• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General First impressions - not great

Search This thread

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
Google first attempt at it's own chip/truly high end phone and I think this would grade out as a B+

Google haven't really had much input into the chip, which is essentially a version of a Samsung Exynos. It's all standard off the shelf chips, all Google have done is a bit of a pic and mix that is all, then had it rebranded. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a teardown of the phone, and if they can see the chip (it might have memory stacked on top) that it just doesn't say "Samsung Exynos" with some part number. Even the source code apparently has references to Samsung Exynos.

It is basically a Samsung designed SoC and Samsung designed phone. I can see the meetings between Samsung and Google with Google picking things and Samsung engineers just rolling their eyes saying "that doesn't make sense and you can't do that" and Google leaving in a mood for not getting what they wanted :)

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
It's not that it's broken, it's that it's annoying. It's slow as hell compared to my 4a 5Gs traditional FPR and it lights up like a Christmas tree Everytime you use it. No thanks.
Its also optical not ultrasonic which is what cheap mid rangers use and not as secure either. Its disappointing they used this technology even if it was fast or consistent.

Reactions: smallfish82

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
Galaxy A71, I was hoping to actually get android updates in a reasonable period of time if I upgraded
Courtrick, don't let the comments in this thread dissuade you from buying this phone. There are PLENTY of reviews that grade this phone out be maybe a hair below excellent. Most owners here are hyper-aware of every nuance to a phone that 99% of the typical user would not see as issues. You won't be disappointed, run don't walk to the nearest store and pick one up...if you can find them of course.

Courtrick

Dec 12, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A71
Courtrick, don't let the comments in this thread dissuade you from buying this phone. There are PLENTY of reviews that grade this phone out be maybe a hair below excellent. Most owners here are hyper-aware of every nuance to a phone that 99% of the typical user would not see as issues. You won't be disappointed, run don't walk to the nearest store and pick one up...if you can find them of course.
Ahaha fair enough, I've been tinkering with my Galaxy A71 for a while now I just can't find a good gsi rom to use with Bluetooth Support in the mean time. I will probably go for it just waiting to see if there are any deal breaking bugs now it's in wider use. I wouldn't describe myself as a typical user though as I love customization and am always the first to sign up for a beta, sometimes to my own detriment.

stuff

Apr 16, 2007
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This.
You'll see more people complain about the phone than you will see people loving the phone. This has always held up for everything. The people enjoying it are just doing that. They aren't looking for grievances.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
This.
You'll see more people complain about the phone than you will see people loving the phone. This has always held up for everything. The people enjoying it are just doing that. They aren't looking for grievances.

As with everything else in the world, its not perfect. At least, not for everybody. However, what it might be to some people, is BETTER than anything else out there.

Some imperfections can be fixed. Software flaws can be fixed when the source code becomes available. Some hardware flaws can be fixed with accessories like protective cases. Some flaws, you just have to live with, like if you dislike the curves on the sides of the screen.

Now while you might see a lot of complaints about certain characteristics, what you need to think about is the fact that complaints can actually be constructive. The complaints that can be fixed. Complaints lead to discussion which leads to solutions, which leads to coming closer to actually being perfect.

So don't worry too much. Read the complaints, and decide if they are fixable and/or livable. If they are, then this might be the phone for you. If not, then you might need to look somewhere else.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
Ahaha fair enough, I've been tinkering with my Galaxy A71 for a while now I just can't find a good gsi rom to use with Bluetooth Support in the mean time. I will probably go for it just waiting to see if there are any deal breaking bugs now it's in wider use. I wouldn't describe myself as a typical user though as I love customization and am always the first to sign up for a beta, sometimes to my own detriment.
If you're on any kind of mid range phone like the Samsung A phone this one will def be a huge upgrade for you. Especially coming from a Snapdragon 7xx processor, the Pixel will absolutely fly past it.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Fingerprint scanner is SOOO SLOOOW
Screen is yellowish and very dim
Phone gets stupidly hot simply downloading updates

...it's going back! My Oppo Find X3 does *everything* better!
I'm not sure what you mean with slow. If I lay my finger on the scanner, it almost instantly unlocks - there is a short span of time, maybe a third of a second, that the phone needs from noticing my finger to unlocking/opening the homescreen. That's about to par with the unlocking time on my old Pixel 3. Is that much slower in your experience? Maybe it's a bug? Broken hardware?

There also seems to be some sort of animation scale event happening when unlocking, did you already try to tone that down to .5x or animation off (developer options) to see if that improves your experience?

I have to admit though that I never used other fingerprint scanner systems other than Googles backside fingerprint implementation, so my point of reference is rather small. The unlocking time on my P6 Pro certainly does not bother me, it appears to also be up to par with the time that my 4XL took to unlock (faceunlock).

I'm also not sure what you mean with very dim. If I max it out indoor, it's too bright and hurts my eyes. And I can clearly see everything on my phone even outside in bright daylight with sunglasses on. Do you have automatic brightness enabled?

The stupidly hot - mh. I did notice my phone getting quite warm when I first set it up, but I wouldn't call it stupid, or extreme. And it has not yet happened again (even this morning when it updated probably ~30 apps). Even though I have not yet had a heavy use case like prolonged 4K60FPS video shooting.

Last edited:
is BETTER than anything else out there.
BIt misleading. The P2P is not the best phone out there.

Agree it's down to individual taste, however this phone is not premium in my eyes - it should have been at least £150 cheaper to fit the product delivery.

The Google 'employees' on here won't have the hype questionned. People need to be informed than they can make their own mind.

It's amazing I'm told that somehow love Samsung over Google and that's a sin.

Two things - it's just a phone. There's nothing to 'love' in inaminate objects - if you love your posessions, you are likely missing out on life. Also I have made my views of Samsung very well known on Samsung forums. I universally dislike misleading marketting and sub-standard products. Defective ones that are sold as "premium" are unforgiveable - doesn't matter who made them!

Reactions: zymphad and xgerryx

darbylonia

Apr 30, 2011
New York
I've been reading all these first impressions comment and getting nervous as my Pro arrives tomorrow. I will play with it but if I find these flaws I will return and get the Asus ROG phone 5 Pro or Ultimate as those look like beasts.

Reactions: Norma Stitz

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I've been reading all these first impressions comment and getting nervous as my Pro arrives tomorrow. I will play with it but if I find these flaws I will return and get the Asus ROG phone 5 Pro or Ultimate as those look like beasts.

Don't forget that the majority of users that do not experience problems never voice that. The silent majority usually stays silent. Some of the voiced problems here are questions of taste, like a fingerprint scanner not being fast enough (we can talk about hundreds of a second here, depending on the specific need of the person that has a direct point of reference that you might not have), or people hating on a phone that has a power button over the volume buttons (never bothered me for example), or people calling this was cheaply made, which I would call a joke. I've held IPhones, Galaxys, Pixels and other phones in my hand and - by comparison - this is the first Pixel with decent gap sizes (chassie - display). The exterior finish on the aluminium is without flaw. The display fits nicely into the chassie. That's what I call high quality. But that's just my opinion and taste.

If I had to make a comparison, I'd call the Pixel 6 Pro on par with Samsungs build quality, even though it falls behind Apples (flagship), like every non-Apple phone does. Their gap sizes between their stainless steel chassie and display still reigns supreme. Every edge there, well, just fits perfectly. It's that finish that is sorta present on the Pixel 6 Pro, but only sorta - which is still more than most other flagship phones can offer.

There is one hardware quality critic point that was voiced more than once and that is a gap between chassie/display and the top speaker. For some strange reason, I can't replicate that. I have no visible gap there. Maybe I am not looking the right way, maybe it is indeed a QA problem. Be sure to check that.

I'd say the only few serious problems as of now are

1. Random reboots
2. Yellowish tint (reported by several people, even though I personally e.g. do not have that problem)
3. Network connection
4. Throttle/heat after prolonged usage

At least three of those should be easily fixable by software, maybe even all of them. But be sure to check your phone, Google is afterall known for making phones with more than one hardware based problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: darbylonia

buschris

Jan 20, 2011
Lol that post about not turning off 5g! Seriously...look at what you can actually do before mentioning something so basic.
Secondly power button location different to Samsung is not a fault it's a design choice and your preference. All my OnePlus phones had power above volume also.
the Oneplus 7 Pro has volume and power on opposite sides, as is others so dunno what your on lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Both, my husband and I, we switched from 2XL and even though it is a big, literally, change, the qualitywise it's also amazing. Apart from the curved screen, which is really annoying, we have already got used to everything. The screen quality, the battery life, connectivity, speed, picture quality - everything is better. Of course if I would switch from the previous top Samsung or Apple, I may not be as excited. I do not know that though. And we used to own Samsung S, after year and a half were not usable at all, our pixels 2xl were as good as at the beginning. Some people here are changing their phones every few months, I can imagine they are not as happy as we are. I do not think though I would ever go back to the Samsung's bloatware (it's important to state that we have never modified anything, never rooted, always used the way the manufacturer wanted). For me pixels are perfect.
    To be honest here - I don't understand people that switch from one flagship to another (same generation). I usually change my phones every 2 years and then my family gets my old one. People from a OnePlus 9 Pro or a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra... you already have a decent flagship, you seriously cashing out another grand to experience a phone that might make this 10% better, and that 10% worse? And then go boomsh*t crazy if this Pixel phone does things differently - like placing the power button somewhere else? Seriously? You want another phone and another experience, and THEN COMPLAIN BECAUSE ITS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT?

In the end it's the same generation, similar processor nodes, similar battery technology and sizes - there is nothing here that could re-invent the wheel. Sure, sure, Google has some neat AI tricks, but most of those are software locked to get people to buy their latest Pixels - just take the Magic Erazer as an example - that one is functioning mighty fine on previous pixels with APK sideloading.

Some people change their phones like their underwear. Just take the Oneplus 9 Pro for example. It's barely out half a year, and people already feel the need to switch. Now, does say more about the user or the phone?

Why, that's beyond me. Some people already have good phones (those mentioned in this forum, by the way, cost much more than the P6 Pro - always keep that in mind when comparing; 13 Max starts at 1249 €, S21 Ultra at 1200 € - that's compared to 899 € 28 % & 25 % price difference! - and that gap increases once we raise storage, Apple for example wants more than 100 € for 128 GB more storage) and expect this phone to do a 180° and do everything better, in a magnificient way. Not sure if their sense of reality is the problem, or Googles marketing is just beyond good and evil.

Either way, just don't.
    I was prepared to find a problem with my p6p but I am good so far. Display, battery, battery life, speakers are all excellent for me. No problems. I'm staying away from the forums and forming my own opinions. If you buy something new then read about everyone else's problems with what you just bought, it won't go well for you.
    Fingerprint sensor was driving me nuts. I was pressing it to hard. A lighter touch does the trick. Works every time now.
    a) it feels like there is a bubble/hole underneath the middle of the screen, when you tap there, the sound is different than when you tap at the edges
    That's well known and discussed, it's a "design choice" of every phone that has it's display attached to the edge of the chassie, you will find that (for example) in every other IPhone 13 aswell.
    b) fingerprint is not so fast, sometimes misses ... although I have same finger registered 3 times ...
    Did you re-do the fingerprints after the most recent update? (.036). The setup changed quite a bit and it's more reliable now (most phones were shipped out with pre-release versions, most differing from .015 to .019).
    d) power button on right side ... a change for me ... will get used to it ... I reckon it does make sense though, I use a flip-case ... then the power button is on the opening side of the flip case ...
    There's actually a wonderful way to shoot photos. You double-press the power button with one hand (that automatically opens the camera) and then switch a couple centimeters and shot a photo with a press on the volume rocker. It's the way I've been shooting photos ever since owning the Pixel 2 XL and I definitely do not want Google to change that location. It enables me to shoot a photo after getting my phone out of my pocket in less than three seconds.
    e) what is most annoying with my current setup is that the swipe gestures (home, back) somehow interfere with the gestures from Nova Launcher ... I haven't figured it out yet precisely ... the standard gestures are clearly handled by the Google launcher (for fact because when I freeze the Google launcher the gestures no longer work)
    Jea, that's also well known. Google doesn't give a flying fu*k about custom launchers.
    f) material you is a f***ing gimmick, well done Google for fantastic marketing hype ... some of it is also handled by the Google launcher (I would have thought the OS) ... a mixture of material you icons for Google apps and other (standard) icons for non-Google apps is just *UGLY* ... what I don't understand is this: this phone can do fantastic AI things ... then why the hell could it not do a (simple) task (with some AI support) to turn ALL icons into the same style ... come on ... that can't be too difficult ... even when using these wallpaper matched icons then the icons in the drawer are old style ... I really dislike these UI inconsistencies ... so I ended up using Nova with all custom icons (at least they now all share the same "design")
    Totally agree here. Android 12 is terrible. An oversized, uni-color, inconsistent mess. Should never have been released in the first place.
    g) so slippery that I barely dared to take it in my hand ;-) ... lot of people have complained ... again, what I don't understand is that these Google engineers/designers do not feel this (apparently) when they make prototypes ... it's so obvious ... or maybe Google just wants to financially support phone case manufacturers
    Well to be fair, many customers these days expect shiny backsides, aka glass. And glass gets slippery. That's no excuse though for Google using a NOT matt finish, this glossy version is just slippery as heck - agree here.
    h) VoLTE does not work on my carrier (it worked out of the box on the OnePlus 8 Pro), I guess it is missing some config? not clear to me if this is "fixable" ... it's not a very big deal ... but still
    Best just contact your carrier. Or reset your phone and start it without a simcard (so the carrier stuff doesn't get downloaded automatically at setup). I never had such an issue, but considering that many here talk about it...
    So ... after 2 days ... Google's first "flagship"? Hmm ... the camera is very good (I'm not an expert to judge foto details) ... and the AI (speech recognition, live translation) is state-of-the-art for this type of device ... but ... all of that is not differentiating enough (for me) to really make the phone "stand out" and give it a big leap ahead of the competition ...
    Well to be fair, noone with the right mind expected Google to create a phone that stands out and gives it a big leap ahead of the competition. First and foremost, the competition is more expensive. Secondly, this phone is build on the same processor nodes, battery technology and similar Kernel/ROM like any other. It's not about re-inventing the wheel (if Google tricked you here with their marketing, I feel sorry for you), it's just about giving the best possible Pixel experience, compared to previous generations. Google never really cared about other manufacturers - they try to go the Apple way: I do it this way, and that's fine, because only I set my goals (in my opinion that's stupid and has hindered the Pixel franchise for years, but I'm not the Google manager making the big decisions).

Google Pixels have always just been some clean Software experience phones, and the Pixel 6 just added decent hardware on top of it - it's not the best hardware out there, just a decent one for a Flagship.

As far as I know, no reviewer with the right mind claimed otherwise.
    So when the Google guy announced it as "our first flagship" he probably meant: finally, our engineers are up to par with the Apples/Samsungs/OnePlus of this world ...
    No, he literally meant "our first flagship". The Pixel 1-5 were higher midtear phones with good software, no flagship there. They had always cut alot of corners.
    Anyway, it's only the second day ... need to learn to loive it a little bit ...
    I'm pretty sure that you will come around. Usually Pixel phones just work beautifully. It's just a shame that the current release of Android 12 is a buggy mess, it takes a lot of joy away from the beautiful Pixel experience.

Shame on Google for that one...
    Well ... it's only my second day with the P6P ... I always held off buying Pixels because they officially were not availaible in my country and because the reviews always came up with some things that I thought I would not like.

After several OnePlus generations the hype around P6P made me turn round and order one (coming from a OnePlus 8 Pro - fantastic phone by the way, easily customizable with root).

My "after-2-days" complaints (of course comparing a lof with the OnePlus 8 Pro).

a) it feels like there is a bubble/hole underneath the middle of the screen, when you tap there, the sound is different than when you tap at the edges

b) fingerprint is not so fast, sometimes misses ... although I have same finger registered 3 times ...

c) I really hate the little white navbar line at the bottom (even when using Nova Launcher) and the fact that there is no option to hide this

d) power button on right side ... a change for me ... will get used to it ... I reckon it does make sense though, I use a flip-case ... then the power button is on the opening side of the flip case ...

e) what is most annoying with my current setup is that the swipe gestures (home, back) somehow interfere with the gestures from Nova Launcher ... I haven't figured it out yet precisely ... the standard gestures are clearly handled by the Google launcher (for fact because when I freeze the Google launcher the gestures no longer work) ...

f) material you is a f***ing gimmick, well done Google for fantastic marketing hype ... some of it is also handled by the Google launcher (I would have thought the OS) ... a mixture of material you icons for Google apps and other (standard) icons for non-Google apps is just *UGLY* ... what I don't understand is this: this phone can do fantastic AI things ... then why the hell could it not do a (simple) task (with some AI support) to turn ALL icons into the same style ... come on ... that can't be too difficult ... even when using these wallpaper matched icons then the icons in the drawer are old style ... I really dislike these UI inconsistencies ... so I ended up using Nova with all custom icons (at least they now all share the same "design")

g) so slippery that I barely dared to take it in my hand ;-) ... lot of people have complained ... again, what I don't understand is that these Google engineers/designers do not feel this (apparently) when they make prototypes ... it's so obvious ... or maybe Google just wants to financially support phone case manufacturers

h) VoLTE does not work on my carrier (it worked out of the box on the OnePlus 8 Pro), I guess it is missing some config? not clear to me if this is "fixable" ... it's not a very big deal ... but still

I did not root (yet) ... I've rooted all my phones so far ... wanted to give it a try without root first for a couple of days/weeks. I guess it's partially a "mental" thing ;-)

I disabled (freeze) 73 APKs ... yes you can freeze without root using "App Freezer" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wakasoftware.appfreezer). Normally I would use root for that. XML file exported from App Freezer attached (for those wanting to have a look).

Adblocking ... normally also via root but AdBlock can work in VPN mode ... it sorta works ... not always 100% reliable (VPN drops).

I found a way to make other apps dark which are normally white: just do
    Code:
    adb shell setprop debug.hwui.force_dark true
    but this does NOT persist after a reboot. You can as well go into developer settings and there is an option there (just search for "dark" in the settings), this changes the same property. Again, via root yould easily make this "stick" across reboots.

What I "miss" most (compared to my OnePlus 8 Pro): BLACK mode ... which I did using (rooted) Substratum and the SwiftBlack theme. Now I managed to make everything "darkish" with the dark theme and the option above. Sorta OK and more or less "consistent" across the board ... have to get used to that ... or later change to BLACK with root. Never understood why that is not an "option" (to set dark to BLACK).

So ... after 2 days ... Google's first "flagship"? Hmm ... the camera is very good (I'm not an expert to judge foto details) ... and the AI (speech recognition, live translation) is state-of-the-art for this type of device ... but ... all of that is not differentiating enough (for me) to really make the phone "stand out" and give it a big leap ahead of the competition ...

So when the Google guy announced it as "our first flagship" he probably meant: finally, our engineers are up to par with the Apples/Samsungs/OnePlus of this world ...

You will maybe say/think: just stick with OnePlus if you like it so much ... well ... I promised that phone to my wife so no return back ;-)

Anyway, it's only the second day ... need to learn to love it a little bit ...
    So 2 days in, some real life testing and me not liking. Here's why:
    1. Firstly, I noticed that the screen is yellowy, it's not pure white like you'd find from the S21 phones for example. It's minor but it bothers - like a niggling suspicious this phone can't manage the basics. White isn't white. Reality is overrated.
    2. Secondly, taking photos of white surfaces in darker rooms and white turns blue. I don't mean, faintly tinged, I mean blue!
    3. The phone is well balanced in the hand (unlike the S21U), however it feels very plasticy and cheaply built. Something about putting the power button above the volume rocker is not nice after 3 years with Samsung phones which are the other way around.
    4. So, the camera AI is good, photo's look on the surface to generally be good quality. Noise is well handled by the AI but zoom in and you seen there's a lots of smoothing on a minute level. This is the sole Pixel win over the S21U in my opinion.
    5. The 5G modem, ow god, this is awful. I know, because I have a Samsung with the same modem and good look having working connectivity where the 5G signal is sub par - the phone should drop 5G and revert to more reliable 4G but it doesn't. You just end up with a dead connection. Walk around and experience disconnection from your digital world.
    6. Why the feck can I not turn off 5G, I mean the preference option just isn't there. In no way. If your carriers 5G or 4G network flakes out, you are screwed. How dare you think of manually swapping to another technology to stay connected. Silly, stupid, user. Google (and your carrier) knows best... ergh
    7. VoLTE/4G calling seems flaky on some networks - EE UK - well, you can't. They blame Google, Google blame EE. Good luck with that.
    8. Make sure to cover your eyes when using the finger print reader in the dark too - it's optical/super cheap so it is the brightest light you'll ever see. I have notice one of my blood vessel is bit blocked. Great medical device. A++

I really wanted to love the Pixel 6 Pro. I have lived with a sub par S21U for 9 months. I thought it was lots of marketting spin and less substance. I was wrong. I'm a Samsung fanboi forever now. They can throw me their *(£" and I'll happily lap it up after this massive disappointment.

It'll improve with software updates. Just hold on. These are just the typical usual new problems.... yeah, after 5 years of hearing the same old crappy excuses by manufacturers, I think I'll go with my gut this time.

Hey, Google, where's my refund?!
    I got my P6 Pro today and would like to add something to a few of your points

1. My screen white is white, maybe your panel sucks?
    2. Jea, the blue tint is well known in low light shots. Also visible in several reviews. Many phones go yellowish, googles algorithms goes blueish.
    3. I actually prefer the power button above the volume rocker, so that's personal taste.
    4. The smoothing comes from the Super Rez Zoom algorithm
    5+6: Not sure if it's your provider, but I can set my preferred network, I can tell the phone to prefer either 5G, 4G, 3G or 2G.
    my screen was yellow until i changed wallpaper settings to basic colour options and it became white.
    Funny how people can view the same thing so differently but some of these are simply not true.

You can change network type away from 5G, first thing I did.

Samsung panels are absolutely not colour accurate to compare against.

Some of the other things are subjective. Build quality I think is great, my unit is as well built as any Samsung, iphone or One Plus I have owned.
    First impressions of this post - not great.
    The Samsung lover is strong in this one.
    Lol that post about not turning off 5g! Seriously...look at what you can actually do before mentioning something so basic.
    Secondly power button location different to Samsung is not a fault it's a design choice and your preference. All my OnePlus phones had power above volume also.