[Firmware] Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 / Pro [WHYRED] [Auto updated daily!]

Search This thread
Hmm, okay so in order to do things right this time:
  • I want to install Havoc OS 3 (Android 10).
  • I installed the firmware file "fw_whyred_miui_HMNote5Global_V12.0.2.0.PEIMIXM_e714180088_9.0"
  • I am/was currently on Havoc OS 2 (Android 9).
  • I currently have OrangeFox v11 (latest) installed.
  • Also have the latest Magisk version installed.
What do I need to do in order to flash the custom Android 10 ROM and have everything working fine?
Make full backup with OrangeFox 11.
Use latest full MIUI FASTBOOT ROM with FW and flash it with MIUI flash tool.
Boot once in MIUI ROM.
If you lose OrangeFox reinstaill it.
Than clean install havoc and Magisk.
Your done.
Now install your apps.
Now you'll have latest FW and havoc rom.
Simple, right (y).
I have done this couple of times and I never had problems with my phone... and I tried bunch of ROMs , now I'm on official LOS 17.1. After 4 months not a single problems even after bunch of OTAs. Rock solid.
Good luck and stay safe.

P.S. I don't use gapps or microG

Last edited:

Sidgup1998

Jan 11, 2020
Hi guys,

I flashed "fw_whyred_miui_HMNote5Global_V12.0.2.0.PEIMIXM_e714180088_9.0" firmware on my phone running Havoc OS 2.0 (Pie based) through OrangeFox-R10-RC-3.1. Now the phone is asking for a password to start android and my lockscreen password isn't being accepted.

I know formatting data will fix this, but is there any other fix that doesn't include deleting data? Perhaps a flash of an older firmware or something?
Also, why does flashing firmware encrypt the data partition? I can read the data just fine in OrangeFox and through MTP without entering any password, so is it actually encrypted?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

@Sidgup1998 @yshalsager

edit: I tried flashing (Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt, my ROM again, latest Magisk zip, OrangeFox 11) but still get the same password screen when booting into system.
Strange Issue, I have flashed firmware thru recovery many times but never had this issue (Once i Flashed Russian firmware and it hard bricked my phone).
I am afraid but I think u will have to sacrifice the data.

bubb_rubb

Feb 14, 2013
Make full backup with OrangeFox 11.
Use latest full MIUI FASTBOOT ROM with FW and flash it with MIUI flash tool.
Boot once in MIUI ROM.
If you lose OrangeFox reinstaill it.
Than clean install havoc and Magisk.
Your done.
Now install your apps.
Now you'll have latest FW and havoc rom.
Simple, right (y).
I have done this couple of times and I never had problems with my phone... and I tried bunch of ROMs , now I'm on official LOS 17.1. After 4 months not a single problems even after bunch of OTAs. Rock solid.
Good luck and stay safe.

P.S. I don't use gapps or microG

• Is this the full MUIU Fastboot ROM?
  • Is this the Mi Flash tool? Do I select the ROM and choose clean all and flash?
  • If I lose OrangeFox will I have to reflash TWRP then OrangeFox?
  • Are there any steps here that might lock the bootloader that I should be careful with?
  • Does this MUIU ROM have the latest firmware and vendor?
Thanks for your help.

• Is this the Mi Flash tool? Do I select the ROM and choose clean all and flash?
  • Are there any steps here that might lock the bootloader that I should be careful with?
Thanks for your help.
  • Firmware link
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • don't choose that in flash tool at right bottom.
  • yes in MIUI ROM and FIRMWARE, actualy vendor is getting overwiten from havoc ROM in your case or from LOS 17.1 in my case.

Should I wipe data then reflash custom ROM?
Yes, or you'll get bootloop or other crashes!!!!
Just follow the havoc steps in 1st post of havoc thread.

DON'T RUSH!!!! TAKE IIT SLOWLY AND READ SOME MORE ABOUT FLASHING FIRMWARE ON XDA OR GOOGLE IT!! DONT PANIC OR YOU'LL MOST LIKELY MESS IT UP!! But if your bootloader is unlocked its easy to restore old backup from OrangeFox.
For better overview you can watch how to flash the right way and choosing right options in flash tool

Good luck and stay safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: daredvil8

tiandao6688

Apr 27, 2019
Currently on MIUI 12.1 by xiaomi.eu.
Does the latest firmware have any benefit?
Do I need to worry about ARB with this firmware flashing?
And via MiFlashTool is best, or is Orangefox ok?
Won't affect my current ROM or data, right?
Been dirty flashing via orangefox all prior ROM updates with no issues.

Thanks!

Currently on MIUI 12.1 by xiaomi.eu.
Does the latest firmware have any benefit?
Do I need to worry about ARB with this firmware flashing?
And via MiFlashTool is best, or is Orangefox ok?
Won't affect my current ROM or data, right?
Been dirty flashing via orangefox all prior ROM updates with no issues.

Thanks!
Just don't mix ABR3 and ABR4 ROMS.
If you are on ABR4 than use ONLY ABR4 ROMs!!!
Please, read my last two posts and findout why MI FLASH is the best.
Yes, it will affect your data, etc... that's the price for updating FIRMWARE the right way.
Don't mix ROM update with FIRMWARE update!!!! It's two completely different stuff. Same ROM can be dirty flashed , it's similar to OTA update. Firmware it's basically brains of the system. ROMs are depending on FIRMWARE. You have different Firmwares for different android versions. For exsample lolipop you need old firmware for lolipop and for oreo you need oreo firmware, etc.. yes for android 9 and 10 is the same.... for 11 I don't know, it depends on developers mybee same mybee you'll need firmware 12. We will see when we get there(alfa version of LOS 18.1 is available).
For best results it's not always the best to have the latest firmware. Well it depends on ROM.. I'm still on 11.03 and I have on official LOS 17.1 the best results for battery, wifi, etc.
Good luck and stay safe

Last edited:

tiandao6688

Apr 27, 2019
Just don't mix ABR3 and ABR4 ROMS.
If you are on ABR4 than use ONLY ABR4 ROMs!!!
Please, read my last two posts and findout why MI FLASH is the best.
Yes, it will affect your data, etc... that's the price for updating FIRMWARE the right way.
Don't mix ROM update with FIRMWARE update!!!! It's two completely different stuff. Same ROM can be dirty flashed , it's similar to OTA update. Firmware it's basically brains of the system. ROMs are depending on FIRMWARE. You have different Firmwares for different android versions. For exsample lolipop you need old firmware for lolipop and for oreo you need oreo firmware, etc.. yes for android 9 and 10 is the same.... for 11 I don't know, it depends on developers mybee same mybee you'll need firmware 12. We will see when we get there(alfa version of LOS 18.1 is available).
For best results it's not always the best to have the latest firmware. Well it depends on ROM.. I'm still on 11.03 and I have on official LOS 17.1 the best results for battery, wifi, etc.
Good luck and stay safe

Thanks!

Now I'm feeling a little stupid. Its been about a year since I last did any updates, since the beta stream of the MIUI ended. I knew all of this but kinda forgot. Been a busy chaotic year. Lol.
Was looking at moving to another ROM, but then saw there was a firmware updates, so starting reading it all again.
I remember there being ARB-less firmware. Is that no longer a thing for whyred? I see it is populated for nitrogen and sakura. I'm still on ARB3, if that changes anything.
I guess if I stick to fw-less roms, it shouldn't matter much if I go to ARB4?

Also, suggestions for a good ROM to try? Now that I have time, it'll be good to experiment and move away from MIUI.

Thanks!

Now I'm feeling a little stupid. Its been about a year since I last did any updates, since the beta stream of the MIUI ended. I knew all of this but kinda forgot. Been a busy chaotic year. Lol.
Was looking at moving to another ROM, but then saw there was a firmware updates, so starting reading it all again.
I remember there being ARB-less firmware. Is that no longer a thing for whyred? I see it is populated for nitrogen and sakura. I'm still on ARB3, if that changes anything.
I guess if I stick to fw-less roms, it shouldn't matter much if I go to ARB4?

Also, suggestions for a good ROM to try? Now that I have time, it'll be good to experiment and move away from MIUI.
If you go on ARB4 than you can't go back to ARB3, or you'll brick the phone(in that case EDL is the only way out - the hard way). Be ready that if I remember right, many bricked phones coses by switching ARB versions. Just be ready and unlock bootloder for easy way out (no authorization account needed or hacking files, all you need is costum recovery). There is no more ARB-less firmware anymore, as far i know.

Some ROMs require any of the latest FIRMWARE. Just read ROM guides on ROM thread of your choice.
I personaly love official LOS 17.1 ROM with weekly OTAs :love: (Every Monday for now) . You have thread on XDA by maintainer @SebaUbuntu.
And I'm on 11.0.3.x Firmware and its rock solid combination with long battery life and no problems with signal or wifi drops...
Well it's up to you what ROM you gonna try or use.. you can explore...

Upss.. almost forget... just after your unlocking bootloader read how to install OrangeFox recovery!!! you'll need that for flashing custom ROMs and Backuping ROMs.

Good luck and stay safe.

P.s. I'm gonna get crazy for this stup1d auto corrections.
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Letrix

Apr 5, 2016
Argentina
If you go on ARB4 than you can't go back to ARB3, or you'll brick the phone(in that case EDL is the only way out - the hard way). Be ready that if I remember right, many bricked phones coses by switching ARB versions. Just be ready and unlock bootloder for easy way out (no authorization account needed or hacking files, all you need is costum recovery). There is no more ARB-less firmware anymore, as far i know.

Some ROMs require any of the latest FIRMWARE. Just read ROM guides on ROM thread of your choice.
I personaly love official LOS 17.1 ROM with weekly OTAs :love: (Every Monday for now) . You have thread on XDA by maintainer @SebaUbuntu.
And I'm on 11.0.3.x Firmware and its rock solid combination with long battery life and no problems with signal or wifi drops...
Well it's up to you what ROM you gonna try or use.. you can explore...

Upss.. almost forget... just after your unlocking bootloader read how to install OrangeFox recovery!!! you'll need that for flashing custom ROMs and Backuping ROMs.

Good luck and stay safe.

P.s. I'm gonna get crazy for this stup1d auto corrections.
:ROFLMAO:
Do you know how to know ABR version and firmware version? Tried with the fastboot command but it automatically disconnected my device and forced to shutdown.

Do you know how to know ABR version and firmware version? Tried with the fastboot command but it automatically disconnected my device and forced to shutdown.
Yeah, well known bug on win10(virus10) lool.

Search on xda for reg patch or use usb 2.0 hub.
Here you gooo

Last edited:
Reactions: Letrix

jnsson

As per the FAQ it says I can flash this .zip file in TWRP, but I see people here saying you shouldn't. If I want to install the latest version how should I do it? And can a newer version crackling (sort of) sound from the earpice when I'm calling over VoLTE. When I don't use VoLTE (I.E calling over 3G) I don't get any crackling sound with my firmware version. Don't know what firmware version I have, but it's around 2 years since I had MIUI on this phone

Erpe7

Jan 13, 2018
  • Firmware link
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • don't choose that in flash tool at right bottom.
  • yes in MIUI ROM and FIRMWARE, actualy vendor is getting overwiten from havoc ROM in your case or from LOS 17.1 in my case.

Yes, or you'll get bootloop or other crashes!!!!
Just follow the havoc steps in 1st post of havoc thread.

DON'T RUSH!!!! TAKE IIT SLOWLY AND READ SOME MORE ABOUT FLASHING FIRMWARE ON XDA OR GOOGLE IT!! DONT PANIC OR YOU'LL MOST LIKELY MESS IT UP!! But if your bootloader is unlocked its easy to restore old backup from OrangeFox.
For better overview you can watch how to flash the right way and choosing right options in flash tool

Good luck and stay safe.
Yep.
Plus, if flashing through mi flash tool gives you an error (like me and others with latest fastboot roms) you can simply go into the extracted folder where "flash_and_clean.bat" (some like that) and run it in powershell.
Be careful, dont choose the "flash and lock.bat" file otherwise it will lock your device.

Erpe7

Jan 13, 2018
Thanks for your help.
Yep be careful at the lock.bat file (see my previous reply)

Eddy-bast

Dec 11, 2016
it is safe to downgrade from V12.0.2.0.PEIMIXM to V11.0.3.0.PEIMIXM??? should i do it flashing only firmware file provided here or should i flah via fastboot with mi flash? thank u

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All Xiaomi users suffer from a single problem, Firmware update. As there are many devices with no one to provide the newest firmware update every single release. And also developers who provide updates to devices may forget or be busy sometimes, so releases are provided later. Here is my simple solution:

Xiaomi Firmware Updater (Redmi Note 5 Pro)
    jSIVrRy.png
    Code:
    #include 
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

A set of various script that automatically generates Xiaomi firmware flashable zip files every MIUI new update!
    My scripts download MIUI official ROMs, both Developer and Stable, Global and China, extracts the firmware-update folder, generates firmware flashable zip with auto-written "updater-script", and uploads them automatically to many servers.
    The scripts are completely automated, running on a Linux server every six hours.

Note:
    Names will be in the following manner:
    • fw_miui_HMNote5HMNote5_*.zip is Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred) China firmware
    • fw_miui_HMNote5HMNote5ProGlobal_*.zip is Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro (whyred) Global firmware

Downloads
    You can get updates always from various mirrors available on the website:

Firmware without ARB
    OSDN:
    Firmware-less ROMs
    OSDN:

Frequently Asked Questions:
    What is Firmware? Is it a full ROM or OTA package?
    Firmware is not a ROM nor OTA Package, it's a set of low-level drivers which helps the operating system do whatever it wants to do. It includes various things like Modem, Bluetooth, Bootloader, DSP and etc.
    Why should I update the Firmware?
    Firmware is provided from Xiaomi directly, and there are no sources for it to let developers build and edit it on their own like custom ROMs, so if you want to keep your device up to date always update your firmware!
    Do I need updating the Firmware If I'm MIUI official or custom ROM user?
    No, MIUI ROMs contain the firmware-update package which I extract and provide here.
    What are the supported devices?
    All Snapdragon and MTK devices including China-only devices.
    Check the full devices list here
    Because it doesn't have firmware-update package :p
    How to update firmware?
    1- Download the package you want to flash. IT MUST BE NAMED WITH THE SAME CODENAME OF YOUR DEVICE.
    2- Flash it using TWRP or any custom recovery. There's no need to wipe/format anything before or after the installation.
    How to check the updated firmware?
    Usually, the modem gets updated with newer firmware, you can check it in Settings > About > Baseband.

Support or Contact:
    Having trouble with firmware files? You can open a new issue on Github repository or just write here in a reply, and I’ll help you sort it out.

Source Code:
    - Github
    - Main project thread

Telegram:
    - XiaomiFirmwareUpdater
    - MIUIUpdatesTracker
    - XiaomiGeeks Group

Donations:
    A donation was never necessary, but It's making life easier for me and guarantees paying server costs. My works are free and open source, that cost money, time and many efforts.
    XiaomiFirmwareUpdater and MIUIUpdatesTracker scripts are automated, running on a Linux server. If you want these projects to continue and provide the best services to Xiaomi users, you can help me by donating using:
    - Paypal
    - Pateron
    - LiberaPay

XDA:DevDB Information
    [Firmware] Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 / Pro [WHYRED] [Auto updated daily!], Tool/Utility for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro

Contributors
    yshalsager
    Source Code: https://github.com/XiaomiFirmwareUpdater/mi-firmware-updater

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 5

Created 2018-03-20
    Last Updated 2019-08-07
    MIUI Stabe V9 ROM Firmware (20-03-2018)
    V9.5 released - Android 7.1 - Global only!
    You can get updates always from Basketbuild Or Androidfilehost:

Basketbuild:
    Androidfilehost: (Mirror)
    MIUI 10 PIE 9.3.25 Global & China Closed Beta ROM + Firmware
    This is a special release :p as Closed Pie Beta is just released for our device!
    Global 9.3.25 Closed Beta ROM: Here
    China 9.3.25 Closed Beta ROM: Here
    Firmware Downloads:
    Firmware without ARB
    AFH:
    Firmware-less ROMs
    AFH:
    Donation:
    Support us by donating here: https://paypal.me/yshalsager
    MIUI 10 9.3.28 Global/China Beta ROM Firmware
    Downloads:
    Firmware without ARB
    For whyred, nitrogen, sakura and wayne
    OSDN:
    Donation:
    Support us by donating here: https://paypal.me/yshalsager
    Important announcement!

As you know miui started implementing Anti-rollback to oreo devices. It's enabled now on:
    - whyred (Note 5 Pro)
    - wayne (Mi 6X)
    - nitrogen (Mi Max 3)
    - sakura (Redmi 6 Pro)
    And maybe more devices in the near future.
    Which means if you flashed an older fw/rom with a different (lower) anti version of your current one your device will be bricked!

So, I'll start to provide firmware-less miui roms for these devices, in addition to firmware without arb (contains modem, bluetooth, etc).
    And the normal firmware releases won't be affected.

Don't forget to Join the telegram channel to get new releases are soon as it's out.
    https://t.me/XiaomiFirmwareUpdater | https://t.me/MIUIUpdatesTracker