• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[FIX] Pixel 3 QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx

Search This thread

aespinal

Dec 20, 2020
Hi, I have a Pixel 3 that won't turn on, won't charge, won't get into recovery mode, and gets recognized as QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx when connected to a pc. I am an ignorant regarding phones, flashing, etc... Is there any way of getting this phone to work again?

droidbot1337

Apr 2, 2013
Hi, I have a Pixel 3 that won't turn on, won't charge, won't get into recovery mode, and gets recognized as QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx when connected to a pc. I am an ignorant regarding phones, flashing, etc... Is there any way of getting this phone to work again?

if it doesnt power on then how are you connecting to the pc? i dunno about this but you might need to do some hard troubleshooting. replace the battery and if that doesnt work then you might have a bad motherboard.

Reactions: aespinal

aespinal

Dec 20, 2020
if it doesnt power on then how are you connecting to the pc? i dunno about this but you might need to do some hard troubleshooting. replace the battery and if that doesnt work then you might have a bad motherboard.
I'm just connecting it through USB to my pc, I have never rooted it, it was in perfect condition, the battery was healthy, it just happened overnight.

droidbot1337

Apr 2, 2013
I'm just connecting it through USB to my pc, I have never rooted it, it was in perfect condition, the battery was healthy, it just happened overnight.

Oh.... Okay. In that case, get into recovery by pressing vol+ and powering on. If that doesn't work, then get into fastboot and see if your pc detects your device.

salman22

May 28, 2008
Dubai

Interesting. I have the same problem and it started a few days back. Nothing would appear on screen, not even the charging sign if I plug it in. However, when i connect it to my PC, i get the same popup. It was a perfectly healthy phone until this. I have given it in to a repair shop here in Dubai as there's nothing much I could do with a black screen.

Papa_Nacho

Jan 17, 2021
I have this same issue. I was able to install QFIL and the Qualcomm driver, but I can't located the firehose (.mdn of .elf?) files to complete the steps in this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-how-to-return-to-stock-flash-images-with-qfil.3901510/.

Am I on the wrong track? Should I use this as an excuse to get a 4a?
Did this just happen to you today? I'm having the same issue. Wondering if google pushed an update or had a security breach or something that killed multiple phones.

averaVT

Jan 17, 2021
Last night around 11pm (EST). The phone was charging, I went to unlock it and nothing, just a blank screen.

twizted786

Nov 22, 2010
Sorry to necro this thread, but this literally just happened to me over night. Did anyone find any solutions or am I SOL?

sazeraque

Apr 17, 2021
OK, this is really getting weird. My wife's phone just did the exact same thing. I've never seen anything like this so I thought it was an oddball thing, but this thread tells me otherwise. I wonder if the Pixel 3 is just a ticking time bomb or if we all did something to brick them. I know in my case, I just recently (2 weeks ago) replaced her charger with an Anker charger from Amazon. Figured maybe that could be part of the reason. Anyone else have any suspicions as to what might have caused the issue? I'm going to work on trying to bring it back to life or at the very least recover as much information from the device as possible, so if anyone's already working on that, please share with the group!

Reactions: averaVT
Another Pixel 3 here, same symptoms - died overnight last night, no visible signals on the device but plugging to a pc shows QUSB_BULK. Can't detect the device with adb. Attempts to power cycle don't seem to achieve anything.

As far as causes, no idea. It picked up the monthly update earlier in the week and was rebooted then. No change to the way it had been getting charged.

ac43

Apr 26, 2021
Same thing happened to my Pixel 3XL last night. Reached out to Google support and they said the only option was to get it repaired for $380. Ended up picking up a Pixel 5 today instead.

vickyashokshah

Jan 7, 2013
Wow! This has to be some kind of major update done by Google to brick people's phone like this. This happened on my POCO F1 phone after connecting to a OnePlus Dash Charger. Be careful guys just take warranty services and hope you will at least get a refund on the amount you have invested.

TeeMack

Apr 28, 2021
Oh wow this literally just happened to me today. I picked my phone up from my desk and checked my notifications, put it down and then picked it up 10 minutes later and it was completely bricked. This is what Device Manager shows:

1619581325177.png

My phone was at 50-60%. I've tried everything. I guess next would be to let it die and see if it boots back up. I have some important data on this phone that wasn't backed up. I hope there's a fix :(.

evilsanity

Nov 14, 2016
Same thing happened to my Pixel 3 this morning. Everything was fine last night, woke up this morning and the phone won't turn on or reboot. Power button isn't responsive, Power button + Volume down to get into recovery mode is also not responsive. When I connect my phone to my PC I also get QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx.

I did some searching around and it sounds like the phone might be stuck in Emergency Download Mode? Anyone have a solution on how to fix this issue?

Phone is stuck in Qualcomm's Emergency Download (EDL) mode. We need a signed, model specific "firehose" programmer to be able to restore an OS. While some manufacturers publish these files, Google does not. Unless one leaks for our specific model, Google has just destroyed our phones and rendered them useless while we slept. Don't go out and by another Google phone because they just killed your current one.

bigwatch

May 11, 2021
Anyone have any luck finding the "firehose" / "mbn" file for the pixel 3? Mine crapped out a few days ago just like others described above. It had no physical damage whatsoever.

sifatrhmn

Sep 20, 2012
Dhaka
Same thing happened to my Pixel 3 this morning. Everything was fine last night, the phone won't turn on or reboot. Power button isn't responsive, Power button + Volume down to get into recovery mode is also not responsive. When I connect my phone to my PC I also get QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx SN:xxxxxxxx.

Stuck in Emergency Download Mode? Anyone has a solution on how to fix this issue?

Anyone has the solution !! Please help :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: !!!​

Reactions: BDroidz

BDroidz

May 14, 2021
Same issue here, set it on the table and came back 15 minutes later. Black screen, QUSB_BULK_CID when attached to PC USB, and reboot into recovery attempts unsuccessful. Mine also did an OTA update within the last week.

Very frustrated but more than that... have important files and can't get them off the device. Has anyone been able to retrieve their files at least?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There was apparently a software fix in one of the updates so if you make sure it's on the latest firmware you should be fine.

I question that there has been any fix. I have a bone stock (developer options enabled) 3xl which I bought new from google. Woke up yesterday January 3rd used phone for an hour, set it on my desk and 15 minutes later was DOA, stuck in EDL mode. I was on android 12 with the latest updates available.
    Happened to my unlocked, vanilla Pixel 3 (ordered 1/20/2019), in EDL mode and non responsive to any button combo, shows in device manager QUSB.

I believe I was at the most recent version of 12, non-beta. Last night, I was in Play Store and updated Messages app to latest, along side a Carrier Update and some others (can not recall). I also uninstalled a selection of apps to free up space. This morning, I woke up to a bricked phone.

I have been on Android 12 for a couple weeks, no issues until today. Curious about the Carrier Update (and/or possibly another one). As much as I am willing to believe this is some major neglect on Google's software... even possibly planned obsolescence, I have a feeling it (great source, I know!) that it may have to do with the flash storage reaching it's limits. Not trying to excuse, just searching for an explanation like us all.

I have the device protection plan with Google Fi. Spoke with their support, the first go around we went through the obvious steps. I even sent a screenshot of the device showing up in device manager, including S/N. When that went no where, the support rep said we could skip the device repair and go straight to replacement. He mentioned that the replacement would be "with whatever they had in stock" and I had some hope of getting a new/refurb 4 or higher. Unfortunately, I got the replacement email and it was for the exact same model Pixel 3, storage and color, refurbished. I contacted support again, and asked to cancel my RMA as I did not want another Pixel 3. I also shared how this issue seems to be common, sent them the Google Issues link, and that Google needs to make the firehose file available to end users to allow them access to their phones stuck in EDL mode. The rep said there was nothing they could do. The RMA cancellation had to be raised to their next tier of support, and that I would be contacted via email by said support. Still awaiting that email as of this post. I will also broach the topic of making the firehose available to end users.

I starred the issues tracker, since no more comments can be entered.

I also filled out the class lawsuit form, any pressure is good so long as it ends in Google releasing these firehose files. Arbiration opt-out be damned, if it takes hold that will likely not have much weight in the matter (IANAL).
    Sorry to hear, don't blame u at all being rather pissed, I'm not happy either having a pix 3.

One important thing though, the firehose would give us access in EDL mode, but **if** the problem is failed hardware, then there's nothing that could be done even with the firehose.

That may be why google is approaching this as they are, they may prefer to leave this as a *mystery*, rather than have it be known as hardware failure. Additionally, I"ve read of this now starting to occur with the 4a and the 4.

I'ts a pretty big mess really. I'm personally switching back to my LG preference for daily driver. Last thing I'd like to have happen is to need to make an emergency call or something, and find the device is dead.

cheers
    This happened to my gf's 100% stock, Google Store bought, bootloader locked, Pixel 3XL in January. Unfortunately I searched and searched and found nothing else for the Pixels. Plenty of info on LG phones and I think even OnePlus but nothing to help my case specifically. I tried many random attempts at ADB and Fastboot commands... Nothing seemed to work and I set the phone down for a couple months...

Then one random day in March I decided to plug the phone in to charge, by this time she was using my Pixel 3 because I bought the Pixel 5... The phone decided to turn on and show the Google logo and it actually booted up!!! So after thinking the display was busted somehow, it turned on long enough for me to factory reset the phone... As the phone was booting back up, the loading bar under the Google logo was moving for a couple of mins, then the screen went blank and I haven't been able to get it to turn on since March...

I thought that if I left it alone and drained the battery all the way down like I did the first time, that it would turn on again once I plugged it in... Still no luck and I'm not giving up on this phone...

So if someone finds out how to get this thing working, I can get it booted back up and maybe sell it or trade it in for the Pixel 6 in a couple of months... Thanks for the thread! Gives me hope that someone will eventually find a fix for this...

In case anyone missed it because I read this entire thread, the display is certainly not busted, don't waste your time with Google telling you to replace the display...

So maybe this is a little info to help understand the situation better.

When a phone is in EDL (Emergency Download Mode), the screen is always completely blank. And the only way you know it's in edl mode is (as has been mentioned) when it's usb connected and in device manager you'll see the (as title mentions) QUSB_BULK etc.

So, what this means is 1) the phone isn't completely dead 2) but the only way you can access the phone is with qualcomm qfil type software, which talks to a qualcomm device that's in edl mode.

Normally, edl mode happens on purpose, meaning you intentionally press the appropriate keys to put the device in that mode. But in this case, it's happening because there's (more than likely) something wrong with the bootloader, and it's going into edl mode by itself (it can't do anything else). But, it is telling that the1dynasty actually had his bootup once, surprisingly, that seems to suggest it's hw related (where heat etc can sometimes affect it's working or not).

Just to clarify, I've no idea if there is a solution, but IT IS NOT a problem with the screen, a blank screen in edl mode is EXACTLY the way it's suppose to behave (in that mode). And replacing the screen will be very expensive and will do absolutely nothing to fix the problem (as has been pointed out by at least one person already).

I've had an LGV40 and for it, we have a file called a 'firehose'. That's a very specific file that allows you, while in edl mode, to modify the device (and that's why I know about edl mode). You basically have complete control of the device, i.e. you can change any partition. Unfortunately, the needed firehose file is 'device specific', and there isn't one for the pixel 3 (or any pixel afaik).

So, just to reiterate what the1dynasty is saying, it's NOT the screen! Don't let anyone tell you it is. I wish I knew what would fix it, at this point it's sounding hw related, but we may never know for sure.

cheers
    This happened to my gf's 100% stock, Google Store bought, bootloader locked, Pixel 3XL in January. Unfortunately I searched and searched and found nothing else for the Pixels. Plenty of info on LG phones and I think even OnePlus but nothing to help my case specifically. I tried many random attempts at ADB and Fastboot commands... Nothing seemed to work and I set the phone down for a couple months...

Then one random day in March I decided to plug the phone in to charge, by this time she was using my Pixel 3 because I bought the Pixel 5... The phone decided to turn on and show the Google logo and it actually booted up!!! So after thinking the display was busted somehow, it turned on long enough for me to factory reset the phone... As the phone was booting back up, the loading bar under the Google logo was moving for a couple of mins, then the screen went blank and I haven't been able to get it to turn on since March...

I thought that if I left it alone and drained the battery all the way down like I did the first time, that it would turn on again once I plugged it in... Still no luck and I'm not giving up on this phone...

So if someone finds out how to get this thing working, I can get it booted back up and maybe sell it or trade it in for the Pixel 6 in a couple of months... Thanks for the thread! Gives me hope that someone will eventually find a fix for this...

In case anyone missed it because I read this entire thread, the display is certainly not busted, don't waste your time with Google telling you to replace the display...
    Sorry to necro this thread, but this literally just happened to me over night. Did anyone find any solutions or am I SOL?
    I was SOL. The 4a is nice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    There was apparently a software fix in one of the updates so if you make sure it's on the latest firmware you should be fine.

I question that there has been any fix. I have a bone stock (developer options enabled) 3xl which I bought new from google. Woke up yesterday January 3rd used phone for an hour, set it on my desk and 15 minutes later was DOA, stuck in EDL mode. I was on android 12 with the latest updates available.