• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Firmware for Carplay AI Boxes (Qualcomm/Rockchip/Allwinner) Android 7/9

What should the perfect carplay box look like or have?

• Floating Button

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • NavigationBar (with Autohide possibility)

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Floating Button + NavigationBar (with Autohide possibility)

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Widgets

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Deleteable Icons

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Functioning Accessibility Service

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Root Accesss

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Better Audio Quality and no lags

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Recent Apps Button (for the CP)

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Possibilty to Autoupdate Firmware

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

PitelHZX

Jun 11, 2021
Can anyone confirm that the audio lag issues have been solved in the latest firmware of the Qualcomm box? According to the seller these should be fixed by now...
There is no audio lag problem with the Qualcomm ApplePie box.
My car is Skoda Karoq and everything is normal.
I am very pleased that this box actually has a 4G network and can be inserted into a SIM card, so there is no need to use annoying hotspot sharing methods.

Attachments

• Skoda Karoq.jpg
    Skoda Karoq.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
LG G3
Audio lag/cutting out is still present on this firmware.
Same Here. If you compare the Updates to each Other on File Basis, you recogize, that the system is basically still the Same over the Versions. Only the preinstalled App package Changes. If someone is willing to root the system and risk His Hardware, i will fix this audio issue myself. I also siffed through the Logs that are written to SD and from my Point of View the Problem lies in the CPU govenour and also poor use If RAM Management. The Problem from Car to Car are depending in the Audiocodec and also the screen Resolution the Car handels Out with the box. Just changing the Resolution, makes a significant Impact on how the audio Lage are produced. The system has plenty of Power hardwarewise and nowhere near its limits yet, compared to the allwinners.

Last edited:

Gonipower

Apr 27, 2009
Qualcomm BOX: With TomTom Navigation during directions, we did not turn the music volume down a bit, as with CP41.
So you can't really hear the navigation system.
Can someone please help me as I solve the problem?
My car is Seat Ateca 8/2018 the good thing is the BOX works great with GPS from the car.

May 27, 2021
Qualcomm BOX: With TomTom Navigation during directions, we did not turn the music volume down a bit, as with CP41.
So you can't really hear the navigation system.
Can someone please help me as I solve the problem?
My car is Seat Ateca 8/2018 the good thing is the BOX works great with GPS from the car.
The complete sound logic should be that the FM sound of the original car must be mixed with the navigation sound of the box to be played; the navigation sound of the CaPlay AI box must be able to lower the box’s own media sound. There can be many types of sound. In the final analysis, it is how various apps get the focus of the sound.

The Qualcomm ApplePie box I used, I tested carefully, and the sound logic is relatively complete. For this, I want to give it a thumbs up.

The problem you encountered is actually how the system knows that this app is a navigation app. Their usual practice is to make a whitelist and register the package name of the navigation app in this whitelist, so that the system knows that these apps are For navigation apps, when their sound comes, they need to mix with the original car's FM, or lower the box's own media sound. But this whitelist will never be so complete, it just contains many commonly used navigation apps.

If you find that the navigation app you are using does not have such sound logic, it is most likely because it is not in the whitelist.

The Qualcomm ApplePie box provides a way to allow you to temporarily add an APP to this whitelist. It's in settings->ApplePie Settings.

Navigation app setup: Allows you to specify an APP to join our navigation software whitelist, and the system handles the sound type of this APP in accordance with the navigation software.

Attachments

• 27.png
    27.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 37
May 27, 2021
Same Here. If you compare the Updates to each Other on File Basis, you recogize, that the system is basically still the Same over the Versions. Only the preinstalled App package Changes. If someone is willing to root the system and risk His Hardware, i will fix this audio issue myself. I also siffed through the Logs that are written to SD and from my Point of View the Problem lies in the CPU govenour and also poor use If RAM Management. The Problem from Car to Car are depending in the Audiocodec and also the screen Resolution the Car handels Out with the box. Just changing the Resolution, makes a significant Impact on how the audio Lage are produced. The system has plenty of Power hardwarewise and nowhere near its limits yet, compared to the allwinners.

I don't think it has much to do with memory management. The Android system's own memory management mechanism is actually very complete, and most developers will not change this one. In addition, Qualcomm must provide ODM or OEM manufacturers with the most complete underlying code support. The possibility of optimization on the basis of Qualcomm is much lower than that of allwinner, because the standardization and robustness of the codes of manufacturers such as allwinner are undoubtedly several levels worse than Qualcomm. I think that the manufacturer of the Qualcomm ApplePie box is very smart. It has found a very mature and risk-free processor platform, which has greatly accelerated the product maturity cycle.

gallanh

Jun 13, 2021
I bought a CP600, So far, the audio & video sync , particularly on youtube, the the audio is bit ahead of the video or lip movement. very obvious.
Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there any solution?

Gonipower

Apr 27, 2009
The complete sound logic should be that the FM sound of the original car must be mixed with the navigation sound of the box to be played; the navigation sound of the CaPlay AI box must be able to lower the box’s own media sound. There can be many types of sound. In the final analysis, it is how various apps get the focus of the sound.

The Qualcomm ApplePie box I used, I tested carefully, and the sound logic is relatively complete. For this, I want to give it a thumbs up.

The problem you encountered is actually how the system knows that this app is a navigation app. Their usual practice is to make a whitelist and register the package name of the navigation app in this whitelist, so that the system knows that these apps are For navigation apps, when their sound comes, they need to mix with the original car's FM, or lower the box's own media sound. But this whitelist will never be so complete, it just contains many commonly used navigation apps.

If you find that the navigation app you are using does not have such sound logic, it is most likely because it is not in the whitelist.

The Qualcomm ApplePie box provides a way to allow you to temporarily add an APP to this whitelist. It's in settings->ApplePie Settings.

Navigation app setup: Allows you to specify an APP to join our navigation software whitelist, and the system handles the sound type of this APP in accordance with the navigation software.
Thanks for your answer.
I have the problem when I listen to BT music, the music is not quiet when navigation voice instructions are spoken and so you cannot hear anything that sat nav has spoken on TomTom GO. With Sygic there are no voice instructions at all. When I listen to the car radio that works well, the radio goes down quietly and you can hear GPS voice instructions.
Please help I tried the setting for the Navigation APP in ApplePie but it doesn't work.
🙏🙏🙏

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
LG G3
I don't think it has much to do with memory management. The Android system's own memory management mechanism is actually very complete, and most developers will not change this one. In addition, Qualcomm must provide ODM or OEM manufacturers with the most complete underlying code support. The possibility of optimization on the basis of Qualcomm is much lower than that of allwinner, because the standardization and robustness of the codes of manufacturers such as allwinner are undoubtedly several levels worse than Qualcomm. I think that the manufacturer of the Qualcomm ApplePie box is very smart. It has found a very mature and risk-free processor platform, which has greatly accelerated the product maturity cycle.
I came to the conclusion just because of the following reason. After boot i have no audio lags at all for the first 3-5minutes if i just start the musicapp and do nothting. If i switch apps or some task in the background starts e.g. Playstoreupdates, the sound lags are starting to kick in. I monitored the CPU/RAM usage while this happens and the memory is just fine, but the cores of the qualcomm-chip are doing not so intelligent things, that maybe related to the audioproblems. it maybe a mixed problem, that starts with apps something writing to the internalmemory which triggers abnormal behaviour of the cores.

I came to the conclusion just because of the following reason. After boot i have no audio lags at all for the first 3-5minutes if i just start the musicapp and do nothting. If i switch apps or some task in the background starts e.g. Playstoreupdates, the sound lags are starting to kick in. I monitored the CPU/RAM usage while this happens and the memory is just fine, but the cores of the qualcomm-chip are doing not so intelligent things, that maybe related to the audioproblems. it maybe a mixed problem, that starts with apps something writing to the internalmemory which triggers abnormal behaviour of the cores.
I can confirm that there is no issue during the first 5 minutes or so once ApplePie has booted up. Sound lags after this duration.

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
LG G3
There is no audio lag problem with the Qualcomm ApplePie box.
My car is Skoda Karoq and everything is normal.
I am very pleased that this box actually has a 4G network and can be inserted into a SIM card, so there is no need to use annoying hotspot sharing methods.
Lucky you :) What version of firmware do you have and what kind of Columbus Version?

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
LG G3
I can confirm that there is no issue during the first 5 minutes or so once ApplePie has booted up. Sound lags after this duration.
I forget to add, that it might be a thermal problem related to core usage. i noticed that the box gets warm after this period and this might be a trigger that core frequency drops which leads to the lags. i have some spare time left i will open the box and try to cool it with a fan. the temperature itself is not hot, but there might be a hotspot somewhere on the cooling chip. with root i could of course investigate better. if the cooling helps, i will investigate on the distribution of thermal paste, if this used at all. i would not be the first time, that something from china is not well made :)

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
LG G3
If you wondered what the ApplePieBox looks from inside. On the lefs there is button proably for resetting the device. Even ram and the qualcomm chip is shieled, which is a good thing, but also a bad thing im terms of cooling and checking this :). But the box is well made in it´s design and layout i have to say.

ApplePieBox_Inside1.jpg

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
LG G3

tag2xter

Jun 15, 2021
When my car was using CP600, the voice and video were out of sync, and the buttons on the steering wheel could not fully respond. After I switched to ApplePie, this problem disappeared. I haven't encountered the sound lag problem you mentioned. I have used it for up to 3 hours, listening to songs and watching videos. BTW, my car is Golf 2018.

tomdot

Mar 23, 2007
Latest 21053119 cp600 OS is really much faster than my 210127 by several orders of magnitude in my Volvo. It's also the first time i've seen the box user more than 1.1GB RAM (highest I saw was 1.6GB from multitasking between Google Maps, Vanced, and Spotify.

Google maps is much more usable now and Vanced YouTube has never had audio sync issues. Love it, thank you for sharing.

Strangely I've lose the BT music icon!? Least of my issues

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

New 07-31-2021 firmware for QM8888/UX999:

There is a new version (20210703) of the ApplePie firmware (for the Android 9 Qualcomm box). Got it from the seller on AliExpress:

Learn about some update details of the 20210703 version. Share with everyone.

Added support for some models, such as Mercedes S-Class.
    The user can turn off the "insert TF card, automatically copy log" function. An option is made in ApplePie Settings.
    Support one-key split screen.
    New update 07-26-2021 for QM8888/UX999:

can I get the steps again on how to apply the firmware update on the Qm8888 apple pie box?

I tried the general steps at the start of this thread but my qm8888 just boots up as per normal
    How to upgrade the firmware for ApplePie:

Obtain the firmware upgrade package, the file named "update.zip", the file size is about 1.35G, copy update.zip to the TF card (directly in the root directory, no need to build a folder), no need to decompress, Then insert the upgrade card. The upgrade card does not have to be a blank card, and it does not have to be an upgrade file, that is, the TF card you use every day can be used as an upgrade card.

The system detects that there is an upgrade file in the card, a pop-up window will ask whether to upgrade, immediately (within 20 seconds) click the "Cancel" button to cancel the upgrade operation, please pull out the upgrade card; if you click "OK" or do nothing ( Wait 20 seconds for the timeout", the system will enter the upgrade operation.

First, copy the upgrade file to the internal storage space. The copy progress will go from 0% to 100%. After the copy is completed, the system will pop up a window prompting that it will automatically restart. At this point, you can observe the red indicator light of the box. When it starts to flash, you can already pull out the upgrade card. The remaining steps will be completed automatically. You just need to wait to enter the ApplePie interface again.

The entire upgrade process takes about 10 minutes.

Note: It is best not to power off during the upgrade process, and do not pull out the TF card during the process of copying the upgrade file to the internal memory. Of course, if the above situation occurs, ApplePie will not be damaged, and it will work normally after restarting. It's just that your upgrade process was cancelled this time, and the normal upgrade cannot be completed.
    20210715 ApplePie Firmware:

There is a new version (20210703) of the ApplePie firmware (for the Android 9 Qualcomm box). Got it from the seller on AliExpress:

New update 07-26-2021 for QM8888/UX999:

Learn about some update details of the 20210703 version. Share with everyone.

Added support for some models, such as Mercedes S-Class.
    The user can turn off the "insert TF card, automatically copy log" function. An option is made in ApplePie Settings.
    Support one-key split screen.
    new update for qualcomm applepie from 09-06-2021

I got the 10-6-2021 version for Qualcomm Applepie Box:

New update for qualcomm dated 19-05-2021 I have not yet been able to test it thoroughly

IMG_20210519_171215.jpg

IMG_20210519_171315__01.jpg

Link to Drive:

Finally got my Qualcomm today!!