[Fix]Forgetting WiFi Passwords on Reboot

Search This thread

Geofferey

Jan 1, 2011
Long Beach, CA
I'm writing this post today because I recently purchased a Galaxy S6 from a shop that had its IMEI repaired without knowing it. The two major problems I experienced with the phone were due to a damaged DRK (Device Root Key) and wifi passwords not being remembered after reboots. The solution for forgotten wifi passwords turns out to be fairly simple so I will document here... This should also work on other devices that have similar issue.

Your device will need to be rooted for this procedure.

Several post throughout XDA recommend setting ro.secure.storage=false in build.prop to work around the issue, which isn't a solution. I'm not knocking whoever came up with it, but there are problems with that approach. One you will lose some of the security your device has to offer & two you will never be able to use WiFi conveniently on a straight stock ROM without root.

The problem is caused by having damaged ss_data (secure storage data) inside your devices EFS partition probably because someone messed around in there. Whether it was Samsung through an OTA or some user trying to "repair" the IMEI the fix is easy.

To repair this issue backup EFS partition with TWRP and make sure a copy resides on your PC. Then use a root file explorer to delete ss_data in /efs. Reboot, fill in wifi settings, reboot again and prosper. You may now install a stock ROM, OTA updates, etc without wifi connectivity issues on reboots.

DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN EFS!!!

I found the solution here:
http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f452/i9505-no-wifi-after-unlock-1827968/

Last edited:

LivinOne

Mar 27, 2008
Are there any services or apps that could cause this problem if they are disabled?

I just tried deleting ss_data and my wifi passwords are still gone after reboot.

roussa77

Sep 3, 2018
I'm writing this post today because I recently purchased a Galaxy S6 from a shop that had its IMEI repaired without knowing it. The two major problems I experienced with the phone were due to a damaged DRK (Device Root Key) and wifi passwords not being remembered after reboots. The solution for forgotten wifi passwords turns out to be fairly simple so I will document here... This should also work on other devices that have similar issue.

Several post throughout XDA recommend setting ro.secure.storage=false in build.prop to work around the issue, which isn't a solution. I'm not knocking whoever came up with it, but there are problems with that approach. One you will lose some of the security your device has to offer & two you will never be able to use WiFi conveniently on a straight stock ROM without root.

The problem is caused by having damaged ss_data (secure storage data) inside your devices EFS partition probably because someone messed around in there. Whether it was Samsung through an OTA or some user trying to "repair" the IMEI the fix is easy.

To repair this issue backup EFS partition with TWRP and make sure a copy resides on your PC. Then use a root file explorer to delete ss_data in /efs. Reboot, fill in wifi settings, reboot again and prosper. You may now install a stock ROM, OTA updates, etc without wifi connectivity issues on reboots.

Your 2016's thread just gave life back to my Wifi and Bluetooth on my S6, man you are the real MVP!

Reactions: Geofferey

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Your 2016's thread just gave life back to my Wifi and Bluetooth on my S6, man you are the real MVP!