• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General First impressions - not great

Search This thread

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Do you not get a full illuminated thumb/finger when you press on it? Several of us, do. It's a bit surreal really - even if it's been more reliable than the U/Sonic one I have with my S21U. I'd rather be able to not blind myself in a dark room when trying to simply unlock my phone,
I was trying to replicate your problem yesterday evening by playing with my phone in my bed in darkness. I use my thumbs to unlock the phone. That is why I had a hard time replicating your issue. When laying my thumb on the sensor, it's covered like 99% and even in a dimly or completely black environment, it doesn't bother me. HOWEVER, one time, I only laid a portion of my thumb on the scanner and about 20% of the illumination hit my face. That was indeed a ****ty experience, even though it's only for a very brief amount of time. So yes, that indeed can be a problem, even though it won't bother me much. It only happens if you misplace your thumb when trying to unlock the phone at night, even though most often or not the phone won't lock anyway in bed, at least not for me because I usually have wear detection on.

So yea, that is definitely a critic point, especially if you use other fingers than your thumb to unlock the phone.

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
I was trying to replicate your problem yesterday evening by playing with my phone in my bed in darkness. I use my thumbs to unlock the phone. That is why I had a hard time replicating your issue. When laying my thumb on the sensor, it's covered like 99% and even in a dimly or completely black environment, it doesn't bother me. HOWEVER, one time, I only laid a portion of my thumb on the scanner and about 20% of the illumination hit my face. That was indeed a ****ty experience, even though it's only for a very brief amount of time. So yes, that indeed can be a problem, even though it won't bother me much. It only happens if you misplace your thumb when trying to unlock the phone at night, even though most often or not the phone won't lock anyway in bed, at least not for me because I usually have wear detection on.

So yea, that is definitely a critic point, especially if you use other fingers than your thumb to unlock the phone.

For me it all felt a bit weird seeing the light shine through my thumb, and seeing it glow red like it was burning hot when using it the dark. If not covering completely it is pretty blinding in the dark.

The other thing that concerns me is that circle is running the OLED panel in that area at maximum current and brightness, even if for a short period of time, it's over driving a circle of pixels where nothing else on that panel will likely ever be driven at that brightness, and unlocking many times a day that short flash soon adds up. So my concern is could it cause a circular shadow to appear over time due to those pixels wearing out quicker? Presumably other phones do this so maybe that just doesn't happen.

Currently I've gone back to using a pin code, and have it set to smart unlock whilst at my home location, as it all just feels unnatural, the whole process of it, whereas a finger print scanner on the back was just natural and convenient.

At the least the Pixel 6 always seems to know when I'm going to use it and turns on automatically, even though it is set not to, it actually works quite well as it would be a pain to be using the power button all the time.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
I believe some people were born to complain.

There is no such thing as a perfect phone, at least not for everyone. Why don't you forgo both Google and Samsung phones and buy an iPhone....
There is a baseline of things people expect in a smartphone in 2021, especially at this price. When things don't meet that criteria, people point it out. As they should. Life is an expectations game, always. They sold this as the best thing ever, turns out it might not be. Doesn't mean it's a "bad" phone.

Courtrick

Dec 12, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A71
There is a baseline of things people expect in a smartphone in 2021, especially at this price. When things don't meet that criteria, people point it out. As they should. Life is an expectations game, always. They sold this as the best thing ever, turns out it might not be. Doesn't mean it's a "bad" phone.
how can you say price point when we are talking about a phone that's £850 vs £1099, I'm sorry but from what I've heard from the majority of the reviewers and people online who have the phone I've heard lots of positives. There is an over £200 difference between Pixel 6 Pro and Galaxy S21 (just barely over but over), there may be compromises but most people say they aren't that bad at all and they are in completely different price points anyway.

That being said, if these fingerprint sensor issues are that bad then I may need to reconsider before purchasing but I do hope it's been sorted soon

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
For what it's worth, in my less than 24 hours with the phone I have been happy to very happy with the phone. Many have mentioned there is no "perfect phone" for all of us as that definition is varied based on the individual. The power button arrangement is the same as my Pixel 4XL so I'm good. I like facial recognition W A Y better, others like fingerprint, personal preference. I would have rathered they used a frosted glass and a flat screen even if the phone would have been a bit thicker (I actually prefer a thicker device). Connectivity and all that, we will see what happens but so far for me with AT&T I have not noticed any difference but ymmv. I look at it this way, this is Google first attempt at it's own chip/truly high end phone and I think this would grade out as a B+. Hopefully they will take the positives and continue that next gen and correct the perceived mistakes based on the majority of their users since they will never satisfy everyone.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
how can you say price point when we are talking about a phone that's £850 vs £1099, I'm sorry but from what I've heard from the majority of the reviewers and people online who have the phone I've heard lots of positives. There is an over £200 difference between Pixel 6 Pro and Galaxy S21 (just barely over but over), there may be compromises but most people say they aren't that bad at all and they are in completely different price points anyway.

That being said, if these fingerprint sensor issues are that bad then I may need to reconsider before purchasing but I do hope it's been sorted soon
I think it depends where you are coming from. I have a Oneplus 8 pro and it cost me $1,000 in 2019 with free ear buds that I sold and a 10% student discount, so I really paid about $825. It has the same specs as the Pixel 6 pro aside from the chip, and my phone feels the same as it did new. All of the little things I've seen that would make me like a phone LESS don't exist on mine. Or they are in parallel. People coming from a Pixel 4 or the mid range 5 would absolutely love this Pixel 6 pro.

A good example is the battery life seems to be very poor in real world situations on the 6 pro, and it loses to whatever phone it's up against in the battery drain tests I've seen. My phone gets 6-8 SoT depending what I'm doing and i never even have to think about it. I can also lower my screen resolution to 1080p. What is one of the only things that can actually save you battery on the 6 pro? Lowering screen rez, and you CAN'T DO IT. That's a real world issue for me and there's no getting around it.

Last edited:

Courtrick

Dec 12, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A71
I think it depends where you are coming from. I have a Oneplus 8 pro and it cost me $1,000 in 2019 with free ear buds that I sold and a 10% student discount, so I really paid about $825. It has the same specs as the Pixel 6 pro aside from the chip, and my phone feels the same as it did new. All of the little things I've seen that would make me like a phone LESS don't exist on mine. Or they are in parallel. People coming from a Pixel 4 or the mid range 5 would absolutely love this Pixel 6 pro.

A good example is the battery life seems to be very poor in real world situations on the 6 pro, and it loses to whatever phone it's up against in the battery drain tests I've seen. My phone gets 6-8 SoT depending what I'm doing and i never even have to think about it. I can also lower my screen resolution to 1080p. What is one of the only things that can actually save you battery on the 6 pro? Lowering screen rez, and you CAN'T DO IT. That's a real world issue for me and there's no getting around it.
That's a good point, I personally really think this is a good phone but having seen everything on here I'm now scared to upgrade to it as I am worried the experience is really terrible

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've only had my Pixel 6 pro 256 cloudy white for one day so I haven't had much time so these are very, very initial impressions!

This d*mn phone is slippery 😳, I've never been this scared without a phone case! Lol (it's on the way tho)

Build Quality: 👍 I like it, I have no issues. Definitely looks nice. I'm not a curved screen fan yet I like this curved screen. Looks nice and no issues thus far. Love how you can't really even see the top speaker yet it's loud & clear.

Sound: Sound quality & volume is Good. I will say its equally as loud as the pixel 4xl yet the sound is much clearer at its peak volume. Sound is balanced to me also.

Battery: I honestly cannot provide a true assessment but I have no issues as of yet. I have everything on including 5g and it's on pace to last all day. I'm not having any crazy drain issues or worries.

* Did I have to or need to upgrade... No, but I definitely like the phone so far. Oh and the screen does feel a tad hollow compared to my 4XL but definitely not an issue either.
    so to add to this complaint thread, or whatever this is. i've had the phone since Nov 3rd. i have mostly all of the same issues except the color on the screen.

1. the screen is just fine for me.
    2. the speakers are good, loud and has a decent balance between left and right when watching videos.
    3. the screen when tapped, yes sounds weird, almost hollow which is not a negative for me, just..... different.
    4. 5g.... crap, the best i have gotten is about 100mbps speed in one spot driving around and testing, not on the go but driving around 3 towns in different areas as i drive a bit everyday. and the average has been around 10mbps. then i switched to LTE and averaged around 20-30 down and 15 up and i just opened a new line for this phone, so new sim card and everything. on my oneplus 7pro i average 60-90 and 30-50 up on LTE everywhere i drive.
    5. finger scanner.... horrible, just no, tried all the tricks you guys mentioned and nothing improved. i can quickly scan my finger on the Oneplus 7Pro and it grabs my finger right away. with this, i just either re-scan or hold it longer which feels useless to have in the first place.

now for the stuff i want to add and not sure if it has been mentioned as there are now 20 pages and dont feel like scanning through them all haha

6. the bluetooth (tested with the new pixel buds and oneplus buds and other bluetooth earphones and such) is basically useless anything below 90% and only the last 4 clicks of volume are good in day time and even then it goes from
    4th click from max: feeling like 80% volume
    3rd from max: feeling like 90% volume
    2nd from max: feeling like 100% volume
    maxed out volume: WHY DO MY EARS HURT???

7. i noticed the tap to wake works less then half the time, i turned off the lift to wake because when pulling out of my pocket i was sliding down the notification and toggling stuff ALL the damn time! it was super annoying, so i turned that off and turned on only tap to wake, but that dont even work well. i will tap, then tap tap, then tap tap tap tap, until i get annoyed and press the power button... oh the power button....

8. the power button on mine, not sure if its defective, but you can only click on it if you press on it EXACTLY in the middle of the button, and then press slightly hard on it to actually press it in and it clicks. the volumes buttons are fine, just the power button needs to be pressed right in the middle and a bit harder compared to the volume buttons. -_-

9. i noticed a "glitch", sometimes i will pull down the notification bar and there will be a black area between the toggles and the notifications. i will pull down again to see the toggles and then swipe up to go back to home screen but it will just go to a black screen, until i swipe up again and then i see the notifications. so im still in the notification area but in a black area of it. i can swipe down to see the toggles again or swipe up to see the notifications and then swipe up again to go to home screen or whatever app i was in. but this happens sometimes, its hard to replicate.

oh oh just noticed another small complaint

10. when double tapping a notification that i want to open, i HAVE to type in my pin to unlock so it goes to that app. with my OP7P i can double tap that notification to open it and go to it and it will just ask for my finger print, no pin needed. why do i have to type in the pin when the finger print is faster in this case??

so those are my add-ons for now, again not sure if they have been mentioned or not
    Is anyone having signal problems, I thought I'd fixed it but i didn't. I turned off adaptive network and battery,worked better for 10 minutes then dropped again. 4G in my house is solid on all previous phones but what I've noticed today is the signal goes to full if I take my hand away from bottom of the phone. Like my hand is blocking signal cos as soon as I put my hand back it drops again 🙄 reminds me of an old iPhone that has similar issue years ago. It isn't affecting speeds or connection but with a low signal I worry about battery life. Battery life has been great so far and signal seems better when I'm out and about. But at home is worse than all previous phones I've had
    Don't take it so personal. Didn't mean to imply that everyone who had a complaint was paid off. But when so many good reviews come in, and so many are having little to no problems, that these reviews/comments here are so over the top seem strange.
    Good reviews?
    I only see those if I" Google" the phone. Don't see to many in any of the forums.
    This phone is a disappointment at Best.
    From Android Authority:

"As mentioned, the Pixel 6 Pro tops out at 22W of power, far below the maximum charging potential offered by the adapter itself (as we’ll see in the next section). This peak power draw is sustained until 50% charge, which takes about 31 minutes, virtually as advertised. However, after that initial period of faster charging, power sent to the phone falls to 15W at around 62% battery capacity or around 40 minutes. This remains steady until falling further to just 12W by 75% capacity, which takes around 53 minutes to hit. From there the power holds steady once more until 85% charge is obtained at around the 63-minute mark, after which power gradually falls to as little as 2.5W by the time the battery is full.
    Our verdicts: Google Pixel 6 review | Google Pixel 6 Pro review

Charging this last 15% of the battery takes an exorbitant about of time, requiring a further hour to finish filling up. Oddly, the phone actually switches back to the standard USB Power Delivery protocol after hitting around 75% battery capacity. There’s no clear reason for this and might be a hangover from Google’s old charging algorithm, as we’ll see later.

After hitting 50% charge, power falls from 22W to 15W and then well below.
    Looking at a full charge cycle, the phone is reasonably quick to hit 50% but the following 50% takes three times as long. Temperature-wise, the phone didn’t break 35°C peak, which is very good, though it’s quickly turning to winter at the time of writing, so the external temperature may have played a small factor. Still, there’s plenty of thermal headroom in the latter stages of charging, with battery temperatures hovering close to just 25°C. The only other reason for Google to be playing it so conservative is so as not to strain a reasonably cheap low C-Rate battery."
    So 2 days in, some real life testing and me not liking. Here's why:
    1. Firstly, I noticed that the screen is yellowy, it's not pure white like you'd find from the S21 phones for example. It's minor but it bothers - like a niggling suspicious this phone can't manage the basics. White isn't white. Reality is overrated.
    2. Secondly, taking photos of white surfaces in darker rooms and white turns blue. I don't mean, faintly tinged, I mean blue!
    3. The phone is well balanced in the hand (unlike the S21U), however it feels very plasticy and cheaply built. Something about putting the power button above the volume rocker is not nice after 3 years with Samsung phones which are the other way around.
    4. So, the camera AI is good, photo's look on the surface to generally be good quality. Noise is well handled by the AI but zoom in and you seen there's a lots of smoothing on a minute level. This is the sole Pixel win over the S21U in my opinion.
    5. The 5G modem, ow god, this is awful. I know, because I have a Samsung with the same modem and good look having working connectivity where the 5G signal is sub par - the phone should drop 5G and revert to more reliable 4G but it doesn't. You just end up with a dead connection. Walk around and experience disconnection from your digital world.
    6. Why the feck can I not turn off 5G, I mean the preference option just isn't there. In no way. If your carriers 5G or 4G network flakes out, you are screwed. How dare you think of manually swapping to another technology to stay connected. Silly, stupid, user. Google (and your carrier) knows best... ergh
    7. VoLTE/4G calling seems flaky on some networks - EE UK - well, you can't. They blame Google, Google blame EE. Good luck with that.
    8. Make sure to cover your eyes when using the finger print reader in the dark too - it's optical/super cheap so it is the brightest light you'll ever see. I have notice one of my blood vessel is bit blocked. Great medical device. A++

I really wanted to love the Pixel 6 Pro. I have lived with a sub par S21U for 9 months. I thought it was lots of marketting spin and less substance. I was wrong. I'm a Samsung fanboi forever now. They can throw me their *(£" and I'll happily lap it up after this massive disappointment.

It'll improve with software updates. Just hold on. These are just the typical usual new problems.... yeah, after 5 years of hearing the same old crappy excuses by manufacturers, I think I'll go with my gut this time.

Hey, Google, where's my refund?!
    I got my P6 Pro today and would like to add something to a few of your points

1. My screen white is white, maybe your panel sucks?
    2. Jea, the blue tint is well known in low light shots. Also visible in several reviews. Many phones go yellowish, googles algorithms goes blueish.
    3. I actually prefer the power button above the volume rocker, so that's personal taste.
    4. The smoothing comes from the Super Rez Zoom algorithm
    5+6: Not sure if it's your provider, but I can set my preferred network, I can tell the phone to prefer either 5G, 4G, 3G or 2G.
    my screen was yellow until i changed wallpaper settings to basic colour options and it became white.
    Funny how people can view the same thing so differently but some of these are simply not true.

You can change network type away from 5G, first thing I did.

Samsung panels are absolutely not colour accurate to compare against.

Some of the other things are subjective. Build quality I think is great, my unit is as well built as any Samsung, iphone or One Plus I have owned.
    First impressions of this post - not great.
    The Samsung lover is strong in this one.
    Lol that post about not turning off 5g! Seriously...look at what you can actually do before mentioning something so basic.
    Secondly power button location different to Samsung is not a fault it's a design choice and your preference. All my OnePlus phones had power above volume also.