• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Fix for Black/Blank Launcher Screen

Search This thread

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
So, i have been quietly been looking over the forums and have noticed that alot of users have "accidentally" deleted/disabled/removed their stock LG Launcher (com.lge.launcher2). This causes you to swipe UP to unlock your screen and be presented with a blank black screen.

While everyone is freaking out/pulling out their hair/swapping phones with their local dealer, i have come up with a way to get back to a launcher and go from there. I am not saying this is a fix for the stock launcher, i am merely showing a way to get back to a launcher PERIOD, the rest is up to someone more qualified than I.

This is assuming you have Rooted your phone (which got you into this mess in the first place)
1. If needed (as in, you can't get emails etc) then Hard Reset (battery pull, hold power and volume down, push power button twice)
2. when it reboots, go through the wizard and setup your email.
3. Using a computer, take the .APK i have posted here (ADW launcher) and email to yourself as an attachment. your phone will sound off when that email arrives.
4. Swipe down, open the email and install the attachment.
5. Reboot and Welcome back to the launcher!!

This worked for me when my ADW Launcher was wiped by a backup (my own fault, i will admit) and i just reinstalled GO Launcher from the market after that.

Attachments

• ADWLauncher.apk
    827.5 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:

aimhelix

Mar 5, 2011
I ran into this little problem the first time I rooted my phone. I debloated it and then thought of running a factory reset - the problem was I froze the stock LG Home launcher so I had no UI.

I was able to fix it by texting myself a www.google.com URL. I read the text through notifications, clicked the linked and it opened the browser. From the browser I entered the Market's URL and I navigated to NoBloat's page. I went to install it and there it gave me the option to open the app from which I was able to to unfreeze LG Home and then restart my phone :)

Reactions: repherb

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
Well there ya go, another way to get around this problem!!

Thanks aimhelix for your alternate workaround! Let's keep this up, i am sure these aren't the only ways to fix this problem!

detroitredwings

Nov 1, 2007
Houston, TX
hard reset

I ran into this little problem the first time I rooted my phone.

aimhelix, a bit unrelated question... was reading your other post about debloating and you've mentioned doing a hard reset.

So, here it goes:

Is going to Settings -> Privacy -> Factory data reset and resetting data does the same thing as

- Turn off phone, wait a few seconds.
- Press HOME + VOL DN + POWER until you see a warning for Hard Reset
- Press Power 2x to confirm
?

Thanks in advance.

[email protected]

Sep 24, 2007
aimhelix, a bit unrelated question... was reading your other post about debloating and you've mentioned doing a hard reset.

So, here it goes:

Is going to Settings -> Privacy -> Factory data reset and resetting data does the same thing as

?

Thanks in advance.
It's hard to do that when you don't have a launcher...and by the way, you don't need press HOME button or pull the battery out, VOLUP + POWER is enough

Last edited:

aimhelix

Mar 5, 2011

So, here it goes:

?

Thanks in advance.

No, not quite. A hard reset will wipe your internal SD card. I factory reset won't but it will also wipe user account info from the phone.

detroitredwings

Nov 1, 2007
Houston, TX
No, not quite. A hard reset will wipe your internal SD card. I factory reset won't but it will also wipe user account info from the phone.

Well, actually there is an option to wipe the microSD card using Factory Reset method. If you check this option, the card will be wiped.

While looking for an answer on other threads, my take is - these two methods are the same. Just wanted to get an extra opinion, since I'm completely new to android. Actually, this is for my son's Nitro phone:)

Thanks for your reply though. I followed your directions disabling the bloatware, very helpful:)

scott0

Dec 9, 2011
So, i have been quietly been looking over the forums and have noticed that alot of users have "accidentally" deleted/disabled/removed their stock LG Launcher (com.lge.launcher2). This causes you to swipe UP to unlock your screen and be presented with a blank black screen.

While everyone is freaking out/pulling out their hair/swapping phones with their local dealer, i have come up with a way to get back to a launcher and go from there. I am not saying this is a fix for the stock launcher, i am merely showing a way to get back to a launcher PERIOD, the rest is up to someone more qualified than I.

This is assuming you have Rooted your phone (which got you into this mess in the first place)
1. If needed (as in, you can't get emails etc) then Hard Reset (battery pull, hold power and volume down, push power button twice)
3. Using a computer, take the .APK i have posted here (ADW launcher) and email to yourself as an attachment. your phone will sound off when that email arrives.

This worked for me when my ADW Launcher was wiped by a backup (my own fault, i will admit) and i just reinstalled GO Launcher from the market after that.

this works perfectly, thank you.

I've attached the zeam launcher apk if folks, like me, want to use a different launcher for this

Attachments

• org.zeam-1.apk
    387.9 KB · Views: 152

[email protected]

Sep 24, 2007
Just go to the site, login with your google account (the one you used on the phone)
Then hit the "install" button of the app (this all on the site, nothing need to be downloaded to your computer)

All this assuming you had added google account on the phone before the problem started.

youngv408

Dec 7, 2010
Just go to the site, login with your google account (the one you used on the phone)
Then hit the "install" button of the app (this all on the site, nothing need to be downloaded to your computer)

All this assuming you had added google account on the phone before the problem started.

yea i see what u meant but yea i dont have this phone in the list ahhh im goin crazy haha

youngv408

Dec 7, 2010
In that case try send a text message to your phone with a link to the market (again, you can use gmail for that)

wait how..compose..the message....i tried it says invalid...lol
plz tell me

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

plz tell me

this i read
http://support.google.com/chat/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=106015

but i dont see anything that says send sms message

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

plz tell me

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

this i read
http://support.google.com/chat/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=106015

but i dont see anything that says send sms message

ima have my friend text me the link duuuhhh....hopefully i get out of this mess...

and how come this happened...wat did i do wrong...i just flashed original recovery.img ...whats the deal with the black screen

hippohelper

Jan 10, 2013

Thanks for this idea. But when I try to install the apk I get the 'There is a problem parsing the package' message and can't proceed. Any more thoughts?

hereric

Oct 27, 2010
Thanks for this idea. But when I try to install the apk I get the 'There is a problem parsing the package' message and can't proceed. Any more thoughts?

goto google play website and install it to your phone from there.

OR follow the unbricking guide in my signature which will allow you to revert to stock, AND install custom roms if you so desire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I ran into this little problem the first time I rooted my phone. I debloated it and then thought of running a factory reset - the problem was I froze the stock LG Home launcher so I had no UI.

I was able to fix it by texting myself a www.google.com URL. I read the text through notifications, clicked the linked and it opened the browser. From the browser I entered the Market's URL and I navigated to NoBloat's page. I went to install it and there it gave me the option to open the app from which I was able to to unfreeze LG Home and then restart my phone :)