[Firmware] EMUI 8.1 / 9.0 Flash, Root and Downgrade Guide (L29C432/L29C636)

Search This thread

silverstream

Sep 24, 2009
Use the attached one.

1. Boot in to TWRP
2. Wipe > Format data (beware that you will loose all your data)
3. Hit the home button in TWRP and reboot to recovery
4. Copy RemoveEncryption-P20Pro.zip and flash it
5. Hit the home button in TWRP and reboot to recovery
6. Wipe > Format data
7. Hit the home button in TWRP and reboot to recovery
8. All set done. Now you can copy any files that you want to flash (i.e EMUI 9.0 and HuRUpdater 04 etc)

Hope it helps.

Thinking of doing this decryption. However my question is, after I decrypt, and when I flash the next firmware update, will my data get encrypted again?

smohanv

Nov 5, 2006
Higham, Rochester, Kent
Thinking of doing this decryption. However my question is, after I decrypt, and when I flash the next firmware update, will my data get encrypted again?

This issue is only with EMUI 9.0. There is no new EMUI 9.0 after the version dated 03/12/2018 hence I haven't tried to confirm if it will encrypt data again.

If you have tried, please share the results here. Thanks.

silverstream

Sep 24, 2009
I have updated OP made it easy too.

Please try. You don't have to worry about decrypting, if your purpose of decrypting is to magisk root your device.

Thanks. My whole purpose of wanting to decrypt is to get an ad-free host file into the phone, and not to achieve root.

After reading your new instructions:
"If you reboot your device normally, it boots in to non-rooted ROM."

Thinking further, maybe I can boot into Root mode and edit my host file, then boot normally without root.

[UPDATE] Achieved what I needed, root the phone, install Adaway, and now I can boot in non-Root state!!!! BEST OF BOTH WORLD!

Last edited:

smohanv

Nov 5, 2006
Higham, Rochester, Kent
Thanks. My whole purpose of wanting to decrypt is to get an ad-free host file into the phone, and not to achieve root.

After reading your new instructions:
"If you reboot your device normally, it boots in to non-rooted ROM."

Thinking further, maybe I can boot into Root mode and edit my host file, then boot normally without root.

[UPDATE] Achieved what I needed, root the phone, install Adaway, and now I can boot in non-Root state!!!! BEST OF BOTH WORLD!

Well done. I was about to reply with the same solution that you found yourself.

Reactions: silverstream

tomcruisader

Jan 3, 2011
Thank you, it worked perfectly !
Updated from Oreo 8.1.0.161 (C432) with unlocked bootloader and no root. No play store certification (no google pay)

I did follow the guide and now have latest Emui 9 with unlocked bootloader, root access and google play certification (google pay is working now!). Keeping all my data of course!

silverstream

Sep 24, 2009
@smohanv Noticed you've updated the title. Just want to let you know, you instruction works on C636 too. You might want to update OP so others are aware it works on other models as well

harkis123

Oct 22, 2012
After installing EMUI 9 ( .163 build) and trying to root i'm facing a problem.
After the Magisk window pops up "Requires Additional Setup" or just by refreshing it I get a message "Setup Failed"
The exact build is: v18.1-1df65940 maybe it's repo fault? Before that I was on EMUI 8 (Magisk rooted too)

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
After installing EMUI 9 ( .163 build) and trying to root i'm facing a problem.
After the Magisk window pops up "Requires Additional Setup" or just by refreshing it I get a message "Setup Failed"
The exact build is: v18.1-1df65940 maybe it's repo fault? Before that I was on EMUI 8 (Magisk rooted too)

am on same magisk build.

might be just a bad patching, try repatch your recovery ramdisk

Reactions: harkis123

Special <K>

Oct 8, 2010
ReRooting on EMUI 9.0 worked, thank you!

Somehow after rebooting with Vol+ it booted to eRecovery, hitting reboot with Vol+ again finally worked.

silverstream

Sep 24, 2009
Recieved a small 3mb patch for nfc and text. Did anyone applied it successfully without flashing back original recovery?

Update : Small patch applied without booting into recovery

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to FLASH EMUI 8.1 / 9.0 including latest single base versions (build 197+)

Your device must have the following
    1. Bootloader should be unlocked (if you have not already unlocked bootloader, there are paid services available)
    2. Enable USB debugging in Settings > Developer options > USB debugging
    3. Remove Fingerprint ID, Face lock and Lock screen password. This is very very important otherwise your device will be soft bricked

Firmware Download:
    You can download ROM version that you want (EMUI 8.1 / 9.0) from this LINK

If you do not see latest EMUI 9.0 firmwares, use the links below,
    EMUI 9.0 Build 204
    EMUI 9.0 build 236
    EMUI 9.0 build 241
    EMUI 9.0 build 243
    EMUI 9.0 build 251

Do not try to update to build 241 straight from EMUI 8.0. It will brick your device and you will end up with black screen. Update to build 195 and then update to any later builds.

Files that you will be downloading are,
    >> Upto build 195
    update.zip
    update_full_CLT-L29_hw_eu.zip

>> After build 197 or later
    update_full_base.zip

Preparation:
    a. Download this Flash tool and extract to your PC
    b. Copy downloaded Firmware files to ZIPS-HERE folder (you can find this folder where you have extracted Flash tool

How to flash Firmware
    1. Double click to run the file cmd-here.exe. It opens command prompt in the same folder where you are.
    2. Once command prompt opens, type FLASH_two_files.bat if you have multiple Firmware files (2 files) or FLASH_full_base.bat if you have single base file from latest EMUI 9.0. Follow steps carefully. Once flashing is complete, it will boot normally.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS METHOD OF FLASHING DO NOT WIPE DATA and all the installed apps will be intact. But you will loose ROOT. You have root again.

How to ROOT EMUI 8.1 / EMUI 9.0
    For EMUI 8.1:
    1. Download this TWRP and flash it in fastboot mode
    2. Download Magisk from this LINK
    3. Flash in TWRP (using the command fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk images/twrp.img). twrp.img is already in the Flash tool that you downloaded.

For EMUI 9.0: Thanks to @ArtaxXP for the findings and the post is here LINK
    1. Pre-patch images you need for different version are below. You will be patching this file yourself with magisk canary version.
    RECOVERY_RAMDIS_163.img
    RECOVERY_RAMDIS_195.img

RECOVERY_RAMDIS_9.0_204.img
    RECOVERY_RAMDIS_9.0_236.img
    RECOVERY_RAMDIS_9.0_241.img
    RECOVERY_RAMDIS_9.0_243.img
    RECOVERY_RAMDIS_9.0_251.img

and copy this img to your device (these recovery_ramdisk file extracted from respective EMUI firmware UPDATE.APP)
    2. Download and Install latest magisk manager
    3. Open Magisk manager, go to settings > update channel > Custom and use the link below
    4. Go back to magisk manager default page and refresh (pull down). Install the latest magisk manager version when prompted. Now open magisk manager after installing the updated version and again pull down to refresh
    5. Now you will be asked to download and flash the latest magisk version. Click on Install and when the next window comes choose "patch only the boot.img" option. Choose the image file that you have downloaded from the link in step 1 above
    6. Wait until patching is complete. The patched image will be found in Download folder in your device. Copy this patched_boot.img to your PC in the same folder where you have extracted the Flash tool you used to flash the ROM
    7. Reboot device to fastboot mode and flash patched_boot.img using
    fastboot command ===> fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk patched_boot.img
    8. Now issue command fastboot reboot. Quickly unplug USB cable and hold vol-up button. Now your device will be booted in to rooted ROM

Careful Note:
    If you reboot your device normally, it boots in to non-rooted ROM.

To boot to rooted ROM, hold vol-up button until Huawei Logo appears while booting.

IF YOU HAVE PATCHED WITH LATEST MAGISK CANARY BUILD 18.2+, THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO HOLD VOL UP BUTTON WHEN REBOOTING. JUST POWER YOUR DEVICE NORMALLY AND IT BOOTS IN TO ROOTED ROM

How to DOWNGRADE from EMUI 9.0 to EMUI 8.1 for ROOTED EMUI
    1. Remove fingerpring, disable screenlock & password and app lock in Settings / Security & privacy. If you miss this step your device will be soft bricked.

2. Download from here / extract yourself EMUI 9.0 recovery_ramdisk from UPDATE.APP
    RECOVERY_RAMDIS_195.img (EMUI 9.0 release 11.01.2019)

3. Flash this RECOVERY_RAMDIS_195.img in fastboot and restart your device normally.
    Your device may boot in to eRecovery. Switch off and restart in to fastboot and flash this RECOVERY_RAMDIS_195.img again in fastboot

4. Folllow the steps explained in How to Flash section.

How to DOWNGRADE from EMUI 9.0 to EMUI 8.1 for Non-ROOTED EMUI
    Folllow the steps explained in How to Flash section.

GENERAL TWEAKS
    AdGuard DNS:
    You can read here what is DNS and the goodies of changins it https://www.maketecheasier.com/best-alternate-dns-services/

If anyone wants to change DNS AdGuard which stops ads in browsing. Flash it in magisk. I have done two versions. Default version blocks ads but allows browsing explicit sites and Family Protection block every ads and also explicit contents.
    Files attached are,
    AdGuard_DNS_(Default).v0.zip
    AdGuard_DNS_(Family_Protection).v0.zip

Removal of Apps via ADB command:
    If anyone wants to remove bloatware (that you may consider bloat) follow the steps below,
    Note: This command doesn't remove the app altogether from your device. It removes the app from the default user 0. To get the apps back, just factory reset your device.
    1. Download and unzip ADB files [Link]
    2. Make sure that you have enabled USB debugging from Settings / System / Developers options [google search and find how to enable Developer option]
    3. Connect your phone to your PC. Go to the folder where you have extracted the file downloaded from step 1 above
    4. Double click to run the file cmd-here.exe. It opens command prompt in the same folder where you are
    5. Run the command, adb shell
    6. Now you can start debloating the apps that you want to (see commands below)
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.youtube [YouTube]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.egg [Easter Egg]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.gameassistant [Playstore Game]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.appmarket [Huawei App market]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.chrome [Google Chrome]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.docs [
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.tachyon [Duo]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.email [Stock email]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gm [Gmail]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.videos [Google Play Videos]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.music [Google Music]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.health [Huawei Health app]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.phoneservice [HiCare customer service app]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.soundrecorder [Stock sound recorder]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.hifolder [App Advisor]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.mediacenter [Huawei Music app]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.himovie.overseas [Huawei Video player]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.videoeditor [Huawei video editor]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.aod [Always on display]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.dreams.basic [Daydream]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.calculator2 [stock calculator]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.system [Facebook App Installer]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.appmanager [Facebook App manager]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.services [Facebook Services]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.android.FloatTasks [Navigation dock]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.livewallpaper.paradise [Paradise Wallpaper]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.android.thememanager [Themes]

If anyone find more debloats please share in this thread

Few debloats submitted by @moonshiner
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.search
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.hwid
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.hitouch
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.hidisk [files explorer]
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.compass
    Hi @smohanv

i managed to update my C636 P20 Pro to .201 using the new full base .zip

procedure was changed, it's easier now though. You might want to update the OP (or make it sectional, split between old method and new method)

Here's the method :
    Pre-Requisites : ROOT

1. Download EMUI Flasher from HERE (courtesy of @OldDroid) - Dont worry, the app is clean and clean
    2. Download the Latest Approved Update_full_base.zip of your phone model from FF
    3. Open the App, choose the firmware zip you already download. If the app prompt to install some assets, approve it, it need to re-install stock recovery back.
    4. Ignore the second firmware file option
    5. Tap the "Flash Button" on the bottom right corner
    6. Wait till phone boot to recovery, flashing update and finish.
    7. Optional - Re-ROOT using your patched recovery ramdisk
    Hi @smohanv

i managed to update my C636 P20 Pro to .201 using the new full base .zip

procedure was changed, it's easier now though. You might want to update the OP (or make it sectional, split between old method and new method)

Here's the method :
    Pre-Requisites : ROOT

1. Download EMUI Flasher from HERE (courtesy of @OldDroid) - Dont worry, the app is clean and clean
    2. Download the Latest Approved Update_full_base.zip of your phone model from FF
    3. Open the App, choose the firmware zip you already download. If the app prompt to install some assets, approve it, it need to re-install stock recovery back.
    4. Ignore the second firmware file option
    5. Tap the "Flash Button" on the bottom right corner
    6. Wait till phone boot to recovery, flashing update and finish.
    7. Optional - Re-ROOT using your patched recovery ramdisk

Just a little note: EMUIFlasher can be used also with unapproved firmwares.

Regards
    i should open an application thread to provide exact infos.
    The app has been programmed to work with EMUI8 AND EMUI9.

Regards
    Is debranding necessary to flash this ROM? I'm on CLT-L04 8.1.0.109(C792), been learning Huawei's intricacies but still not understanding the debranding thing and keep hearing it tossed around. Are the ROMs themselves region locked or something?

Yes you do. You need to debrand.. Search for the thread in this Forum. You have to debrand to C432. Check your version from settings.