[FIX] for semi-brick on 3.15.651.16 JellyBean stock RUU

Search This thread

Fuses

Senile Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2012
The issue
If you flash new 3.15.651.16 JellyBean RUU and it only updates hboot to 2.09, phone might end-up in semi-bricked state.
RUU refuses to flash any other partition (even if bootloader is in locked/relocked state) so its impossible to return phone to stock rom.

Error message from fastboot flash zip is;
Code:
fastboot flash zip RUU.zip
sending 'zip' (659905 KB)... OKAY
writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...
INFOsignature checking...
INFOrom parsing start ...
INFOrom parsing finish ...
INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 22 loading zip info fail)

What is causing this
Hboot fails to read ruu-info from new encrypted zip after hboot-preupdate and stops flashing process.

Solution
Solution is to flash firmware.zip from JellyBean OTA. Firmware.zip is "old style" zip file, hboot can open this zip and update radio and sbls.

Fix
- Download JB OTA firmware from http://unlimited.io/jewel.htm
- Download fastboot executable (google)
- Put all files in one directory
- Reboot phone into fastboot mode
- Make sure that bootloader is Locked or Relocked. If bootloader is Unlocked, relock it with command fastboot oem lock
- Enter commands

Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash zip jewel_jb_ota_firmware.zip

NOTE:
If you see FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately) text after running fastboot flash zip command you have to run fastboot flash zip command again.

After this flash stock RUU again.

Permanent fix
- S-OFF your phone. With S-OFF phone you can always flash decrypted, unsigned and/or older RUU and get phone working again easily. :good:

Please report any success / failures into this thread. Also tell little bit information about your device, like;
- What hboot you had
- Was radio flashed through recovery
- Was hboot downgraded
- CID

Last edited:

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Wow fuses, this is gonna help A LOT of people. This community is really lucky to have your attention. Thanks. :thumbup::beer:

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

tankerkevo

Jul 6, 2010
I ran this... Worked to a T. Debating whether or not to s-off...

But, this did in fact update my radios..

Phenomenal. Just to be clear with what I did...

Ran Fuses instructions. Then I did the RUU GUI update in Windows... back to stock, Tampered in bootloader removed. Testing the stock radios and what not, but so far it's perfect.

cloves

Apr 25, 2008
*** Phone has to be RELOCKED****

I am not sure if I am successful or not right now. Phone is showing HTC black screen with green bar below it. The green bar is not ALL the way across, looks like 95% after running the commands. Not sure what to do so I issued "fastboot reboot"

Phone looks to be in bootloop so I got back into HBOOT.

First I relocked the phone. Rebooted. Then Rebooted into fastboot.
Then ran commands, screen shots are attached.

Seeing this message after running commands:
FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

Changes noticed in Bootloader:
My RADIO updated from 1.02.12.0427 to 1.12.11.1119
OpenDSP updated from OpenDSP-v25.1.0.32.0405 to OpenDSPv31.1.0.45.0815

Update:
Put the phone into fastboot and then ran the windows Jellybean RUU. Looked like the RUU got about 98% thru and then gave me a USB error. Then the phone rebooted and it looks like everything updated. Phone is booting into JellyBean. Should I retry installing the RUU?

Attachments

• Android-Command1.jpg
    Android-Command1.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Android-Command2.jpg
    Android-Command2.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 874
  • Android-Command3.jpg
    Android-Command3.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:

aankush

Oct 18, 2009
My 4G LTE was on HBOOT 2.09
Tried to S-OFF and downgrade HBOOT by DirtyRacun
Was stuck at a point where the screen went blank for a long time

After that the phone does not power on...
Even the PC does not detect it...

Help please...

Fuses

Feb 28, 2012
My 4G LTE was on HBOOT 2.09
Tried to S-OFF and downgrade HBOOT by DirtyRacun
Was stuck at a point where the screen went blank for a long time

After that the phone does not power on...
Even the PC does not detect it...

Help please...

Fastest way to get support for DirtyRacun is to join #unlimited channel on freenode.
Lets keep this thread clean, semi-brick on 3.15.651.16 stock RUU stuff only.

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Well guys, time to add some info. If you lock and re-flash the RUU file and you get "SBL VERIFY FAILED" errors (but the RUU still completes) and you can't htcdev unlock (signature failed), you should use this fix. Helped me get my friend's phone S-off using Dirty Racun.

Reactions: scottspa74

un1ocked

Sep 24, 2011
Permanent fix
- S-OFF your phone. With S-OFF phone you can always flash decrypted, unsigned and/or older RUU and get phone working again easily. :good:

is this true?
if we're running stock JB (newer hboot), then we can downgrade it to stock ICS (older hboot) via RUU

Jeffrey4Free

Jan 11, 2013
Ontario
After I typed rebootRUU my screen changed to an HTC screen and stayed there for like 30 min, I tried to flash the zip but my phone wasn't recognized. But ever since that exact moment my computer has f***** up. Does anyone know why this happened

Fuses

Feb 28, 2012
After I typed rebootRUU my screen changed to an HTC screen and stayed there for like 30 min, I tried to flash the zip but my phone wasn't recognized. But ever since that exact moment my computer has f***** up. Does anyone know why this happened

Probably windows dropped fastboot-drivers. Try installing drivers again or use Linux, ubuntu live-cd works just fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The issue
    If you flash new 3.15.651.16 JellyBean RUU and it only updates hboot to 2.09, phone might end-up in semi-bricked state.
    RUU refuses to flash any other partition (even if bootloader is in locked/relocked state) so its impossible to return phone to stock rom.

Error message from fastboot flash zip is;
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip RUU.zip
    sending 'zip' (659905 KB)... OKAY
    writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...
    INFOsignature checking...
    INFOrom parsing start ...
    INFOrom parsing finish ...
    INFOzip header checking...
    INFOzip info parsing...
    FAILED (remote: 22 loading zip info fail)

What is causing this
    Hboot fails to read ruu-info from new encrypted zip after hboot-preupdate and stops flashing process.

Solution
    Solution is to flash firmware.zip from JellyBean OTA. Firmware.zip is "old style" zip file, hboot can open this zip and update radio and sbls.

Fix
    - Download JB OTA firmware from http://unlimited.io/jewel.htm
    - Download fastboot executable (google)
    - Put all files in one directory
    - Reboot phone into fastboot mode
    - Make sure that bootloader is Locked or Relocked. If bootloader is Unlocked, relock it with command fastboot oem lock
    - Enter commands

Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot flash zip jewel_jb_ota_firmware.zip

NOTE:
    If you see FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately) text after running fastboot flash zip command you have to run fastboot flash zip command again.

After this flash stock RUU again.

Permanent fix

Please report any success / failures into this thread. Also tell little bit information about your device, like;
    - What hboot you had
    - Was radio flashed through recovery
    - Was hboot downgraded
    - CID
    -- Reserved --
    Seek out soul shadow . He's usually in the stickied threads in original development. He seems to know a hell of a lot about this phone and bricks/semi bricks

Cloves

Rerun the ruu. Just hit the up arrow and then enter

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Well guys, time to add some info. If you lock and re-flash the RUU file and you get "SBL VERIFY FAILED" errors (but the RUU still completes) and you can't htcdev unlock (signature failed), you should use this fix. Helped me get my friend's phone S-off using Dirty Racun.