FireTV 2 Recovery Installer [v3]

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
[size=+2]This only works if you are on a software version BEFORE 5.2.1.0![/size]

This will allow you to install recovery easily whether you are rooted or not. The downloads will be numbered starting at v1, and at the bottom of the post it will explain what is contained within each version.

You must extract the installer zip and a recovery zip to the same directory.

Versions for Linux, OSX, and Windows are included. I have not tested the OSX version. Running it won't cause any damage, so don't be afraid to try it. Please let me know if it works.

After extracting the zips, run the .bat file for Windows or the .sh script for Linux and OSX. Make sure the USB cable is connected and if using Windows your drivers are set up. Then power cycle the firetv and the script should start. It should take about 5 minutes to run.

You must copy the ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma to USB storage or an sdcard. This must be plugged in when you boot after running the script. The one catch is you need to have a USB keyboard plugged in to select Recovery from bootmenu. So either use an sdcard, a usb hub, or unplug the USB storage once the splash screen shows up and plug in a keyboard.

The first thing you should do after booting in to recovery is to install a prerooted rom. This will fully install recovery so you won't need the ramdisk on external storage anymore.

Source Code
You can find the source code here:
https://github.com/androidrbox/mediatek-preloader-tools

NOTE
This method is only for people on 100% stock rom or people who have rooted with the previous method. Once you install recovery with firetv2_recovery zip file or install a prerooted rom, this method will not work.

Thanks to everyone who has donated to me and those that helped to get me my FireTV 2. Thanks to @zeroepoch, without his work, this wouldn't be possible.

Changelog and Downloads:
  • February 9, 2016 - v3 (md5sum: d9432930b8a6d50b6b09c31ef698b209)
    • Fixed the windows bat file
    • Everything else same as last
  • February 8, 2016 - v2 (md5sum: 05ddfdf84d4298eb2935acc02c94b70c)
    • This adds error checking to the .sh and .bat file to make sure all the files exist before attempting to start. (Thanks to @ImCoKeMaN for the idea)
    • This comes with the same version of mediatek_inject.
  • February 6, 2016 - v1 (md5sum: b55c61075607fe5d716355dbd8b03a2c)
    • This comes with mediatek_inject version fa8d8f.

Last edited:

gazdaman.

Jan 22, 2012
Trying this using Ubuntu Virtual Machine on Windows 10 laptop
I get this error:

anthony@ubuntu:~$ '/home/anthony/firetv2recoveryv1/install_firetv2_recovery.sh' Waiting for preloader...
Found port = /dev/ttyACM0
Handshake complete!
Injecting 2ndinit...
/home/anthony/firetv2recoveryv1/install_firetv2_recovery.sh: line 10: ./mediatek_inject.linux: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Injecting 2ndinitstub...
/home/anthony/firetv2recoveryv1/install_firetv2_recovery.sh: line 13: ./mediatek_inject.linux: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Any ideas?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Trying this using Ubuntu Virtual Machine on Windows 10 laptop
I get this error:

anthony@ubuntu:~$ '/home/anthony/firetv2recoveryv1/install_firetv2_recovery.sh' Waiting for preloader...
Found port = /dev/ttyACM0
Handshake complete!
Injecting 2ndinit...
/home/anthony/firetv2recoveryv1/install_firetv2_recovery.sh: line 10: ./mediatek_inject.linux: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Injecting 2ndinitstub...
/home/anthony/firetv2recoveryv1/install_firetv2_recovery.sh: line 13: ./mediatek_inject.linux: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Any ideas?

You're using a 32bit ubuntu I assume? How easy would it be to switch to a 64bit version?

Dude360

Nov 22, 2006
Much appreciated rbox.

Installer worked fine but I ran into the same problems I had with the updated root method on my mates box.

Constant dropouts and having to restart.

Its down to his box though, not any of the processes as they (eventually) work.

This took 2 1/2hrs for this box with roughly 50 restarts.

This is posted just as another reassurance to people having similar issues. Closing the command window, unplugging the box, re-running the script and powering the box back up works fine. It just takes a little more attention and hand holding :)

SO, many thanks rbox !!!

chantelle310

Oct 23, 2014
is anybody else having issues running the .bat file and getting nothing when connecting with USB & powering on? constantly seem to not be able to get pass the stage of waiting for preloader

win 10

go2xraj

Apr 29, 2011
I tried windows 7 X 64 getting mscvr.dll not found error
and tried in linux still in waiting preloaded.

Any help pls

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

i tried in mac it passes hand shake and stops at reading 0000200 0%

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
I tried windows 7 X 64 getting mscvr.dll not found error
and tried in linux still in waiting preloaded.

Any help pls

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

i tried in mac it passes hand shake and stops at reading 0000200 0%

you have all drivers installed and what type of usb cable are you using?

When powered on, does Fire show asadrive on pc when its plugged in?

bubbanc

Mar 1, 2011
This will allow you to install recovery easily whether you are rooted or not. The downloads will be numbered starting at v1, and at the bottom of the post it will explain what is contained within each version.

Versions for Linux, OSX, and Windows are included. I have not tested the OSX version. Running it won't cause any damage, so don't be afraid to try it. Please let me know if it works.

After extracting the zips, run the .bat file for Windows or the .sh script for Linux and OSX. Make sure the USB cable is connected and if using Windows your drivers are set up. Then power cycle the firetv and the script should start. It should take about 5 minutes to run.

You must copy the ramdisk-recovery.cpio to USB storage or an sdcard. This must be plugged in when you boot after running the script. The one catch is you need to have a USB keyboard plugged in to select Recovery from bootmenu. So either use an sdcard, a usb hub, or unplug the USB storage once the splash screen shows up and plug in a keyboard.

The first thing you should do after booting in to recovery is to install a prerooted rom. This will fully install recovery so you won't need the ramdisk on external storage anymore.

Source Code

NOTE
This method is only for people on 100% stock rom or people who have rooted with the previous method. Once you install recovery with firetv2_recovery zip file or install a prerooted rom, this method will not work.

Thanks to everyone who has donated to me and those that helped to get me my FireTV 2. Thanks to @zeroepoch, without his work, this wouldn't be possible.

Changelog and Downloads:
    • This adds error checking to the .sh and .bat file to make sure all the files exist before attempting to start. (Thanks to @ImCoKeMaN for the idea)
Didn't work for me. Installed recovery (what appears successfully) on Windows 7; I did run the install more than once; was running over USB hub and it crapped out once or twice, so removing the USB hub allowed it to complete. Completed all the way to "Press any key to continue". I then plugged into my TV, plugged in the USB drive with the 2 files on it (lzma and pre-rooted zip) and my keyboard into a USB hub. Plugged in power and saw the regular black and white amazon boot logo, then the colored one that said Fire TV. I was (am) on 5.0.4 non-rooted.

Any ideas on how to get this to install?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Didn't work for me. Installed recovery (what appears successfully) on Windows 7; I did run the install more than once; was running over USB hub and it crapped out once or twice, so removing the USB hub allowed it to complete. Completed all the way to "Press any key to continue". I then plugged into my TV, plugged in the USB drive with the 2 files on it (lzma and pre-rooted zip) and my keyboard into a USB hub. Plugged in power and saw the regular black and white amazon boot logo, then the colored one that said Fire TV. I was (am) on 5.0.4 non-rooted.

Any ideas on how to get this to install?

So my first suggestion is to try the guide and/or video linked in the 2nd post. My other suggestion is to try without the hub. I know some can be flaky. The guide in the 2nd post has some tips to deal with not using a hub.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+2]This only works if you are on a software version BEFORE 5.2.1.0![/size]

You must copy the ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma to USB storage or an sdcard. This must be plugged in when you boot after running the script. The one catch is you need to have a USB keyboard plugged in to select Recovery from bootmenu. So either use an sdcard, a usb hub, or unplug the USB storage once the splash screen shows up and plug in a keyboard.

Source Code

NOTE

Changelog and Downloads:
    Awesome work!

For those who need a step-by-step guide with screenshots:
    [GUIDE] How to Root a Fire TV 2 by installing rbox's Pre-Rooted Image

[VIDEO GUIDE]
    md5 = b55c61075607fe5d716355dbd8b03a2c ?

I'm just trying to make sure people are paying attention, haha. Not really. I corrected it.
    You're using a 32bit ubuntu I assume? How easy would it be to switch to a 64bit version?

Yep, Ubuntu 15.10 (32-bit)
    It was the image prepared by someone on this forum, so others may run in to the same problem.

Not sure how hard it is to prepare a 64-bit Ubuntu VM.
    When it's waiting on pre loader, the Fire TV just reboots and doesn't catch the pre loader.
    Maybe a driver issue. which I don't know how to resolve

@AFTVnews.com has an excellent guide: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv-2/