[FIX] Camera green tint HTC One

Search This thread

tgeza

Apr 1, 2014
Anybody with a green tinted OV4688 camera - this is how to fix it:

ROOT + S-OFF needed (some even have permission problems with this setup, if that's the case try custom kernel like Elementalx, setting superCID or installing busybox)

1. Grab the below awb cal file from M8:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is96whezfpj5jz4/awb_cal

2. In ES file explorer enable root browsing, then set permissions of /sys folder and /sys/android_camera_awb_cal/awb_cal file to write

3. Replace the file (OVERWRITE, not delete and then paste) , force stop camera, clear data, cache and done!

Important: whenever you reboot this has to done as the file gets then overwritten by the kernel at boot

*UPDATE* There's a permanent fix available overcoming the reboot overwrite, you can find it later in this thread

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

tgeza

Apr 1, 2014
Sample shots before and after

Attachments

• 1399717212398.jpg
    1399717212398.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 5,950
  • 1399717221546.jpg
    1399717221546.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 5,743

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi
Sample shots before and after

You get green tint only when using flash or at all times? I am seeing the green tint only with flash, and in certain light conditions - and the tint is not everywhere it seems but in certain parts of the pic (will upload comparisons soon). But replacing the calib file with the one you shared fixes it completely!
Plus the camera replacement is off center - from the back glass I can see the lens and even the flash module off towards the left side by about 1-2cm though it doesn't seem to impede clicking pics in anyway (just annoying to see it that ways).

tgeza

Apr 1, 2014
I used to get it often, in sunlight, low light, cloudy days. Didn't try with flash as i dont use it much. Also had those tints in parts of the photo, so i think i know what you mean. Still there now sometimes but it's negligable.

My camera is also slightly misplaced, I dont care though as the shots are fine.

Glad it helped btw!

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi
I used to get it often, in sunlight, low light, cloudy days. Didn't try with flash as i dont use it much. Also had those tints in parts of the photo, so i think i know what you mean. Still there now sometimes but it's negligable.

My camera is also slightly misplaced, I dont care though as the shots are fine.

Glad it helped btw!

Seems with original calib file, images without flash are awesome (like they should be, especially in low light - outdoor the images appear over exposed), but with flash there is a green hue.

And with the downloaded calib file, images without flash in low light are grainy woth lot of noise and poor quality, but with flash they surpaas the quality of images shot with the original calib file.

So maybe I need to choose when to use flash (and thus replace calib file) and when not to - though I prefer not to use flash :)

With original calib file, with flash
anynu8az.jpg

With downloaded calib file, with flash
sebujequ.jpg

With original calib file, without flash (img 1)
tu2y5amu.jpg

With downloaded calib file, without flash (img 1)
yruhezut.jpg

With original calib file, without flash (img 2)
edadyvev.jpg

With downloaded calib file, without flash (img 2)
yqa4u3a2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dbaler

tgeza

Apr 1, 2014
Seems with original calib file, images without flash are awesome (like they should be, especially in low light - outdoor the images appear over exposed), but with flash there is a green hue.

And with the downloaded calib file, images without flash in low light are grainy woth lot of noise and poor quality, but with flash they surpaas the quality of images shot with the original calib file.

So maybe I need to choose when to use flash (and thus replace calib file) and when not to - though I prefer not to use flash :)

Whoa with the M8 awb I do get similar, though yellow tinted flash pics like you do with your *original* awb :) It seems ov4688s are not created equal and need their own calibration?

If you don't have overall green tints then in your case I'd just stick with the original awb!

Reactions: b99721

Nightf0x_007

Nov 5, 2012

ericiidx

Dec 19, 2012
Hello, I've a question. This is functional to purple-tint issue also? thanks.

No. The purple tint issue is a result of heat soak; the original camera sensor used in M7 production between roughly Feb - Sept '13 was either improperly insulated or susceptible to overheating, or both. It's purely a hardware issue that cannot be properly fixed through software (outside of forcing ISO 100 in all of your shots, which severely limits any advertised low light performance, and still likely doesn't fix the problem entirely.) If you have a valid warranty, the repair is free via HTC. Otherwise, HTC charges $90 for the part and service.

b99721

Apr 20, 2012
Delhi
Whoa with the M8 awb I do get similar, though yellow tinted flash pics like you do with your *original* awb :) It seems ov4688s are not created equal and need their own calibration?

If you don't have overall green tints then in your case I'd just stick with the original awb!

I upgraded to sense 6 without backin up my original awb calib file and now I hv grainy pics in low light. Tried restoring nandroid to get back the sense 5.5 file but that didnt work. Can you (or someone else here) please upload the original awb calib file from sense 5.5 rom for the OV4688 sensor. Need it badly.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

tgeza

Apr 1, 2014
I upgraded to sense 6 without backin up my original awb calib file and now I hv grainy pics in low light. Tried restoring nandroid to get back the sense 5.5 file but that didnt work. Can you (or someone else here) please upload the original awb calib file from sense 5.5 rom for the OV4688 sensor. Need it badly.

They must have added the one from the M8.

This is mine from 5.5, although i guess you'll get a lot of tint:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqauqzl0l5llyhw/awb_cal55

In low light I also get a lot of grain btw, to remove it just switch to night mode

Last edited:
Reactions: b99721

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
After getting the official Sense 6 build over the weekend, and I have the Omni ov sensor, I feel like green tint is worse, even in daylight now. Anyone experience the same? Just taking pics of trees, grass, green seems over abundant than on 5.5. Thoughts?

tgeza

Apr 1, 2014
After getting the official Sense 6 build over the weekend, and I have the Omni ov sensor, I feel like green tint is worse, even in daylight now. Anyone experience the same? Just taking pics of trees, grass, green seems over abundant than on 5.5. Thoughts?

I didn't get Sense 6 yet but I had the daytime green tint in 5.5 - the M8 awb solved it though. Did you try that already?

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
I didn't get Sense 6 yet but I had the daytime green tint in 5.5 - the M8 awb solved it though. Did you try that already?

Thanks.
Gonna give it a shot today. I've set write permissions on the sys folder and the file, but no luck copying yet. First I want to make a backup of my existing file. Can you post a screenshot of the permissions you've set on the folder and file?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anybody with a green tinted OV4688 camera - this is how to fix it:

ROOT + S-OFF needed (some even have permission problems with this setup, if that's the case try custom kernel like Elementalx, setting superCID or installing busybox)

1. Grab the below awb cal file from M8:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is96whezfpj5jz4/awb_cal

2. In ES file explorer enable root browsing, then set permissions of /sys folder and /sys/android_camera_awb_cal/awb_cal file to write

3. Replace the file (OVERWRITE, not delete and then paste) , force stop camera, clear data, cache and done!

Important: whenever you reboot this has to done as the file gets then overwritten by the kernel at boot

*UPDATE* There's a permanent fix available overcoming the reboot overwrite, you can find it later in this thread

Thanks! Attached is my init.d script that copies it over on boot.

1. In the last line, change the location of the M8 awb_cal file from /system/etc/awb_cal to wherever you put it
    2. Remove the .txt extension from the filename and place it in the /system/etc/init.d folder

Optional steps
    3. Script permissions should be rwxr-xr-x. In ARHD, this is automatically done on boot
    4. I didn't need to set permissions on /sys, but remove the # at the front of the third last line if you need to

Things to note:
    - I am running S-OFF, ARHD 71.1 and ElementalX, which means I have busybox installed and who knows what else write permissions
    - The script just automates the manual steps and performs it at boot. If the manual steps aren't working for you, I don't know if this script will help
    - I'm utterly confused why going SuperCID would solve the permission problem, but OK
    Possibly it will be 4.4.3, as far as I know HTC will skip the 4.4.4 update and will implement any fixes in the 4.4.3. However I'm waiting for an official word on the tint issue before I announce it here.
    Ok guys it's official. HTC Greece just informed me they are aware of the green tint issue in omnivision sensors, it is indeed a software/calibration issue and they plan to fix it with an upcoming software update. They weren't specific enough to mention if it will be a simple OTA patch or if it will be implemented in the 4.4.3 update but the point is this: they know about it and they are going to fix it soon :)
    Ok guys it's official. HTC Greece just informed me they are aware of the green tint issue in omnivision sensors, it is indeed a software/calibration issue and they plan to fix it with an upcoming software update. They weren't specific enough to mention if it will be a simple OTA patch or if it will be implemented in the 4.4.3 update but the point is this: they know about it and they are going to fix it soon :)

The 4.4.3 update seemed to slightly fix the Green tint issue. From my eyes, i noticed that green tinting is not as prominent but comparing to the XDA fix of using AWB_CAL file from M8, I still think the XDA fix works much better, the white is more accurate comparing to this update which has a colder tone.