv. Unfortunatelly i cant find a single trick to work... And yes.. I looked everywhere for a solution..
Yes, I thought we would get some responses from somebody. Possibly even @rbox and @aftvnews.

Last edited:

walkabouts

Aug 1, 2012
I wish i was in your situation... You can always dd the partitions again, and eventually fix the brick... In my case (QDLoader 9008) there is nothing i can do. Eventually i could theoretically reprogram the emmc chip, but.. not going to happen. I presume you are in stuck in the Qualcomm HS QDLoader 9006, that should be fixable, since you can write to the partitions. There is a post from Rbox where he tells in detail what to do. Best of luck!

walkabouts

Aug 1, 2012
Has anyone been able to download update files and put on usbdrive and have the AFTV read the usb?
Please Help

From my experiences, won't work. The fire tv don't read the update.zip. Without access to a workable recovery, a unlocked bootloader, or functional ADB, there is no way to revive this thing. I would love to be wrong, though..

Reactions: jj^2

jj^2

Jan 12, 2017
From my experiences, won't work. The fire tv don't read the update.zip. Without access to a workable recovery, a unlocked bootloader, or functional ADB, there is no way to revive this thing. I would love to be wrong, though..
Walkabout,
Thanks for the feedback. Really disappointed of the lack of responses from the XDA Community:confused:

walkabouts

Aug 1, 2012
Any news on your brick? Just had an idea, although don't know if it works, and I don't have another working fire TV. But if a backup is made on QPST from a working fire TV, and then restore that same backup on the bricked unit (using again QPST) it might restore the unit. Mmmm.. Eventually! Damn, unfortunately I don't have a good unit to backup!

jj^2

Jan 12, 2017
Any news on your brick? Just had an idea, although don't know if it works, and I don't have another working fire TV. But if a backup is made on QPST from a working fire TV, and then restore that same backup on the bricked unit (using again QPST) it might restore the unit. Mmmm.. Eventually! Damn, unfortunately I don't have a good unit to backup!
Still bricked, put in box hoping later someone could find a way. Ido have a workingAFTV1, but is rooted and updated to OS5. IF you have any idea how to do this I may entertain.
jj^2

Reactions: walkabouts

walkabouts

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the reply! After thinking better about my approach, its pretty much pointless, since to make a backup via QPST we have to enter in EDL mode. And there is no way to make a healthy fire TV enter service mode, not even via fastboot. My bricked fire TV is just like yours, sitting in a drawer. But I haven't given up. At least my mind is busy!

DonBongJohn

Jul 18, 2016
Hey guys I've tried to install https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/development/firetv-1-bueller-twrp-recovery-t3383286,
I did the steps for the locked bootloader and I didn't notice that there were errors.
It is rooted and busybox is installed. But it's stuck at the amazon logo while booting.

Do you think it's possible to unbrick it when I buy an USB-A to USB-A cable?
Version is: 51.1.5.0 30720

Thanks for your help!

Update: Ok I was able to open the stock recovery mode and it was reseting but it still won't boot.
I've waited six hours still didn't boot.

Kurdo21

Feb 12, 2018
Need help

I messed up with amazon fire tv first generatio, it's now not booting up, no light nothing... when i put male-male usb cable i see its storage but that's all. adb can't find device etc.. any help will be appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone been able to download update files and put on usbdrive and have the AFTV read the usb?
    Please Help

Still bricked, put in box hoping later someone could find a way. Ido have a workingAFTV1, but is rooted and updated to OS5. IF you have any idea how to do this I may entertain.
    jj^2