[Fix] Jelly Bean SMS Warning Dialog

Search This thread

erishasnobattery

Jun 17, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Some of you may have noticed in Jelly Bean, that if you text a lot, it tells you to knock it off with an annoying little dialog. Although I applaud Google's efforts to alert us to possible unwanted behavior from a malicious app, they may have been a bit overzealous with their thresholds.

JRO03H had a limit set of 100 messages in 30 minutes, which probably kept all but the most avid texters in the clear. However, when we merged to JRO03L last week, it had dropped to 30 in 30 minutes. Personally, I think it was a typo and should have been 300, but either way, it triggered on me so I set out to fix it.

That being said, it is corrected in the next build of Paradigm and committed to our public source for any dev that needs to fix it for their own ROM. However, in the meantime, I made a nifty little app that will fix it. It very simply writes a new maximum value to the settings database upping the maximum to 500 messages. The fix is "permanent" until you clear data. After that, it would need to be applied again.

There are two versions of the app, one signed with BAMF keys for our ROM, and the other signed with AOSP keys which should work fine on almost every other ROM. If not, have your favorite developer resign it with their keys and I'll add a link to the post. This fix should work on ANY Jelly Bean ROM for ANY device, but is completely untested outside of the Galaxy Nexus.

Please note, you are essentially disabling a security feature put in by Google, and we CANNOT be held responsible for any adverse effects this may have on your device.

Download for BAMF ROMs: http://www.teambamf.net/files/file/39-bamfsmsfix-bamf-keysapk/

Download for AOSP ROMs: http://www.teambamf.net/files/file/40-bamfsmsfix-aosp-keysapk/

Flashable zip for CM based ROMs that prevent install: http://www.teambamf.net/files/file/41-smsfixapkflasherzip/

Last edited:

crixley

May 25, 2012
this is awesome! thanks a lot, I've been looking for something to fix this. hitting allow over and over again gets annoying

akira02rex

Nov 7, 2010
I just applied it to paranoid android. How do we know it actually worked besides SMS bombing someone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

erishasnobattery

Jun 17, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Also, the second dialog tells you immediately if it failed for some reason.

But really, if it installs and runs, there is no way for it not to work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
Any chance of a screenshot of the dialogue that pops up, or a quick way to send 100 texts without writing them all out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

malibu_23

May 18, 2007
Chicago
Any chance of a screenshot of the dialogue that pops up, or a quick way to send 100 texts without writing them all out.

62cea2e5-acef-e472.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Sup with all the permissions? Does this need root?

erishasnobattery

Jun 17, 2010
St. Louis, MO
62cea2e5-acef-e472.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Sup with all the permissions? Does this need root?

Permissions are inherited because it's a system app. And no, it doesn't need root, because it's a system app.

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
So it doesn't block all msgs from sending? Just makes you allow them to send.

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well that's annoying, o can't imagine trying to keep a conversation going if you gotta keep agreeing.

shreddintyres

Aug 25, 2010
Richardson, Tx
Well I'm on the international gsm version using stock jb from that should that not be the same as aosp? Sorry I'm a little confused

Thanks for this awesome fix in either case

erishasnobattery

Jun 17, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Well I'm on the international gsm version using stock jb from that should that not be the same as aosp? Sorry I'm a little confused

It's the same, but if it's from the carrier, they use their own keys.

Reactions: shreddintyres

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some of you may have noticed in Jelly Bean, that if you text a lot, it tells you to knock it off with an annoying little dialog. Although I applaud Google's efforts to alert us to possible unwanted behavior from a malicious app, they may have been a bit overzealous with their thresholds.

JRO03H had a limit set of 100 messages in 30 minutes, which probably kept all but the most avid texters in the clear. However, when we merged to JRO03L last week, it had dropped to 30 in 30 minutes. Personally, I think it was a typo and should have been 300, but either way, it triggered on me so I set out to fix it.

That being said, it is corrected in the next build of Paradigm and committed to our public source for any dev that needs to fix it for their own ROM. However, in the meantime, I made a nifty little app that will fix it. It very simply writes a new maximum value to the settings database upping the maximum to 500 messages. The fix is "permanent" until you clear data. After that, it would need to be applied again.

There are two versions of the app, one signed with BAMF keys for our ROM, and the other signed with AOSP keys which should work fine on almost every other ROM. If not, have your favorite developer resign it with their keys and I'll add a link to the post. This fix should work on ANY Jelly Bean ROM for ANY device, but is completely untested outside of the Galaxy Nexus.

Please note, you are essentially disabling a security feature put in by Google, and we CANNOT be held responsible for any adverse effects this may have on your device.

Download for BAMF ROMs: http://www.teambamf.net/files/file/39-bamfsmsfix-bamf-keysapk/

Download for AOSP ROMs: http://www.teambamf.net/files/file/40-bamfsmsfix-aosp-keysapk/

Flashable zip for CM based ROMs that prevent install: http://www.teambamf.net/files/file/41-smsfixapkflasherzip/
    How do you do this manually?

Edit settings.db. add the line that is highlighted and reboot.

uploadfromtaptalk1345873324090.jpg

Updated here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2039351 [APP][ROOT][4.0+] SMS Limit Tool

It's the same, but if it's from the carrier, they use their own keys.

SMS limit manual removal for 4.2.1

Edit settings.db. add the line that is highlighted and reboot.

View attachment 1281428

I tried to modify the table secure and have no effect.
    I triend to find the variables from the picture and found them in the global table instead of the secure one.
    So I added the values to the table global instead of the secure one and it works!
    I am using 4.2.1
    I hope this help some people.