FireOS 4.5.5.2 is out; breaks root; how to block OTA updates

Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
As of this posting two contributors running FireOS 4.5.5.1 reported being upgraded to 4.5.5.2 which breaks root and various side-loaded apps including Google Play Store. It is not known if 4.5.5.2 can be rooted and/or Safestrap v4 compatibility. Those running rooted FireOS v4 should block OTA updates to protect from unsolicited Amazon distributions.

How to disable OTA updates (source):
- Get a file explorer which has root access (I used ES File Explorer because it was already in the Amazon App Store but every other file explorer should work too)
- Browse to /system/priv-app/ and search for DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk
- Just rename DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk to whatever you like (Important: After renaming the file mustn't end with .apk)
- Profit! You can now access the internet freely without the fear of evil amazon updates

Edit: OTA updates on FireOS v4.x can also be blocked using the technique described in this post.

Last edited:

DBCAB

Nov 9, 2015
Grand Forks
As of this posting two contributors running FireOS 4.5.5.1 reported being upgraded to 4.5.5.2 which breaks root and various side-loaded apps including Google Play Store. It is not known if 4.5.5.2 can be rooted and/or Safestrap v4 compatibility. Those running rooted FireOS v4 should block OTA updates to protect from unsolicited Amazon distributions.

- Get a file explorer which has root access (I used ES File Explorer because it was already in the Amazon App Store but every other file explorer should work too)
- Just rename DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk to whatever you like (Important: After renaming the file mustn't end with .apk)
- Profit! You can now access the internet freely without the fear of evil amazon updates

Which Users? and which apps? Just Google Apps? or are there many that some of us might be using atm ?

DBCAB

Nov 9, 2015
Grand Forks
Ref: http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...oot-how-to-install-google-play-store-t3339865

Relax - just block OTA updates and put yourself in the driver's seat. Then you get to decide if/when to upgrade, not Amazon.

Yes I know how to block ota and all but was wondering if the update even exists and what it does , my mother has a stock kindle never rooted etc and hasn't received anything yet, cant find any info on it but ty for reply , and yeah i like being able to control my device , we all should be able to anyway without modifications, we paid for the device should be able do whatever we want. :eek:

paomiao

Sep 5, 2016
Kingroot not work on 4.5.5.2

Hi all,
I am new on the forum and very unlucky!
Yesterday my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" 3rd gen was upgraded to 4.5.5.2 and I decided to try another way to enjoy my Kindle.
I red this forum and decided to install the Nexus ROM.
First pass was to root the device with Kingroot but it doesn't work (ended with error "ROOT FAILED - no strategy now")
So I think that the new version of firmware 4.5.5.2 CAN'T be rooted directly with Kingroot 4.9.6.
Bye

Reactions: DB126

mxnerd

Jul 18, 2010
Too late to block OTA! My Kindle Fire 7 HDX 3rd gen updated automatically to 4.5.5.2 and Google Service stops working and could not open Google Play Store, keeps crashing it. Could not login Google account, can't see Google Photos.

Kingroot 4.9.6 failed to root.

Hope can be fixed soon.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Too late to block OTA! My Kindle Fire 7 HDX 3rd gen updated automatically to 4.5.5.2 and Google Service stops working and could not open Google Play Store, keeps crashing it. Could not login Google account, can't see Google Photos.

Hope can be fixed soon.
At present the only solution is a risky downgrade to 3.2.8 followed by a controlled upgrade to 4.5.5.1. Instructions must be carefully followed to avoid bricking; all personal apps/data will be lost. Consider waiting for a root exploit which could happen tomorrow or never.

Android Rom Guy

Jul 20, 2016
Musselburgh
is this bad

I rooted on 4.5.5.1, blocked updates then turned system off. I turned it on in the morning to find it has reset itself. I looked for the update file in /system/priv-app, but it wasn't there. Is this bad?

n.fajira

Oct 26, 2016
i accidentally update to 4.5.5.2 too from a rooted 4.5.5.1
i'am so frustrate right now as there is no way to root this damn 4.5.5.2 version

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
i accidentally update to 4.5.5.2 too from a rooted 4.5.5.1
i'am so frustrate right now as there is no way to root this damn 4.5.5.2 version
You can rollback to 3.2.8 and then upgrade back to 4.5.5.1, root and block OTA updates to prevent recurrence. Also possible to unlock the boot loader which opens the door to all custom roms for this device. Note 3.2.8 rollback carries a risk (permanent brick) if not executed properly. A summary of the procedure can be found here. Make sure you fully understand before attempting. Guessing 50% of those who start end up bricking their device by simply not following instructions.

n.fajira

Oct 26, 2016
You can rollback to 3.2.8 and then upgrade back to 4.5.5.1, root and block OTA updates to prevent recurrence. Also possible to unlock the boot loader which opens the door to all custom roms for this device. Note 3.2.8 rollback carries a risk (permanent brick) if not executed properly. A summary of the procedure can be found here. Make sure you fully understand before attempting. Guessing 50% of those who start end up bricking their device by simply not following instructions.

i'am sorry i forgot to mention my device version is Kindle fire HD 7 soho. i know i suppose to be in other thread. anyway, you think i can follow the steps you mention above?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
i'am sorry i forgot to mention my device version is Kindle fire HD 7 soho. i know i suppose to be in other thread. anyway, you think i can follow the steps you mention above?
Likely not. The specially crafted 3.2.8 rollback image was captured during a brief period when Amazon honored downgrade requests. It is device dependent and would probably brick a HD 7.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Edit: OTA updates on FireOS v4.x can also be blocked using the technique described in this post.
    Congrats on resurecting you device (with a little help from that amazing dude @draxie)! The wipe/install sequence & selections noted in your last paragraph are correct. Be sure to flash a suitable GAaps package (suggest arm/6.0/nano before booting CM for the first time. Adding GAaps later can be problematic. No need to flash SuperSU now; can be added later if desired.

As you suggested, I chose nano version of GAPPS along with CM13 zip file and flashed both at the same time (never noticed that you can choose multiple zip file at the same time before). A complete success!

The built-in camera app does not work, replaced it with Google camera and problem solved.

Can't say enough thanks to you guys. Highly, highly appreciated!!!

Hope can be fixed soon.
    At present the only solution is a risky downgrade to 3.2.8 followed by a controlled upgrade to 4.5.5.1. Instructions must be carefully followed to avoid bricking; all personal apps/data will be lost. Consider waiting for a root exploit which could happen tomorrow or never.
    Give credit where credit is due

As you suggested, I chose nano version of GAPPS along with CM13 zip file and flashed both at the same time (never noticed that you can choose multiple zip file at the same time before). A complete success!

The built-in camera app does not work, replaced it with Google camera and problem solved.

Can't say enough thanks to you guys. Highly, highly appreciated!!!

You deserve a *lot* of credit yourself for your inquisitive spirit.

First, had you not asked about my side-note regarding fake-signing 'boot.img',
    @Davey126 wouldn't have had a reason to mention me, which would've meant
    that I had likely never read your message, since I don't normally follow this thread.

Second, your observation about those 9 additional drives was the clue that lead us
    to the right solution, once you also reported that small 64MB drive with \image...

Now, if you'd like to give back to the community, it could be very useful
    if you could recall *when* those 9 drives started popping up. Was that
    right on the first reboot attempt after flashing? Or did that only happen
    after a long-press attempt (and, in that case, approximately how long)?

We _may_ have found a cure for bricked HDX devices that don't show
    any logo... which is likely due to a messed up bootloader... which may be
    possible to just reflash the same way you did yours, assuming we can
    coerce the device (if coercion is even needed) to expose its partitions.

I'm not (yet ;^)) willing to experiment with this even on my two test
    devices, since I still need them to complete my eternity-project....
    BUT, just to verify that I got it right: you did mean that one could re-flash, but chose not to unlock,
    and then only those ROMs that have their boot.img signature forged would be usable, right?
    I just cannot fathom why anyone who got as far as flashing wouldn't unlock, since unlocking is a harmless,
    no-risk activity (much less so than re-flashing).
    100% correct: flash vulnerable bootloader (and optionally TWRP) while leaving the former locked. While unlocking attempts are harmless generating unlock codes and/or establishing a fastboot connection pose significant obstacles for many members. Indeed this is where most people get hung up. On the other hand accessing adb and flashing the vulnerable bootloader is a relatively trivial process for most - albeit with some risk. Most get through it without incident (within the confines of the topic being discussed here). Unlocking remains a future option for those seeking to move beyond the confines of KitKat based ROMs.