fix for fastboot on windows 8.1

Search This thread

stuffed_tiger

Apr 19, 2013
There is a fix for people running Windows 8.1 who want to fastboot flash their phones.
It is fairly technical, so DO NOT attempt if you don't know what you are doing.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR COMPUTER.

Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\UsbFlags

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
Type 0BB40FF00100
for the name of the new key. (those are zeroes)

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click “Binary Value”.
Type SkipBOSDescriptorQuery
for the name of the Binary Value, and then press ENTER.

Right-click SkipBOSDescriptorQuery, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 01 00 00 00 , and then click OK.

Exit Registry Editor.

Unplug and re-plug your phone (if it was plugged in.)

I hope this helps!

SOURCE: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/26/why-does-my-usb-device-work-on-windows-8-0-but-fail-on-windows-8-1-with-code-43.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/26/why-does-my-usb-device-work-on-windows-8-0-but-fail-on-windows-8-1-with-code-43.aspx#10540998

I had to do a little work to get this fix to work, because when the phone is plugged in and in fastboot mode, it doesn't list a VID/PID/REV in device manager. The VID is 0BB4 (for HTC) / the PID is 0FF0 (which I am assuming is the Vivid, but only in fastboot mode. The phone in normal mode gets a PID of 0CBB) / the REV number is 0100 (for my phone. If this fix doesn't work, then this is most likely the reason: you have a different REV number.)

Last edited:

HTC_Vivid

Jan 2, 2013
Yo any tips for getting my Windows 10 x64 to recognize my HTC Vivid in Hboot/Fastboot?

I can mount fine from recovery, but I think there is something wrong with the recovery, and I can't reinstall it from recovery.