FireOS 5.6.0.0 HD 8 (2017) + Google play store

Search This thread

ari101

Dec 1, 2017
Someone mentioned setting up the built in Amazon app first to solve that. I did that first before installing Gmail (and turned off notifications for the Amazon one) and haven't had any problems.
Gmail does not show up as an app on AmazonStore, or did you mean some other email app. I'm having the same problem that my Gmail app from Google Play store opens and then immediately crashes.

k0nkuzh0n

Jan 22, 2011
Anyone who updated to 5.6 and has the HD 8... do you have hands free Alexa now? Or is it still exclusive to the HD 10? Thinking about getting a 7 or 8 for home automation, but if it doesn't have hands free alexa, it loses quite a bit of value. And the HD 10 is just too big for me for this purpose. Thanks!!

abacabie

Jun 8, 2014
Anyone who updated to 5.6 and has the HD 8... do you have hands free Alexa now? Or is it still exclusive to the HD 10? Thinking about getting a 7 or 8 for home automation, but if it doesn't have hands free alexa, it loses quite a bit of value. And the HD 10 is just too big for me for this purpose. Thanks!!

At the moment the HD 8 does not have hands free Alexa, still a HD10 exclusive.

Reactions: k0nkuzh0n

horseflyuk

Dec 20, 2017
Hi, would really appreciate an update on this as I am sure lots of parents are tearing their hair out trying to find a solution.

thank you

I was finally able to get them installed on my profile. Then copied them to a SD card and attempting to install in child profile so it can be available in FreeTime, but unfortunately when locking / unlocking screen it reverts back to the main FreeTime launcher vs staying on the install window. Really want this app available in FreeTime so my kid can remain in FT only.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jason.maggio

Aug 29, 2010
Play services blocked

This doesn't work anymore. Seems recent FireOS updates prevent you from installing Google play services and Play Store under the child's profile.

What version of fire OS did you get blocked on? I just got 2 for the kids today and got a similar issue.

Carrech

Dec 26, 2017
Play store icon not showing

I just got the fire hd 8, I downloaded all the files and opened the google play store and then downloaded the nook app and both work and can be opened. But neither of those app icons show on my main screen. The show under ‘for you’ and if I search apps, but the icons do not shoe if I select ‘see all of your apps’ or if on the home screen?

Neo2020Marz

Jan 5, 2013
installed fine and playstore working but get permission popup that takes me to fire settings. I cant find permissions under apps to change. All are greyed out. do i need root for this? where do you change permissions?

lghorn99

Nov 17, 2017
What version of fire OS did you get blocked on? I just got 2 for the kids today and got a similar issue.
Mine was 5.6.0; I've since returned the Fire HD and purchased a used Galaxy Tab and set it up for my kid with Google Family Link. Works great and full access to Play Store apps, services, solid parental controls, etc. Downside is it still costs more and no awesome warranty like the Fire Kid's Edition.

kamikaze168

Oct 15, 2009
After fooling around with Google apks all day to try to get Youtube kids to work in Freetime. This finally worked for me. I followed previous poster suggestion and unistalled all google service from adult profile and tried to reinstall from the child profile under freetime. I also downloaded the latest Google Play Services that came out few days ago. Just wanted to post this as it was very fustrating trying to search for a working solution.

Greygeek

Feb 12, 2018
I finally gave up and returned the Fire HD to buy a new Samsung galaxy Tab on sale at Costco. Everything Android just works and I don't have to put up with ads on every screen. And you get Android Version 7.1 Nougat (vs 3yr old version 5) where you can limit what permissions each app has (no sneaky stealing of your contacts for example). At the Costco sale price, it is well worth the $45 extra bucks.

ralfbergs

Dec 6, 2014
It seems Amazon chose to use a different signature
The signature is different every time they launch a new version anyway. What you mean is they used a different signing key.

To be able to successfully update an APK the update must be using the same package name, plus it must have been signed with the same signing key.

Reactions: obvious

vm81

Jul 16, 2015
New York
So I am having a VERY particular issue and hoping some of you have gone through it and might have thoughts.

I recently disabled a bunch of stuff on Fire HD 8 7th Gen. I installed Google play store and all apks. I can only log into my Google account using a U2F security key. I use Yubikey 4 and it works great. However, when I try to log into Google playstore it wants me to use security key with bluetooth. Yubikey 4 does not have bluetooth. I have been able to use it on my phone using USB OTG cable yet I cant seem to do that on fire hd 8. Only option it gives me is to use a security key with USB. Does anyone have any idea if its possible to force it to use USB and not bluetooth?

Thanks!

Kevin108

Feb 3, 2011
Virginia Beach, VA
Suddenly the Play Store cannot install or update apps. Initially I was getting error 190. I've tried a few things you'd find with a typical Google search with no luck. I then did a factory reset and performed the root process and installed the Play Store again. I'm now getting an error 0 and can install/update nothing with the Play Store. It could be coincidental, but the trouble seemed to start upon insertion of a micro SD card.

FireOS is 5.6.1.0 on a current model 10. The SD card has been removed and is no longer in play. The tablet has been wiped/factory reset in recovery, and the root process repeated. The 4 components of the Play Store were installed with ADB. I have root, just the Play Store is unable to actually install or update anything.

Any ideas?

jakiejohnson

Jul 28, 2015
Hawaii
Suddenly the Play Store cannot install or update apps. Initially I was getting error 190. I've tried a few things you'd find with a typical Google search with no luck. I then did a factory reset and performed the root process and installed the Play Store again. I'm now getting an error 0 and can install/update nothing with the Play Store. It could be coincidental, but the trouble seemed to start upon insertion of a micro SD card.

FireOS is 5.6.1.0 on a current model 10. The SD card has been removed and is no longer in play. The tablet has been wiped/factory reset in recovery, and the root process repeated. The 4 components of the Play Store were installed with ADB. I have root, just the Play Store is unable to actually install or update anything.

Any ideas?
Try restart your device, then force stop Google play store

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    google installer 2.0
    Attempting PlayStore install on HD8 and getting "Parse Error" at Google Account Manager Install
    Folks suggest using .APK Editor(s) - but no clues re installing App on Fire Tablet

Suggestions?
    Use the instructions located in another Thread here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603

If you run into a problem where after you download the APK and the install button is "dimmed out" and is not responding to touch, lock and unlock the screen and the install button should be "lit" back up and working again.
    go to the download where the install button is dimmed, just lock and unlock the screen, "install" button should light up

At the moment the HD 8 does not have hands free Alexa, still a HD10 exclusive.
    It seems Amazon chose to use a different signature
    The signature is different every time they launch a new version anyway. What you mean is they used a different signing key.

To be able to successfully update an APK the update must be using the same package name, plus it must have been signed with the same signing key.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone