• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

FireTV Stick (FTVS) Root & Firmware Updates

cre8er

Aug 13, 2009
I'm seeing multiple references to rooted sticks, but no guides.
I'm guessing those that have done it are coming from the FireTV original.

Who has successfully rooted the FireTV Stick?
What Firmware was device successfully rooted with?
Can Android OS be changed to a different ROM?

I have 2 that I got on the $19 promotion and don't want to plug them in if there is a chance I can root first.

Reactions: eb4k3d

collindv

Jun 28, 2007

I have 2 that I got on the $19 promotion and don't want to plug them in if there is a chance I can root first.
Nobody. The firetv stick cannot be rooted currently on any firmware. Standard fire tv's could be rooted as of 1 or two firmware revisions ago.

Edit - looks like there might be a potential hardware root referenced here:

http://www.gtvhacker.com/index.php/Amazon_Fire_TV_Stick​

They had something similar posted for the original fire tv but noone has been able to reproduce it to my knowledge.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mastafunk

Aug 31, 2011
Undisclosed Swamp Location, FL
Nobody. The firetv stick cannot be rooted currently on any firmware. Standard fire tv's could be rooted as of 1 or two firmware revisions ago.

Edit - looks like there might be a potential hardware root referenced here:

http://www.gtvhacker.com/index.php/Amazon_Fire_TV_Stick​

They had something similar posted for the original fire tv but noone has been able to reproduce it to my knowledge.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Someone should OUT those gtvhacker guys, they are always "first" with these sorts of "news" items , but often its made up and they cant even give directions to reproduce.

cr6

Sep 27, 2010
Hard to imagine this thing isn't rootable. There is a section in the FireStick settings that allow you to enter ADB commands.

S5 tap'n

Reactions: Pietplezier

jpeg42

Jul 22, 2010
Oregon
I used the fire tv guide and rooted my Fire stick just fine. I have kodi on it as we speak. You dont plug it into the computer. You plug it into the tv and get the IP address and install everything via wifi
You don't need root to install Kodi. How do you know you are rooted?

Calibaan

Jan 23, 2014
lostech.bplaced.net
Although ADB is often used for rooting other devices it does not mean there is root on the stick. The KODI installation guides refer to "ADB sideloading" and this has nothing to do with root. I assume this is a missunderstanding by Desertio.

Desertio

Sep 11, 2011
Houston, TX
I do understand the difference however I did misspeak. I apologize. I was taking about fire TV whilst posting about the stick. Again. I apologize

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

JerseyBooch

Aug 14, 2015
No More Rooting Amazon Fire's for now.

Say again? Which guide?

New Fire TV 51.1.6.2 & Fire TV Stick 54.1.2.2 software updates released (Root Blocked as of August 2015).

I have rooted many many units. I can't figure out these new units yet though. It's like the Apple TV 3 all over again. Crap !

Reactions: wejgomi
Feb 27, 2011

Thx for your thread. Sadly pirates take your thread for its own topics :)

I wanna go back to your first post.
For about 3 weeks I hardware-root the EMMC of a FireTV-Stick.
Difficult but possible :DI root succesfull the stock firmware: 54.1.1.0_user_110031420

My sources for the solder points where gtv-hacker or now known as exploiteers:
&
From here.

Two importand facts, I dont know before:

• You dont have to connect the stick with usb-power to get access to the nand!
  • The ground (gnd) solder point should go from the marked-gnd-point to the hdmi/usb shield to the gnd-point on your board. 1 hole wire is good.
&

&
Here is Video, when fully-connected:
And the console when conected: (command: mount | under lubuntu 14 | all the sda's are from the stick)

All as gallery. (THX imgur!)

What I would like to find out with your help, before I root the next device or somebody, would be to find out what is the newest hardware-rootable stock firmware from amazon, where I should update, before making a hardware-root.
Because at the moment there is no pre-Rooted rom's like, like builded from rbox or realbbb for the Fire-TV-Box-1. Also there is no unlocked-bootloader or custom recovery.

I like the hardware from the stick for that prices! And the software is getting better and better.
Sadly I had some problems with rbox x-posed modules, see here. (Got muted kodi, when enabled)

So theese are my informations about rooing an fire tv stick.

Greetings by I_did_it_just_tmrrow

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone