• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[FIX] build.prop variety fix (aka contact manufacturer problem)

Search This thread

gladiac

Nov 13, 2006
Vienna
Hello everybody,

this is a fix for the rather common build.prop variety problem on nexus 9 (and maybe others). This is the error-message that users often see after boot:

Android System
There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details.

The problem occurs because of a check that google implemented in Android 5.1 which compares /system/build.prop with the values found in /vendor/build.prop. If they differ you get that error message. All one has to do to get rid of the error is to change the 3 values in /vendor/build.prop according to the values in /system/build.prop.

Doing this manually after every flash is cumbersome so I created an update-zip that corrects the values in /vendor/build.prop in a generic way (it should work no matter what rom you use). It mounts /system and /vendor, extracts the relevant information from /system/build.prop and creates a new /vendor/build.prop. I successfully tested it on my nexus 9 so I decided to release it to all of you.

Just install it via your recovery and you are done! This has to be done every time you flash a new rom.

Tell me if it worked for you!

cheers, chris

Attachments

• vendor-build-prop-fix-signed.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 33,794

wfujay

Mar 4, 2012
Welp, I flashed this while flashing the AICP rom and GAPPS and now touch is completely broken on my device. No touch commands work, not even in recovery mode. So I flashed to stock + unrooted with the Nexus Toolkit and still no touch. I have no idea what to do next...lol.

fleischbanane

Welp, I flashed this while flashing the AICP rom and GAPPS and now touch is completely broken on my device. No touch commands work, not even in recovery mode. So I flashed to stock + unrooted with the Nexus Toolkit and still no touch. I have no idea what to do next...lol.

Have you flashed the stock vendor.img with fastboot?

Reactions: wfujay

gladiac

Nov 13, 2006
Vienna

Hey wfyjay,

sorry to hear about your nexus. Well, my fix only creates a property-file which stores version-information in /vendor and should have nothing to do with your touchscreen problem. However, as fleischbanane said, have you tried flashing the vendor image which is included in Google's factory image?

gladiac

Nov 13, 2006
Vienna
Yes this is what I did with the Nexus Toolkit when I stated I "flashed to stock + unrooted". I flashed the latest LMY47X build and still no touch commands work. :(

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well, that's odd. If you flashed back to stock then the vendor-partition (as well as all the other important partitions) must be in their original state. I'm afraid your touchscreen problem is unrelated to my fix. You could post a logcat (adb logcat) on the forum and someone might be able to figure something out or relock the bootloader and send your nexus in for warranty. I'm not sure if I can help you any further.

gladiac

Nov 13, 2006
Vienna
Could just avoid all of this and update bootloader and vendor to 5.1.1

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hey there,

well, the error occures as soon as the values in /vendor/build.prop do not match those in /system/build.prop. Most roms only flash /system - leaving /vendor completely untouched. And since most roms change /system/build.prop in every release which in the end causes the error message to appear. At the end of the day, there is no mechanism that ensures that the values of those two files actually match. In an ideal world, roms should provide /vendor as well. In a less ideal world, roms should patch /vendor/build.prop themselves. In _this_ world, roms just don't care so I created this update-zip.

Hope that clears things up,
cheers gladiac

Reactions: dmantilal

Anubis22666

Jan 17, 2015
Hello everybody,

this is a fix for the rather common build.prop variety problem on nexus 9 (and maybe others). This is the error-message that users often see after boot:

Android System
There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details.

The problem occurs because of a check that google implemented in Android 5.1 which compares /system/build.prop with the values found in /vendor/build.prop. If they differ you get that error message. All one has to do to get rid of the error is to change the 3 values in /vendor/build.prop according to the values in /system/build.prop.

Doing this manually after every flash is cumbersome so I created an update-zip that corrects the values in /vendor/build.prop in a generic way (it should work no matter what rom you use). It mounts /system and /vendor, extracts the relevant information from /system/build.prop and creates a new /vendor/build.prop. I successfully tested it on my nexus 9 so I decided to release it to all of you.

Just install it via your recovery and you are done! This has to be done every time you flash a new rom.

cheers, chris

I have been flashing and trying different ROMs lately and when I saw this internal problem message I got the fright of life, google search brought me to Ur life affirming thread, is it safe to use Ur fix on Samsung Note 4?

Thank U.

gladiac

Nov 13, 2006
Vienna
I have been flashing and trying different ROMs lately and when I saw this internal problem message I got the fright of life, google search brought me to Ur life affirming thread, is it safe to use Ur fix on Samsung Note 4?

Thank U.

Hey there,
to be honest - I don't know for sure. The note 4 does not seem to have a vendor-partition. Can you check with a file-manager if there is indeed no /vendor on the note 4?
cheers

Anubis22666

Jan 17, 2015
Hey there,
to be honest - I don't know for sure. The note 4 does not seem to have a vendor-partition. Can you check with a file-manager if there is indeed no /vendor on the note 4?
cheers

Therein lies the crux of the matter, I really am a novice since I shifted to Android a few months ago, so must apologise for my lack of knowledge and perhaps limited answers .. I do have a /vendor folder which clicked shows 3 folders (etc, firmware, lib) Another thing, I Dual boot two ROMs, have tried all kinds of ROMs, the trouble started when I flashed the latest EchoeRom Hybrid version with CMRemix latest version (12.6) I don't know which of the two created this issue.

Could U perhaps help me change these lines manually plz? Or direct me to a guide

Last edited:

gladiac

Nov 13, 2006
Vienna
Therein lies the crux of the matter, I really am a novice since I shifted to Android a few months ago, so must apologise for my lack of knowledge and perhaps limited answers .. I do have a /vendor file/folder which clicked shows 3 folders (etc, firmware, lib) Another thing, I Dual boot two ROMs, have tried all kinds of ROMs, the trouble started when I flashed the latest EchoeRom Hybrid version with CMRemix latest version (12.6) I don't know which of the two created this issue.

Could U perhaps help me change these lines manually perhaps? Or direct me to a guide

Alright, no problem. So you do have a /vendor folder. That's good! Is there also a file called build.prop in it? And if there is, does it happen to have the following 3 lines in it?:
  1. ro.vendor.build.date=something
  2. ro.vendor.build.date.utc=something
  3. ro.vendor.build.fingerprint=something
If it has those 3 lines - go ahead and try my apk. If it has more lines you can pm me the /vendor/build.prop as well as the /system/build.prop and I will have a closer look.

Reactions: Anubis22666

Anubis22666

Jan 17, 2015
Alright, no problem. So you do have a /vendor folder. That's good! Is there also a file called build.prop in it? And if there is, does it happen to have the following 3 lines in it?:
  1. ro.vendor.build.date=something
  2. ro.vendor.build.date.utc=something
  3. ro.vendor.build.fingerprint=something
If it has those 3 lines - go ahead and try my apk. If it has more lines you can pm me the /vendor/build.prop as well as the /system/build.prop and I will have a closer look.

Thank U so much for Ur kind help. :)

I checked, this /vendor folder doesn't have the 'build.prop' file in it,it has just three folders. Although /system folder does have the 'build.prop' file. See attachments, please

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-12-10-20-02.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-12-10-20-02.png
    147 KB · Views: 519
  • Screenshot_2015-09-12-10-23-38.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-12-10-23-38.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 503

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everybody,

Android System

cheers, chris

Hey wfyjay,

sorry to hear about your nexus. Well, my fix only creates a property-file which stores version-information in /vendor and should have nothing to do with your touchscreen problem. However, as fleischbanane said, have you tried flashing the vendor image which is included in Google's factory image?
    Is there anything like this for the 6P? or can I try this one?

Hi,
    there are no checks in this flashable ZIP so it should run just fine on any device. However, I did not test it on other devices. In theory it should work. The 6P has dm-verify active by default. I guess you would have to disable that to avoid getting an error message at boot telling you that your system was modified. This can be done with my FED-Patcher. Alternatively, you can flash Chainfire's boot.imgs to avoid the error.
    Have a nice day

Have you flashed the stock vendor.img with fastboot?
    Hello everybody,

Android System

cheers, chris

All these years later and this absolutely fixed my issue in one download and install through TWRP. Thank you!!!

Nexus 6P, Oreo 8.0 flashed to Lineage 15.0, no Gapps, TWRP version 3.2.1-0 (old, I know) still my favorite over any other phones I have built on since. And this fix is a game-changer.