FireTV 2 (sloane) Prerooted Stock Images [5.2.7.6_r1]

Search This thread

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
@Sus_i Well I've finally got the sloane setuo to unbrick using post #2 and have hit the next roadblock, I'm using Fireiso 2.0, on a laptop, and after typing sudo apt update I get sudo: apt: command not found. What can I do now?
@Sus_i
So finally success. With the help of a digital microscope my 70 yr old eyes could short DAT0 and after ignoring post 2 instructions (apt updates & modemmanager) went to bootrom-step.sh. Unfortunately that didn't work - so after some time I removed the usb hub (connecting FireISO laptop, usb mouse, usb keyboard) and plugged FireISO laptop direct to FTV2 and success loaded twrp 3.3.1-0. Formatted data, wiped cache & dalvik. Reboot created same issue I had with original update of twrp (post 972) with fireos stalling at colored logo. Decided that update-kindle-full_sloane-36.6.6.4_user_664657620.ZIP (Fireos 5.2.7.8) must be corrupt so used boot-recovery.sh back into twrp formatted data, wiped cache & dalvik again then loaded fireos 5.2.7.4 and magisk. Now final success fireos started oobe but now I need to know how to block updates before I can turn on adb.
I read on mantis forum there is a NOFOTA.zip that twrp can load. Can that be used on sloane? Where can I download it. Appreciate your help on the last leg of this long journey.

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Now final success fireos started oobe but now I need to know how to block updates before I can turn on adb.
You can use this guide to skip the update, then use pm disable command to disable all ota apps.

You can use this guide to skip the update, then use pm disable command to disable all ota apps.
@Sus_i I've enabled adb and launched adb shell (as administrator) but when I run pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota I get an Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: attempt to change component state from pid=9891, uid=2000, package uid=32011
How do I overcome the permissions denial

Sometimes though permissions get messed up so make sure you actually have root.
Thanks - so how do I make sure I have root. When I type su nothing happens
C:\adb>adb shell shell@sloane:/ $ su

C:\adb>adb shell shell@sloane:/ $ pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: attempt to change component state from pid=11935, uid=2000, package uid=32011 1|shell@sloane:/ $

@Sus_i @Bertonumber1 Thanks for your replies & help. I think I have an issue with magisk so will reinstall from twrp and try again.
Hi sir,..

I just took for granted that you had unlocked your sloane? Is that the case

Make sure you have given magisk manager permissions in application settings and then try the above command.

The when you run from a terminal.

adb shell
su

you will see the # sign :

sloane#

If not reboot TWRP, push magisk.zip and flash and try again.

Been away but I'm back now if you need some help
. Regards

@Sus_i @Bertonumber1 Well finally at the end of the road. I have successfully blocked updates and can load magisk. FTV sloane working fully.

Now I've learned so much from you guys I'm going to try a firestick 4k (mantis) Am I correct in reading this can be rooted with kamikiri without opening the stick and shorting.? Can you point to the correct guide?
I also understand I need be careful about the update that blows an efuse.

stoger12

Apr 11, 2016
@Sus_i I've enabled adb and launched adb shell (as administrator) but when I run pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota I get an Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: attempt to change component state from pid=9891, uid=2000, package uid=32011
How do I overcome the permissions denial
clear 'data' in the superuser app. you will then get asked again to grant or deny .

zangetsu09x

Mar 31, 2023
Here are prerooted stock images for use with my recovery. Note that these contain addon.d support, so any 3rd party things you install to /system need an addon.d script to be retained between flashes.

Managing Stock Recovery
Starting with 5.0.5_r3, stock recovery gets disabled. This means you cannot reboot in to stock recovery manually or automatically because of a system update. This will make it safer for people who forget to disable updates. You should still disable updates though. If for whatever reason, you want to reenable it, or verify it is disabled, you can use the manage_recovery program. Under normal circumstances, you should never need to use manage_recovery.
  • Connect to adb and start a shell
  • Switch to root with su
  • Run manage_recovery (if you do not run su first, it will seem to run, but won't actually be able to do anything)
    Code:
    manage_recovery

There are 3 different scenarios that manage_recovery will detect and prompt for.

The first is when stock recovery is disabled, it will look like this:
Code:
Checking current stock recovery status... NOT STOCK
Checking for reason... DISABLED
Stock recovery is currently disabled,
Would you like to enable it?
Type 'yes' to enable it, anything else to quit.

The second is when a stock recovery is flashed that does not match the current system version:
Code:
Checking current stock recovery status... NOT STOCK
Checking for reason... WRONG VERSION
Would you like to disable stock recovery?
Type 'yes' to disable it, anything else to quit.

And finally, the third is when stock recovery is enabled and the correct version:
Code:
Checking current stock recovery status... STOCK
Would you like to disable stock recovery?
Type 'yes' to disable it, anything else to quit.

After changing the recovery status, you can run the program again to verify it changed.

WARNING: DO NOT FLASH 5.0.5.1 OR EARLIER IF YOU STARTED WITH VERSION 5.2.1.0 OR LATER

NOTE: If you were at 5.2.6.6 or below, you MUST flash 5.2.6.7 before going to 5.2.6.8 or later.

Changelog and Downloads:
how do i fix this
sdcard # twrp install sloane-5.2.7.6-rooted_r1.zip
Installing zip file '/data/media/0/sloane-5.2.7.6-rooted_r1.zip'
Installing zip file '/data/media/0/sloane-5.2.7.6-rooted_r1.zip'
Checking for Digest file...
Digest matched for '/data/media/0/sloane-5.2.7.6-rooted_r1.zip'.
[amonet] Remove boot patch...
[amonet] OK
Updater process ended with ERROR: 255
[amonet] Install boot patch...
[amonet] OK
[amonet] Install recovery patch...
[amonet] ALREADY_INSTALLED
Error installing zip file '/data/media/0/sloane-5.2.7.6-rooted_r1.zip'
Done processing script file

pls help

theistus

Mar 27, 2010
Hey all, just pulled this out of my closet, was going to give it to a friend. it's already rooted and running one the prerooted stock images (5.2.6.7).

What would be the best way to wipe it? Use twrp to wipe system/cache and reinstall prerooted rom? Or should I use the wipe in the settings menu?

vp187

Feb 9, 2023
i havent use mine in awhile but now when i plug in in, it keep staying at amazon logo...i have 5.2.7.6 installed....can some one help?

Top Liked Posts