FireTV 1 (bueller) TWRP Recovery

Search This thread

S-O-F

Mar 22, 2017
Something seems to be not working for me...

I have a rooted 51.1.40 FireOS3.
I have unlocked the bootloader. (When I enter shell, the prompt is already root@andorid, and cat /proc/cmdline returns
androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x3F ehci-hcd.park=3 maxcpus=2 androidboot.emmc=true androidboot.serialno=7090030342330NUK androidboot.unlocked_kernel=true androidboot.baseband=apq​
I have the newest CWM (6.0.5.1.4a) and I can boot into recovery with it no problem.

I have followed steps from the OP:
pushed bueller-twrp_3.0.0-7.img to sdcard
ran dd if=/data/media/0/bueller-twrp_3.0.0-7.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
(why /data/media/0/ rather then /sdcard/? also do you still need to su to become root if you are already at root@android? I tried both ways to no difference.)
reboot to recovery.
and... nothing. No TWRP logo, menu, looping, just a screen full of static.
Leave it sitting for an hour, nothing changed. Pull the power, turn on again, I can return back to FireOS3 (and quickly reapplied the CWM just incase).

I've gone back and forth between CWM and TWRP a few time retrying the TWRP installation, to no change.

I'm thinking it'd be easier to just enable OTA updates, update to 5.0.5, Kingroot, and use the second instructions which worked for an earlier FireTV I needed to upgrade, but this one is the one I use and has all my SPMC config data, which I would prefer not to have to redo again, so I would like to avoid Factory Reset.

Anyone have any clue what the hell is going on? I have read through the thread and didn't spot anything that sounded anything like my problem.

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
Install twrp version 3.0.0-7

I have unlocked the bootloader. (When I enter shell, the prompt is already root@andorid, and cat /proc/cmdline returns
androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x3F ehci-hcd.park=3 maxcpus=2 androidboot.emmc=true androidboot.serialno=7090030342330NUK androidboot.unlocked_kernel=true androidboot.baseband=apq​
I have the newest CWM (6.0.5.1.4a) and I can boot into recovery with it no problem.

ran dd if=/data/media/0/bueller-twrp_3.0.0-7.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
(why /data/media/0/ rather then /sdcard/? also do you still need to su to become root if you are already at root@android? I tried both ways to no difference.)
reboot to recovery.
Leave it sitting for an hour, nothing changed. Pull the power, turn on again, I can return back to FireOS3 (and quickly reapplied the CWM just incase).

I've gone back and forth between CWM and TWRP a few time retrying the TWRP installation, to no change.

I'm thinking it'd be easier to just enable OTA updates, update to 5.0.5, Kingroot, and use the second instructions which worked for an earlier FireTV I needed to upgrade, but this one is the one I use and has all my SPMC config data, which I would prefer not to have to redo again, so I would like to avoid Factory Reset.

Anyone have any clue what the hell is going on? I have read through the thread and didn't spot anything that sounded anything like my problem.

Install twrp version 3.0.0-7.... also have on ready on SD card or thumb drive... once you reboot, you should have twrp boot selection options. Boot into twrp recovery then install your own rom.. I just installed 5.2.1.2, rooted version from xda or aftv news. Remember to login, I had no home info until I logged in amazon account. .

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

reboot to recovery.

Install twrp version 3.0.0-7.... also have rom ready on SD card or thumb drive... once you reboot, you should have twrp boot selection options. Boot into twrp recovery then install your own rom.. I just installed 5.2.1.2, rooted version from xda or aftv news. Remember to login, I had no home info until I logged in amazon account. .

S-O-F

Mar 22, 2017
Install twrp version 3.0.0-7.... also have on ready on SD card or thumb drive... once you reboot, you should have twrp boot selection options. Boot into twrp recovery then install your own rom.. I just installed 5.2.1.2, rooted version from xda or aftv news. Remember to login, I had no home info until I logged in amazon account. .

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

Install twrp version 3.0.0-7.... also have rom ready on SD card or thumb drive... once you reboot, you should have twrp boot selection options. Boot into twrp recovery then install your own rom.. I just installed 5.2.1.2, rooted version from xda or aftv news. Remember to login, I had no home info until I logged in amazon account. .

Ah thats the problem though, I don't seem to get the twrp boot selection options or anything. I know people have mentioned being stuck in a boot loop until they plug in a thumb drive, but I don't seem to get a boot anything. The twrp logo never comes up, not boot options are given, just a screen of white noise. Well I'll try the thumb drive anyways, at which point do I try putting it in? Can I have it in before I reboot or only stick it in after the static pops up?

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
Tarp romantic setup

Ah thats the problem though, I don't seem to get the twrp boot selection options or anything. I know people have mentioned being stuck in a boot loop until they plug in a thumb drive, but I don't seem to get a boot anything. The twrp logo never comes up, not boot options are given, just a screen of white noise. Well I'll try the thumb drive anyways, at which point do I try putting it in? Can I have it in before I reboot or only stick it in after the static pops up?

Install tarp 3.0.0-7 first, don't reboot. Push or transfer Buller rom you want to sdcard. Aftv news has great info on this. Now you reboot into recovery, find your rom and install.... you need a keyboard connected to box.

S-O-F

Mar 22, 2017
Install tarp 3.0.0-7 first, don't reboot. Push or transfer Buller rom you want to sdcard. Aftv news has great info on this. Now you reboot into recovery, find your rom and install.... you need a keyboard connected to box.

Heh sorry, that's what Im trying to say, I've installed 3.0.0-7, have bueller-5.2.1.2-rooted_r1.zip sitting in /sdcard/. do adb reboot recovery, the firetv shuts down, and then just moves on to nothing but white noise static on the screen. TV doesn't even say it's not getting a signal, so as far as I can tell, the fireTV IS sending an image out, it's just the image is nothing at all. Just static snow white noise etc. It does not show me the twrp logo, it does not give me an option to enter twrp recovery, it does not appear to bootloop, it does not load into the currently isntalled FireOS3, it does nothing but spit white noise static at the tv screen, until I pull the power on it.

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
Rest restore!?

Heh sorry, that's what Im trying to say, I've installed 3.0.0-7, have bueller-5.2.1.2-rooted_r1.zip sitting in /sdcard/. do adb reboot recovery, the firetv shuts down, and then just moves on to nothing but white noise static on the screen. TV doesn't even say it's not getting a signal, so as far as I can tell, the fireTV IS sending an image out, it's just the image is nothing at all. Just static snow white noise etc. It does not show me the twrp logo, it does not give me an option to enter twrp recovery, it does not appear to bootloop, it does not load into the currently isntalled FireOS3, it does nothing but spit white noise static at the tv screen, until I pull the power on it.

You may need to reset, restore in cwm. Install os3 rom. May need to wipe system, cache, dalvik!? Aftv news and xda as well will have some help. Some people had same issues. I have 1 box that's the same on every step too. The others are fine. Be ready to adb files over incase you wipe the rom you need. I have 1 box that hates updates... stuck at 51.1.0.2 lol.. never got back to it..

S-O-F

Mar 22, 2017
Sigh... :( Nope, I have now tried to further:
Reset to factory defaults from cwm -> Install twrp->Nothing but white noise on reboot to recovery
Install Boot Menu->Update to CFW 51.1.6.3 (rooted)->Install TWRP->Noting but white noise on reboot to recovery
Try enable ota updates and install newer patch that way (with twrp installed)->Nothing but white noise on reboot, hard reboot returns to normal OS with the update
downloaded and waiting for install.
Try enable ota updates and install newer patch that way (with CWM installed)->Reboots to clockwork recovery, I don't know how to apply official updates from there.

Bloody hell... :(

Last edited:

heidthebaw

Jul 11, 2010
I had a fully unlocked bootloader and had been running rbox 1. Rebooted into twrp 3.0.0.7 and tried to update to a pre-rooted rom.
It came up sayig it couldn'y mount the cache etc., and but said the image was transferred (I think).
Took option to reboot.
Came up stating installing latest software. Rebooted.
Now when it starts up I get the initial amazon logo, then amazon fire tv logo then a blank screen and nothing?? Fire tv is still on and outputting to TV as get distorted screen graphics.

Help?

Can't seem to do anything. Followed instructions on here, so not sure what I did wrong?

Last edited:

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
Romantic and recovery issues

I had a fully unlocked bootloader and had been running rbox 1. Rebooted into twrp 3.0.0.7 and tried to update to a pre-rooted rom.
It came up sayig it couldn'y mount the cache etc., and but said the image was transferred (I think).
Took option to reboot.
Now when it starts up I get the initial amazon logo, then amazon fire tv logo then a blank screen and nothing?? Fire tv is still on and outputting to TV as get distorted screen graphics.

Help?

Can't seem to do anything. Followed instructions on here, so not sure what I did wrong?

I have 1 box that's like this, I've updated other boxes... can you get to recovery? CWM or TWRP? If u can, you many need to flash latest os3 rom. Make sure your on the newest or patched TWRP recovery 3.0.0-7. Make sure it boot normally on both recovery and aftv os. At this point, You may need to wipe system then install fresh os3 rom or new os5 rom 5.0.5......

Aftv news has lots to read and has some help too.

This guy has great vids...

Fire Tv 1st Gen - A to Z Guide: h t t p://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq4EPW92B28dTjWxW3TpRVQxoPmCaPZlb

Reactions: heidthebaw

heidthebaw

Jul 11, 2010
I have 1 box that's like this, I've updated other boxes... can you get to recovery? CWM or TWRP? If u can, you many need to flash latest os3 rom. Make sure your on the newest or patched TWRP recovery 3.0.0-7. Make sure it boot normally on both recovery and aftv os. At this point, You may need to wipe system then install fresh os3 rom or new os5 rom 5.0.5......

Fire Tv 1st Gen - A to Z Guide

Thanks so much for the reply mate.

So can get to TWRP recovery now. Got it to load up to finding the controller then looking for updates (got to the point that I wasn't bothered about losing root or going to latest software), but when I try and flash any image it just comes up with an error 7 at the end. WHen it reboots it will either go to recovery straight away or will try and load and get to the coloured amazon logo then reboot to recovery.

On 3.0.07. Will try the latest os3 rom. Doing my head in. Any more help much appreciated

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

Fire Tv 1st Gen - A to Z Guid

Btw do I use stock or safe image? I can't flash bin files through twrp can i?

heidthebaw

Jul 11, 2010
OK, so managed to get it working again on an old rom. Then followed the guide here and again error 7. Don't know what to do now. Tempted to just let it update if I get it working again.

It's hardware rooted though, so don't know if that would be detected and blocked?

** edit ** got it working again, but can't seem to put anyhing newer than os 3 on. If I try through TWRP it's just consistent error 7's mno matter which Rom I use? Would it be worth trying an older version of TWRP?

Last edited:

heidthebaw

Jul 11, 2010
Sorted!!!

It was 2 different usb sticks. Hadn;tbeen able to push the files for some reason, so had used USB. They didnt seem to work with TWRP. Bizarre.

But all up to day on the newest version now :D

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
Cano you install last one rom?

Aftv news has all the roms that are rooted for you.. can you format system, and install os5 rooted rom. 5.0.5.. yeah I have a box that wants to stay on os3.

View some of this guy's vids.. they may help.

Fire Tv 1st Gen - A to Z Guide: h t t p://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq4EPW92B28dTjWxW3TpRVQxoPmCaPZlb

Thanks so much for the reply mate.

So can get to TWRP recovery now. Got it to load up to finding the controller then looking for updates (got to the point that I wasn't bothered about losing root or going to latest software), but when I try and flash any image it just comes up with an error 7 at the end. WHen it reboots it will either go to recovery straight away or will try and load and get to the coloured amazon logo then reboot to recovery.

On 3.0.07. Will try the latest os3 rom. Doing my head in. Any more help much appreciated

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

Btw do I use stock or safe image? I can't flash bin files through twrp can i?

feegus

Dec 8, 2010
When I try and reboot into the new recovery I just get a black screen. No boot loop or flickering. How long does first boot normally take?

EDIT: So now I've pulled the plug and rebooted that way. I get the old Comic sans Rbox menu that will launch normally but if I choose recovery option on that original menu I again just get a black screen.
Any thoughts for me?

Last edited:

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
Oboy

R u bricked? Sometimes it could take like 10 minutes on boot with new rom and or recovery. Oooo...... huummmmmm... you may need to install original os3 rom.... the 1st 10th at can be rooted downgrade. Wow I'll look around, and see what I can find..factory reset?

When I try and reboot into the new recovery I just get a black screen. No boot loop or flickering. How long does first boot normally take?

EDIT: So now I've pulled the plug and rebooted that way. I get the old Comic sans Rbox menu that will launch normally but if I choose recovery option on that original menu I again just get a black screen.
Any thoughts for me?

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Good work man!

Sorted!!!

It was 2 different usb sticks. Hadn;tbeen able to push the files for some reason, so had used USB. They didnt seem to work with TWRP. Bizarre.

But all up to day on the newest version now :D

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Can u get into os? Which os? Sounds like u need to reinstall CWM... if your bricked, h t t p://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-unbrick-by-entering-recovery-mode-and-factory-reset-the-amazon-fire-tv/

If you need help load recoverys, rom, downgrades, unlocking, and how tos.. please check out the cat on you tube. .

This bad Larry has a real good grasp on fire TV 1 and 2... read around xda and aftvnews too..

Any thoughts for me?

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
Can u get into recovery?

Took option to reboot.

Help?

If you can get into recovery, write down ip address.. look for side load option.. use pc to adb over to box at ip address..

So you need to (adb connect 192.168.2.345) your boxes ip address..

Next activate side load option on box in recovery..

Pc, (adb sideload filename) filename should list location and file name in pc file system. In this spot I type (adb sideload ) Drag and drop the file into adb window. Easy...

Pc will show file progress, and box will receive and load file, then you will reboot...

All done..

evaporic

Aug 3, 2011
Detroit
Is there a need to flash the stock recovery in order to get rid of twrp/unroot the fire TV 1 and allow it to update itself back to stock? I unblocked updates and they get downloaded but after it reboots twrp blocks the update process.
I am trying to get the device back to stock per buyer's request

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
Recovery

Is there a need to flash the stock recovery in order to get rid of twrp/unroot the fire TV 1 and allow it to update itself back to stock? I unblocked updates and they get downloaded but after it reboots twrp blocks the update process.
I am trying to get the device back to stock per buyer's request

You need to install cwm recovery and load last os3 rom. .. if you can't load rom, you may need to sideload rom from adb...

Reactions: evaporic

evaporic

Aug 3, 2011
Detroit
You need to install cwm recovery and load last os3 rom. .. if you can't load rom, you may need to sideload rom from adb...

I was able to flash CWM, Rbox boot manager and fireos 3 via TWRP
once I was fully on CWM/FireOS 3 I was able to push the the stock recovery via ADB then the updates downloaded automatically until I got to the latest version.
I also found out If you flash the old firmwares you can only register the device with a code from amazon that they send via email.

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
Cool

I was able to flash CWM, Rbox boot manager and fireos 3 via TWRP
once I was fully on CWM/FireOS 3 I was able to push the the stock recovery via ADB then the updates downloaded automatically until I got to the latest version.
I also found out If you flash the old firmwares you can only register the device with a code from amazon that they send via email.

Hope your to the point you want to be.... are you still rooted?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's finally here! TWRP recovery for the Fire TV 1. Most likely, I will not be updating this thread with new releases, as the prerooted ROMs will always contain the latest version. This thread is just here so people on Fire OS 3 can install TWRP and people on rooted but locked bootloader Fire TV 1's can get recovery initially installed.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

Installing this requires root. If you are not rooted, figure that out first.

Installation for Unlocked Bootloader
    1. Make sure you are on a FULLY unlocked bootloader. From within FireOS and after running su run this:
      Code:
      cat /proc/cmdline
      And MAKE SURE unlocked_kernel=true is present! If it is not, you are NOT fully unlocked and you must Fully Unlock first!
    2. Make sure you are on at least 51.1.4.0 ROM and the latest CWM installed.
    3. Copy the bueller-twrp_3.0.0-6.img file to /sdcard
    4. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (are you sure you did step 1?)
      Code:
      dd if=/data/media/0/bueller-twrp_3.0.0-6.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    5. From outside adb shell, reboot to recovery
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    6. TWRP should load, you can install a FireOS5 prerooted ROM now.

Installation for Locked Bootloader
    1. This requires that you are on at least version 5.0.5 and rooted.
    2. Copy the bueller_recovery_vX.zip file to /sdcard
    3. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (replace vX with the actual version you downloaded)
      Code:
      sh /data/media/0/bueller_recovery_vX.zip
    4. Reboot

Notes
    This includes bootmenu. For everyone that loved the old bootmenu with Comic Sans, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the Comic Sans is gone. When the FireTV boots, it will present you with the bootmenu where you can leave it alone and it will boot normally or you can select recovery and it will boot in to recovery. You do need a USB keyboard to interact with the bootmenu. To force it to boot in to Recovery, you can create a file /cache/bootmenu_recovery.

DHCP for Ethernet is enabled, and if there is enough demand I may add in wifi at some point. The IP address should show up in the top left corner.

USB storage and USB keyboard/mice should all work. Hotplugging works, so you should be able to plug and unplug devices as needed.

You can use a USB keyboard, mouse, or the mouse emulator to interact with it. To use a keyboard, you can use the arrow keys to move the cursor and the enter key to select buttons. Sliders don't require sliding, so you can just hit enter/click on them. To use the mouse emulator, use adb shell and then run the program mouse and follow the instructions.

ROMs
    Recovery must be included in all ROMs. If you want to develop a ROM, please contact me about including recovery in it.

Installing zips
    You can push zips to /sdcard, put it on a USB storage, or use adb sideload. Do note you need adb version 1.0.32 to use adb sideload.

Stuck in a loop?
    If you cannot boot normally and keep going back to the bootmenu, wipe Cache from Wipe -> Advanced Wipe.

Source Code
    You can find the source code here:
    https://github.com/androidrbox/firetv-2ndinit
    https://github.com/androidrbox/android_bootable_recovery

WARNINGS

• It is extremely important you never reboot after a failure. This will most likely lead to a brick. If recovery is hung, you can use adb shell to run
      Code:
      killall recovery
      to restart it
    • It is also extremely important to never reboot after wiping /system.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has donated to me.

Changelog and Downloads:
    • July 7, 2016 - v2 (md5sum: 8f65187cb0cbc190a7d64f512ae3ede2)
      • This is the updated version with TWRP 3.0.0-7.
    • July 4, 2016 - TWRP Image 3.0.0-7 (md5sum: cda1a1c1cdd3e25a1caa86f5a5de1eee)
    • May 20, 2016 - v1 (md5sum: 9208d81fd07cff9952de5be33c62f730)
      • This is for use by people who have FireOS5 and are rooted.
      • This includes 2ndinit version a7a48c and TWRP version 3.0.0-6.
    • May 20, 2016 - TWRP Image (md5sum: 5dc83370046e5b50755ddb55fe8424ad)
      • This is for use by people who have FireOS3 and CWM and is TWRP version 3.0.0-6.
    This test image worked for me but my tv is only 720p so the graphics overlap and it is VERY hard to use. Any chance of getting a version with a 720p theme instead?

Ask and ye shall receive... This has the looping fix and a possible 720 fix.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uzvjvjb5ydvyja3/bueller-twrp-test8.img
    Worked great!! Thanks so much for all your hard work!

Okay. Well unfortunately bootmenu will still be jacked up. And I won't have time until next week to make a proper release with all these fixes... but it should keep you guys happy until then.
    I can't imagine why a TV would cause TWRP to crash, but at this point I can't explain it.

New TV did nothing, as you suspected.

I did get it to work though, Here's what I did.
    Reflashed latest CWM
    Full wipe in CWM (Not sure if this was needed?)
    adb shelll WHILE IN CWM and flashed TWRP
    did adb reboot recovery and TWRP loaded, Now I flashed pre-rooted 5.0.5 rom
    To anyone still experiencing the flashing problem and/or anyone who had it fixed with test8:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m84irafe8idoklm/bueller-twrp-test9.img

Hopefully this fixes it?