General (FIX!!!) 3rd Party Launchers and the Recent Apps button issues, consistent replication.

Search This thread

farazjk

Apr 2, 2009
Hello,

Solution that worked for me was to not change anything in the developer mode. I simply added a gesture to activate recent apps. Most third party launchers have swipe gestures which can be setup in the launcher settings menu. I used single finger swipe up to launch recent apps. worked perfectly for me. Hope this helps others too.

Cheers!!!

Reactions: madduke

NHNXDA

Jan 26, 2008
Also got this on the OnePlus 10 pro, using nova, it's so annoying, can't say I've replicated this with stock launcher as yet, I'll play & advise.

Any updates from anyone else on this issue.

• Angry
Reactions: mruno

madduke

Sep 29, 2021
Stock P6 on Beta 3 and using Nova I see my phone sort of freeze using the back gesture. All I can do is go back and forth between the overview and the app drawer. The phone is completely unresponsive to any other inputs and I have to restart the phone to get out of it. I tried Lawnchair and got the same thing.
I tried switching to the nav bar instead of gestures but saw the problem eventually anyway.
Using the Pixel launcher (not a fan) is my only option at the moment.

Last edited:

roiikka

Feb 7, 2016
The Galaxy
FIX!!!!!!

Settings > System > Developer Options > Animator duration scale

Turn to 'Animation off'

The Window animation scale and Transition animation scale has no effect on this.

After changing this, I have not been able to replicate this issue.

My best guess is that the recent apps button is pressed while the animation is still going, and the phone has the electronic equivalent of a mild stroke.

Can anyone else confirm that this corrects the issue? I haven't seen a solution like this on any of the many threads about this.
Confirmed! Thanks, my dude ..

Also setting it (I set the others too to make it even) to 1.5x and up fixes it. I have to swipe twice on recents first app showing but I think that's my fault, I tried to downgrade it from ApkPure APKs to try and fix it.

Thanks again 👌

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FIX!!!!!!

Turn to 'Animation off'

The Window animation scale and Transition animation scale has no effect on this.

My best guess is that the recent apps button is pressed while the animation is still going, and the phone has the electronic equivalent of a mild stroke.

Can anyone else confirm that this corrects the issue? I haven't seen a solution like this on any of the many threads about this.
    I'm sure some of you have experienced the Recent Apps button (3 button navigation) not working with 3rd party launchers (Nova, Microsoft, etc). The only fix I have been able to find is to switch the default launcher to the Pixel Launcher, and then back to your 3rd party launcher of choice.

Luckily, I have been able to replicate this problem consistently. While using a 3rd party launcher (Nova launcher in my case), open any app (and only one) and press the Recent Apps button 3 times quickly. The Recent Apps button should stop working. It does not break when there are no recent apps or when there are 2 or more.

Hopefully, this information might be helpful to minds smarter than my own.

If anyone else is experiencing this or is able to replicate the issue as well, I'd like to hear what your setup and experience with the issue is.

This is a fresh install of Nova. I Imported all my apps from my Galaxy S10+, so I'll try that and report back with results.

Other than that, what do you think of the gesture navigation? I pretty much wrote it off as soon as I got the phone.
    I've never been a fan of it, never used it before and still don't like it. The only reason I'm trying it again is because I'm still not rooted and simply can't stand looking at that ugly white navbar (yea yea, I know I'm weird :LOL:). It works I guess, but getting to Recents for example is a hit & miss with gestures, navbar is much more reliable for me.

Whatever your issue is I hope you get it sorted 🤞 :)
    FIX!!!!!!

Turn to 'Animation off'

Turning animation off prevents the 'recents' button failure, but I wouldn't call it a fix since then animations won't work. Personally I will keep animations set to .5 and try not to press 'recents' too many times. The lack of animations gives the Nova UI a flat and amatuerish look.

This is a Nova bug, probably due to Android 12 incompatability, since it doesn't happen with the Pixel launcher. I guess we can hope that they correct it eventually.

Thanks for identifying the cause, I had this happen multiple times before I read your post and didn't have any idea what was causing it.
    Turning animation off prevents the 'recents' button failure, but I wouldn't call it a fix since then animations won't work. Personally I will keep animations set to .5 and try not to press 'recents' too many times. The lack of animations gives the Nova UI a flat and amatuerish look.

This is a Nova bug, probably due to Android 12 incompatability, since it doesn't happen with the Pixel launcher. I guess we can hope that they correct it eventually.

Thanks for identifying the cause, I had this happen multiple times before I read your post and didn't have any idea what was causing it.
    I have some shaky hands so I end up pressing the button a few times fairly often.

I think the issue is with Pixel Launcher. I have confirmed that this issue happens in other launchers as well (Microsoft Launcher). I also found that killing the Pixel Launcher fixes it too.