First impressions coming from Note 1

Search This thread

straxusii

May 8, 2011
Didn't bother upgrading to the Note 2 as it was bigger than N1 and had a lower resolution.

Now upgraded to the N3 coming from a custom JB N1 rom, obviously the N3 is buttery smooth and is a nice size and weight compared to the N1.

The screen isn't much bigger than the N1, as the N1 had a res of 1280x800 it has a nice wide screen, the N3, like the N2, has a more long screen. The N1 screen is the same width as the N3 but the N3 is longer. Obviously the res increase to 1080 is nice.

Trimming my normal sim down to a microsim was fun but now done and works fine.

MohJee

Nov 3, 2012
What did you use to Trim Down the Sim? I was prepared to order a new Sim, but if I didnt have to, that would be cool.

Phone retailers usually have what's called a Micro Sim Cutter.. I used one of those to cut mine to a micro sim. You just have to be careful not to cut the chip part, otherwise you're screwed.

Or if you're bold enough, you can try normal scissors.

images

straxusii

May 8, 2011
Which did you buy 9005 or 9000? I am thinking to upgrade my N1 too. Is speed the only substantial upgrade?

The screen is bigger and the obviously the full 1080 res is nice. The performance certainly seems to be the main upgrade over Note 1 with the screen a close second, I never really used the spen so cant comment on how much of an upgrade the new one is but it looks tangible.

I got the quad core one.

bigmout

Oct 8, 2007
Didn't bother upgrading to the Note 2 as it was bigger than N1 and had a lower resolution.

Now upgraded to the N3 coming from a custom JB N1 rom, obviously the N3 is buttery smooth and is a nice size and weight compared to the N1.

The screen isn't much bigger than the N1, as the N1 had a res of 1280x800 it has a nice wide screen, the N3, like the N2, has a more long screen. The N1 screen is the same width as the N3 but the N3 is longer. Obviously the res increase to 1080 is nice.

Awesome! I'm in the same boat (upgrading from an OG Note) so this info is very useful.

LuckyStrike88

Oct 1, 2012

How responsive is touchwiz on the device? I currently have an N1 running PACman and it's very good (ATM) but with touchwiz it lagged horribly I couldn't even stand the experience, was it just the N1 dual core couldn't handle the bloat?

Also does this device have an IR blaster to control a TV like the S4? Does it have the ability to keep the screen on while you're looking at it? Those are nice features potentially nice enough to keep touchwiz provided the experience is halfway decent.

MohJee

Nov 3, 2012
How responsive is touchwiz on the device? I currently have an N1 running PACman and it's very good (ATM) but with touchwiz it lagged horribly I couldn't even stand the experience, was it just the N1 dual core couldn't handle the bloat?

Also does this device have an IR blaster to control a TV like the S4? Does it have the ability to keep the screen on while you're looking at it? Those are nice features potentially nice enough to keep touchwiz provided the experience is halfway decent.

It's very responsive. It might not be as responsive as HTC's sense 5 and Iphone's IOS slimmed-down interfaces, but it's very close.

It has everything that the S4 has, and then some. So yes it does have an IR blaster and all the gimmicky features.

Reactions: LuckyStrike88

Smiley1987

May 13, 2012
I upgraded from the Note 1 too, this is what i think so far

- N3 is much, much faster. The N1 isnt a slow phone IMO but the 3 just blows it away
- Screen is a lot better resolution wise but i can't see any improvements in colour reproduction/viewing angles etc
- Front gorilla glass seems thinner and doesn't smudge as much
- Phone overall is lighter and doesn't feel as solid (sure this is due to the less weight, the build quality is just as good)
- N3 is thinner, narrower and taller
- S Pen is a lot better, feels like the tip is rubberised so it doesn't scrape across the screen
- No improvement for the speaker that i can tell
- Battery life slightly better (i'd say about 10-20% better than N1)

:)

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Won't let me edit previous post :crying: but I found the N1 on stock TW Jelly bean was nice and smooth - no lag at all. It did struggle a bit on paranoid android though

Now all I need is root and to change the DPI :D :D

straxusii

May 8, 2011

TW is very responsive, as it bloody should be with a 2.3ghz quad core and 3gb of ram :D

Not sure, sorry mate

Reactions: LuckyStrike88

straxusii

May 8, 2011
One thing I hate about the N3 is the browsers, with the N1 we had quick ICS browser which gave you full screen browser, I havent yet found a full screen browser that has access to my chrome desktop bookmarks

straxusii

May 8, 2011
Having had the N3 for a couple of weeks now I'll update my impressions comparing it to a Note 1.

First off it cements my idea at the time that the Note 2 was a sidegrade not an upgrade from the Note 1, I don't know about you guys but the Note for me is all about the large screen whilst being small enough to fit in your pocket and for some inexplicable reason the screen on the Note 2 was worse than the N1.

Anyway back to the N3

The size of the phone is great, it feels smaller than the N1, large because it is thinner and less wide, slightly longer.

Screen is good but not a huge upgrade size-wise from the N1, this is because the N1's screen was 1280x800 so was quite fat, the N3 is more lozenge shaped (it is as fat as the N1 though), the density of the screen at 1080p is though awesome.

Battery life is the single key area I would say where it dominates the N1, I had a slightly extended battery in my N1 and my N3 gets about double the battery life of my N1, I can get about 48 hours use from the N3.

Performance is the other area that shines compared to the note 1, understandably as you go from a 1.4Ghz dual to a 2.3Ghz quad, apps and transitions are smooth as silk in comparison to the N1.

The 2 keys annoyances for me were:

1) The lack of a full screen browser that syncs my chrome desktop booksmarks, Dolphin browser is the solution to this on the N3 and works fine

2) For some insane reason Samsung have placed a home selector widget on every screen, like swiping your finger to change screens isn't easy enough and you can't turn the bloody thing off! I have moved to Nova launcher to deal with this and if anything the phone feels snappier (probably due to Nova'a default of having faster transitions)

heavylift

Feb 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback straxusii . I liked because I did the same the note 2 was a no go for me as changing from a 16:10 (I THINK) aspect ratio on the note 1 to 16:9 in the note 2 was a big mistake in my opinion.
What I want to ask you is this:
how wide is the scren in mm in the note 3 compared to the note 1( if you still have it) not from bezel to bezel but from pixel 1 to pixel 1080 , has sometines there is like half a mm void after the bezel.
I had he note 1 for almost 2 years and love it. Then I sold it and bought the mega 6.3 .. and don't love ir has much , miss the amoled every second I use it .
and miss the camera . Mega 6.3 camera is rubish compared to the note 1 . Believe it or not. Went with the hipe of internet bul**** reviewers sayin the camera was like from the note 2 ..
So how is low light / indoors photo quality compared to the note one? And sunlight visibility ?
Yes I read all the reviews.. some many times.. but I take the word of a xda user anyday than a biased ignorant reviewer
thank you.

Apr 1, 2012
I don't know about you guys but the Note for me is all about the large screen whilst being small enough to fit in your pocket and for some inexplicable reason the screen on the Note 2 was worse than the N1.

Great post. I always preferred Note 1 to Note 2 for the width and the screen. I keep hearing how great the Note 2's screen was but it looked fuzzy to me whereas Note 1 looked much better.

Getting my Note 3 on Monday anyway :)

straxusii

May 8, 2011
One of the first things I did was hold the two screens together to compare and I found the note 1 screen was the same width as the note 3 screen, just the note 3 screen is longer.

I haven't used the camera much but it seems a big improvement, especially in low light.

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
www.processmapping.com.au
I'm loving it

I moved from the Note 1 too, for the same reasons.

The Note 3 is faster, and the battery life I am getting is much, much better. This is especially on screen use where I had 4 hours yesterday, and battery still at 45% with over 18 hours of use, including a couple of hours of music. I also find the OS update has improved drain when not in use, often not dropping by even 1% over an hour or more.

My only gripe is the screen resize / one-hand operation does not work without TW, which I do not use.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Now re-applied stock ROM to Note 1, and wondering what to do with it. It's too slow after the Note 3, but still a great phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Having had the N3 for a couple of weeks now I'll update my impressions comparing it to a Note 1.

First off it cements my idea at the time that the Note 2 was a sidegrade not an upgrade from the Note 1, I don't know about you guys but the Note for me is all about the large screen whilst being small enough to fit in your pocket and for some inexplicable reason the screen on the Note 2 was worse than the N1.

Anyway back to the N3

The size of the phone is great, it feels smaller than the N1, large because it is thinner and less wide, slightly longer.

Screen is good but not a huge upgrade size-wise from the N1, this is because the N1's screen was 1280x800 so was quite fat, the N3 is more lozenge shaped (it is as fat as the N1 though), the density of the screen at 1080p is though awesome.

Battery life is the single key area I would say where it dominates the N1, I had a slightly extended battery in my N1 and my N3 gets about double the battery life of my N1, I can get about 48 hours use from the N3.

Performance is the other area that shines compared to the note 1, understandably as you go from a 1.4Ghz dual to a 2.3Ghz quad, apps and transitions are smooth as silk in comparison to the N1.

The 2 keys annoyances for me were:

1) The lack of a full screen browser that syncs my chrome desktop booksmarks, Dolphin browser is the solution to this on the N3 and works fine

2) For some insane reason Samsung have placed a home selector widget on every screen, like swiping your finger to change screens isn't easy enough and you can't turn the bloody thing off! I have moved to Nova launcher to deal with this and if anything the phone feels snappier (probably due to Nova'a default of having faster transitions)
    One of the first things I did was hold the two screens together to compare and I found the note 1 screen was the same width as the note 3 screen, just the note 3 screen is longer.

I haven't used the camera much but it seems a big improvement, especially in low light.

It's very responsive. It might not be as responsive as HTC's sense 5 and Iphone's IOS slimmed-down interfaces, but it's very close.

It has everything that the S4 has, and then some. So yes it does have an IR blaster and all the gimmicky features.

TW is very responsive, as it bloody should be with a 2.3ghz quad core and 3gb of ram :D

Not sure, sorry mate