• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General First impressions - not great

Search This thread

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Do you not get a full illuminated thumb/finger when you press on it? Several of us, do. It's a bit surreal really - even if it's been more reliable than the U/Sonic one I have with my S21U. I'd rather be able to not blind myself in a dark room when trying to simply unlock my phone,
I was trying to replicate your problem yesterday evening by playing with my phone in my bed in darkness. I use my thumbs to unlock the phone. That is why I had a hard time replicating your issue. When laying my thumb on the sensor, it's covered like 99% and even in a dimly or completely black environment, it doesn't bother me. HOWEVER, one time, I only laid a portion of my thumb on the scanner and about 20% of the illumination hit my face. That was indeed a ****ty experience, even though it's only for a very brief amount of time. So yes, that indeed can be a problem, even though it won't bother me much. It only happens if you misplace your thumb when trying to unlock the phone at night, even though most often or not the phone won't lock anyway in bed, at least not for me because I usually have wear detection on.

So yea, that is definitely a critic point, especially if you use other fingers than your thumb to unlock the phone.

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
I was trying to replicate your problem yesterday evening by playing with my phone in my bed in darkness. I use my thumbs to unlock the phone. That is why I had a hard time replicating your issue. When laying my thumb on the sensor, it's covered like 99% and even in a dimly or completely black environment, it doesn't bother me. HOWEVER, one time, I only laid a portion of my thumb on the scanner and about 20% of the illumination hit my face. That was indeed a ****ty experience, even though it's only for a very brief amount of time. So yes, that indeed can be a problem, even though it won't bother me much. It only happens if you misplace your thumb when trying to unlock the phone at night, even though most often or not the phone won't lock anyway in bed, at least not for me because I usually have wear detection on.

So yea, that is definitely a critic point, especially if you use other fingers than your thumb to unlock the phone.

For me it all felt a bit weird seeing the light shine through my thumb, and seeing it glow red like it was burning hot when using it the dark. If not covering completely it is pretty blinding in the dark.

The other thing that concerns me is that circle is running the OLED panel in that area at maximum current and brightness, even if for a short period of time, it's over driving a circle of pixels where nothing else on that panel will likely ever be driven at that brightness, and unlocking many times a day that short flash soon adds up. So my concern is could it cause a circular shadow to appear over time due to those pixels wearing out quicker? Presumably other phones do this so maybe that just doesn't happen.

Currently I've gone back to using a pin code, and have it set to smart unlock whilst at my home location, as it all just feels unnatural, the whole process of it, whereas a finger print scanner on the back was just natural and convenient.

At the least the Pixel 6 always seems to know when I'm going to use it and turns on automatically, even though it is set not to, it actually works quite well as it would be a pain to be using the power button all the time.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
I believe some people were born to complain.

There is no such thing as a perfect phone, at least not for everyone. Why don't you forgo both Google and Samsung phones and buy an iPhone....
There is a baseline of things people expect in a smartphone in 2021, especially at this price. When things don't meet that criteria, people point it out. As they should. Life is an expectations game, always. They sold this as the best thing ever, turns out it might not be. Doesn't mean it's a "bad" phone.

Courtrick

Dec 12, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A71
There is a baseline of things people expect in a smartphone in 2021, especially at this price. When things don't meet that criteria, people point it out. As they should. Life is an expectations game, always. They sold this as the best thing ever, turns out it might not be. Doesn't mean it's a "bad" phone.
how can you say price point when we are talking about a phone that's £850 vs £1099, I'm sorry but from what I've heard from the majority of the reviewers and people online who have the phone I've heard lots of positives. There is an over £200 difference between Pixel 6 Pro and Galaxy S21 (just barely over but over), there may be compromises but most people say they aren't that bad at all and they are in completely different price points anyway.

That being said, if these fingerprint sensor issues are that bad then I may need to reconsider before purchasing but I do hope it's been sorted soon

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
For what it's worth, in my less than 24 hours with the phone I have been happy to very happy with the phone. Many have mentioned there is no "perfect phone" for all of us as that definition is varied based on the individual. The power button arrangement is the same as my Pixel 4XL so I'm good. I like facial recognition W A Y better, others like fingerprint, personal preference. I would have rathered they used a frosted glass and a flat screen even if the phone would have been a bit thicker (I actually prefer a thicker device). Connectivity and all that, we will see what happens but so far for me with AT&T I have not noticed any difference but ymmv. I look at it this way, this is Google first attempt at it's own chip/truly high end phone and I think this would grade out as a B+. Hopefully they will take the positives and continue that next gen and correct the perceived mistakes based on the majority of their users since they will never satisfy everyone.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
how can you say price point when we are talking about a phone that's £850 vs £1099, I'm sorry but from what I've heard from the majority of the reviewers and people online who have the phone I've heard lots of positives. There is an over £200 difference between Pixel 6 Pro and Galaxy S21 (just barely over but over), there may be compromises but most people say they aren't that bad at all and they are in completely different price points anyway.

That being said, if these fingerprint sensor issues are that bad then I may need to reconsider before purchasing but I do hope it's been sorted soon
I think it depends where you are coming from. I have a Oneplus 8 pro and it cost me $1,000 in 2019 with free ear buds that I sold and a 10% student discount, so I really paid about $825. It has the same specs as the Pixel 6 pro aside from the chip, and my phone feels the same as it did new. All of the little things I've seen that would make me like a phone LESS don't exist on mine. Or they are in parallel. People coming from a Pixel 4 or the mid range 5 would absolutely love this Pixel 6 pro.

A good example is the battery life seems to be very poor in real world situations on the 6 pro, and it loses to whatever phone it's up against in the battery drain tests I've seen. My phone gets 6-8 SoT depending what I'm doing and i never even have to think about it. I can also lower my screen resolution to 1080p. What is one of the only things that can actually save you battery on the 6 pro? Lowering screen rez, and you CAN'T DO IT. That's a real world issue for me and there's no getting around it.

Last edited:

Courtrick

Dec 12, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A71
I think it depends where you are coming from. I have a Oneplus 8 pro and it cost me $1,000 in 2019 with free ear buds that I sold and a 10% student discount, so I really paid about $825. It has the same specs as the Pixel 6 pro aside from the chip, and my phone feels the same as it did new. All of the little things I've seen that would make me like a phone LESS don't exist on mine. Or they are in parallel. People coming from a Pixel 4 or the mid range 5 would absolutely love this Pixel 6 pro.

A good example is the battery life seems to be very poor in real world situations on the 6 pro, and it loses to whatever phone it's up against in the battery drain tests I've seen. My phone gets 6-8 SoT depending what I'm doing and i never even have to think about it. I can also lower my screen resolution to 1080p. What is one of the only things that can actually save you battery on the 6 pro? Lowering screen rez, and you CAN'T DO IT. That's a real world issue for me and there's no getting around it.
That's a good point, I personally really think this is a good phone but having seen everything on here I'm now scared to upgrade to it as I am worried the experience is really terrible

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First impressions of this post - not great.
    The Samsung lover is strong in this one.
    Both, my husband and I, we switched from 2XL and even though it is a big, literally, change, the qualitywise it's also amazing. Apart from the curved screen, which is really annoying, we have already got used to everything. The screen quality, the battery life, connectivity, speed, picture quality - everything is better. Of course if I would switch from the previous top Samsung or Apple, I may not be as excited. I do not know that though. And we used to own Samsung S, after year and a half were not usable at all, our pixels 2xl were as good as at the beginning. Some people here are changing their phones every few months, I can imagine they are not as happy as we are. I do not think though I would ever go back to the Samsung's bloatware (it's important to state that we have never modified anything, never rooted, always used the way the manufacturer wanted). For me pixels are perfect.
    To be honest here - I don't understand people that switch from one flagship to another (same generation). I usually change my phones every 2 years and then my family gets my old one. People from a OnePlus 9 Pro or a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra... you already have a decent flagship, you seriously cashing out another grand to experience a phone that might make this 10% better, and that 10% worse? And then go boomsh*t crazy if this Pixel phone does things differently - like placing the power button somewhere else? Seriously? You want another phone and another experience, and THEN COMPLAIN BECAUSE ITS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT?

In the end it's the same generation, similar processor nodes, similar battery technology and sizes - there is nothing here that could re-invent the wheel. Sure, sure, Google has some neat AI tricks, but most of those are software locked to get people to buy their latest Pixels - just take the Magic Erazer as an example - that one is functioning mighty fine on previous pixels with APK sideloading.

Some people change their phones like their underwear. Just take the Oneplus 9 Pro for example. It's barely out half a year, and people already feel the need to switch. Now, does say more about the user or the phone?

Why, that's beyond me. Some people already have good phones (those mentioned in this forum, by the way, cost much more than the P6 Pro - always keep that in mind when comparing; 13 Max starts at 1249 €, S21 Ultra at 1200 € - that's compared to 899 € 28 % & 25 % price difference! - and that gap increases once we raise storage, Apple for example wants more than 100 € for 128 GB more storage) and expect this phone to do a 180° and do everything better, in a magnificient way. Not sure if their sense of reality is the problem, or Googles marketing is just beyond good and evil.

Either way, just don't.
    I was prepared to find a problem with my p6p but I am good so far. Display, battery, battery life, speakers are all excellent for me. No problems. I'm staying away from the forums and forming my own opinions. If you buy something new then read about everyone else's problems with what you just bought, it won't go well for you.
    Fingerprint sensor was driving me nuts. I was pressing it to hard. A lighter touch does the trick. Works every time now.
    I fixed all my problems with my pixel 6 pro. BY RETURNING IT.

First time in my life I got a new phone and hated it. Not only did I hate it, I REALLY hated it. I was even enraged by it. Returning it is the best thing I could do.
    So 2 days in, some real life testing and me not liking. Here's why:
    1. Firstly, I noticed that the screen is yellowy, it's not pure white like you'd find from the S21 phones for example. It's minor but it bothers - like a niggling suspicious this phone can't manage the basics. White isn't white. Reality is overrated.
    2. Secondly, taking photos of white surfaces in darker rooms and white turns blue. I don't mean, faintly tinged, I mean blue!
    3. The phone is well balanced in the hand (unlike the S21U), however it feels very plasticy and cheaply built. Something about putting the power button above the volume rocker is not nice after 3 years with Samsung phones which are the other way around.
    4. So, the camera AI is good, photo's look on the surface to generally be good quality. Noise is well handled by the AI but zoom in and you seen there's a lots of smoothing on a minute level. This is the sole Pixel win over the S21U in my opinion.
    5. The 5G modem, ow god, this is awful. I know, because I have a Samsung with the same modem and good look having working connectivity where the 5G signal is sub par - the phone should drop 5G and revert to more reliable 4G but it doesn't. You just end up with a dead connection. Walk around and experience disconnection from your digital world.
    6. Why the feck can I not turn off 5G, I mean the preference option just isn't there. In no way. If your carriers 5G or 4G network flakes out, you are screwed. How dare you think of manually swapping to another technology to stay connected. Silly, stupid, user. Google (and your carrier) knows best... ergh
    7. VoLTE/4G calling seems flaky on some networks - EE UK - well, you can't. They blame Google, Google blame EE. Good luck with that.
    8. Make sure to cover your eyes when using the finger print reader in the dark too - it's optical/super cheap so it is the brightest light you'll ever see. I have notice one of my blood vessel is bit blocked. Great medical device. A++

I really wanted to love the Pixel 6 Pro. I have lived with a sub par S21U for 9 months. I thought it was lots of marketting spin and less substance. I was wrong. I'm a Samsung fanboi forever now. They can throw me their *(£" and I'll happily lap it up after this massive disappointment.

It'll improve with software updates. Just hold on. These are just the typical usual new problems.... yeah, after 5 years of hearing the same old crappy excuses by manufacturers, I think I'll go with my gut this time.

Hey, Google, where's my refund?!
    I got my P6 Pro today and would like to add something to a few of your points

1. My screen white is white, maybe your panel sucks?
    2. Jea, the blue tint is well known in low light shots. Also visible in several reviews. Many phones go yellowish, googles algorithms goes blueish.
    3. I actually prefer the power button above the volume rocker, so that's personal taste.
    4. The smoothing comes from the Super Rez Zoom algorithm
    5+6: Not sure if it's your provider, but I can set my preferred network, I can tell the phone to prefer either 5G, 4G, 3G or 2G.
    my screen was yellow until i changed wallpaper settings to basic colour options and it became white.
    Funny how people can view the same thing so differently but some of these are simply not true.

You can change network type away from 5G, first thing I did.

Samsung panels are absolutely not colour accurate to compare against.

Some of the other things are subjective. Build quality I think is great, my unit is as well built as any Samsung, iphone or One Plus I have owned.
    First impressions of this post - not great.
    The Samsung lover is strong in this one.
    Lol that post about not turning off 5g! Seriously...look at what you can actually do before mentioning something so basic.
    Secondly power button location different to Samsung is not a fault it's a design choice and your preference. All my OnePlus phones had power above volume also.