FireTV 2 Recovery Installer [v3]

Search This thread

flyerflar

May 30, 2016
I have tried for days , to root my FireTv2 . Step 3 always remains standing . If it works , is not a boot menu from the USB stick . I have to stick reformatted or replaced. If the ram defect ? Have version 5.0.5.1 . and not root

WhenIWake

May 4, 2013
Successfully rooted and updated to the latest firmware, all services amazon working and have found no issues so far. The recovery is useless on an older TV 1080i or less. Weird screen glitches on boot, worked absolute fine on a newer screen. Thanks for all the work people in this thread have put in, here's the step by step of what I did including commands in case it can help anyone.

References used during this process;
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv-2/
http://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/development/firetv-2-sloane-prerooted-stock-images-t3309783
http://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/orig-development/firetv-2-recovery-installer-t3309785
http://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/development/firetv-2-recovery-t3309780

AFT rev 2 Running 5.0.5.1 brand new from AmazonUK on prime day, USB debugging and debugging over network were both enabled. You need the USB A-A for this firmware version. All carried out on Ubuntu 16.04
Followed the post by rbox

- Download install_firetv2_recovery_v3.zip
- Download firetv2_recovery_v5.zip
- Extract both to same folder
- Plug USB A-A into AFT and computer
- Run install_firetv2_recovery.bat
- Plug in power to AFTV2 and let it flash the recovery.
- When it's done copy ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma and sloane-5.0.5-rooted_r4.zip firmware to a USB or SD card
- Reboot, choose recovery with a keyboard
- Install the 5.0.5.0 firmware

Im running a DD-WRT router so blocked the AFT’s network access before starting the process, unblocked it when I booted it up.
I also set up a DNSmasq and added the following to the additional list to block the amazon servers. I had sadly connected the AFT prior to doing this while trying a web filtering approach which failed, so the device knew there was an update for the firmware. This successfully blocked the services when applied.

address=/amzdigital-a.akamaihd.net/127.0.0.1
address=/amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net/127.0.0.1
address=/softwareupdates.amazon.com/127.0.0.1
address=/updates.amazon.com/127.0.0.1

Commands used in order of flash
Couldn't get the process to start was hanging on “Waiting for preloader” and discovered it was because I did not have the correct version of python installed.

PHP:
sudo apt-get install python3-pip
sudo pip3 install pyserial
pip install --upgrade pip
PHP:
sudo service ModemManager stop
PHP:
cd /home/usr/desktop/AFT

Once I was in the directory I had created and unzipped the above files (recovery v3 and v5)
ran, think these were totally uneccessary but I used them anyway.

PHP:
chmod a+x mediatek_inject.linux 
chmod a+x install_firetv2_recovery.sh
PHP:
sudo ./install_firetv2_recovery.sh
At this point I plugged the power supply into the AFT.

Script ran through with no issues and I pulled the power, moved ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma and sloane-5.0.5-rooted_r4.zip onto a micro SD in the root directory, no sub directories and only have one partition. Install this into the AFT prior to powering on for the first time after the script has ran.
Used a keyboard to select recovery and flashed the rooted 5.0.5.0 firmware.
Rebooted and checked all was well. Instantly started getting a software update promt with a 1 minute timer to “Remind me later” any time I stopped moving the cursor it came up again.
Pulled the power until I decided on the next step.

Pulled the SD and loaded the 5.2.1.0 firmware and rebooted the AFT into recovery and installed the latest version. Booted again and was still getting the update message. I think this is due to me connecting the device up prior to blocking the update servers properly so it already knew there was new firmware.
SSH’d into the AFT, while continuing to move the cursor to prevent an autoupdate.

PHP:
adb shell
PHP:
su
(accept the prompt to grant superuser)
PHP:
pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
PHP:
exit
PHP:
exit

Reactions: zeroepoch

Stylz68

Sep 8, 2011
Unfortunately I'm having an issue trying to install firetv2_recovery_v3.

I'm running windows 10 and have all the drivers installed. Also installed the drivers for the firetv from amazon as well.

It hangs at the following area once I plug the firetv back in.

Waiting for preloader…
Found port = COM7
Handshake complete!
Injecting 2ndinit…
Mediatek Inject, git version fa8d8f
Locating the partition…
Reading 000000200: 0%

Do you guys have any advice at all to get this to work? It's on 5.0.5.1.

Thanks!

zeroepoch

I'm running windows 10 and have all the drivers installed. Also installed the drivers for the firetv from amazon as well.

Waiting for preloader…
Found port = COM7
Handshake complete!
Injecting 2ndinit…
Locating the partition…

Thanks!

Sounds like it's hanging during the serial communication. It happens sometimes. If it doesn't work are a few reboots you might need another computer to try.

Menchelke

Dec 3, 2010
https://youtu.be/XYyR-kCW4aA?t=4m52s

At this point in the video, where you launch the bat file, and preload nothing ever shows up. And my fire TV light blinks orange constantly. I have restarted the script a dozen times, and replugged in the fire TV but I never see it working. Do I need to hunt down a Windows 7 or earlier machine?

I am running Windows 10. I believe everything is fine. I checked md5s, and all that. Thanks.

Menchelke

Dec 3, 2010
https://youtu.be/XYyR-kCW4aA?t=4m52s

At this point in the video, where you launch the bat file, and preload nothing ever shows up. And my fire TV light blinks orange constantly. I have restarted the script a dozen times, and replugged in the fire TV but I never see it working. Do I need to hunt down a Windows 7 or earlier machine?

I am running Windows 10. I believe everything is fine. I checked md5s, and all that. Thanks.

So, my Fire TV booted up fine, but kept flashing constantly, and it was making a popping noise out of the back of my monitor. I swapped out hdmi cables, and rebooted it, and now it's stuck on the "Amazon" logo, and it won't fully boot. I never did get the ROOT to go through.

Anyone that has had success willing to try and fix mine for me if I ship it to you, and how much? Thanks.

playingbball20

Dec 6, 2008
not working for OSX el capitan, but than again the handshake/install never worked for osx el capitan. So no surprise there...

Code:
./install_firetv2_recovery.sh 
Waiting for preloader...
Found port = /dev/cu.usbmodem1420
Handshake complete!
Injecting 2ndinit...
Locating the partition...
Reading 000000200:   0%

always stuck at reading 0%

I'm on Win 10 x64 and getting that too!?! Any suggestions?

otaner14

Dec 16, 2010
Bricked Image After updating to 5.2.1.1.r1

hello

after trying to update rom to 5.2.1.1, my twrp said image failed and now i am stuck
to white amazon logo, and I don't know what to do.
Please if someone can help with any idea I will deeply grateful

AFTV 2 rooted and version 5.2.1.0

please help thanks

fdigl

Jan 11, 2014
EDIT: resolved, forgot that my flash drive was partitioned in NTFS.

Last edited:

Han-Droid

general question:
I'd like to root and install this recovery. While doing so...is it possible to nandroid-backup my existing system? I'm asking because I bought a preconfigured FTV2 and...just in case ....and to be on the safe side, I'd like to "go back" if I want to. So...will rooting AND installing the recovery kill my existing system OR can I nandroid-backup the old system just after rooting/recovery installation?
TIA!

fregatte77

Dec 18, 2016
Injecting stuck at 0%

Waiting for preloader…
Found port = COM7
Handshake complete!
Injecting 2ndinit…
Locating the partition…

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat.

Tried with different Computers and OS (Windows 7 / 10 / Mac OSX Captain).

My Fire TV was on 5.2.2.1 while testing and is now on 5.2.4.0.

Might it be that the rooting via USB does not work in general with this new firmware rel. ?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011

adam_ky

Feb 3, 2014
bricked.. and did this..
went threw the first time no errors. i used an sdcard for the ramdisk.
but nothing happened.. it said finished press any key or such.. so i did.. sd card was in box.. and power cycled... went to amazon white logo and nothing.. wouldnt boot to recovery.
so i tried to install this again.... now i get an error
"source file is larger than target"
Code:
Waiting for preloader...
Found port = COM10
Handshake complete!
Injecting 2ndinit...
Reading 000000200: 100%
Reading 000000400: 100%
Opening the filesystem...
Reading 0058E0400: 100%
Reading 0058E0800: 100%
Locating the target file...
Reading 0058E8C00: 100%
Reading 0058E1000: 100%
Reading 0058E9000: 100%
Reading 0058E5000: 100%
Opening the target file...
error: source file is larger than target file!
Injecting 2ndinitstub...
Reading 000000200: 100%
Reading 000000400: 100%
Opening the filesystem...
Reading 0058E0400: 100%
Reading 0058E0800: 100%
Locating the target file...
Reading 0058E8C00: 100%
Reading 0058E1000: 100%
Reading 0058E9000: 100%
Reading 0058E5000: 100%
Opening the target file...
error: source file is larger than target file!
Press any key to continue . . .

any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+2]This only works if you are on a software version BEFORE 5.2.1.0![/size]

This will allow you to install recovery easily whether you are rooted or not. The downloads will be numbered starting at v1, and at the bottom of the post it will explain what is contained within each version.

You must extract the installer zip and a recovery zip to the same directory.

Versions for Linux, OSX, and Windows are included. I have not tested the OSX version. Running it won't cause any damage, so don't be afraid to try it. Please let me know if it works.

After extracting the zips, run the .bat file for Windows or the .sh script for Linux and OSX. Make sure the USB cable is connected and if using Windows your drivers are set up. Then power cycle the firetv and the script should start. It should take about 5 minutes to run.

You must copy the ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma to USB storage or an sdcard. This must be plugged in when you boot after running the script. The one catch is you need to have a USB keyboard plugged in to select Recovery from bootmenu. So either use an sdcard, a usb hub, or unplug the USB storage once the splash screen shows up and plug in a keyboard.

The first thing you should do after booting in to recovery is to install a prerooted rom. This will fully install recovery so you won't need the ramdisk on external storage anymore.

Source Code
    You can find the source code here:
    https://github.com/androidrbox/mediatek-preloader-tools

NOTE
    This method is only for people on 100% stock rom or people who have rooted with the previous method. Once you install recovery with firetv2_recovery zip file or install a prerooted rom, this method will not work.

Thanks to everyone who has donated to me and those that helped to get me my FireTV 2. Thanks to @zeroepoch, without his work, this wouldn't be possible.

Changelog and Downloads:
    • February 9, 2016 - v3 (md5sum: d9432930b8a6d50b6b09c31ef698b209)
      • Fixed the windows bat file
      • Everything else same as last
    • February 8, 2016 - v2 (md5sum: 05ddfdf84d4298eb2935acc02c94b70c)
      • This adds error checking to the .sh and .bat file to make sure all the files exist before attempting to start. (Thanks to @ImCoKeMaN for the idea)
      • This comes with the same version of mediatek_inject.
    • February 6, 2016 - v1 (md5sum: b55c61075607fe5d716355dbd8b03a2c)
      • This comes with mediatek_inject version fa8d8f.
    Awesome work!

For those who need a step-by-step guide with screenshots:
    [GUIDE] How to Root a Fire TV 2 by installing rbox's Pre-Rooted Image

[VIDEO GUIDE]
    md5 = b55c61075607fe5d716355dbd8b03a2c ?

I'm just trying to make sure people are paying attention, haha. Not really. I corrected it.
    You're using a 32bit ubuntu I assume? How easy would it be to switch to a 64bit version?

Yep, Ubuntu 15.10 (32-bit)
    It was the image prepared by someone on this forum, so others may run in to the same problem.

Not sure how hard it is to prepare a 64-bit Ubuntu VM.
    When it's waiting on pre loader, the Fire TV just reboots and doesn't catch the pre loader.
    Maybe a driver issue. which I don't know how to resolve

@AFTVnews.com has an excellent guide: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv-2/