FireTV 2 (sloane) Unbrick Image

Search This thread

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
I'm trying to get amazon to replace but they need the DSN.
Unfortunately I fit off ebay unboxed.

Anyone know how to find the DSN on a brick?

If you did an amazon login with this fireTV before, you can find the serial at the amazon website, take a look at your Account -> Digital Services and Device Support -> Manage Devices.

Since this box is most likely vulnerable to the amonet mtk exploid, a hardware unbrick/root solution should be possible, if someone with knowledge and time ports the 2gen FireTVStick root/unbrick solution... and a pad for the CLK line must be found too, don't know wether this pad is known. Maybe someone with a bricked box and a desolderd emmc can trace the clk emmc pad to a reachable pad, point or resistor at the board. With known pins for CLK, CMD, DAT0 etc, an emmc reader should work for unbricking too.

OK, maybe it's to much work (and offtopic, sorry), don't know :D

Reactions: CFKod
If you did an amazon login with this fireTV before, you can find the serial at the amazon website, take a look at your Account -> Digital Services and Device Support -> Manage Devices.

Since this box is most likely vulnerable to the amonet mtk exploid, a hardware unbrick/root solution should be possible, if someone with knowledge and time ports the 2gen FireTVStick root/unbrick solution... and a pad for the CLK line must be found too, don't know wether this pad is known. Maybe someone with a bricked box and a desolderd emmc can trace the clk emmc pad to a reachable pad, point or resistor at the board. With known pins for CLK, CMD, DAT0 etc, an emmc reader should work for unbricking too.

OK, maybe it's to much work (and offtopic, sorry), don't know :D

Haha, well I'll be happy to send mine to someone.
I have a solder iron but no emnc or clue as to most of what you just mentioned lol

diodanny

Jun 11, 2019
My firetv2 has the same symptoms (no hdmi signal, slow flashing white light). I was on a pre-rooted build (5.2.1.1 then 5.2.4.0). I then tried to install 5.0.5, which is when everything got screwed up. Now no hdmi signal and I can't get to TWRP. I am working with the unbrick image, and recovery images. So far no luck in any combination. I will report back if I get it working, please also do the same.

i have the same problem

tech3475

Nov 4, 2013
Thanks for the image, I've sent a few bucks your way for saving me from my stupidity.

The only thing I might suggest is maybe adding to the first post maybe mentioning that those who originally used the USB A-A method and only used your images still have the old preboot and maybe include a script to reflash the boot partition (which was the issue in my case).

I know this is mentioned elsewhere in the forum (although I guessed it), but I could imagine someone missing this information.

Thanks for the image, I've sent a few bucks your way for saving me from my stupidity.

The only thing I might suggest is maybe adding to the first post maybe mentioning that those who originally used the USB A-A method and only used your images still have the old preboot and maybe include a script to reflash the boot partition (which was the issue in my case).

I know this is mentioned elsewhere in the forum (although I guessed it), but I could imagine someone missing this information.

So I have a feeling I was initially stock 5.6.8 or 5.6.9
Used mtksu and in recovery flashed the pre rooted rom but upon flashing the system.img it crashed....

But because I now have the new preloader... It hangs when trying to flash anything at 0.00200000%

Can I not flash the boot.img which would have been on my fire tv 2?

tech3475

Nov 4, 2013
So I have a feeling I was initially stock 5.6.8 or 5.6.9
Used mtksu and in recovery flashed the pre rooted rom but upon flashing the system.img it crashed....

But because I now have the new preloader... It hangs when trying to flash anything at 0.00200000%

Can I not flash the boot.img which would have been on my fire tv 2?

I'm no expert, but probably not.

AFAIK the newer preloader blocks NAND access, at least for what 'we' want, so you wouldn't be able to write a new boot partition/downgrade the preloader.

Reactions: CFKod

tech3475

Nov 4, 2013
Amazon get kicks out of bricks, bunch of pricks. Why ??
I

Considering that they hate rooting to begin with, it's not too surprising.

What I don't get is why more companies don't include recovery modes since even OFW updates can cause bricks, similar to the iPhone or the 3DS/Switch.

Considering that they hate rooting to begin with, it's not too surprising.

What I don't get is why more companies don't include recovery modes since even OFW updates can cause bricks, similar to the iPhone or the 3DS/Switch.

They are probably happy to just replace. No way will these be under warranty now.. I'll still see what they can do for me

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Yes got it from here. Cheers... Not sure what they will actually do for me... I'll see tomorrow

bodomalo

Aug 23, 2019
This thread is extrem longe to read, 22 pages

IS the solution from page 1 from 2016 still working?
Can someone unbrick a Fire TV box 2nd generation (its in a boot loope) - system is not changed, it just crashed and has a hdmi problem now (does not show anything, only the white amazon logo)

mtidmarsh

Mar 4, 2009
To help save my sanity, I wondered if someone may be able to confirm something for me and perhaps either stop me from wasting my time or point me in the right direction?

My (Sloane) rooted Fire TV 2 is no longer booting, it just freezes on the white Amazon logo and is unresponsive.
I have attempted numerous times to follow the steps in this post, but to no avail, despite trying on three different pc's.

When I run the 'unbrick_firetv2.bat' file, it just stops at "Waiting for preloader..."

I don't know whether this is because the FireTV doesn't have USB Debugging enabled (even though it hasn't booted that far) or if perhaps because the drivers are incorrect, or if it's just because it's totally goosed.
I am running Windows 10 and have installed the MT6577 drivers.
When I connect the Fire to the PC, it recognises is as MTP USB Device under 'Portable Devices' rather than either FireTV, or ADB device. Can someone tell me whether this is in fact the problem? (in MTP mode and not ADB) or should that work fine and it is another problem?

If I start the ADB server and look for devices, it doesn't find any.

I have tried to removing the MT6577 drivers and installing the Universal ADB driver but when I connect the Fire TV, it still shows up at MTP USB Device.

I'm going round in circles and not sure whether it's just driver related, or whether it really is the device and I just need to give in and get over it!

Thanks,
Matt

tech3475

Nov 4, 2013
To help save my sanity, I wondered if someone may be able to confirm something for me and perhaps either stop me from wasting my time or point me in the right direction?

My (Sloane) rooted Fire TV 2 is no longer booting, it just freezes on the white Amazon logo and is unresponsive.
I have attempted numerous times to follow the steps in this post, but to no avail, despite trying on three different pc's.

When I run the 'unbrick_firetv2.bat' file, it just stops at "Waiting for preloader..."

I don't know whether this is because the FireTV doesn't have USB Debugging enabled (even though it hasn't booted that far) or if perhaps because the drivers are incorrect, or if it's just because it's totally goosed.
I am running Windows 10 and have installed the MT6577 drivers.
When I connect the Fire to the PC, it recognises is as MTP USB Device under 'Portable Devices' rather than either FireTV, or ADB device. Can someone tell me whether this is in fact the problem? (in MTP mode and not ADB) or should that work fine and it is another problem?

If I start the ADB server and look for devices, it doesn't find any.

I have tried to removing the MT6577 drivers and installing the Universal ADB driver but when I connect the Fire TV, it still shows up at MTP USB Device.

I'm going round in circles and not sure whether it's just driver related, or whether it really is the device and I just need to give in and get over it!

Thanks,
Matt

The Preloader is completely different to ADB and runs before Android, so it wont matter.

To be clear you're running the bat file, plugged in the Fire TV via USB and only then turning on the Fire TV?

Also, bear in mind this will only work if you have an older versions of the preloader, in my case I originally hacked via the preloader method and only ever used rbox's ROMs.

mtidmarsh

Mar 4, 2009
The Preloader is completely different to ADB and runs before Android, so it wont matter.

To be clear you're running the bat file, plugged in the Fire TV via USB and only then turning on the Fire TV?

Also, bear in mind this will only work if you have an older versions of the preloader, in my case I originally hacked via the preloader method and only ever used rbox's ROMs.

Thanks for the quick response.
So the fact that I cannot connect via ADB is completely unrelated then as it wouldn't have got this far in the boot cycle...

Yes that's exactly the order I'm doing unfortunately.

Do you know whether there is anything else I can try, or an alternative method? (is there a working method for a later preloader in case this is the issue?)

Thanks,
Matt

tech3475

Nov 4, 2013
Thanks for the quick response.
So the fact that I cannot connect via ADB is completely unrelated then as it wouldn't have got this far in the boot cycle...

Yes that's exactly the order I'm doing unfortunately.

Do you know whether there is anything else I can try, or an alternative method? (is there a working method for a later preloader in case this is the issue?)

Thanks,
Matt

Reading earlier posts from when mine was semi-bricked, the error a newer preloader produces is that it wont write to NAND.

IIRC, if you successfully enter preloader mode you shouldn't see the Amazon logo.

Do you hear the 'connect' sound on your computer when you plug device into your computer and turn it on? Has the A-A cable worked with other devices?

AFAIK, the only other method is a hardmod which I think someone else posted on this site.

mtidmarsh

Mar 4, 2009
Reading earlier posts from when mine was semi-bricked, the error a newer preloader produces is that it wont write to NAND.

IIRC, if you successfully enter preloader mode you shouldn't see the Amazon logo.

Do you hear the 'connect' sound on your computer when you plug device into your computer and turn it on? Has the A-A cable worked with other devices?

AFAIK, the only other method is a hardmod which I think someone else posted on this site.

Yes I do hear the 'connect' sound from the computer when I turn on the Fire TV.
I think this the cable that I have successfully used previously (it's USB3 - that won't make any difference will it?)

I have just tried it on a laptop (same cable) and I have got slightly further (but not much!), I now get to this point:

Waiting for preloader...
Found port = COM4
Handshake complete!
Flashing unbrick image unbrick.img...
Mediatek Inject, git version fa8d8f
Locating the partition...
Reading 000000200: 0%

But it sits at 0% and doesn't progress. I have the lzma and recovery images on FAT32 formatted SDCard in the FireTV.

Not sure if the above proves anything more or gives anything else to try?

Thanks again for your help...
Matt

Last edited:

tech3475

Nov 4, 2013
Yes I do hear the 'connect' sound from the computer when I turn on the Fire TV.
I think this the cable that I have successfully used previously (it's USB3 - that won't make any difference will it?)

I have just tried it on my work laptop (same cable) and I have got slightly further (but not much!), I now get to this point:

Waiting for preloader...
Found port = COM4
Handshake complete!
Flashing unbrick image unbrick.img...
Mediatek Inject, git version fa8d8f
Locating the partition...
Reading 000000200: 0%

But it sits at 0% and doesn't progress. I have the lzma and recovery images on FAT32 formatted SDCard in the FireTV.

Not sure if the above proves anything more or gives anything else to try?

Thanks again for your help...
Matt

Try the slower method, but if that doesn't work then AFAIK it likely means you have the newer preloader which blocks this.

Unfortunately there's no other method I'm aware of besides a hardmod as of now.

Reactions: Kramar111

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will help you unbrick a bricked FireTV 2. You must download the following:

Extract all 3 zip files to the same directory.

You must decide if you want to use unbrick.img or unbrick+ramdisk.img. Using unbrick.img, it should take about 30 minutes. Using unbrick+ramdisk.img it could take up to 2 hours. You can only use unbrick.img if you have an sdcard. If you have an sdcard, place ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma in the root directory of it.

Run unbrick_firetv2.bat for Windows or unbrick_firetv2.sh for Linux or OSX.

First, it will ask you which file you want to use, unbrick.img or unbrick+ramdisk.img. You must type the name of the image you want to use.

Make sure the USB cable is connected and turn on the FireTV 2.

Then it will start reading from the FireTV. Then it will prompt you with a warning:

Code:
    No target file specified.  Is this a partition image?
    If this is not, DO NOT CONTINUE, otherwise press 'y' to continue.
    Write partition image? <y|n>

Type a 'y' and hit enter.

It should start writing. Eventually it will finish. If you put the ramdisk on the sdcard, make sure it is plugged in and power cycle the Fire TV. It should skip the bootmenu and take you straight to recovery. If for some reason the USB keyboard doesn't work, unplug and replug it. It should start working.
    I am in a boot loop. Goes to amazon white logo. Light on FireTV2 turns orange then reboots into custom recovery but it automatically starts trying to mount partitions (one of them is cache) and it fails on all of them. Then moves along to the white amazon screen again and repeats the entire process. I ran the unbrick.img and the problem persists.

I'm currently in the process of running unbrick+recovery.img method to see if it makes any difference. Should it? Is there anything that I may be overlooking?

I'm fairly sure that the reason this happened is from checking ALL the check boxes in the format/wipe section of the custom recovery. After that these issues happened. Does that mean permabrick?

That's odd.... what do you mean it automatically starts trying to mount the partitions and fails? Where does TWRP show that? If you are getting the orange light it sounds like maybe you wiped your boot partition and it's not actually going to TWRP but stock recovery?

Extract the boot.img from the prerooted ROM and place it in the directory with the unbrick files. Run handshake and reboot to get it to handshake, then run this:

Code:
    mediatek_inject firetv2 YOURCOMPORT boot.img /boot -

Replacing YOURCOMPORT with whatever handshake said your comport was. That should rewrite the boot image.
    When going into advanced wipe after running those 2 commands. I included an attachment with the error updates.

UPDATE: So after reading "/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/cache is apparently in use by the system; will not make a filesystem here!" I figured I should try to wipe system. It worked! So then I tried to wipe data and cache. They both worked! I'm not sure if that means I'm home free but the errors are gone. I haven't rebooted yet though.

Well try to reboot and see what happens.
    After using your cache.img the FireTV booted to TeamWIN. I selected Advanced Wipe ticked the cache and data then clicked the swipe bar in the bottom right to start the process. The picture shown is what happened next. I was still in the boot menu though. So I did it again received the same errors and clicked reboot. It warned me that I don't have an OS. Now I'm in the same boot loop again.

I'm currently running your cache.img to get out of the boot loop again.

Any other ideas for me to try?

Connect via adb shell and run these 2 commands:

Code:
    mke2fs /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/userdata
    mke2fs /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/cache
    Okay, I followed those instructions. Here is the updated errors. They're similar but different.

You're getting that after doing advanced wipe AND rebooting? That's not right...