• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[FIX] No Power Button Menu And No Lockscreen

Search This thread

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
New Update: Icenight89 made this into a cwm flashable fix. Great work bro :)

Check out his thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1611796

--- Old Post ---

Update. I fixed it !!

I was goofing with chroot / Linux in the loop which apparently caused my issue. Random things appear to cause it as any root application can modify this partition ( I'd bet to keep the screen from locking with the screen timing out as it could interrupt a long install ). Neither Nandroid backups , Odining to stock, or factory resets touch the /efs partition. I would absolutely reccommend manually copying the contents somewhere using a root explorer (making a safe backup)!!! We need to talk to the creater of our cwm to see if they can add /efs in the nandroid backup process.

Here is how to fix power menu on long press :

Use a root explorer and paste this file to /efs/imei
( don't worry its just a string and a value )

http://db.tt/Pk2U8Nws

This file also fixes lock screen. Just reboot!!

Hope this helps a few of you out ! If so please drop me a thanks ! :-D Also go to the Dewizzed thread under android development and thank RK ( RoyalKnight ). I couldn't have figured this out without him giving me a dump of his good efs partition to compare it to !!

--Original Post --

Hello,

I seldom post looking for assistance or guidance, however im at my wits end with this phone. I was using the linux installer on the market ( Chrooted Linux subsystem ) and in the process borked my rom. I reinstalled from backup and I have no power button pop up menu for shutting down. It immediately kills / shuts off the phone without a confirmation if you hold the power button for a second.

What i have tried:
Nandroid backups ( Both stock and prior custom installs )
I Odin'd to stock
I Odin'd CWM
I reinstalled the radio via cwm
Installed fresh roms to test

Ive looked all over the web and it looks like some others had the same problem and fixed it by taking a photo ( yes its odd but its fixed others ) and enable/disable secure credentials. Neither of those have resolved the issue.

Does anyone else have any ideas? The phone runs fine aside from the power button no longer having a menu. I put my phone in my pocket and have had it pop up to shut down in the past.... im positive it will get turned off if i dont constantly check to see if its on.

Any ideas? I saw somewhere where another dev created an advanced power menu adding recovery / reboot to the menu. There has to be a way to re-bind it to the power button!

Oh, and i just checked. I have no lock screen either! Ugh!

Last edited:

ApexZeph

Sep 12, 2011
North Bay
Ive had this same issue, you must have used one of the "secret codes" for the phone to disable it.

Type *#*#7594#*#* from dialer and hit dial then uncheck the only option that appears...to re enable lockscreen and power menu

I tried to test but it doesn't work for me anymore I'm guessing cause I'm now running juggs and the dev removed that particular option but I had the EXACT same problem the first month I had the phone and was on stock rom it had me frustrated beyond reason I'm a very security conscious person and lock screen not functioning is simply unacceptable.

If the code doesn't work try searching "7594 t989" or something as im positive this is your issue and that is the right code but I'm not positive of the "#*" order in the code. Try it, and if it actually dials out instead of taking you to a hidden menu its wrong.

Please hit thanks if I've helped you! =]

Sent from my SGH-T989

Reactions: pyraxiate

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
Ive had this same issue, you must have used one of the "secret codes" for the phone to disable it.

Type *#*#7594#*#* from dialer and hit dial then uncheck the only option that appears...to re enable lockscreen and power menu

I tried to test but it doesn't work for me anymore I'm guessing cause I'm now running juggs and the dev removed that particular option but I had the EXACT same problem the first month I had the phone and was on stock rom it had me frustrated beyond reason I'm a very security conscious person and lock screen not functioning is simply unacceptable.

If the code doesn't work try searching "7594 t989" or something as im positive this is your issue and that is the right code but I'm not positive of the "#*" order in the code. Try it, and if it actually dials out instead of taking you to a hidden menu its wrong.

Sent from my SGH-T989

Well, It was already unchecked sadly. What part of the firmware controls this? I thought it would be radio but ive already flashed a new radio....... it shouldnt be persistant.

I checked it, rebooted, unchecked it rebooted.... still the same. ugh. I gave you a thanks anyway. Any other ideas?

My last shot will be to flast an ATT kernel/radio/rom via Odin if i dont have any other options. Im hoping it should wipe out this issue

The interesting thing is Golocker will work with golauncher installed :/

Last edited:

ApexZeph

Sep 12, 2011
North Bay
Well I'm completely befuddled man I appreciate the thanks but when I heard you describe the literal EXACT same problem I had I was certain it was the same thing. Perhaps its the fault of the custom rom that the option is unticked but actually on? I suppose the issue could be originating from another source but with symptoms as specific as yours (both lock screen and power menu gone) it makes me think it may still be connected to what I mentioned. I'm no dev tho so I can't give you much technical support. Hopefully others see this thread and can go on what we have discussed. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed the fix didn't work since we had the same issue that obviously is a deal breaker.

Your saying its the radio cause you flashed nandroid and didn't fix issue?

I remember flashing a nandroid as well and it didn't help at all.

Sent from my SGH-T989

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
Well I'm completely befuddled man I appreciate the thanks but when I heard you describe the literal EXACT same problem I had I was certain it was the same thing. Perhaps its the fault of the custom rom that the option is unticked but actually on? I suppose the issue could be originating from another source but with symptoms as specific as yours (both lock screen and power menu gone) it makes me think it may still be connected to what I mentioned. I'm no dev tho so I can't give you much technical support. Hopefully others see this thread and can go on what we have discussed. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed the fix didn't work since we had the same issue that obviously is a deal breaker.

Your saying its the radio cause you flashed nandroid and didn't fix issue?

I remember flashing a nandroid as well and it didn't help at all.

Sent from my SGH-T989

Unfortunately this isnt a rom related issue. I was thinking that MAYBE the radio controlled it but even that im not so sure of anymore. I even had the exact same issue when I reverted back to stock via Odin...... Sigh

I actually flashed everything possible via Odin ( recovery , stock image , stock kernel , stock radio )

Looks like im stuck using Go Launcher + Go Locker until i can figure this out ( yes i am a security conscious person too )

Here is what i installed https://market.android.com/details?id=com.galoula.LinuxInstall&hl=en

I may need an expert on what exactly the linux installer does to our devices >.> I was under the impression that it used the loop interface and ran the guest OS off of /data. Apparently something deeper went on there :(

Last edited:

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
Factory reset will fix it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Hmmmmmmm did you read my OP?

I appreciate the input but im well beyond just factory resetting it. Ive already reverted to backups via CWM, Ive flashed new roms via CWM, Ive used Odin and flashed back to stock kernels / OS, Ive flashed a new CWM. Ive flashed new radios via CWM, And of course wiped data/cache/dalvik/system/ext-sd. My partitions were wiped, ( All to include my data storage and SD card )

Any other possible suggestions?

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
Research shows that /efs Might have something to do with the lock screen. Playing around with it now :) ( its the 1 partition which doesn't get touched during Odin / cwm flashes )

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1326265043998.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326265043998.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 710

zender2k

Sep 12, 2007
Hmmmmmmm did you read my OP?

I appreciate the input but im well beyond just factory resetting it. Ive already reverted to backups via CWM, Ive flashed new roms via CWM, Ive used Odin and flashed back to stock kernels / OS, Ive flashed a new CWM. Ive flashed new radios via CWM, And of course wiped data/cache/dalvik/system/ext-sd. My partitions were wiped, ( All to include my data storage and SD card )

Any other possible suggestions?

I've read your post. The same thing happened to me. After a fresh flash, no power menu, no lockscreen, reboot after touching power button. Again, factory reset fixed it.

fg

Aug 3, 2006
FWIW, I have the same symptoms (no lock screen, no power menu) running on rooted stock rom and can say that factory reset has not fixed it, nor has any of the other fixes in threads discussing this issue (*# codes, etc). Still looking for a solution, but wanted to clarify that there doesn't seem to be "one master fix" for people experiencing the issue

Last edited:

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
Are you referring to the factory reset within the settings menu ? I haven't tried that yet but I have used cwm's factory reset to no avail. I've odin'd back to stock which should be better than a factory reset as it rewrites all partitions ( efs aside ). Ill try it now and report back

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
FWIW, I have the same symptoms (no lock screen, no power menu) running on rooted stock rom and can say that factory reset has not fixed it, nor has any of the other fixes in threads discussing this issue (*# codes,

Hi there, I'm looking into it but I think we suffer from a corrupt efs partition. I know our phone isn't the 9100 but it appears to be common there. I have someone dumping their efs for me and I'm going to wipe mine and replace it with his. I've researched and there are only two files I'd need to rewrite ( and nv data doesn't appear to be there...odd )

I'm going to get creative and see if i can't figure this out for us. I've used an efs backup tool to back mine up, format and restore mine already so I know we have access to the partition.

We do have a ton of memory blocks / partitions so I'm hoping the issue isn't with one of the others. If the efs isn't it, I'm going to look at the dump someone posted to try to figure this out ( replacing mine one by one after creating a dump of mine first )

fg

Aug 3, 2006
Hi there, I'm looking into it but I think we suffer from a corrupt efs partition. I know our phone isn't the 9100 but it appears to be common there. I have someone dumping their efs for me and I'm going to wipe mine and replace it with his. I've researched and there are only two files I'd need to rewrite ( and nv data doesn't appear to be there...odd )

I'm going to get creative and see if i can't figure this out for us. I've used an efs backup tool to back mine up, format and restore mine already so I know we have access to the partition.

We do have a ton of memory blocks / partitions so I'm hoping the issue isn't with one of the others. If the efs isn't it, I'm going to look at the dump someone posted to try to figure this out ( replacing mine one by one after creating a dump of mine first )

Funny you should mention efs and post about it so quickly. After my post, i started reading through some of the other threads on the subject during lunch and found this post which talks about a missing file in the /efs directory which i hadn't noticed before:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19388122&postcount=19

All the other threads were talking about test modes and other random things which I *may* have done, but had no memory of. The post about efs struck a cord and I do remember messing with the files there for no good reason when I first got the phone and having made a backup of the directory.

Looking through my backup, I saw a number of files that were no longer in /efs, including the /efs/imei/keystr file containing nothing but the word ON. I quickly copied over the missing files from my backup to /efs using Total Commander (my favorite file manager) and without even a reboot, both the lock screen and power menu have returned.

Coming back to this thread to update my previous message, you were already going down the same path. I have a feeling only the keystr file was needed in my case, but I restored everything to be a) safe and b) if I can't remember what I was doing in /egs, it obviously wasn't useful or important.

This fixed my problem, hopefully it will fix yours as well. I will post a listing of what was in my working and non-working /efs later today for further reference

zender2k

Sep 12, 2007
Are you referring to the factory reset within the settings menu ? I haven't tried that yet but I have used cwm's factory reset to no avail. I've odin'd back to stock which should be better than a factory reset as it rewrites all partitions ( efs aside ). Ill try it now and report back

Yes! "factory data reset" under settings > privacy

fg

Aug 3, 2006
/efs differences

Reviewing the contents of /efs between my original copy and what was currently on my phone, the following 4 files were missing from my /efs directory:

/efs/cryptprop_rebootMode : 1 byte file, empty
/efs/cryptprop_sdcard : 5 byte file with the word NULL
/efs/imei/bt.txt - 23 byte file with the word bt_macaddr:HEXBTMACADDR
/efs/imei/keystr - 2 byte file with the word ON

If someone can create a sticky master thread for known lockscreen & power menu causes and tested solutions, it would be AMAZING! :)

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Yes! "factory data reset" under settings > privacy

Doesn't work for everyone!

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
A factory reset only wipes /data /cache /sd-ext. When you install a new rom generally those are replaced as well as /system. Using Odin , those plus the radio are wiped clean and replaced.

My friend just copied his /efs for me. He used a tool to create a backup ( efs.img ) and just by creating the backup, it created the no lockscreen / power menu symptom. /Efs absolutely has something to do with this problem. He fixed his issue by copying the backup from his sd card to the /efs partition so this is looking promising. I'm copying files back and forth testing as I write this.

I may have found the cause and solution ! :-D

G

GuestK00468

I've read your post. The same thing happened to me. After a fresh flash, no power menu, no lockscreen, reboot after touching power button. Again, factory reset fixed it.

I'm pretty sure your issue was due to a borked install of a program or the rom. Since you noted your lockscreen disappeared as well. Also your power button causes a reboot while ops is a power down. the factory reset is already what op did by wiping data and cache from recovery. Nice input though, all ideas are welcomed on these types of threads!!!

G

GuestK00468

A factory reset only wipes /data /cache /sd-ext. When you install a new rom generally those are replaced as well as /system. Using Odin , those plus the radio are wiped clean and replaced.

My friend just copied his /efs for me. He used a tool to create a backup ( efs.img ) and just by creating the backup, it created the no lockscreen / power menu symptom. /Efs absolutely has something to do with this problem. He fixed his issue by copying the backup from his sd card to the /efs partition so this is looking promising. I'm copying files back and forth testing as I write this.

I may have found the cause and solution ! :-D

Have you figured out the cause thay may have started this?

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
I was goofing with chroot / Linux in the loop. Random things appear to cause it.

I'm working on the lock screen now.
Edit :

This file also fixes lock screen. Just reboot ! ;-)

Hope this helps a few of you out ! If so please drop me a thanks ! :-D Also go to the Dewizzed thread and thank RK ( RoyalKnight ) I couldn't have figured this out without him giving me a dump of his good efs partition to compare it to !!

Last edited:

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
MODS
Please sticky this as its a fix and please change the post title to [Fixed] No Power Button Or Lockscreen

Thanks RoyalKnight. Couldn't have done this without your efs dump bro :)

First post updated with fix :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New Update: Icenight89 made this into a cwm flashable fix. Great work bro :)

Check out his thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1611796

--- Old Post ---

Update. I fixed it !!

I was goofing with chroot / Linux in the loop which apparently caused my issue. Random things appear to cause it as any root application can modify this partition ( I'd bet to keep the screen from locking with the screen timing out as it could interrupt a long install ). Neither Nandroid backups , Odining to stock, or factory resets touch the /efs partition. I would absolutely reccommend manually copying the contents somewhere using a root explorer (making a safe backup)!!! We need to talk to the creater of our cwm to see if they can add /efs in the nandroid backup process.

( don't worry its just a string and a value )

This file also fixes lock screen. Just reboot!!

Hope this helps a few of you out ! If so please drop me a thanks ! :-D Also go to the Dewizzed thread under android development and thank RK ( RoyalKnight ). I couldn't have figured this out without him giving me a dump of his good efs partition to compare it to !!

--Original Post --

Hello,

I seldom post looking for assistance or guidance, however im at my wits end with this phone. I was using the linux installer on the market ( Chrooted Linux subsystem ) and in the process borked my rom. I reinstalled from backup and I have no power button pop up menu for shutting down. It immediately kills / shuts off the phone without a confirmation if you hold the power button for a second.

What i have tried:
    Nandroid backups ( Both stock and prior custom installs )
    I Odin'd to stock
    I Odin'd CWM
    I reinstalled the radio via cwm
    Installed fresh roms to test

Ive looked all over the web and it looks like some others had the same problem and fixed it by taking a photo ( yes its odd but its fixed others ) and enable/disable secure credentials. Neither of those have resolved the issue.

Does anyone else have any ideas? The phone runs fine aside from the power button no longer having a menu. I put my phone in my pocket and have had it pop up to shut down in the past.... im positive it will get turned off if i dont constantly check to see if its on.

Any ideas? I saw somewhere where another dev created an advanced power menu adding recovery / reboot to the menu. There has to be a way to re-bind it to the power button!

Oh, and i just checked. I have no lock screen either! Ugh!

Sent from my SGH-T989
    simple fix for this problem

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20506622&postcount=2

at least it worked for me on my mostly pristine stock sgh-t898.

make sure you leave the box unchecked.
    I found a fix that worked on my device and flashed back to juggernaut and booted right up to the initial setup screen. Everything is now working how it should be.

What i did was:

1. flash SGH-T989-UnRoot_ROM_Zedomax.zip using recovery http://galaxys2root.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-t-mobile-galaxy-s2-sgh-t989/ should be able to download the file there. The link for download is posted down by the 2nd video

2. I then downloaded samsung kies on the computer, plugged my phone in via usb cable. After everything synced up it pushed an OTA update (2.3.6) getting everything back to stock, it booted right up to the initial setup screen.

=============================================

I was able to flash 2 different roms after this without any issue!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App
    Figured out the problem!

I figured out my problem! Appears that when I was creating the keystr file, I added the extension .txt ...
    So here is the solution that have been posted on other threads
    i actually figured out a way to restore my lock screen back.

Note: This involves messing with the efs folder. So do this at you own risk
    also, your phone must be rooted in order to do this.

Tools Needed:
    1. Hex Editor
    2. Root Explorer

Steps to restore:'
    1. Using root explorer locate the /efs/imei/ folder. In that folder there should be a file called keystr. In my case the file was missing which is why the lock screen was missing and was causing my problems.
    2. using root explorer create a new file called keystr
    3. also in root explorer open the file keystr in text editor and type ON
    4. now go into hex editor and locate the /efs/imei/keystr file.
    5. using hex editor the first two values in green should be 4f and 4e. all others should be 00.
    6. make sure you save the file.
    7. reboot.

Worked for me!
    Would be glad to hear that it worked for you too