[Firefly] [ROCKCHIP] [ITX-3588J] "This device is not Google Play Protect certified"

Search This thread

Shimmy99

Apr 8, 2020
I want to say that thanks to the help from @Nikhil I finally got the Google Play app set installed on my Firefly ITX-3588J ROCKCHIP RK3588 board's Android 12 stock image install. Except now there's one last little problem that's a bit different than everything I'd been having before here, and that's that it says:

This device isn't Play Protect certified.

Your device isn't certified to run Google apps or use Google services. Contact the device manufacturer or retailer and ask for a certified device.

Learn more at g.co/AndroidCertifiedDevice

And I can't use the Google Play Store to download the apps that I need that were the whole reason for putting it on in the first place (to get Chrome, ZOOM, and Linux Deploy especially).

What can be done about this? From what I gather, Google maintains a list of "blessed" devices and obviously this board (very new, not from a typical manufacturer, not your typical Android device i.e. a phone or tablet) is not there. Is there any way around this? I saw something about registering it in your Google Developer account (which I have one of), I tried that some time ago when I had a less than working Google Play installation (before the recent one which looks to be "100% proper", that one was crashing in weird ways in addition to giving this error), but it seems not to have taken and/or be remembered. The device is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi but that's about it.

Is there any fix? I seem to be soooooo close now to finally having coaxed a usable system out of this board!

Shimmy99

Apr 8, 2020
Look inside here:

Yeah. It's not on the list of certified devices - which is hardly surprising to me given what it is.

ADD: I decided to try registering as a custom ROM.

ADD 2: I finished the custom ROM registration. The device is no longer giving pop up notifications that it is "not Play Protect certified", but Google Play still goes to - and now goes immediately (no log in prompt) to - its "This device is not Play Protect certified" error screen. What's going on?

ADD 3: I managed to get it to work. The trick was to go to System > Apps and clear cache and user data for both Google Play and Google Play services. That reset everything and now it goes! Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Shimmy99

Apr 8, 2020
I am thinking of purchasing one. Where are you at with yours @Shimmy99 ?

Have you been able to download everything you wanted? Are you using a touchscreen?

Thanks ahead of time.

Works great as an Android 12 machine. Ubuntu is proving much less trivial to get working, however, chiefly due to graphics support issues (also not gotten GRUB to work yet, either) - I even installed a GPU card, but it is not fully working because it appears something is funny with the driver code and the way Rockchip's PCI Express controller work together and it looks like a real kernel development problem (kinda reminiscent of issues with the Raspberry Pi and GPUs, but different ones). The real trick to getting a smooth GApps installation was to pack a custom ROM with a suitably loaded "product" partition/directory with the apps from a package like NikGApps. Can/will provide more details later/if you want them. No, I use keyboard and mouse. Android, though, is kinda quirky with them.

mebalzer

May 22, 2013
Thanks for the detailed response. I am thinking of getting the Firefly variant with 4GB/32GB. You mentioned you were trying to add a GPU? It seems the main reason for getting this is due to the Mali GPU. What I am trying to do is create a system with enough "kick" to compete with the Steamdeck but with a 10" screen. Frankly, I just wanted something a little better than my current solution based on a 2019 Shield TV (Tube) but with twice the performance. The Shield TV has been a fun project since I doing a lot of SMD soldering and working in small spaces. I plan to talk about it more on my YouTube channel 'All THings 3D' in a week or two. At $400 for a 10" variant (full BOM) using the Firefly makes it a hard sell for anyone except the tinkerer. If I stick with the Shield TV, it competes niceley with the new Logitech 7" cloud game pad.

Anyway I will message you since I have another project I am working on that may interest you.

Shimmy99

Apr 8, 2020
Thanks for the detailed response. I am thinking of getting the Firefly variant with 4GB/32GB. You mentioned you were trying to add a GPU? It seems the main reason for getting this is due to the Mali GPU. What I am trying to do is create a system with enough "kick" to compete with the Steamdeck but with a 10" screen. Frankly, I just wanted something a little better than my current solution based on a 2019 Shield TV (Tube) but with twice the performance. The Shield TV has been a fun project since I doing a lot of SMD soldering and working in small spaces. I plan to talk about it more on my YouTube channel 'All THings 3D' in a week or two. At $400 for a 10" variant (full BOM) using the Firefly makes it a hard sell for anyone except the tinkerer. If I stick with the Shield TV, it competes niceley with the new Logitech 7" cloud game pad.

Anyway I will message you since I have another project I am working on that may interest you.
You trying to make a handheld with this? This board, I don't think, is compact/cool (as in temperature - it has a fan!) enough for that purpose. It's really more like a mini desktop computer board, or at best a laptop - it'd be an awfully thick "handheld" to accommodate the ventilation... Yes, you're right about the Mali GPU - no Ubuntu support (but OK with Android 12). There are other and smaller RK3588 boards, but the heat dissipation of this processor looks, given the presence of a fan, to likely be a liability for handheld use I'd think.