• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[FIX][i9300][26/10/2013]Camera stopped working, error on Samsung based ROMs

Search This thread

Gorgtech

Sep 3, 2012
Nuremberg
I want to offer you a little fix for those of you who actually experience this problem. On some Samsung based ROMs, some people complain about not working cameras, no matter how often they tried to install a ROM after several wipes. This error may occur in case your camera uses a different firmware.

Most people however won´t experience this error.

I´ve created a little Fix which is actually very easy to apply as a flashable zip. It was intended to be used with my Samsung Galaxy S3 ROM, it may also work with every other Samsung based ROM ;)

Here is the link: Camera Fix for Samsung based ROMs
Simply install this file through your custom recovery ;)

Just in case this patch should not work for everyone, leave me a comment and I´ll see what I can do :angel:

Last edited:

Gorgtech

Sep 3, 2012
Nuremberg
This fix includes one missing binary which some specific cameras require in order to be able to be used.

If you don´t have any trouble starting the camera app, using the camera, you don´t need to flash this zip ;) Even if everything works fine and you do install this fix, it wouldn´t harm your system ;)

What does it do?

Sent from my CM10.3 Galaxy S3.

Reactions: 2wayRadio

g.ott

Jan 2, 2013
just flashed it, doesn`t work for me unfortunately. :crying: :crying: :crying:

i have this problem you told of since a very long time and i really can't get rid of it. makes me fckn sick. i could cry on and on.

what else is possible to do? every litte hint is very much appreciated.

Gorgtech

Sep 3, 2012
Nuremberg
There are more binaries available, the one I included is a more common one. Samsung uses 2 different cameras ( Sony or Samsung ).

Does your camera work 100% with a Stock ROM ? If so, have a closer look in /data/cfw and show me what you find inside ( eg. SlimISP_xx.bin ).

Flash a Stock Firmware, make sure to copy the file and add it here as a zip file. By installing custom ROMs, your cfw folder will be empty most the time if these files are not added by the ROM itself.

i have this problem you told of since a very long time and i really can't get rid of it. makes me fckn sick. i could cry on and on.

g.ott

Jan 2, 2013
hi guys,

thx a lot for your words. here is what i've done:

i just flashed a stock rom and the camera works. then i installed cf root and root explorer but /data/cfw is an empty folder. so i can`t copy anything here.

with the custom rom and the cam not working i had a file like SlimlSp00.bin (or something similar) in this particular folder but not now.

what to do now or did i misunderstand something?

There are more binaries available, the one I included is a more common one. Samsung uses 2 different cameras ( Sony or Samsung ).

Does your camera work 100% with a Stock ROM ? If so, have a closer look in /data/cfw and show me what you find inside ( eg. SlimISP_xx.bin ).

Flash a Stock Firmware, make sure to copy the file and add it here as a zip file. By installing custom ROMs, your cfw folder will be empty most the time if these files are not added by the ROM itself.

Gorgtech

Sep 3, 2012
Nuremberg
Just out of curiosity, did you try to remove this file ? Maybe your camera tries to load this binary though it´s not suitable for your model. You can try to create a different folder and first copy the found bin ( just to have a spare copy ), remove SlimlSpxxx out of your data/cfw folder.

Wipe your Dalvik Cache and restart the ROM ;)

hi guys,

thx a lot for your words. here is what i've done:

i just flashed a stock rom and the camera works. then i installed cf root and root explorer but /data/cfw is an empty folder. so i can`t copy anything here.

with the custom rom and the cam not working i had a file like SlimlSp00.bin (or something similar) in this particular folder but not now.

what to do now or did i misunderstand something?

g.ott

Jan 2, 2013
this idea didn't come up of course :rolleyes:

but i just tested it. i already had my custom rom backup restored. i moved the SlimlSP_BH.bin to my ext sd, so that /data/cfw was empty, rebooted to recovery, wiped dalvik and it doesn't worked. second try i wiped cache and dalvik and it also doesn`t work.

Just out of curiosity, did you try to remove this file ? Maybe your camera tries to load this binary though it´s not suitable for your model. You can try to create a different folder and first copy the found bin ( just to have a spare copy ), remove SlimlSpxxx out of your data/cfw folder.

Wipe your Dalvik Cache and restart the ROM ;)

Gorgtech

Sep 3, 2012
Nuremberg
If your camera doesn´t work with this binary, you may need another one..and there are lots of them to try but you have to chose one which is suitable for a Sony or a Samsung camera ;) Well, there is a easier way out if you try to upgrade your camera firmware.

Before we proceed, I need some details first, which type of camera you have in order to pick up a suitable binary.

1) Dial *#34971539#
2) pick up this option: "Phone/Cam FW Check"
3) Show me what you see
4) Chose this option: "Phone/Cam FW Write"

A short explanation :

GDxxx = Sony

ZFxxx = Samsung

but i just tested it. i already had my custom rom backup restored. i moved the SlimlSP_BH.bin to my ext sd, so that /data/cfw was empty, rebooted to recovery, wiped dalvik and it doesn't worked. second try i wiped cache and dalvik and it also doesn`t work.

Last edited:

g.ott

Jan 2, 2013
alright, i for sure will give you every information you need.

under "phone/cam fw ver check" i see

rear camera
cam fw ver: GDF
phone fw ver: GDFI02

front camera
cam&phone fw ver: S5K6A3

"Phone/Cam FW Write" isn't available in that form. options with "write" are only "phone to cam fw write (rear)" (but this is greyed out so i can't touch it) and "fw write count".

If your camera doesn´t work with this binary, you may need another one..and there are lots of them to try but you have to chose one which is suitable for a Sony or a Samsung camera ;) Well, there is a easier way out if you try to upgrade your camera firmware.

Before we proceed, I need some details first, which type of camera you have in order to pick up a suitable binary.

1) Dial *#34971539#
3) Show me what you see

A short explanation :

GDxxx = Sony

ZFxxx = Samsung

Ricky Divjakovski

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Feb 4, 2013
Sydney
I want to offer you a little fix for those of you who actually experience this problem. On some Samsung based ROMs, some people complain about not working cameras, no matter how often they tried to install a ROM after several wipes. This error may occur in case your camera uses a different firmware.

I´ve created a little Fix which is actually very easy to apply as a flashable zip. It was intended to be used with my Samsung Galaxy S3 ROM, it may also work with every other Samsung based ROM ;)

Just in case this patch should not work for everyone, leave me a comment and I´ll see what I can do :angel:
about time someone done this! thanks! i thought i corrupted the drivers, but thats for the fix!

metalgearhathaway

Oct 6, 2009
Cookley
Dude, brilliant, this works on KitKat roms also, I have spread the word and linked your thread to the benefit of all.

Thank you :)

Sent from my GT-I9300

metalgearhathaway

Oct 6, 2009
Cookley
does this really work? can someone add it to aosp code then? @XpLoDWilD @CarbonDev

Well it works perfectly for me, but @Moster2 says the md5 checksum is identical to the files already in place, but it works. I'm both happy but mildly confused! If you get the issue it's obviously with trying! You only need to flash the rom to remove it, so it's of no concern to try:)

Sent from my GT-I9300

metalgearhathaway

Oct 6, 2009
Cookley
Well it works perfectly for me, but @Moster2 says the md5 checksum is identical to the files already in place, but it works. I'm both happy but mildly confused! If you get the issue it's obviously with trying! You only need to flash the rom to remove it, so it's of no concern to try:)

Sent from my GT-I9300

I'm wrong, this method went wayward for me in the end :banghead:

Sent from my GT-I9300

purplecircle

Aug 19, 2009
Well done. Works perfectly.

I tried just about everything I could find regarding fixing the camera in my S3, including manually replacing the Camera2.apk and this is the first fix I tried that actually works. Thanks for putting the time and effort in to solve this annoying problem.

Reactions: kris_l

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have tried to download it but links are down. Is there amy workaround?
    https://app.box.com/s/zcwniaps08w10hhdfbas

JustArchi_camera_fix_everything.zip

1) Dial *#34971539#
    3) Show me what you see

A short explanation :

GDxxx = Sony

ZFxxx = Samsung

If that fix not help you can maybe make a camera fw upgrade.

[tapatalk]printed, scanned and faxed...[/tapatalk]