FireTV Boot Menu 1.0

Search This thread

bradwatson

Apr 4, 2011
Does anyone experiencing the issue of getting hung at the rbox bootloader screen have an external HDD plugged in? I was having this issue and found out that it was due to my new external HDD being plugged into my unpowered USB hub. I unplugged the USB hub, plugged the HDD directly into the Fire TV, and now the Fire TV is booting normally again. I guess I'll have to get a powered USB hub. Some have reported issues, I'll try to find one that people have reported to work.

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
Does anyone experiencing the issue of getting hung at the rbox bootloader screen have an external HDD plugged in? I was having this issue and found out that it was due to my new external HDD being plugged into my unpowered USB hub. I unplugged the USB hub, plugged the HDD directly into the Fire TV, and now the Fire TV is booting normally again. I guess I'll have to get a powered USB hub. Some have reported issues, I'll try to find one that people have reported to work.

Missed your post but maybe that's a good thing since you might've figure something out.
Couple of weeks back I downgraded from 51.1.1.4.1 w boot menu to try to fix Netflix issues.
Afterwards my aftv booted to snow/static screen then hung on Amazon fire logo. Like you I noticed unplugging the hdd made it boot normally. I don't have a powered hub on that aftv but even plugging it directly into the usb port doesn't work. The hdd does work but you need to boot up first before plugging it in.
We're you by any chance able to resolve this? You say a powered hub works for you? But you didn't report the ominous static that mine displays before hanging.

n2outlaw

Aug 28, 2007
Missed your post but maybe that's a good thing since you might've figure something out.
Couple of weeks back I downgraded from 51.1.1.4.1 w boot menu to try to fix Netflix issues.
Afterwards my aftv booted to snow/static screen then hung on Amazon fire logo. Like you I noticed unplugging the hdd made it boot normally. I don't have a powered hub on that aftv but even plugging it directly into the usb port doesn't work. The hdd does work but you need to boot up first before plugging it in.
We're you by any chance able to resolve this? You say a powered hub works for you? But you didn't report the ominous static that mine displays before hanging.

I was just able to ask or buy a new powered hub because mine hangs as well on the white amazon logo too. I have to unplug the power from the hub (hub still works as non-powered hub) and the plug it back in but because of this. I didn't know if the hub is being powered from the AFTV or from outlet. I don't know how to test.

Amazon Fire TV Setup:
Kodi 14.1
Boot Menu 1.0
Recovery: firetv-cwm_recovery-6.0.5.1.4a.img
Custom Firmware: bueller-51.1.4.1_514013920-rooted+fixed.zip

Also:
1. Is it possible to use a non-powered hub with a powered HDD (2TB) ?
2. Can we use a power hub with a non-powered portable HDD?

Last:
What is your setup? (brand etc.)

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
I was just able to ask or buy a new powered hub because mine hangs as well on the white amazon logo too. I have to unplug the power from the hub (hub still works as non-powered hub) and the plug it back in but because of this. I didn't know if the hub is being powered from the AFTV or from outlet. I don't know how to test.

Amazon Fire TV Setup:
Kodi 14.1
Boot Menu 1.0
Recovery: firetv-cwm_recovery-6.0.5.1.4a.img
Custom Firmware: bueller-51.1.4.1_514013920-rooted+fixed.zip

Also:
1. Is it possible to use a non-powered hub with a powered HDD (2TB) ?
2. Can we use a power hub with a non-powered portable HDD?

Last:
What is your setup? (brand etc.)
Well in this situation I'm the guy with more questions than answers lol.
But right now I'm not using a powered hub or anything on the aftv in question. My other aftv has a powered hub because my hdd is unpowered. From what I read a powered hdd should work with unpowered hub. On the aftv here I was using a unpowered hub and a flash drive with a keyboard & mouse on the hub. It was working fine. Flash drives don't seem to need an external power source.
I could test my powered hub on this but it's a mess of wires and it'd just be to test. Not keeping it in bedroom. What I really want to do is factory reset and flash the newer firmware but since it's a short list of people reporting this issue I'm waiting for reassurances everything should be ok. Been waiting awhile but the aftv runs fine otherwise so I'll wait longer.

n2outlaw

Aug 28, 2007
Well in this situation I'm the guy with more questions than answers lol.
But right now I'm not using a powered hub or anything on the aftv in question. My other aftv has a powered hub because my hdd is unpowered. From what I read a powered hdd should work with unpowered hub. On the aftv here I was using a unpowered hub and a flash drive with a keyboard & mouse on the hub. It was working fine. Flash drives don't seem to need an external power source.
I could test my powered hub on this but it's a mess of wires and it'd just be to test. Not keeping it in bedroom. What I really want to do is factory reset and flash the newer firmware but since it's a short list of people reporting this issue I'm waiting for reassurances everything should be ok. Been waiting awhile but the aftv runs fine otherwise so I'll wait longer.

I guess I should be asking rbox about all this. Hopefully he'll answer

Last edited:

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I guess I should be asking rbox about all this. Hopefully he'll answer

Certain things plugged in to it will cause it to stick in the bootloader. Like if you plug it in to a computer, or certain combinations of hubs and hard drives. Nothing you can do about that.

n2outlaw

Aug 28, 2007
Certain things plugged in to it will cause it to stick in the bootloader. Like if you plug it in to a computer, or certain combinations of hubs and hard drives. Nothing you can do about that.

Thanks for all the hard work and quit reply!!

Can you tell me your setup (brand and all) and I'll just buy the same things. Like if you have a working powered hub that boots up with no problems and HDD recommendation I'm all ears.

And maybe by the bootloader being fully unlocked well see lot of new things :)

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for all the hard work and quit reply!!

Can you tell me your setup (brand and all) and I'll just buy the same things. Like if you have a working powered hub that boots up with no problems and HDD recommendation I'm all ears.

And maybe by the bootloader being fully unlocked well see lot of new things :)

I only have a FLIRC plugged in to my fire tv.

metapy

Oct 5, 2011
so looks like I bricked mine. I see how I did this. I right clicked the link and hit save on the img file rather than left clicking and downloading from the mega site. This ended up being only 89k but of course I didnt check. The actual file is 6megs.

Anyways after running thru the commands I am stuck on the amazon boot screen. Is there anything that can be done or is this a complete loss? Sucks I just spent an hour or so doing all this stuff only to brick it right at the end. Grr
Thanks

Well it is a few months late, but I did the EXACT same thing. I was so caught up in the upgrade I skipped a MD5 check, my fault and was stuck at the white Amazon logo. Well THANKFULLY I had run a full bootloader unlock and not the partial unlock. I used fastboot to flash the bootmenu.img and I was back in business.

So if anyone else makes the same mistake, here is the fix to restore the bootmenu.img if you flashed a corrupt copy and completed the full bootloader unlock.

Connect the Amazon FireTV to your computer with a USB A to A cable, I ended up cutting two USB cables and splicing them together to get my A to A cable.
Power on the FireTV with the USB connected.
Run the following command: fastboot flash boot boot.img
boot.img is the md5 verified bootmenu.img from FireTV Boot Menu by rbox.
UNPLUG the USB cable and reboot and you'll be back to normal.

Thanks to r3pwn for the corrections.

Last edited:

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
Lakeland, FL
r3pwn.com
(.......)
I used fastboot to flash the bootloader and I was back in business.
(.......)
boot.img is the md5 verified bootloader
(.......)

Not to be "that guy", but I would like to point out (better to clarify things earlier rather than later, especially with something this serious) that "boot" is not the bootloaders, but rather the kernel (AKA "boot image"). The bootloader and the boot image are two entirely different things. Attempting to flash a boot image to the bootloader will result in a permanent brick. As where attempting to flash a bootloader to the boot partition will only result in an unhappy bootloader (as long as the device is unlocked, you should be able to recover by flashing a proper boot image). All of your commands above are correct, just some of the terminology is not. Again, this wasn't intended to criticize you in any way, I just wanted to help you by clearing things up. :)

Reactions: metapy

metapy

Oct 5, 2011
r3pwn thank you! I had run through the complete process as I rooted and stopped upgrades many months ago and was far behind. I left you credit so your post still makes sense and again thanks for the heads up, the point of the write-up was to share the solution I found. I figured if someone else is ever in the same boat a quick fix confirmation will be reassuring.

Reactions: r3pwn

bpugliese

Jul 17, 2011
I made a mistake last night while trying to push the boot menu rom. Now I read the messages again and noticed an error:
I was following this guide: http://www.aftvnews.com/start/ and got to this step without problems:
With your Fire TV running pre-rooted version 51.1.4.0_514006420 and BusyBox, follow my guide to install the kernel boot menu. You can start with step 5 since steps 1-4 are just making sure your Fire TV has the necessary prerequisites, which this starters guide has already covered.

then when following this guide: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-a-kernel-boot-menu-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/
I got the error.

That's my CMD output:
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\pugbr01>cd "c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platf
orm-tools"

c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb connect
already connected to 192.168.0.8:5555

c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push bu
eller-51.1.4.0.zip /sdcard/
799 KB/s (468180019 bytes in 571.857s)

c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb reboot
recovery
^C
c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb connect
connected to 192.168.0.8:5555

c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb install
 com.estrongs.android.pop.apk
1168 KB/s (4800346 bytes in 4.010s)
/sbin/sh: pm: not found

^C
c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb install
error: device not found
- waiting for device -
^C

1220 KB/s (4800346 bytes in 3.841s)
        pkg: /data/local/tmp/com.estrongs.android.pop.apk
Success

c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push ro
m.zip /sdcard/
1116 KB/s (468180019 bytes in 409.516s)

c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
[email protected]:/ $ /system/xbin/busybox md5sum /sdcard/rom.zip
/system/xbin/busybox md5sum /sdcard/rom.zip
b1b48348cb56c0b83a3affc9fd06e07e  /sdcard/rom.zip
[email protected]:/ $ exit
exit

c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push bo
otmenu.zip /sdcard/
1196 KB/s (460104059 bytes in 375.409s)

c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push la
stupdate.zip /sdcard/
1179 KB/s (460487586 bytes in 381.129s)

already connected to 192.168.0.8:5555

[email protected]:/ $ /system/xbin/busybox md5sum /sdcard/bootmenu.zip
/system/xbin/busybox md5sum /sdcard/bootmenu.zip
4429327daeed0df852731d81fa9b1f54  /sdcard/bootmenu.zip
[email protected]:/ $ /system/xbin/busybox md5sum /sdcard/lastupdate.zip
/system/xbin/busybox md5sum /sdcard/lastupdate.zip
f54cec620785b04d1fcd5a660b9a79ff  /sdcard/lastupdate.zip
exit

recovery
^C

~ # killall recovery
killall recovery
~ # exit
^C

recovery
^C

^C

[email protected]:/ $ su
su
[email protected]:/ # mount -o remount,rw /system
mount -o remount,rw /system
[email protected]:/ # mkdir /system/boot
mkdir /system/boot
[email protected]:/ # /system/xbin/busybox md5sum /sdcard/bootmenu.img
/system/xbin/busybox md5sum /sdcard/bootmenu.img
sh: /system/xbin/busybox: not found
127|[email protected]:/ # /system/xbin/busybox md5sum /sdcard/bootmenu.img
/system/xbin/busybox md5sum /sdcard/bootmenu.img
4429327daeed0df852731d81fa9b1f54  /sdcard/bootmenu.img
[email protected]:/ # mount -o remount,rw /system
[email protected]:/ # dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot of=/system/bo
ot/boot.img
dcc.1/by-name/boot of=/system/boot/boot.img                                   <
20480+0 records in
20480+0 records out
10485760 bytes transferred in 0.401 secs (26149027 bytes/sec)
[email protected]:/ # mount -o remount,ro /system
mount -o remount,ro /system
[email protected]:/ # dd if=/sdcard/bootmenu.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by
-name/boot
dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot                                    <
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot: write error: No space left on devic
e
20481+0 records in
20480+0 records out
10485760 bytes transferred in 1.307 secs (8022769 bytes/sec)
1|[email protected]:/ # rm -f /sdcard/bootmenu.img
rm -f /sdcard/bootmenu.img
[email protected]:/ # exit
exit
exit

^C
^C
c:\Users\pugbr01\Downloads\Amazon Fire Tv\android-sdk\platform-tools>

The system gets stuck on amazon white initial logo and starts blinking orange light

Is there anyway I can still salvage this?
I have unlocked bootloader and CWM installed already. I tried to plug and old usb keyboard but it didn't seem to work, I will buy a cheap one to try again. Are there other options?
Can I somehow connect an ethernet cable directly from my pc to it and try to adb? (if yes, can someone guide me on how to do it?)

Thanks for anyone who can help

salsichad2

Well it is a few months late, but I did the EXACT same thing. I was so caught up in the upgrade I skipped a MD5 check, my fault and was stuck at the white Amazon logo. Well THANKFULLY I had run a full bootloader unlock and not the partial unlock. I used fastboot to flash the bootmenu.img and I was back in business.

So if anyone else makes the same mistake, here is the fix to restore the bootmenu.img if you flashed a corrupt copy and completed the full bootloader unlock.

Connect the Amazon FireTV to your computer with a USB A to A cable, I ended up cutting two USB cables and splicing them together to get my A to A cable.
Power on the FireTV with the USB connected.
boot.img is the md5 verified bootmenu.img from FireTV Boot Menu by rbox.
UNPLUG the USB cable and reboot and you'll be back to normal.

Thanks to r3pwn for the corrections.

I'm stuck in the amazon white logo too. I don't think I have a full bootloader unlock.

Is there anything else I can do?

Code:
[email protected]:~/Downloads$ sudo fastboot flash boot firetv-bootmenu-1.0.img
sending 'boot' (6582 KB)...
OKAY [  0.209s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: flashing not allowed for locked hw)
finished. total time: 0.215s

ashmanmb

Mar 20, 2011
followed the guides at aftvnews and am fully updated with root and boot menu and cam as guides showed.

Only issue is that I cannot select anything on the rbox menu when booting.

It won't let me arrow down using the keyboard.

I have tried a few different keyboards, two wireless and one wired and same thing.

keyboards work fine in cam

any ideas. not that it matters as I really only need to be on latest firmware with root but would be nice to know if something is not right...

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
followed the guides at aftvnews and am fully updated with root and boot menu and cam as guides showed.

Only issue is that I cannot select anything on the rbox menu when booting.

It won't let me arrow down using the keyboard.

I have tried a few different keyboards, two wireless and one wired and same thing.

keyboards work fine in cam

any ideas. not that it matters as I really only need to be on latest firmware with root but would be nice to know if something is not right...

I just tried it to see (because ive never actually used it before) and it worked with my usb keyboard.
The likelihood is you wont need to use the bootmenu. Unless theres something on the horizon i haven't heard of yet? But if somethings wrong Id suspect its your keyboards, eventhough i know you said they work in cwm.

mj360

Jul 14, 2012
hi. when i get to the mkdir /system/boot part it say mkdir /system/boot mkdir failed for /system/boot fire tv file exists ? can you help me with this ?

toysoldier1

Jan 30, 2012
Stuck

Hello,

Noob here....I am currently stuck on the last command. The other commands go thru fine but the last command gives me a error about the file not found. Should just stay on the safe CSW and call it a day before I brick it? What are the benefits of upgrading further?

The FTV is rooted and the boot loader is fully rooted as well. Box busy box and clockwork are installed.

dd if=/sdcard/bootmenu.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a boot menu that will allow you to select if you want to boot a kernel or reboot in to recovery. I highly recommend everyone install this so you always have a way to boot in to recovery in case of problems. Just like recovery, it will sit at a black screen for an abnormal amount of time before showing. It's something like 20 seconds. But once it shows, you will have 5 seconds to make a selection. It defaults to booting the kernel, but you can use the up down keys to change the selection. Once it hits 0, it will do whatever option is selected. You can also hit enter and it will do that right away.

Right now, this is a very rough version 1.0. I plan to add some more features to it and would like to hear feedback from people to see what they think about it.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV. Of course, this requires root and unlock.

Installation

Install CWM version 6.0.5.1.4 or higher. You MUST VERIFY CWM is at least 6.0.5.1.4 and it works BEFORE proceeding. You WILL BRICK your Fire TV if you are not properly unlocked, and verifying 6.0.5.1.4 or higher is working will do that.

For the following instructions, replace bootmenu.img with whatever filename you downloaded from this post, for example firetv-bootmenu-1.0.img. Copy bootmenu.img to /sdcard (via adb or whatever). Then from adb shell run this: DO NOT COPY PASTE THE WHOLE THING, DO EACH COMMAND ONE AT A TIME.

Code:
    su
    mkdir /system/boot
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot of=/system/boot/boot.img
    mount -o remount,ro /system
    dd if=/sdcard/bootmenu.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot

Once you have verified it is working, you can replace /system/boot/boot.img with whatever kernel you want. Whether it be the overclocked kernel, or a Fedora kernel, or something else. And you never have to worry about bricking or getting back in to recovery.

Notes

Flashing anything that updates boot.img will cause you to loose bootmenu support. All pre-rooted roms 51.1.4.0 and lower will do this. Anything past 51.1.4.0 will only support booting their kernels through this method. When flashing 51.1.4.0 or lower when using bootmenu, you must repeat the entire bootmenu installation procedure because those roms will overwrite the bootmenu.

Changelog and Downloads:

• Nov 15, 2014 - 1.0 (md5sum: a8a3c28baafe43f354d92e6cc8b392d3)
    @rbox - is it safe if I am going to format /system partition in the recovery and will I going to lose the boot.img? I was going to re-install the latest pre-rooted rom. Just wanted make sure before I do it. Thanks

PS. I already installed the boot menu.

You should *NEVER* format /system. There is never any reason to do that.
    Thanks a lot rbox. This works as described though I am not sure at this point what to do with it. I just installed it as you said it would be useful :)

My main goal with it was to always be able to get to recovery. Secondary goal is to easily use alternate kernels without risk of not being able to get back to recovery. Which really gets back to the main goal. A side effect is that people can load fedora kernels easy without having to screw around with their partitions.
    That's very much correct. I think I'm going to make all my future prerooted images put their boot.img in /system/boot and not flash it to the boot partition.
    Thanks for your quick reply. Glad I'm on the same page .. I'm working on a custom ROM and was thinking that was something i would address the same way but then thought for a sec maybe you had moded the newer cwm to just do that instead of flashing the boot.img.

EDIT
    might want to put some more thought into doing that for the newer pre-roots as someone may flash back to an older one then flash forward and screw themselves.. maybe include some sort of checking in cwm? And maybe include a warning in the OP if they flash any pre-root they loose the safetynet of the bootmenu.img until applied again.
    One tiny suggestion: Change the wording in your post "When flashing 51.1.4.0 or lower when using bootmenu, you must reflash bootmenu." to "When flashing 51.1.4.0 or lower when using bootmenu, you must repeat the entire bootmenu installation procedure."

The reason: After setting up bootmenu on my test device, I realized it was on 51.1.3.0 when I thought it was on 51.1.4.0. I installed 51.1.4.0 then re-read your note to "reflash bootmenu". I thought "ah simple, i'll just re-run the last dd step since everything is still in place." Of course, I forgot that installing 51.1.4.0 wiped out /system/boot/boot.img so when I put bootmenu in place I no longer had a stock boot image on the box. It was a simple fix (I just used bootmenu to get into recovery and reinstalled 51.1.4.0), but probably best to be explicit with the above sentence.