[FIRMWARE] [STOCK] Amazon Fire HD 8 2017 (douglas) + Stock package listings

Search This thread

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Google Pixel 3 XL
I couldn't find a clear posting for the HD 8 firmware versions, so here they are.
These are sourced either directly from Amazon, or from pulling the update files off my tablet:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=299573

There are full files for:

There are also incremental files for:
636558520-to-636558720
636558720-to-636559820

Use these at your own risk. You can flash them in TWRP after changing extension to ZIP.
Also, don't upgrade to 636559820 unless you are unlocked with TWRP as this version is currently patched against the exploit.
There may be ways around this, search elsewhere in the forum.

Last edited:

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Google Pixel 3 XL
I've also included here a listing of all the stock apps installed on each of the versions.
These were gathered with:

Code:
pm list packages
and
Code:
pm list packages -f

There is one for each firmware version as well as what stock looks like after updates (as of 9/25/19) have been applied to 636559820.

Attachments

• packages-636558520.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 144
  • packages_f-636558520.txt
    20.1 KB · Views: 52
  • packages-636558720.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 35
  • packages_f-636558720.txt
    20.1 KB · Views: 26
  • packages-636559820.txt
    20.4 KB · Views: 27
  • packages_f-636559820.txt
    20.4 KB · Views: 24
  • packages-636559820_updates.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 39
  • packages_f-636559820_updates.txt
    20.1 KB · Views: 57

phigan

Sep 11, 2007
Any reason to use one version over another? Does pm disable work on all of them for everything without needing root?

phigan

Sep 11, 2007
Is there anything that says how these version numbers translate to the FireOS version scheme that Amazon uses? On their website, it says the one they have available is 5.3.7.0. Isn't that kind of old, and possibly lower than the ones listed here?

Edit: Oops, I clicked the link on the Amazon site and it said 50.6.5.0_user_650601220.. so definitely newer and probably not 5.3.7.0 as labelled.

Last edited:

dragonballz2k

Oct 12, 2013
Opengapps wouldn't install without debloating.

Not to fear, I found a fairly old minimal gapps package here which appears to flash fine right after flashing stock rom via TWRP.

The DL link is: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934550851

You can add your google account via Play Store and wait for the Google Play Store and its services to auto-update and it will be perfect.

Thank You I been trying to find a gapp package that would flash on the stock rom since even pico package was too big for the system partition

Letitride

This is very helpful - (background) I managed to unlocked the bootloader & root the HD8 2017 (douglas) stock 5.6.4.0 rom running Linux ("Mint" Debbie LTS) with adb (off my USB stick "live" off my Dell Windows 10 Pro desktop) ... and got LOS 12 running (one of my all-time favorite custom rom on Pixel devices). Had to "brick" it with one of the included tools in that package - just follow the instructions & got Magisk up and running. Play Store installed, ads blocked & OTA disabled, etc. - OpenGapps with pico worked just fine ... however, being still in beta, LOS is just sluggish & screen response slow. Came across this & decided to give it a try, sideloaded the files on the device & boot into TWRP with the "modified" Fastboot option working, and flash - used the nano Gapps (minimal one as linked above - thanks !!) just to be safe.

This is far more responsive, being rooted stock Rom, and everything else updated - Vanced Youtube & sideloaded Youtube Smart TV, etc. Remained rooted & next, I reinstalled Magisk and ran the latest Toolbox V8.2 just fine to tweak it more. Very happy with the overall functionality and apps - with the Amazon apps being hidden, disabled or otherwise blocked ... no more Ads special when starting up; and, using Nova Launcher - with Opera mini browser. Switched to Facebook Lite, Messenger Lite and Instagram Lite instead of the "regular" ones - it is much more responsive & using less "resources"

Not bad for a $50 device (that's what I paid in late 2017/early 2018) nearly 3 years old- battery is still pretty good.

P.S. the full file - 636558720 - renamed from *.bin to *.zip is the one I used to restore & flash back to (equivalent of 5.6.4.0) - do not use the *9820 as that one can be - being newest/newer - a problem !!

Last edited:
Reactions: la_tristesse

Letitride

Which Magisk Version works with the stock 5.6.4.0 rom? I tried Magisk 21 but I'm getting a boot loop after enabling the systemless hosts feature.

Track down and find one of the older Magisk (#21 is too new - keep in mind that HD8-2017 is based on older Android, unlike the newer stock ones before we do anything with it) Go to the Magisk site/link and find one, I don't recall which one - as I no longer have my device, restore it to stock & traded it back to Amazon for a few bucks (yeah) but got 20% off & grabbed a 2020 HD8 instead - net cost was like $35 + tax, well worth it.

I have 2 HD8 (2020) now - (travel with one & the second one stays home) virtually identical and used the Toolbox here to sideload, much more responsive & b/c its newer base, most "current" apps on Google Play Store install, load and run smoothly without issues, unlike the 2017 douglas ... no matter what I do with it, got tired. Plus, I picked up the HD10 also, bigger display and is really great for what I do. Checkout the upcoming Black Friday sales & promo, should be able to get one "cheap" and good for 2 or 3 years.

moore.bryan

Apr 26, 2011
I was facing incredibly choppy video on the unofficial Lineage 15.1 for this device and decided to give this a run. Although it works beautifully with video, I've run into a random reboot to recovery; that is, I'll watch, say, the nightly news while making dinner, turn the screen off, and the next day when I once again go to watch the nightly news the device will be in twrp.

Anyone else experiencing this bizarre stunt?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I couldn't find a clear posting for the HD 8 firmware versions, so here they are.
    These are sourced either directly from Amazon, or from pulling the update files off my tablet:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=299573

There are full files for:

There are also incremental files for:
    636558520-to-636558720
    636558720-to-636559820

Use these at your own risk. You can flash them in TWRP after changing extension to ZIP.
    Also, don't upgrade to 636559820 unless you are unlocked with TWRP as this version is currently patched against the exploit.
    There may be ways around this, search elsewhere in the forum.
    I've also included here a listing of all the stock apps installed on each of the versions.
    These were gathered with:

Code:
    pm list packages
    and
    Code:
    pm list packages -f

There is one for each firmware version as well as what stock looks like after updates (as of 9/25/19) have been applied to 636559820.
    This is very helpful - (background) I managed to unlocked the bootloader & root the HD8 2017 (douglas) stock 5.6.4.0 rom running Linux ("Mint" Debbie LTS) with adb (off my USB stick "live" off my Dell Windows 10 Pro desktop) ... and got LOS 12 running (one of my all-time favorite custom rom on Pixel devices). Had to "brick" it with one of the included tools in that package - just follow the instructions & got Magisk up and running. Play Store installed, ads blocked & OTA disabled, etc. - OpenGapps with pico worked just fine ... however, being still in beta, LOS is just sluggish & screen response slow. Came across this & decided to give it a try, sideloaded the files on the device & boot into TWRP with the "modified" Fastboot option working, and flash - used the nano Gapps (minimal one as linked above - thanks !!) just to be safe.

This is far more responsive, being rooted stock Rom, and everything else updated - Vanced Youtube & sideloaded Youtube Smart TV, etc. Remained rooted & next, I reinstalled Magisk and ran the latest Toolbox V8.2 just fine to tweak it more. Very happy with the overall functionality and apps - with the Amazon apps being hidden, disabled or otherwise blocked ... no more Ads special when starting up; and, using Nova Launcher - with Opera mini browser. Switched to Facebook Lite, Messenger Lite and Instagram Lite instead of the "regular" ones - it is much more responsive & using less "resources"

Not bad for a $50 device (that's what I paid in late 2017/early 2018) nearly 3 years old- battery is still pretty good.

P.S. the full file - 636558720 - renamed from *.bin to *.zip is the one I used to restore & flash back to (equivalent of 5.6.4.0) - do not use the *9820 as that one can be - being newest/newer - a problem !!