• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[FIX] 30 Nov r2: Volume Bug Fix!

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Annoyed with the volume bug on your Galaxy Nexus? Well, i'm very proud to present the forthcoming official fixed boot image which resolves this problem. In order to flash this boot image, you need your bootloader to be unlocked at this time (use './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in the download). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device.

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! This is still in a testing phase internally. Although it works great for us, well, you never know. :)

• Volume Bug Fix r3 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: 292ba3630f475b2f779a19057649200a
How to use - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- WINDOWS - double click 'install-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-mac.sh' followed by './install-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-linux.sh' followed by './install-linux.sh'

Please don't rehost this zip file - if you want to link to the fix, please link to this topic. That's all I ask. Enjoy! ;)

P

Last edited:

minooch

Oct 16, 2008
Thanks Paul, I get the phone tomorrow morning & thanks to you we already have our hands on the fix. Thanks a million! :D

Rubu

Jun 24, 2009
I'm very curious as to whether the volume bug is also fixed for the bootloader, and if it affects CPU load in any way, anyone tested something along those lines yet?

mike1986.

With all credits to paulobrien, who delivered this stock kernel to us, I made recovery flashable .zip with zImage file (kernel) instead of whole boot.img, because I do some changes to ramdisk (another part of boot.img) and by flashing default boot.img over my ROM you will loose all my tweaks. Also there are no changes to ramdisk, volume button fix in only zImage related. So you can grab it from here

Just flash it in recovery. You can flash it on any ROM, not only mine.

Reactions: Gale6

Nebucatnetzer

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks for all your hard work! Cant wait for my GN, i hope ill get it this week!

Can you pleas tell me whats wrong with the bootloader? I only know the bug with the volume but ive never read something about bootloader bug ...

Thanks in advance:D

The phone suffers from the volume bug even when it's in the bootloader. A lot of people think now it could be a hardware problem because there isn't much going on the software side in this state.

Which means if it is a hardware problem and you fix it with a software patch then it could still cause some problems under the hood. For example the phone doesn't sleep proberly while it is in a 2G area.

But according to Paul it doesn't cause any reaction on the phone. Which makes the bug really strange.

Edit: At least for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: lichti1901

qwerp_

Oct 8, 2010
Paul,

The .bat file is "fastboot boot *.img", which i understand wouldn't be permanent, can we also "fastboot flash boot *.img"

Cheers

i have manually run fastboot flash boot <image> on mine, and it worked.(i also backup a copy of my boot.img before hand just incase).

i believe what paul is trying to do is just a temporary fix (running it once) untill google release a proper update.

Reactions: ande_uk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Annoyed with the volume bug on your Galaxy Nexus? Well, i'm very proud to present the forthcoming official fixed boot image which resolves this problem. In order to flash this boot image, you need your bootloader to be unlocked at this time (use './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in the download). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device.

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! This is still in a testing phase internally. Although it works great for us, well, you never know. :)

• Volume Bug Fix r3 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: 292ba3630f475b2f779a19057649200a
    How to use - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
    - WINDOWS - double click 'install-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-mac.sh' followed by './install-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-linux.sh' followed by './install-linux.sh'

Please don't rehost this zip file - if you want to link to the fix, please link to this topic. That's all I ask. Enjoy! ;)

P
    You can reverse the unlock with lock when required;

./fastboot-windows oem lock
    This doesn't fix the bootloader, doesn't seem to affect the device in any other way.

P
    With all credits to paulobrien, who delivered this stock kernel to us, I made recovery flashable .zip with zImage file (kernel) instead of whole boot.img, because I do some changes to ramdisk (another part of boot.img) and by flashing default boot.img over my ROM you will loose all my tweaks. Also there are no changes to ramdisk, volume button fix in only zImage related. So you can grab it from here

Just flash it in recovery. You can flash it on any ROM, not only mine.
    Thanks for all your hard work! Cant wait for my GN, i hope ill get it this week!

Can you pleas tell me whats wrong with the bootloader? I only know the bug with the volume but ive never read something about bootloader bug ...

Thanks in advance:D

The phone suffers from the volume bug even when it's in the bootloader. A lot of people think now it could be a hardware problem because there isn't much going on the software side in this state.

Which means if it is a hardware problem and you fix it with a software patch then it could still cause some problems under the hood. For example the phone doesn't sleep proberly while it is in a 2G area.

But according to Paul it doesn't cause any reaction on the phone. Which makes the bug really strange.

Edit: At least for me.