First impressions coming from Note 1

Search This thread

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
I don't do eBay, and it is a bit tatty anyway, a scratch on the screen and the 'chrome' look scratched off on the sides.

How much including post to UK. . I have an elderly relative who wants something with big phone buttons & can veiw family pictures on.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
www.processmapping.com.au
Just because you don't like or want to buy anything using eBay, then you wouldn't sell it on eBay? Their money is green like anyone else's

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note III.

Prevous Owner/Hacker of... numerous other devices!

Setting up an account and organising getting the cash, etc, etc, it's just too much aggravation for too little benefit for myself. Nothing to do with not liking it, although Pay Pal has given me an enormous amount of aggravation when I was 'between' countries (they refuse the use of a credit card in another country), and that has not helped.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

How much including post to UK. . I have an elderly relative who wants something with big phone buttons & can veiw family pictures on.

It would probably incur duty & VAT in my experience - I had the same problem sending a laptop there from Oz.

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
Setting up an account and organising getting the cash, etc, etc, it's just too much aggravation for too little benefit for myself. Nothing to do with not liking it, although Pay Pal has given me an enormous amount of aggravation when I was 'between' countries (they refuse the use of a credit card in another country), and that has not helped.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

It would probably incur duty & VAT in my experience - I had the same problem sending a laptop there from Oz.

OK. Although as long as an item is secondhand & declared such. It should not be an issue. I have other items sent from OZ no problem.
Probably an expensive way to buy a Note 1 for me though : D

Last edited:

Nago Desi

Apr 16, 2012
Jersey City
I upgraded from the Note 1 too, this is what i think so far

- N3 is much, much faster. The N1 isnt a slow phone IMO but the 3 just blows it away
- Screen is a lot better resolution wise but i can't see any improvements in colour reproduction/viewing angles etc
- Front gorilla glass seems thinner and doesn't smudge as much
- Phone overall is lighter and doesn't feel as solid (sure this is due to the less weight, the build quality is just as good)
- N3 is thinner, narrower and taller
- S Pen is a lot better, feels like the tip is rubberised so it doesn't scrape across the screen
- No improvement for the speaker that i can tell
- Battery life slightly better (i'd say about 10-20% better than N1)

:)

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Won't let me edit previous post :crying: but I found the N1 on stock TW Jelly bean was nice and smooth - no lag at all. It did struggle a bit on paranoid android though

Now all I need is root and to change the DPI :D :D

Same here, I too came from Note 1 and I'm not turning back.. it's like a major upgrade.. I love my Note 3 :good:

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
Can't wait to get my Note 3 preorder in. I love my Note 1 but the Note 3 seems like a complete improvement. I skipped the Note 2 because I don't like the rounded look, the screen resolution was lowered, and the 16:9 form factor wasn't as good. Note 3's resolution increase more than makes up the difference but changing the DPI first thing when it exits the box. I want a Note to use as a tablet, not as a giant version of a tiny phone as the default DPI makes it out to be. I have my Note 1 at 220dpi and it's great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

stevest

May 8, 2010
I really think there are a lot of Note 1 users who are interested in this thread.
After all, not all Note 1 users jumped on the superior Note 2.
Now that the Note 3 is out, please share your story.
Thanks!
Steve

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Didn't bother upgrading to the Note 2 as it was bigger than N1 and had a lower resolution.

Now upgraded to the N3 coming from a custom JB N1 rom, obviously the N3 is buttery smooth and is a nice size and weight compared to the N1.

The screen isn't much bigger than the N1, as the N1 had a res of 1280x800 it has a nice wide screen, the N3, like the N2, has a more long screen. The N1 screen is the same width as the N3 but the N3 is longer. Obviously the res increase to 1080 is nice.

Trimming my normal sim down to a microsim was fun but now done and works fine.
    Having had the N3 for a couple of weeks now I'll update my impressions comparing it to a Note 1.

First off it cements my idea at the time that the Note 2 was a sidegrade not an upgrade from the Note 1, I don't know about you guys but the Note for me is all about the large screen whilst being small enough to fit in your pocket and for some inexplicable reason the screen on the Note 2 was worse than the N1.

Anyway back to the N3

The size of the phone is great, it feels smaller than the N1, large because it is thinner and less wide, slightly longer.

Screen is good but not a huge upgrade size-wise from the N1, this is because the N1's screen was 1280x800 so was quite fat, the N3 is more lozenge shaped (it is as fat as the N1 though), the density of the screen at 1080p is though awesome.

Battery life is the single key area I would say where it dominates the N1, I had a slightly extended battery in my N1 and my N3 gets about double the battery life of my N1, I can get about 48 hours use from the N3.

Performance is the other area that shines compared to the note 1, understandably as you go from a 1.4Ghz dual to a 2.3Ghz quad, apps and transitions are smooth as silk in comparison to the N1.

The 2 keys annoyances for me were:

1) The lack of a full screen browser that syncs my chrome desktop booksmarks, Dolphin browser is the solution to this on the N3 and works fine

2) For some insane reason Samsung have placed a home selector widget on every screen, like swiping your finger to change screens isn't easy enough and you can't turn the bloody thing off! I have moved to Nova launcher to deal with this and if anything the phone feels snappier (probably due to Nova'a default of having faster transitions)
    One of the first things I did was hold the two screens together to compare and I found the note 1 screen was the same width as the note 3 screen, just the note 3 screen is longer.

I haven't used the camera much but it seems a big improvement, especially in low light.
    How responsive is touchwiz on the device? I currently have an N1 running PACman and it's very good (ATM) but with touchwiz it lagged horribly I couldn't even stand the experience, was it just the N1 dual core couldn't handle the bloat?

Also does this device have an IR blaster to control a TV like the S4? Does it have the ability to keep the screen on while you're looking at it? Those are nice features potentially nice enough to keep touchwiz provided the experience is halfway decent.

It's very responsive. It might not be as responsive as HTC's sense 5 and Iphone's IOS slimmed-down interfaces, but it's very close.

It has everything that the S4 has, and then some. So yes it does have an IR blaster and all the gimmicky features.
    How responsive is touchwiz on the device? I currently have an N1 running PACman and it's very good (ATM) but with touchwiz it lagged horribly I couldn't even stand the experience, was it just the N1 dual core couldn't handle the bloat?

TW is very responsive, as it bloody should be with a 2.3ghz quad core and 3gb of ram :D

Also does this device have an IR blaster to control a TV like the S4? Does it have the ability to keep the screen on while you're looking at it? Those are nice features potentially nice enough to keep touchwiz provided the experience is halfway decent.

Not sure, sorry mate