• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Firmware fails to install

Search This thread

SNEEED

Oct 27, 2021
So friend gave me his old ("verizon" unlocked) g960u (G960USQS9FUG2) I was attempting to install the g960u1 firmware onto it.
I don't see what ive done wrong exact, since its failing in odin. Despite the phone itself being fussy, ive seen people on here install g960u1 firmware onto so.

Steps taken
-Toggle usb debugging
-downloaded oden latest.
-downloaded samsung usb drivers
-downloaded G960U1UES9FUG2 firmware
-enter download mode
-input firmware files into odin
-start

<ID:0/008> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/008> File analysis..
<ID:0/008> Total Binary size: 6988 M
<ID:0/008> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/008> Can't open the serial(COM) port.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Could it be the firmware type I downloaded? or did I simply over look something or what?

Last edited:

spawnlives

Jan 27, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S9
Firmware is ok. Assuming you using patch odin to flash firmware.
Failing at setup connection may be try some suggestion here

Also disconnect and connect phone after each attempt

SNEEED

Oct 27, 2021
Also disconnect and connect phone after each attempt
Odd connecting it initially would prompt it to come up in odin normally, everything is fine, but reconnecting it while in download mode prompts me with windows screaming at me. Unless you meant reconnect and boot into download mode once again.
But yes ive been trying different versions of odin in adminmode and no luck with that, all stops at stepupconnection
If I really cant get this to work I might just sell this phone lol

Attachments

• h5454.png
    h5454.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

spawnlives

Jan 27, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S9
You may have to try a different computer if you've try some of the other methods mention before

I did have problems on my laptop in failing to connect with odin, but was a few years ago and can't remember how i fixed it.

You can try installing this but no guarantee it will work.

and maybe this as well but probably not needed

Also i do haves a few visual c++ files from microsoft on my pc which some programs seem to need to run properly. Will need to check.

SNEEED

Oct 27, 2021
You may have to try a different computer if you've try some of the other methods mention before

I did have problems on my laptop in failing to connect with odin, but was a few years ago and can't remember how i fixed it.

You can try installing this but no guarantee it will work.

and maybe this as well but probably not needed

Also i do haves a few visual c++ files from microsoft on my pc which some programs seem to need to run properly. Will need to check.
Yeah I don't have another computer sadly would if I could get my hands on a second gpu lol
and no doesn't seem to make any difference

SNEEED

Oct 27, 2021
Progress update
Borrowed a craptop from a friend, the firmware im using seems to not progress and stays at file analysis. I tried an older firmware for the hell of it which progresses more and stops at "Complete(Write) operation failed." im not too sure whats going on now.

edit: I got it working I guess I just assumed it wasn't working since it didnt act right away I was a bit impatient. Gave it 10mins and it started going.

Last edited: