firmware.mobi

Search This thread

R1050

Jan 25, 2014
Root SM-G935F

Greetings ashyx !
First of all, and sincerely, i admire people like you! That are devoted in helping other people, and expecting always nothing in return (already donated when rooted my S3, and now i will donate again)
I bought a S7 edge 2 years ago, but now (as i did with my S3) i would like to root it. But i am undecided because i´m afraid losing everything, and i like the phone just as it is...although rootless, and backup less and annoying for that fact. And i just want root, and TWRP recovery. Slight changes, great potential!
Therefore, i´ve been reading, and from what i read , should it be possible to make full nandroid backup, by flashing TWRP? And since i read what you post about cf autoroot got discontinued, i therefore would like to use magisk to root. But want to do that if only i will be able to make full nandroid backup! So if all goes well, after flashing TWRP, and make a backup, i will have to flash no-opt-verity, to disable kernel encryption, and then use magisk to root. And then will make a restore of nandroid backup. And my other question is if after doing the restore, i will not lose root? My firmware buid is: "R16NW.G935FXXS4ESC1" (if this help). Correct me if i wrote something above that is misleading, and sorry for my english (I´m from Portugal)
Thank you, and keep the AWESOMEEEE work!!

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Greetings ashyx !
First of all, and sincerely, i admire people like you! That are devoted in helping other people, and expecting always nothing in return (already donated when rooted my S3, and now i will donate again)
I bought a S7 edge 2 years ago, but now (as i did with my S3) i would like to root it. But i am undecided because i´m afraid losing everything, and i like the phone just as it is...although rootless, and backup less and annoying for that fact. And i just want root, and TWRP recovery. Slight changes, great potential!
Therefore, i´ve been reading, and from what i read , should it be possible to make full nandroid backup, by flashing TWRP? And since i read what you post about cf autoroot got discontinued, i therefore would like to use magisk to root. But want to do that if only i will be able to make full nandroid backup! So if all goes well, after flashing TWRP, and make a backup, i will have to flash no-opt-verity, to disable kernel encryption, and then use magisk to root. And then will make a restore of nandroid backup. And my other question is if after doing the restore, i will not lose root? My firmware buid is: "R16NW.G935FXXS4ESC1" (if this help). Correct me if i wrote something above that is misleading, and sorry for my english (I´m from Portugal)
Thank you, and keep the AWESOMEEEE work!!
Anyone who wants to modify their device in any way should be making a full device backup with twrp or other means before undertaking such modifications.
Only fools skip this step and usually cometo regret not taking that few minutes extra to make that all important backup.
As long as you make that backup you should be fine.
Even though its unlikely to be lost, it's up to you to backup your important data.

Not sure why you need to do a restore after installing Magisk though?
Magisk itself should take care of dm-verity, if not then you will have to install the no_verity zip.

Just ensure you are OEM UNLOCKED before flashing anything.

Last edited:

R1050

Jan 25, 2014
Anyone who wants to modify their device in any way should be making a full device backup with twrp or other means before undertaking such modifications.
Only fools skip this step and usually cometo regret not taking that few minutes extra to make that all important backup.
As long as you make that backup you should be fine.
Even though its unlikely to be lost, it's up to you to backup your important data.

Not sure why you need to do a restore after installing Magisk though?
Magisk itself should take care of dm-verity, if not then you will have to install the no_verity zip.

Just ensure you are OEM UNLOCKED before flashing anything.

Thank you for your instructions! But... Are you saying that during the root process i will not lose my data? That would be awesome! I thought that when a root was made, we had to format or wipe data, or Magisk would automatically wipe them during the root process. Therefore i would have to restore what had been wiped. That was what i thought. Is this correct?

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Thank you for your instructions! But... Are you saying that during the root process i will not lose my data? That would be awesome! I thought that when a root was made, we had to format or wipe data, or Magisk would automatically wipe them during the root process. Therefore i would have to restore what had been wiped. That was what i thought. Is this correct?
Magisk won't touch your data or wipe anything at all. All it does is modify the boot image and place a few files on the data partition.
All you need to worry about is dmverity.
If Magisk doesn't patch it and the device doesn't boot then use the dmverity zip.
However that doesn't mean skip the backup. ;)

R1050

Jan 25, 2014
Magisk won't touch your data or wipe anything at all. All it does is modify the boot image and place a few files on the data partition.
All you need to worry about is dmverity.
If Magisk doesn't patch it and the device doesn't boot then use the dmverity zip.
However that doesn't mean skip the backup. ;)

Got it ashyx! Backup is the first and main priority! Just for beeing able to backup the entire device without root, is fenomenal!! Thanks to you, and all the team who spend so much precious time developing such a great recovery project, just to make people happy! :good::good: That in the first place was the thing that was annoying me the most!! Since i got the device, i never made a backup!! Crazyyyyy, i know :) All the androids phones should have the trwp recovery backup component, for us to make backups! Stinkin stock recoverys!!
Sorry to bother you again with this matter, but i´ve been reading a lot lately about this rooting process, and 2 or 3 of posts here in xda, about rooting oreo (mine is April security patch) , and notice many people having issues. That is, i feel unconfortable about taking this steps, until i become prety sure that this is going to work super smooth. Can you please recomend a xda post, or give me a guiding step after step, for me to successfully acomplish root? Or any other guidance method you recomend?
Sorry for the annoyance! :( Thank you so much :good:

Diamonds8

Jan 19, 2019
Rooting problems - XCover 4S

Hi everyone,

I have new Samsung XCover 4S SM-G398FN phone. The phone is from June 2019 and runs Android 9.0. Before i have succesfully rooted my Xcover 2,3 and 4 phones. But now i cannot root my phone succesfully. TWRP is not supported at the moment. If i try root my device with magisk without recovery (flashing the patched boot.img), Odin shows following error:
"
<ID:0/008> Added!!
<ID:0/008> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/008> File analysis..
<ID:0/008> Total Binary size: 23 M
<ID:0/008> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/008> Initialzation..
<ID:0/008> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/008> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/008> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/008> boot.img
<ID:0/008> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/008>
<ID:0/008> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
"
When that ODIN error appears, i get this error to my phone: "Custom binary(BOOT) Blocked By OEM Lock".

I have unlock the phone's Bootloader and i have enabled USB debugging on the phone. I have tried hard reset too and flashing stock firmware via ODIN, without success. I have been desperate and trying to flash XCover 4 UNofficial TWRP but i get same error(s). Is it even possible to root this phone yet?

Anyone can help?

Thank you!

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have new Samsung XCover 4S SM-G398FN phone. The phone is from June 2019 and runs Android 9.0. Before i have succesfully rooted my Xcover 2,3 and 4 phones. But now i cannot root my phone succesfully. TWRP is not supported at the moment. If i try root my device with magisk without recovery (flashing the patched boot.img), Odin shows following error:
"
<ID:0/008> Added!!
<ID:0/008> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/008> File analysis..
<ID:0/008> Total Binary size: 23 M
<ID:0/008> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/008> Initialzation..
<ID:0/008> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/008> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/008> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/008> boot.img
<ID:0/008> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/008>
<ID:0/008> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
"
When that ODIN error appears, i get this error to my phone: "Custom binary(BOOT) Blocked By OEM Lock".

I have unlock the phone's Bootloader and i have enabled USB debugging on the phone. I have tried hard reset too and flashing stock firmware via ODIN, without success. I have been desperate and trying to flash XCover 4 UNofficial TWRP but i get same error(s). Is it even possible to root this phone yet?

Anyone can help?

Thank you!
Enable OEM UNLOCK in development settings.

Diamonds8

Jan 19, 2019
Enable OEM UNLOCK in development settings.

Thanks for the reply. I have done that (and i have enabled USB debugging too) already. I still get that error. Weird error. I have noticed too that i can't go to download mode same way like XCover 1,2,3 and 4 phones. Usually HOME + VOL Down and POWER buttons is enough. This phone, i have to go all the way via Recovery that i can access to download mode. It goes straight to the download mode (no need to press "up" button before flashing. Or "down" button to cancel/restart phone like before). I have been thinking that there might be some new OEM unlock security steps maybe added this phone? I dunno...

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I have done that (and i have enabled USB debugging too) already. I still get that error. Weird error. I have noticed too that i can't go to download mode same way like XCover 1,2,3 and 4 phones. Usually HOME + VOL Down and POWER buttons is enough. This phone, i have to go all the way via Recovery that i can access to download mode. It goes straight to the download mode (no need to press "up" button before flashing. Or "down" button to cancel/restart phone like before). I have been thinking that there might be some new OEM unlock security steps maybe added this phone? I dunno...
Plug in your USB cable then hold POWER + VOL UP + VOL DOWN then post a screen shot of download mode.

Diamonds8

Jan 19, 2019
Plug in your USB cable then hold POWER + VOL UP + VOL DOWN then post a screen shot of download mode.

Thanks again for quick reply. OEM unlock problem is solved. If i press POWER + VOL UP + VOL DOWN (with USB cable plugged or not) or POWER + VOL DOWN buttons (without USB cable plugged), safe mode will appears (without USB cable). When i plug in USB cable and press POWER and VOL DOWN buttons, "different" download mode appears. I have 3 choices, "Volume down : Continue", "Volume up long press: Device unlock mode" and Volume down: Cancel (restart phone)". Pressing VOL UP long will finally unlock OEM. When doing that, phone restart and do automatically factory data reset. Every time phone starts, warning text appears that OEM is unlocked. This is slightly different way to unlock OEM than previously XCover models.

However, i have problems rooting this phone. If i try flash patched boot.img or patched firmware AP (+ "normal" BL, CP and HOME CSC), i cannot go to recovery and do the full wipe data (after flashing operation). It just doesn't seem to be able to capture key button press events in early boot, so long pressing VOL UP doesn't boot to recovery on my device (normally it does but not now). And of course if i cannot go to recovery, i cannot go to system because it go download mode automatically.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Last edited:

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks again for quick reply. OEM unlock problem is solved. If i press POWER + VOL UP + VOL DOWN (with USB cable plugged or not) or POWER + VOL DOWN buttons (without USB cable plugged), safe mode will appears (without USB cable). When i plug in USB cable and press POWER and VOL DOWN buttons, "different" download mode appears. I have 3 choices, "Volume down : Continue", "Volume up long press: Device unlock mode" and Volume down: Cancel (restart phone)". Pressing VOL UP long will finally unlock OEM. When doing that, phone restart and do automatically factory data reset. Every time phone starts, warning text appears that OEM is unlocked. This is slightly different way to unlock OEM than previously XCover models.

However, i have problems rooting this phone. If i try flash patched boot.img or patched firmware AP (+ "normal" BL, CP and HOME CSC), i cannot go to recovery and do the full wipe data (after flashing operation). It just doesn't seem to be able to capture key button press events in early boot, so long pressing VOL UP doesn't boot to recovery on my device (normally it does but not now). And of course if i cannot go to recovery, i cannot go to system because it go download mode automatically.

Any ideas how to proceed?
You need to read the documentation on booting Samsung system as root devices with Magisk installed.
You need to press the right key at the right time.

Diamonds8

Jan 19, 2019
You need to read the documentation on booting Samsung system as root devices with Magisk installed.
You need to press the right key at the right time.

Thank you for the reply again. Rooting problem is solved, finally. I flashed recovery same way like example, "boot.img" and now i can go to recovery. Everything works well now and phone is rooted.

I followed this instructions:

https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html (if somebody use this guide, read every word till the end before flashing. This is important. Especially "EMUI 8" and "EMUI 9+ higher" chapters!)

Thank you, ashyx and everybody else too!

Reactions: James462

Starduck80

Sep 7, 2019
Please help my desparate wife

Hi folks,
to say first Im a noob...
Situation: my wife got a S9+ and we did since 6 months a lot of pictures of our small kids incl. 3 hoildays.
Short: She deleted them by accident...:crying: no back up availible....no I need to do recovery, but need to root first.

Question: I did not find the matching CF-Auto-Root file.
Build on Phone: PPR1.180610.011.G965FXXU6CSGD
Build I found: PPR1.180610.011.G965FXXS4CSDD

Can I use this ne ? How big is the risk that Ill brick the phone ?

thx a lotguys.
May I ask further questions in here If I get in trouble ? :rolleyes:

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Hi folks,
to say first Im a noob...
Situation: my wife got a S9+ and we did since 6 months a lot of pictures of our small kids incl. 3 hoildays.
Short: She deleted them by accident...:crying: no back up availible....no I need to do recovery, but need to root first.

Question: I did not find the matching CF-Auto-Root file.
Build on Phone: PPR1.180610.011.G965FXXU6CSGD
Build I found: PPR1.180610.011.G965FXXS4CSDD

Can I use this ne ? How big is the risk that Ill brick the phone ?

thx a lotguys.
May I ask further questions in here If I get in trouble ? :rolleyes:
This will not work. See the Magisk thread instead.

paritoshkgupta

Dec 26, 2010
Issues with flashing recovery

Hi friends,

I am trying to flash recovery on my Galaxy S9. Downloaded the latest CF-Auto-Root and I am getting error on Odin - Complete(Write) operation failed.

Phone shows the following error SW REV. CHECK FAIL FUSED: 6, BINARY: 4

I noticed the Auto root I got was g960u1ues4csd4

I think I need version 6. I may be missing something, please help! My phone is unusable

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the discussion thread for firmware.mobi.

This site replaces my old central CF-Auto-Root repository, and aside from letting you create and download CFARs, also lets you download stock boot and recovery images for many firmwares and view all sorts of information about them.

Initial publication post: https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/YzfaWH1KDG8
    I honestly don't know how you find the time! Your dedication to the community is phenomenal.

Many will welcome this from noobs to devs. I know I'll find it handy in my endeavours.

Thanks. :cowboy:
    --- also reserved ---
    --- reserved ---
    This is awesome!! Thanks for the hard work it's just amazing. I've been checking it out and I'm getting a hot linking disabled error. And clicking on the following link does nothing. Am I doing something wrong?? Trying to configure a c.f. root package for my sm-g950w. Any ideas guys??

Try using Chrome or Firefox. Seems to be an issue with IE/Edge. I'll check this out later.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone