Fix for poor A2DP quality on 4.2.2

Search This thread

jpalo

Mar 17, 2007
Porvoo
Just wanted to share this here. There is clear audible decrease in audio quality on 4.2.2 when listening over bluetooth (A2DP). All the higher tones were somehow garbled, like cymbals, or high vocals, etc. I could clearly notice the poor quality on 4.2.2 on my car stereo and also the improvement after installing the fix on my stock rooted GN 4.2.2 (GSM). I haven't tested this on custom ROMs.

Steps:
  1. Root your phone, if not rooted
  2. Make Nandroid backup (in worst case, you might not be able to boot)
  3. Download bluetooth.default.so http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39632#c158 Also attached to this message.
  4. Download audio.a2dp.default.so http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39632#c163 Also attached to this message.
  5. In /system/lib/hw, rename bluetooth.default.so to bluetooth.default.so.bak (or whatever)
  6. In /system/lib/hw, rename audio.a2dp.default.so to audio.a2dp.default.so.bak (or whatever)
  7. Copy files to /system/lib/hw
  8. Set permission on both files to be same as with the original files (644)
  9. Restart phone

Attachments

• a2dp_quality_fix.zip
    415.7 KB · Views: 3,306
Last edited:

kitjacky13

Apr 22, 2008
Just wanted to share this here. There is clear audible decrease in audio quality on 4.2.2 when listening over bluetooth (A2DP). All the higher tones were somehow garbled, like cymbals, or high vocals, etc. I could clearly notice the poor quality on 4.2.2 on my car stereo and also the improvement after installing the fix on my stock rooted GN 4.2.2 (GSM). I haven't tested this on custom ROMs.

Steps:
  3. Download bluetooth.default.so http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39632#c158 Also attached to this message.
  4. Download audio.a2dp.default.so http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39632#c163 Also attached to this message.
  5. In /system/lib/hw, rename bluetooth.default.so to bluetooth.default.so.bak (or whatever)
  6. In /system/lib/hw, rename audio.a2dp.default.so to audio.a2dp.default.so.bak (or whatever)
  9. Restart phone

hey man !! u made my day !! thanks a lot !!! :)

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
From CM Team I got reply once for my question about Bluetooth A2DP audio streaming. They said the CM Bluetooth files are not compatible with stock android ROM. So I didn't dare to test the A2DP file but I just downloaded latest night and I took that Bluetooth audio .so file and worked.

Thanks for information that the files worked on your nexus.. :D

interesting, what was your question? because i feel like the CM bluetooth quality has gone down too

Carlos_Manuel

Apr 28, 2011
Kuressaare
interesting, what was your question? because i feel like the CM bluetooth quality has gone down too

I asked information about the bluetooth files for A2DP streaming fix..

CM's Bluetooth quality (I mean A2DP streaming quality) is much better than on stock ROM.

I noticed the difference when I tested CM10.1 first Nightly of JB 4.2.2..

skottema

Oct 17, 2010
I have been looking for something like this!!! Thank you! What exactly does it do? Does it increase the bitpool of the stream?

FYI, I just noticed that it changed my bluetooth device name to "Nexus 4" which can easily be changed back in the bluetooth settings...

Last edited:

Darkryft

Jun 27, 2010
Is it possible/likely that in addition to fixing issues with quality, this will also resolve the high-speed playback problem? A few other people and myself have experienced BT audio streaming where it plays back way too fast in the car. So far there doesn't seem to be a qualified fix for it. I'm interested to try this and see what happens - just wanting to see if anyone knew for certain ahead of time.

hitokiri.pr

Nov 23, 2010
From CM Team I got reply once for my question about Bluetooth A2DP audio streaming. They said the CM Bluetooth files are not compatible with stock android ROM. So I didn't dare to test the A2DP file but I just downloaded latest night and I took that Bluetooth audio .so file and worked.

Thanks for information that the files worked on your nexus.. :D

I have tested this fix in a Rooted Stock Nexus 4. So they are compatible with stck ROM. Just FYI.

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
CM10.1 has the A2DP austio straming fix and I'm using some CM10.1 BT files on my ROM..
No sense to add the files to CM10.1 when it's fixed in CM10.1.. :D

Interesting... I noticed the highs in my car seemed raspy a day before these were posted. I guess it was in my head

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

x-ravin

Apr 7, 2010
Thanks so much for posting this OP!!! I have been lamenting my purchase of the N4 until this fix. The phone is now perfect! Well aside from no voice search for music like Siri (Google Voice search never pulls up my music).

tshelby73

Dec 18, 2011
Gillette
I finally fixed my Bluetooth in call audio.I switched back to 4.1. This really sucks as I got used to 4.2.2 pull down toggles. I really hope Google gets this straightened out. This fix does help the Bluetooth audio streaming but my work truck and headset are not A2DP and when in call the volume seems to fade in and out. My Subaru has A2DP and made music easy to listen too but in call still seemed bad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

MrRimmer

Nov 10, 2008
Any chance this fix works on non-Nexus hardware? Since moving to a JB phone from one running ICS I have lost two very useful facilities - Llama being able to pick up cell changes without the screen being on and good quality BT audio.

tshelby73

Dec 18, 2011
Gillette
Not sure if this will help anyone else but found doing factory reset fixed most of my 4.2.2 Bluetooth issues. Ota gave me issues. When 4.2.2 Google factory image was released I fastboot flashed it did a factory reset immediately and all seems to work fine but id tags for songs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Steps:
    9. Restart phone
    IT WORKED!!!!

Thank you very much!

I was all excited about my new GNEX, then I started playing music through bluetooth in my car and the sound I heard could only be described as: "scraping filthy garbled garbage cans being drug across a pit of crap!"

I was soooo disappointed until I found a glimmer of hope in this thread.

I tried the given instructions with no adverse reactions and took my phone to the car for testing.

The sound was a complete 180! It was like if my ears could taste butter and feel warmth and beauty of magic plum fairies making a custard pie!

You fixed a huge problem with just a few steps. I am eternally grateful!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone