First impressions of Android L for Note 4

Search This thread

willowpc

Jul 22, 2013
Linhares
Don't install Lollipop if you like to play games

I used to play asphalt 8 at 60 FPS full-time with KitKat, now i'm getting an average of 37 FPS...

the lost of gaming performance (and just in this area that Lollipop is worst than Kitkat) is clear, all games have decreased their FPS, so, need more optimization from Samsung.

Reactions: asia559571

Sublation

Jan 5, 2013
If the 64 bit stuff is not accessible neither is the 4gb of ram.....then this is total disappointment. another user said that their benchmark results dropper as well. what's going on samsung? was this just an aesthetic update? i can do without the make-up I want my performance.

You guys need to quit worrying about what Antutu says. Antutu is and always will be trash, along withe every other benchmark that runs solely from the phone.

Even 4.4.4 the results were always different from one test to another.

I could run the test and get 36K. Immediately run it again and get 50K.

The fact is that android benchmark doesn't mean anything...

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Don't install Lollipop if you like to play games

I used to play asphalt 8 at 60 FPS full-time with KitKat, now i'm getting an average of 37 FPS...

the lost of gaming performance (and just in this area that Lollipop is worst than Kitkat) is clear, all games have decreased their FPS, so, need more optimization from Samsung.

Well... game developers don't exactly have a reputation for optimizing anything.

Many games have fps caps or are optimized for resolutions less than 1080p. it's also a good bet that most games aren't optimized for lollipop.

So you need to acknowledge those possibilities before you dump on samsung.

asia559571

Jul 14, 2013
Mixed feelings

Its true what Sublation said, I wouldn't worry too much about AnTuTu but rather how good you feel as a user with the new update, I read some time ago that Lollipop would focus more on Battery life, Multitasking abilities and ART optimization but wouldn't necessarily outperform KitKat.
Any notable changes to TouchWiz? and How about ART runtime, is there the option to switch back to Dalvik??
Oh! Howz WiFi and Bluetooth?

Last edited:

xishp117x

Sep 14, 2014
Sunnyvale
Have found first few issues with 5.0.1 stock:
1. Heartrate sensor is almost always active -- if you put your finger or anything else on the sensor it's going to flash red. All the time, even after reboot and no SHealth running.
2. Interruptions mode settings are not complete. HERE you can see how it's done in S5 lollipop firmware, but in Note4 I don't have "Sound mode" settings and no interruprions settings from the volume button menu, only through Settings -- Sound Notifications -- Interruptions.

Next update needed.

I have none of the issues you described ...

Reactions: rastus.rob

xishp117x

Sep 14, 2014
Sunnyvale
I don't know why all you folks are having problems ... My SM-910C is working flawlessly on 5.0.1 ...

Attachments

• 1423806983569.jpg
    1423806983569.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,965
  • 1423806998513.jpg
    1423806998513.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,986
  • 1423807012470.jpg
    1423807012470.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,981

rastus.rob

Sep 2, 2014
Mackay, Queensland
Working flawlessly for me too, a touch of lag, but no worse than KK. Battery life seems good, had a lot of SOT and it's still on %60.

Most of the mods I use still work too, TWRP, SuperSU, boot and shutdown anims, volume boost, screen mirror hack with my cheapo miracast dongle (actually seems more responsive), writing to extsdcard works fine (applied platform.xml hack anyway, just to be sure) and replacing my touch sounds. Unfortunately xPosed isn't working yet, but once that's done I'll be a happy chappy.

All in all, the main difference I see (on the surface) is the infterface, more settings available, and the recent apps persist across boots (nice).

EDIT: one strange thing, occasionally a star will appear in the notification bar, have absolutely no idea what it's for, if anyone could shed some light I'd be grateful.
EDIT2: found out it means Priority Interruptions is enabled.

Last edited:

rastus.rob

Sep 2, 2014
Mackay, Queensland
After install the Lollipop N910C, i found that now, when you click com Quick Glance, you got a menu with options to what you want to show on the quick glance, but i can't get this to work, the settings gives me FC when i click on Try It, and the quick glance doesn't works at all...

Have any possibility that any developer can enable this ?
Where do you find Quick Glance and the Air Gesture stuff, I've looked through Accessibility, S-Pen and Language & Input sections of settings and can't find it ?

EDIT: using a N910K btw.

exclass

Aug 9, 2014
I too don't have any problems, except some minor not important bugs I found. Benchmark scores may not be everything but they give you an idea how a system will perform. In this case, tests I made with the lollipop rom show an increase in benchmark scores, which is great. Tested battery quite some times life and it is overall much better with an increase of about 15% in endurance. Camera has fast motion and slow motion in the mode section, not from the camera settings now. Time lapse now goes 30x faster, from 8x, which was the maximum in kitkat and this is great for me cause I really like time lapse. I now set the video at FHD 60 fps all the time, don't need to set it everytime I close and reopen the camera. Everything is better in lollipop. Future bug fixes and optimizations are coming for sure, hopefully making things even better.

thanks bro! well this makes me feel a lot better. I'll just wait for it to come out on my n910h :D

lol yeah ur right!

Sent from my SM-N910C using XDA Free mobile app

The funny thing is that some people in this thread are still actually quoting that post about downloading RAM. Haha. That must be a first on XDA.

The people who are dying over Antutu need to get a clue. Folks, as members of XDA, you should know that Antutu isn't everything (some people -- not me -- even think its garbage) and QQ'ing over a benchmark score misses the point. The larger issue is that Samsung didn't appear to spend as much time optimizing the software as they should have -- I would much rather have a lag-free recent apps switch than an additional 1,000 points on Antutu, frankly -- but I guess they had no choice. People -- especially a vocal few here -- were crying bloody murder over the slow release of Lollipop.

Then again, Google itself released Lollipop with a memory leak and are taking their sweet time releasing 5.0.3, which is supposed to address the bug so people have to rely on custom builds. I guess the point is that the implementation of Lollipop, which is a major update, hasn't gone smoothly even for the originating party (i.e. Google) -- so don't expect miracles from Samsung, of all companies.

I'm not counseling patience or anything like that -- just a healthy dosage of realism and fairness.

At the end of the day, if Google itself didn't exactly release a pristine ROM (and took a long time to actually release it from Preview to 'Gold'), how can you expect better from Samsung, which has a history of slow and buggy releases? Neither Google nor Sammy deserve plaudits for their software and it's time to stop holding up Google as some sacred cow because even their software has device-breaking bugs (and just for the Apple fanboys out there: Apple actually released a patch that borked people's ability to make calls, of all things -- and are now dedicating iOS9 to quashing bugs introduced between iOS 7 and 8).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No 64 bit no 4g ram. My antutu went from 52.000 to 43000 . Pretty colours and the end

Did you check your chip cores? I got 4 extra with this update.
    If the 64 bit stuff is not accessible neither is the 4gb of ram.....then this is total disappointment. another user said that their benchmark results dropper as well. what's going on samsung? was this just an aesthetic update? i can do without the make-up I want my performance.

i got 49607 at AnTuTu now with Lollipop (and the device was hot before the test, so, could got more points if was colder) .. Strange that i have loose 1500 points on multitasking and won 1500 points too on execution time.. the rest still the same value +/- that was on 4.4.4.

i've no bug with S-health sensor, stays off until i choose some function on S-heath app

Same problem with interruptions (incomplete)

The rest the ROM it's faster and smoother than 4.4.4, very beautiful too...
    sucks

No 64 bit no 4g ram. My antutu went from 52.000 to 43000 . Pretty colours and the end
    I don't know why all you folks are having problems ... My SM-910C is working flawlessly on 5.0.1 ...
    overall faster, smoother, though what drives me INSANE is lack of silent mode!!!
    apparently there is some mystery way to make your phone not wake you at night randomly with vibrations, but I cannot find it.
    AWFUL GOOGLE!!!!

The quick toggle shown below is the Lollipop equivalent of silent mode;