Question First impressions

Search This thread

flipp0

Jun 2, 2013
Got my Edge 20 a couple of days ago. Also have a OP Nord 2.
The front on Edge 20 looks really nice with symmetrical bezels and a nice looking punchole (compared to the ugly ring on Poco F3). However, I regret buying the version with a white back since it looks a bit tacky. Thinking about returning it and buying a black one.

Build quality feels better on Nord 2 due to the thin design of Edge 20.

The screen is very nice but I see not benefit of 144hz refresh rate (compared to 120hz or 90hz).

Performance and fluidity is really good. Feels almost like a flagship in that regard. Perhaps Nord 2 is a bit faster but only by a hair. Animations feels nicer on Edge 20.

Haptics are way better on Nord 2. Motorola used a cheap vibration motor on Edge 20.

Battery life on Edge 20 seems better than expected given the fairly small battery and large screen (with high refresh rate). However, it is too early to draw any sharp conclusions on battery life.

If I compare Edge 20 and Nord 2. Dayligt camera performance from main sensor more or less the same in terms of details. However, I think photos from Edge 20 are nices looking due to better white balance. Photos from Nord 2 have a yellow tint. Low light performance from the main camera is better on Nord 2 (brighter photos with more detail) However, it is possible to install gcam on Edge 20 and it supports all three cameras (BSG). This app improves low light performance for all sensors. Especially, photos from the telephoto camera looks much better with gcam. I think 3x zoom is very usueful and actually more useful than 5x. https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/

lucky_kuk

May 20, 2015
Xiaomi Mi A2
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The front on Edge 20 looks really nice with symmetrical bezels and a nice looking punchole (compared to the ugly ring on Poco F3). However, I regret buying the version with a white back since it looks a bit tacky. Thinking about returning it and buying a black one.

The screen is very nice but I see not benefit of 144hz refresh rate (compared to 120hz or 90hz).

Performance and fluidity is really good. Feels almost like a flagship in that regard. Perhaps Nord 2 is a bit faster but only by a hair. Animations feels nicer on Edge 20.

Haptics are way better on Nord 2. Motorola used a cheap vibration motor on Edge 20.

Battery life on Edge 20 seems better than expected given the fairly small battery and large screen (with high refresh rate). However, it is too early to draw any sharp conclusions on battery life.

If I compare Edge 20 and Nord 2. Dayligt camera performance from main sensor more or less the same in terms of details. However, I think photos from Edge 20 are nices looking due to better white balance. Photos from Nord 2 have a yellow tint. Low light performance from the main camera is better on Nord 2 (brighter photos with more detail) However, it is possible to install gcam on Edge 20 and it supports all three cameras (BSG). This app improves low light performance for all sensors. Especially, photos from the telephoto camera looks much better with gcam. I think 3x zoom is very usueful and actually more useful than 5x. https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/
Thanks for these first impressions. I will be receiving my Edge 20 after a few days! Waiting to check it out.

Can you post some Camera sample of Stock app vs Gcam on Edge20? That would be great!

Also what is the SOT you are getting as of now?

flipp0

Jun 2, 2013
Thanks for these first impressions. I will be receiving my Edge 20 after a few days! Waiting to check it out.

Can you post some Camera sample of Stock app vs Gcam on Edge20? That would be great!

The battery drops 11% per hour when the sceeen is on according to accubattery.

First is stock 3x zoom, the secod is BSG gcam 3x zoom without any tweaks. Results should be even better if someone releases a custom XML for Edge 20.

7LeDPpU.jpg

HZcSZmM.jpg

Just got mine a few days ago. Battery seems to have settled now. I'm getting 5 to 6 hours of SOT. Battery drains about 10% overnight. I think because it's searching for signal.

Some pics come out better with stock camera, others with BSG gcam. Depends on the situation. Overall the cameras are good. Not quite flagship level, but pretty good.

Only gripe I have so far is that the wifi range seems rather weak, especially compared to eg. OnePlus. Near my router is fine, but when I even just sit just outside on the terrace it keeps dropping and reconnecting. My OnePlus keeps streaming video without any issues in these places. This is a real bummer and I'm not sure if I can live with that.

Other than that I love how light it is. Love the screen and the side mounted fingerprint scanner. It's very fast and snappy.

Reactions: lucky_kuk

Android Rocks

Sep 26, 2012
How about Hi-Res audio support? I have LDAC supporting oppo enco M31 bluetooth earphones. Would I able to enjoy LDAC through powerAMP app?

Last edited:

flipp0

Jun 2, 2013
I will send back my Edge 20 tomorrow. Could not get used to the ugly white back and I do not want to use this phone with a case (the USP is how thin and light it feels in the hand naked). I may order a black one later. If the haptics would have been better I would have bought a black one ASAP.

• Sad
Does the BSG Gcam work perfectly? As in, do all the modes like Portrait, Night Mode, Time Lapse, Slo-mo, and Photo Sphere Work for all 3 lenses?
I just tried. Still photography works like it should for all three lenses. Portrait and night sight work too.

Video doesn't seem to work at all on the main lense. It's just a black screen. Can't work any of the buttons.

Video only works for the selfie cam.

• Sad

lucky_kuk

May 20, 2015
Xiaomi Mi A2
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I just tried. Still photography works like it should for all three lenses. Portrait and night sight work too.

Video doesn't seem to work at all on the main lense. It's just a black screen. Can't work any of the buttons.

Video only works for the selfie cam.
Maybe will have to try some other Mod which might work :(
Because without video it will get difficult, and I don't want to use the Stock app much.

ERAAF

Apr 6, 2021
Hey
Its good to hear edge 20 supports gcam with almost everything working

I suggest fellow edge 20 users to use the following gcam and check if these are working

1) 7.3 urnyx v2.1 wichaya v3.1
Or
Gcam 8.1 wichaya (latest)

2) greatness 8.2(latest)
3) camstellar greatness v4
4)Nikita 7.4 v2.0
Or Nikita 8.2 (latest)
5) 8.2 MGC parrot043 V8 from parrot's telegram group
6) tr camera (latest)

My suggestions
use a config file of a famous device (any one plus device) and load it in your gcam app , you can change the settings and aux values as per moto edge 20 later and adjust it so that it can work in moto

Or head to greatness's telegram where

Reactions: viv29

lucky_kuk

May 20, 2015
Xiaomi Mi A2
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hey
Its good to hear edge 20 supports gcam with almost everything working

I suggest fellow edge 20 users to use the following gcam and check if these are working

1) 7.3 urnyx v2.1 wichaya v3.1
Or
Gcam 8.1 wichaya (latest)

2) greatness 8.2(latest)
3) camstellar greatness v4
4)Nikita 7.4 v2.0
Or Nikita 8.2 (latest)
5) 8.2 MGC parrot043 V8 from parrot's telegram group
6) tr camera (latest)

My suggestions
use a config file of a famous device (any one plus device) and load it in your gcam app , you can change the settings and aux values as per moto edge 20 later and adjust it so that it can work in moto

Or head to greatness's telegram where
I am currently using the one by BSG v8.1
It works fine for all lenses, except that it produces that weird fisheye distortion with the ultra-wide lens.

Is there any fix for this? Or any alternative?

ERAAF

Apr 6, 2021
It works fine for all lenses, except that it produces that weird fisheye distortion with the ultra-wide lens.

That's great, I have also attached greatness 8.2 link with a config
Try this and reply

Attachments

• test2.xml
    22.8 KB · Views: 39
  • GCam8.2.204_Greatness.210904.1854Release_Cameight.apk
    102.1 MB · Views: 49

lucky_kuk

May 20, 2015
Xiaomi Mi A2
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Can someone confirm my observation as below -
The front cam has a fixed focus, causing blur on faces in a selfie which are not at the front. (Even without portrait mode)

This is resulting in useless selfies, as only the front person's face is focused and rest gets blurred.

And if anyone knows any workaround to this, it would be helpful!!

AlphaKilo09

Oct 27, 2016
Motorola Edge 20
I just tried playing some 4k HDR 60fps demo videos on my Motorola Edge 20 (XT2143-1).

Most of them played fine but few of them (like the ones from the link mentioned below) were way off with lot of saturation so much so that it was difficult to even look at the screen while playing these videos. Tried playing on various apps like Google Photos app, VLC, MX Player, etc. but no luck. These videos are playing fine on other phones (I had checked on Redmi Note 10 Pro & One Plus 9).

LG 4K HDR Demo Chess.mp4
LG 4K HDR Demo - Colors of Journey.mkv
Samsung x RedBull: See the Unexpected HDR

But when I enable the option to "Show refresh rate" or when I turn ON "Disable HW overlays" from 'developer options', videos appear to play fine showing colours properly.

PS. Playing 4K HDR 60FPS videos on Youtube is fine and has no problem. The screenshots come out fine and not affected by this.

I appreciate if anyone who got this phone could check/verify this issue.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi thanks for the impressions could you please confirm the following things
    1. In the camera setting is there an option to preserve the last camera mode used and launch at the same mode every time
    2. In the pro mode if we adjust the ISO and colour temperature setting, are these settings preserved
    2a. If we close and relaunch the camera
    2b. If we change the zoom level/camera lens

Waiting for the reply. Need to have the exact same settings at each launch and at each zoom level.
    Yes to all of the above.

As long as the "Keep last mode" feature is enabled, closing/reopening the camera app will default to Pro mode (if last used/selected) and retain white balance/ISO on a per-lens basis.

It will still default to the main sensor regardless of which was last used, however will retain white balance and ISO for all lenses.

The battery drops 11% per hour when the sceeen is on according to accubattery.

First is stock 3x zoom, the secod is BSG gcam 3x zoom without any tweaks. Results should be even better if someone releases a custom XML for Edge 20.

7LeDPpU.jpg

HZcSZmM.jpg
    Just got mine a few days ago. Battery seems to have settled now. I'm getting 5 to 6 hours of SOT. Battery drains about 10% overnight. I think because it's searching for signal.

Some pics come out better with stock camera, others with BSG gcam. Depends on the situation. Overall the cameras are good. Not quite flagship level, but pretty good.

Only gripe I have so far is that the wifi range seems rather weak, especially compared to eg. OnePlus. Near my router is fine, but when I even just sit just outside on the terrace it keeps dropping and reconnecting. My OnePlus keeps streaming video without any issues in these places. This is a real bummer and I'm not sure if I can live with that.

Other than that I love how light it is. Love the screen and the side mounted fingerprint scanner. It's very fast and snappy.
    I got mine 5 days ago, no issues with the Wi-Fi - stable approx. 300mbit, btw my previous Galaxy S20 was making up to 400-430.
    No issues with the touch, but my PC (Ryzen 5 Pro 16Gigs RAM and NVME drive), is thinking quite a lot with Hi-Res pictures - only about 40megs ?

And the battery drop is about 1,5% per hour on my usage

Screenshot_20211107-041403-942.png