[FIX] Getting a N8013 on a German ROM Back to U.S. 4.1.2 [UPDATED: 16JAN]

Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Finally, a complete and official U.S. N8013 JB ROM is available. So here are updated instructions for N8013 users that have previously used Odin to install a N8000/10 ROM on their devices. To get back to "stock." Read the entire post as its been updated. For sure your device is no longer "official" and has had its binary counter advance to "1+." Option one may not correct those things and we won't know until someone reports back. So if you're OK potentially living with those things just use option one. If you're not, either wait for someone to report back on the affects of applying option one or go directly to option two.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

N8013 owners who flashed the official German N8010 Wi-Fi JB ROM have had their flash counters advance with the status of their device showing "custom." This matters for two possible reasons. 1) Some DRM-sensitive apps look for the status of "official" to run and crap out if any other status is present. 2) Samsung will be able to tell that "non-official" s/w has been running on the device (even though it's their's) if you send it in for warranty service. How big a deal the DRM issue is depends on the apps you're using and the biggest issue reported so far is the AllShare Cast Dongle doesn't work properly on devices showing "custom." For warranty issues Samsung's typically very forgiving and, unlike some OEMs, doesn't look to blame s/w for h/w issues (EG: display goes bad, charging connector failure, etc.).

There are two possible paths to get back to "official" status and a flash count of "zero."

Option One

Download the new US. N8013 4.1.2 JB update here ( http://hotfile.com/dl/189276711/f83...GT-N8013-XAR-N8013UEUCMA3-1357740396.zip.html ) and re-load that via Odin over the N8010 German ROM. After installing it, reboot your device in to download mode again by holding "power/volume up" as it restarts. What does the following say? If it still shows System Status "custom" and Custom Binary "1+" you have choices. With a "non-official" status (custom) you'll have issues with DRM sensitive apps. To get back to official, see option two below. If your system status is "official" but your binary count is 1+ you may just want to live with that. If you send your Note in for warranty service Samsung will see that non-standard s/w has been run on it at some point. Historically, they've been very liberal in repairing unrelated h/w issues on devices that have been running non-standard s/w. If it bothers you or you don't want to take a chance see option two below. After you've applied option one report back with your experience so others can know what to expect.

Option Two

Below are instructions to solve the problem but they require rooting and then un-rooting. After following the procedure your device will be "stock." If you're doing this after you've already installed the new N8013 4.1.2 JB ROM you're in essence starting over by installing a pre-rooted version of the original ICS s/w. Once the process is complete you'll have an unrooted stock ICS Note (again) with a status of "official" and binary count of "zero." Afterward, you can just allow your Note to find the JB update and download it via OTA. Or you can use Kies. If both those fail you can just re-load the complete JB ROM via Odin as above. After you've done this report back with your experience so others can know what to expect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are some good basic instructions from another forum. On the "advanced" scale from 1-10 they are somewhere between a "5" and a "7." In other words, you can harm your device if you don't follow the instructions properly so please, ask questions first, run s/w later.

If you want to be completely stock without losing data....

First odin flash cf auto root for stock recovery

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1957002

Once you're on the page from the above link scroll down to find this file to download.

Then download supersu again

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ce=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=supersu

Then download triangle away

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...SwyLDEsImV1LmNoYWluZmlyZS50cmlhbmdsZWF3YXkiXQ..

Run triangle away as root

Then go to super su and full unroot

0 flash counter

Stock recovery

Unrooted

Profit.

If your device Status is Modified.... Factory Reset will make it Official.Soooo Unless you need to return your phone, leave it alone.

Always make a stock rooted backup whenever you root and you can revert back to stock in minutes without factory reset

This took me 2 hours to figure without losing apps or data. So hit the thanks if it helped

Last edited:

Andy847

Oct 5, 2012
N8013 owners who flashed the official German N8010 Wi-Fi JB ROM have had their flash counters advance with the status of their device showing "custom." This matters for two possible reasons. 1) Some DRM-sensitive apps look for the status of "official" to run and crap out if any other status is present. 2) Samsung will be able to tell that "non-official" s/w has been running on the device (even though it's their's) if you send it in for warranty service. How big a deal the DRM issue is depends on the apps you're using and the biggest issue reported so far is the AllShare Cast Dongle doesn't work properly on devices showing "custom." For warranty issues Samsung's typically very forgiving and, unlike some OEMs, doesn't look to blame s/w for h/w issues (EG: display goes bad, charging connector failure, etc.).

There are two possible paths to get back to "official" status and a flash count of "zero."

1) Wait for Samfirmware or Samsung-Updates to post a complete N8013 JB ROM and re-load that over the N8010 German ROM. Some folks here did a file dump from a U.S. N8013 running JB but did it in a non-standard way so you can't use Odin to install it. It won't be known for sure that this will reset the status to "official" until a stock ROM that can be installed via Odin is tested by someone. I'd expect an official version of the U.S. JB ROM that can be flashed via Odin to appear in the next few weeks. If after this the device status remains "custom" step two below will be required to get back to "official" again.

2) Below are instructions to solve the problem but they require rooting and then un-rooting. After following the procedure your device will be "stock." At this point in time, I'd only follow this procedure if you want to go back to ICS to be "official" when the JB update for the N8013 is pushed out OTA/Kies from Samsung. Otherwise you're better off seeing what happens after an Odin-installable N8013 JB ROM is released as shown in number one above. Even still, if your ultimate goal is to be 100% officially "stock" on the final JB ROM for the U.S. when it's released, you're better off waiting and performing this procedure when that ROM is in our hands. The only reason I could think of wanting to do this now and go back to ICS would be to resolve DRM issues you might be experiencing.

These are some good basic instructions from another forum. On the "advanced" scale from 1-10 they are somewhere between a "5" and a "7." In other words, you can harm your device if you don't follow the instructions properly so please, ask questions first, run s/w later. Anyone here that knows a way of making this faster, easier, and/or safer please chime in.

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to wait a few weeks and see if I can just do step one and see if it fixes the "Official" status and resets the Binary counter. If not, I'll have to try the Root, Triangle Away, Unroot method in Step two. I've never rooted, so that step worries me a little. Right Now, very happy with the German 8010 JB running on my 8013, with no problems. Just wish there was a way to get 4.1.2 on it. Really want to see the part of adding any app to the Multiview function.

Last edited:

stevezor

Dec 31, 2010
Quick question:
Could anyone explain to me why my flash counter is at 4?
I flashed my Note first via the two step method. Saw the "custom" status so I flashed the full JB over it (the one step method). So shouldn't the counter read 3?

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Apr 27, 2011
I posted a couple if times in the original thread but I will post here again.

I have an 8013 with the german rom and it has been working great,. Including
the wifi dongle.

I got rid of the "custom" status in the settings menu. I did this by booting into recovery mode and
doing a factory reset from there. I ha already tried factory reset from the settings menu (not booted
into recovery) and that did not work.

Anyway this is simple enough so I would suggest a few others try this and post back with results.

Reactions: BarryH_GEG

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Anyway this is simple enough so I would suggest a few others try this and post back with results.

Will someone else try this? Factory resetting to get back to "official" is one of the steps in the post from the other forum I referenced in option two above so it would be fantastic if, on its own, it got the N8013 back to stock status without jumping through hoops. There are two ways to do a factory reset: 1) via settings while your Note is running, and 2) via recovery which Dual_Everything is referencing.

Here's how to do a reset from recovery. Turn your Note off. When it restarts, press power and volume up at the same time. You'll see the recovery menu below. Select "wipe data/factory reset."

To see what affect it's had, turn off your Note. When it restarts, press power and volume down. Volume up at the "are you sure?" menu. What does the below say in the upper left corner? (Long press power to reboot your Note out of download mode.)

This could be huge if doing a factory reset from recovery restores the device to "official" and/or resets the flash counter.

trish7679

Dec 18, 2012
Did not work for me

This (meaning factory resetting) did not work for me. Although I changed my CSC when applying the German ROM to my 8013, thus it's possible that's why it did not work for me.

Last edited:

Andy847

Oct 5, 2012
I did this above method, when nothing changed after I did the two-step, then one-step method. I wiped data/factory reset from recovery mode. It didn't change anything. This was last week, been running German JB fine on my 8013. Now I just did above 2nd step without doing a recovery factory reset, to see what my binary counter was at, Binary Counter: Yes (4 counts), current binary: Custom, and System Status: Custom . Now I tried to long press the Power button as stated above, and i'm stuck on the screen which has the green android guy, says Downloading... and under it Do not turn off target!! I'm just trying to boot out of download mode and nothing happens. Is this because I didn't do a recovery factory reset? Is there a way to get out of this. Appreciate any help someone could give me.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I did this above method, when nothing changed after I did the two-step, then one-step method. I wiped data/factory reset from recovery mode. It didn't change anything. This was last week, been running German JB fine on my 8013. Now I just did above 2nd step without doing a recovery factory reset, to see what my binary counter was at, Binary Counter: Yes (4 counts), current binary: Custom, and System Status: Custom . Now I tried to long press the Power button as stated above, and i'm stuck on the screen which has the green android guy, says Downloading... and under it Do not turn off target!! I'm just trying to boot out of download mode and nothing happens. Is this because I didn't do a recovery factory reset? Is there a way to get out of this. Appreciate any help someone could give me.

There's nothing you did that should have borked it. Hold down the power button for a really really long time and it should reboot. If it is stuck in download mode plug it in to Odin and see if it shows up. If it does, just reload the ROM you're already running. It won't hurt anything.

Reactions: Andy847

Andy847

Oct 5, 2012
There's nothing you did that should have borked it. Hold down the power button for a really really long time and it should reboot. If it is stuck in download mode plug it in to Odin and see if it shows up. If it does, just reload the ROM you're already running. It won't hurt anything.

Yeah, I figured it out Barry, thanks though for getting back to me quickly. I was long pressing the power button and nothing happened. So finally saw the Odin Mode at the top and figured out to just reload the German JB ROM again, Worst thing I probably did is just add another time to the binary counter. This why I hope when the U.S. JB comes out and I try your other post about going back to U.S. ICS to get the update, I don't have to Root to get "Official" and binary to NO. A lot more steps in that and worried I'll mess something up. So far you've made Loading the German JB so easy. Appreciate the help to guys like me who are noobs.

oneday9x

Jan 12, 2013
I tried the above method too. went to the recovery mode and do the reset, but it still haven't work out. Anyways thank you so much for your help with 4.1.1 BarryH_GEG. Please help us to get back to the US stock ASAP!

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I'll get right on it... ;)

i-dream-of-jeannie.jpg

chuck-b

Jan 12, 2013
Binary count

I tried the above method too. went to the recovery mode and do the reset, but it still haven't work out. Anyways thank you so much for your help with 4.1.1 BarryH_GEG. Please help us to get back to the US stock ASAP!

Hi.
New to forum and new to Odin.

Tried to reset using above method too, but still have a binary count and unable to recieve OTA updates.

Using the N8013 in the UK
Downloaded the ICS UK firmware from Samfirmware
Used to install the firmware - binary count = 2
Connected with Kies and updated to JB - binary count = 4
Used Samsung Galaxy CSC to change country code to BHT (UK) - binary count = 6

JB firmware worked without any issue, but just because, decided to re-install ICS using Odin
Binary count changed to 8
Finding that count kept increasing, and didn't reset when ICS installed, decided to revert back to JB
Tablet didn't restart so re-installed JB
Found I had to reset tablet (power on and volume up) to complete installation

I've just checked the binary count by holding power button and volume down

Odin mode
Product name: GT-N8013
Custom binary download: Yes (12 count)
Current binary: Custom
System status: Custom

Was going to root, use triangle away, unroot to remove custom marking, but will now wait for N8013 JB firmware release and put back to standard

Not sure why binary increased by 2 with each mod!!!

Last edited:

russeini

Sep 6, 2009
Revert to stock ICS for n8013 using Odin....it will get stuck on Samsung logo while booting after installing.....go to stock recovery, wipe data factory reset.....should boot into system....root nd triangle away with cf....then install stock ics n8013 again nd wait for official jellybean :) all stock....binary 0... official recovery nd system.......peace of mind :)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: chuck-b

chuck-b

Jan 12, 2013
Revert to stock ICS for n8013 using Odin....it will get stuck on Samsung logo while booting after installing.....go to stock recovery, wipe data factory reset.....should boot into system....root nd triangle away with cf....then install stock ics n8013 again nd wait for official jellybean :) all stock....binary 0... official recovery nd system.......peace of mind :)

Thanks.
I just couldnt do without JB :D
It is a much better experience, but ive noticed a slight lag sometimes with the keyboard, but it could be me with inaccurate fingers!

chuck-b

Jan 12, 2013
Tried to reset country code but no option to selet XAR which I think is original code (according to samfirmware)
Do I need to reset it, or will I be ok leaving it as BTU (UK setting)??

TheOneChristo

Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Will someone else try this? Factory resetting to get back to "official" is one of the steps in the post from the other forum I referenced in option two above so it would be fantastic if, on its own, it got the N8013 back to stock status without jumping through hoops. There are two ways to do a factory reset: 1) via settings while your Note is running, and 2) via recovery which Dual_Everything is referencing.

Here's how to do a reset from recovery. Turn your Note off. When it restarts, press power and volume up at the same time. You'll see the recovery menu below. Select "wipe data/factory reset."

To see what affect it's had, turn off your Note. When it restarts, press power and volume down. Volume up at the "are you sure?" menu. What does the below say in the upper left corner? (Long press power to reboot your Note out of download mode.)

This could be huge if doing a factory reset from recovery restores the device to "official" and/or resets the flash counter.

This did not work for me. Could it be because I still had the German update installed? I'm going to try flashing 4.0.4 for the 8013 first and then factory resetting to see what happens.

chuck-b

Jan 12, 2013
I now have my N8013 back to stock

Flashed ICS 8013 firmware using Odin
Carried out a factory reset
Status is back to official - didn't need to change country code either

The wait for the JB release is back on
Come on Samsung!!!!!

TheOneChristo

Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I now have my N8013 back to stock

Flashed ICS 8013 firmware using Odin
Carried out a factory reset
Status is back to official - didn't need to change country code either

The wait for the JB release is back on
Come on Samsung!!!!!

Favor to ask, where'd you find the ICS 8013 firmware?
Thanks!

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally, a complete and official U.S. N8013 JB ROM is available. So here are updated instructions for N8013 users that have previously used Odin to install a N8000/10 ROM on their devices. To get back to "stock." Read the entire post as its been updated. For sure your device is no longer "official" and has had its binary counter advance to "1+." Option one may not correct those things and we won't know until someone reports back. So if you're OK potentially living with those things just use option one. If you're not, either wait for someone to report back on the affects of applying option one or go directly to option two.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Option One

Download the new US. N8013 4.1.2 JB update here ( http://hotfile.com/dl/189276711/f83...GT-N8013-XAR-N8013UEUCMA3-1357740396.zip.html ) and re-load that via Odin over the N8010 German ROM. After installing it, reboot your device in to download mode again by holding "power/volume up" as it restarts. What does the following say? If it still shows System Status "custom" and Custom Binary "1+" you have choices. With a "non-official" status (custom) you'll have issues with DRM sensitive apps. To get back to official, see option two below. If your system status is "official" but your binary count is 1+ you may just want to live with that. If you send your Note in for warranty service Samsung will see that non-standard s/w has been run on it at some point. Historically, they've been very liberal in repairing unrelated h/w issues on devices that have been running non-standard s/w. If it bothers you or you don't want to take a chance see option two below. After you've applied option one report back with your experience so others can know what to expect.

Option Two

Below are instructions to solve the problem but they require rooting and then un-rooting. After following the procedure your device will be "stock." If you're doing this after you've already installed the new N8013 4.1.2 JB ROM you're in essence starting over by installing a pre-rooted version of the original ICS s/w. Once the process is complete you'll have an unrooted stock ICS Note (again) with a status of "official" and binary count of "zero." Afterward, you can just allow your Note to find the JB update and download it via OTA. Or you can use Kies. If both those fail you can just re-load the complete JB ROM via Odin as above. After you've done this report back with your experience so others can know what to expect.

These are some good basic instructions from another forum. On the "advanced" scale from 1-10 they are somewhere between a "5" and a "7." In other words, you can harm your device if you don't follow the instructions properly so please, ask questions first, run s/w later.

If you want to be completely stock without losing data....

First odin flash cf auto root for stock recovery

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1957002

Once you're on the page from the above link scroll down to find this file to download.

Then download supersu again

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ce=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=supersu

Then download triangle away

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...SwyLDEsImV1LmNoYWluZmlyZS50cmlhbmdsZWF3YXkiXQ..

Run triangle away as root

Then go to super su and full unroot

0 flash counter

Stock recovery

Unrooted

Profit.

If your device Status is Modified.... Factory Reset will make it Official.Soooo Unless you need to return your phone, leave it alone.

Always make a stock rooted backup whenever you root and you can revert back to stock in minutes without factory reset

This took me 2 hours to figure without losing apps or data. So hit the thanks if it helped
    Favor to ask, where'd you find the ICS 8013 firmware?
    Thanks!

Here's a link to Samsung-Updates Hotfile posting of the original N8013UEALI3 ROM...

http://hotfile.com/dl/177432499/eb4...8013_XAR_1_20120918195236_k2xfp2k9el.zip.html

There were updates after it and your device should find them once you get back to the original ROM. If it doesn't and you want to apply them you'll find them here...

http://www.samfirmware.com/
    I posted a couple if times in the original thread but I will post here again.

I have an 8013 with the german rom and it has been working great,. Including
    the wifi dongle.

I got rid of the "custom" status in the settings menu. I did this by booting into recovery mode and
    doing a factory reset from there. I ha already tried factory reset from the settings menu (not booted
    into recovery) and that did not work.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone