• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[FIX] Help With Recovering Google Pixel 4a Soft Brick

Search This thread

DoctorCue

Aug 1, 2021
Hello everybody. I am new to rooting, I ended up soft bricking my device after I rooted it properly, and I'm not sure how to go about reflashing the rom from a soft brick. I am using android studio as my command line, and I am unable to enter fastboot using down volume and power. When booting to recovery mode the pixel displays No Command and I am unable to input anything. I have the stock rom for my device (bramble-rq1a.201205.011) and have already properly rooted it.

When I went to install several modules from the magisk manager my phone bricked and I am attempting to recover it. The main issue I have run into is that I cannot flash anything onto my pixel. My computer only recognizes the device when it is booted into recovery mode and it is listed as unauthorized. When I attempt to reboot the bootloader using >adb reboot-bootloader it lists that the device is unauthorized and This adb server's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set.

From what I understand the reason it is denying access is due to my device not having usb developer access but I'm not sure how to enable it since I am unable to access the device. I installed magisk prior to me bricking it and I have the backup image, the magisk patched image and the stock rom.

I am convinced that I can reflash all and reroot the device entirely again, but I don't know what to do from here, I have enabled the Google USB Driver in Android Studio and I can provide additional information if needed. Thanks for the help in advance.

a1291762

Nov 20, 2012
yasmar.net
I am unable to enter fastboot using down volume and power.
Hold volume down when booting. If you got the timing wrong try again.

Also when the bootloader complains about you being rooted I'm fairly sure there's an option for getting to fastboot?
When booting to recovery mode the pixel displays No Command and I am unable to input anything.
Yeah, that's normal. You don't want recovery, you want fastboot.
I have the stock rom for my device (bramble-rq1a.201205.011) and have already properly rooted it.
The pixel 4a is sunfish?!

I don't know what you are trying to do, but you will want to do one of two things.

1. Flash or boot the vanilla boot img to temporarily disable Magisk and use Magisk Manager to disable modules for when you boot up rooted again.

2. Boot TWRP and disable the modules from the cli (only if you know what you are doing).

Both need access to fastboot.

DoctorCue

Aug 1, 2021
I have managed to get to the fastboot mode since you were right and I was timing it wrong. When I attempt to check for my device it does not show up under a list of devices, so I'm not sure if I can flash the image to my pixel even though I am in fastboot mode. I have attached a picture of the output for reference.
I simply wish to unbrick my device so I can use it again. I would rather keep my device rooted and uninstall whatever modules caused the issue in the first place.
If I flash the vanilla image does it uninstall magisk and reset everything to factory settings, or does it just temporarily disable it (I'm not sure how this works)? I don't know how to disable modules from cli using TWRP, but I am willing to learn, so if there are any resources I can use to research what this is and how to use it I would be thankful is I was pointed in the right direction.
If anyone has a list of common commands for rooting and an explanation of how they work I'd be thankful for that as well. Which commands do I need to flash the vanilla boot image? >adb flash imageName.img?

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 13

a1291762

Nov 20, 2012
yasmar.net
When I attempt to check for my device it does not show up under a list of devices

Since you are in fastboot, you need to use the fastboot tool, not adb.

if I flash the vanilla image does it uninstall magisk and reset everything to factory settings, or does it just temporarily disable it (I'm not sure how this works)?

If you flash the vanilla boot.img, you are only removing Magisk. but you need to flash the correct image or it won't boot. Each month is a new image.

Maybe this would be easier?

See here (about safe mode)

And here (for how to do it on a pixel)