FireTV 1 (bueller) TWRP Recovery

Search This thread

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
The boot_unlocked was for if you hadn't rebooted. You have to flash every single firmware image. You also need to do eject /dev/sdb at the end or whatever your device is.
ejecting is the key here, without it, still no boot. Rbox, maybe you can add this to the op rather than referencing a thread post each time. Also, try making the first step in red letters, accentuate it more. I get that people should read carefully, but many people assumed they had a fully unlocked bootloader and soft bricked their devices.

Last edited:

deepasadish

Apr 15, 2013

Pumilio

Jan 29, 2009
Okay. Well unfortunately bootmenu will still be jacked up. And I won't have time until next week to make a proper release with all these fixes... but it should keep you guys happy until then.

just curious, what did you fix that made this work?

also, will you be linking this in the OP as the fixed/updated TWRP or is this a one off thing.

thanks for your awesome and quick fix.

So he will make a proper release when he has time next week :D

decayed.cell

Jan 16, 2010
test7 worked for me
:good:

I've tried test7 and test8. I've tried flashing it in CWM as well and it doesn't work. At least ADB comes up when its in recovery now. I just can't get a display up directly connected to my TV or through my receiver. It flashes the TWRP logo but that's it. The power LED pulsates on and off

lightning413

Jan 16, 2009
I've tried test7 and test8. I've tried flashing it in CWM as well and it doesn't work. At least ADB comes up when its in recovery now. I just can't get a display up directly connected to my TV or through my receiver. It flashes the TWRP logo but that's it. The power LED pulsates on and off

I had all the same problems that everyone else is having with my FTV1's and I've been successful with 2 of them and working on the 3rd one now.

What I do is after ensuring the bootloader is unlocked, dd'ing the bueller-twrp file and doing 'adb reboot recovery', I just let it sit for a couple of hours and the ftv eventually goes into the twrp recovery.
I have no idea why this works but it has worked with 2 of them so far.

tdfsu

May 9, 2012
Can I update twrp like below?

adb push C:\bueller-twrp-test8.img /sdcard/
dd if=/data/media/0/bueller-twrp-test8.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Ive upgraded fo Fire OS5 and fully unlocked, but twrp from the OP is unusable because I have a 720p display.

Last edited:

YoColdRain

Jul 1, 2010

dd if=/data/media/0/bueller-twrp-test8.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Ive upgraded fo Fire OS5 and fully unlocked, but twrp from the OP is unusable because I have a 720p display.

did you do test8 recovery img, which rbox posted page or so back, specifically for 720p.

YoColdRain

Jul 1, 2010

No, that's what I want to do. Just want to make sure my adb commands are correct.

yea that should be fine. sometimes, your img file location may differ. For example, I had to do /data/media/bueller... even tho it was transferred to /sdcard/

iniro

Jan 29, 2009
rbox thanks thanks and thanks, I have my lovely aftv running again. I restored with linux instructions. Ubuntu live usb and in my case, aftv was on /dev/sdd. Then I re-flashed prerooted 5.0.5.1_r1. Now Im trying to get xposed working again. This rom is not to auto update not?
thx thx and thx again rbox.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
rbox thanks thanks and thanks, I have my lovely aftv running again. I restored with linux instructions. Ubuntu live usb and in my case, aftv was on /dev/sdd. Then I re-flashed prerooted 5.0.5.1_r1. Now Im trying to get xposed working again. This rom is not to auto update not?
thx thx and thx again rbox.

You should always be blocking updates.

aHcVolle

Nov 3, 2010
Stuttgart
Ok so here is my way to twrp & 5.0.5.1:

I was on an fully unlocked bootloader, latest cwm and latest FireOS3 update.
When i first flashed twrp it didn't show anything on my tv when booting to recovery (via the old bootmenu or via adb reboot recovery didn't matter)...
I tried the original twrp from op as well as test7 and test8.
There was no change in the recovery boot.
I've got my firetv connected to my tv via my receiver, when i changed the cables to connect my firetv to my tv directly i got the flashing twrp boot screen.
After this i connected my firetv to my hdmi monitor which gave me the twrp menu, where i couldn't do anything because i could only see "install" and "wipe" but i didn't know what so select after a selected the .zip file.

I remembered tdfsu posting the shell command to install the .zip file. Since i could see twrp's IP i tried connecting to it via adb which succeeded.
I installed 5.0.5.1 via the command
Code:
recovery --update_package=/sdcard/bueller-5.0.5.1-rooted_r1.zip
This took a few minutes after which the firetv rebooted (i guess this was on purpose).
I could see the new bootmenu (or i couldn't, i did look weird like twrp) and after that i got a black screen (after the white amazon logo did show).
I connected the firetv back to my TV but didn't get any output there.
Then i rebooted the firetv which did show me the new bootmenu (it did look normal).
I selected recovery which did boot to twrp like there has never been a problem at all...
I wiped cache & dalvik in twrp and did reboot the firetv.
After some optimizing it did boot perfectly to FireOS5.

Thanks to rbox and to the rest of the testers in here!

So I am the new minority. As stated before, I am on static ip address (no DHCP on network). I tried the new 8 file (yes unlocked bootloader and 51.whatever) and this time, instead of the flashing during booting as we had with the previous version, I get nothing after it tries to boot into recovery. It reboots, goes to the white screen, flashes once and then sits on white screen. I can restore back to CWM fine as before, but no boot into TWRP at all with the latest changes, so no bootloop, just white screen. I checked md5 and dd a few times and even copied it over again, just to make sure, but no luck. Pulling the plug brings me to boot menu and if I select recovery there, I also go to blank white screen.

MrLyle

May 25, 2016
So initially I had the bootloop problem. Tried with the test8 img and got the white light blinking issue. After about 7 or 8 minutes of blinking, TWRP actually loaded. I tried installing 5.0.5.1_r1 but I got an error. Error 7 I believe it was. Couldn't unmount /system.
And now I can't load the old Kernel either. It's just stuck in the boot menu. I can choose recovery and go back to the blinking problem. When I do that I at least have adb access.

Last edited:

deepasadish

Apr 15, 2013
#3 is done.
I don't think it's coincidence that I've been able to replicate this in 3 different boxes.
To me it looks like the box keeps trying to boot into recovery and until it eventually does.

Definitely give it a shot, it can't hurt.

you da man!!! this worked. i simply left it in TWRP looping/blinking (~1 hour) and eventually entered TWRP.

everyone should try this!!!

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

So initially I had the bootloop problem. Tried with the test8 img and got the white light blinking issue. After about 7 or 8 minutes of blinking, TWRP actually loaded. I tried installing 5.0.5.1_r1 but I got an error. Error 7 I believe it was. Couldn't unmount /system.

i got same error too. try wiping dalvik and cache and then install.

MrLyle

May 25, 2016
you da man!!! this worked. i simply left it in TWRP looping/blinking (~1 hour) and eventually entered TWRP.

everyone should try this!!!

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

i got same error too. try wiping dalvik and cache and then install.

trying that now, but I have to wait for blinking to stop and for TWRP to actually load...Last time it took about 5 minutes, see how long it takes this time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's finally here! TWRP recovery for the Fire TV 1. Most likely, I will not be updating this thread with new releases, as the prerooted ROMs will always contain the latest version. This thread is just here so people on Fire OS 3 can install TWRP and people on rooted but locked bootloader Fire TV 1's can get recovery initially installed.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

Installing this requires root. If you are not rooted, figure that out first.

Installation for Unlocked Bootloader
    1. Make sure you are on a FULLY unlocked bootloader. From within FireOS and after running su run this:
      Code:
      cat /proc/cmdline
      And MAKE SURE unlocked_kernel=true is present! If it is not, you are NOT fully unlocked and you must Fully Unlock first!
    2. Make sure you are on at least 51.1.4.0 ROM and the latest CWM installed.
    3. Copy the bueller-twrp_3.0.0-6.img file to /sdcard
    4. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (are you sure you did step 1?)
      Code:
      dd if=/data/media/0/bueller-twrp_3.0.0-6.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    5. From outside adb shell, reboot to recovery
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    6. TWRP should load, you can install a FireOS5 prerooted ROM now.

Installation for Locked Bootloader
    1. This requires that you are on at least version 5.0.5 and rooted.
    2. Copy the bueller_recovery_vX.zip file to /sdcard
    3. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (replace vX with the actual version you downloaded)
      Code:
      sh /data/media/0/bueller_recovery_vX.zip
    4. Reboot

Notes
    This includes bootmenu. For everyone that loved the old bootmenu with Comic Sans, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the Comic Sans is gone. When the FireTV boots, it will present you with the bootmenu where you can leave it alone and it will boot normally or you can select recovery and it will boot in to recovery. You do need a USB keyboard to interact with the bootmenu. To force it to boot in to Recovery, you can create a file /cache/bootmenu_recovery.

DHCP for Ethernet is enabled, and if there is enough demand I may add in wifi at some point. The IP address should show up in the top left corner.

USB storage and USB keyboard/mice should all work. Hotplugging works, so you should be able to plug and unplug devices as needed.

You can use a USB keyboard, mouse, or the mouse emulator to interact with it. To use a keyboard, you can use the arrow keys to move the cursor and the enter key to select buttons. Sliders don't require sliding, so you can just hit enter/click on them. To use the mouse emulator, use adb shell and then run the program mouse and follow the instructions.

ROMs
    Recovery must be included in all ROMs. If you want to develop a ROM, please contact me about including recovery in it.

Installing zips
    You can push zips to /sdcard, put it on a USB storage, or use adb sideload. Do note you need adb version 1.0.32 to use adb sideload.

Stuck in a loop?
    If you cannot boot normally and keep going back to the bootmenu, wipe Cache from Wipe -> Advanced Wipe.

Source Code
    You can find the source code here:
    https://github.com/androidrbox/firetv-2ndinit
    https://github.com/androidrbox/android_bootable_recovery

WARNINGS

• It is extremely important you never reboot after a failure. This will most likely lead to a brick. If recovery is hung, you can use adb shell to run
      Code:
      killall recovery
      to restart it
    • It is also extremely important to never reboot after wiping /system.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has donated to me.

Changelog and Downloads:
    • July 7, 2016 - v2 (md5sum: 8f65187cb0cbc190a7d64f512ae3ede2)
      • This is the updated version with TWRP 3.0.0-7.
    • July 4, 2016 - TWRP Image 3.0.0-7 (md5sum: cda1a1c1cdd3e25a1caa86f5a5de1eee)
    • May 20, 2016 - v1 (md5sum: 9208d81fd07cff9952de5be33c62f730)
      • This is for use by people who have FireOS5 and are rooted.
      • This includes 2ndinit version a7a48c and TWRP version 3.0.0-6.
    • May 20, 2016 - TWRP Image (md5sum: 5dc83370046e5b50755ddb55fe8424ad)
      • This is for use by people who have FireOS3 and CWM and is TWRP version 3.0.0-6.
    This test image worked for me but my tv is only 720p so the graphics overlap and it is VERY hard to use. Any chance of getting a version with a 720p theme instead?

Ask and ye shall receive... This has the looping fix and a possible 720 fix.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uzvjvjb5ydvyja3/bueller-twrp-test8.img
    Worked great!! Thanks so much for all your hard work!

Okay. Well unfortunately bootmenu will still be jacked up. And I won't have time until next week to make a proper release with all these fixes... but it should keep you guys happy until then.
    I can't imagine why a TV would cause TWRP to crash, but at this point I can't explain it.

New TV did nothing, as you suspected.

I did get it to work though, Here's what I did.
    Reflashed latest CWM
    Full wipe in CWM (Not sure if this was needed?)
    adb shelll WHILE IN CWM and flashed TWRP
    did adb reboot recovery and TWRP loaded, Now I flashed pre-rooted 5.0.5 rom
    To anyone still experiencing the flashing problem and/or anyone who had it fixed with test8:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m84irafe8idoklm/bueller-twrp-test9.img

Hopefully this fixes it?